AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-11, 08:07   Link #81
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
By the way, this time I paid attention to what wao has mentioned regarding episode 1.

The hair of 4 main characters is filled by simple smooth solid color, while the hair of everyone else is colored by gradient volumetric shading. I am not sure if it's cel-shaded, but if it is, it's quite subtle.

Here's a good example, if you are not following me.

MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 08:15   Link #82
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Oh,I see.It remind me of Gankutsuou, is it the same method?

The fist ep was a little boring,especially the crying part but the animation was beautiful and the main characters look great so I will continiue to watch.
And what the people who live in New-York think of the anime version?
Old 2006-10-11, 08:20   Link #83
AisuruMirai
箱者

Episode 2 was indeed powerful, both in its action & its acting. More singing, too, which leads me to believe that this will be a regular thing. Now the flyer that eggplant posted makes more sense:

Quote:
I went to the RED GARDEN screening event today.

The above is a scan of the poster flyer I received.
Spoiler for episode 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
But... but... where's the fat people? >_>
They're eating BigMacs while driving their SUVs to work, so you don't see them. If I'm not mistaken, more than half of Americans are overweight & about 30% of those are obese. Don't come to America--we will eat you. Not me, I won't eat you (菜食主義者で食べたくない). But Americans really are like vampires in certain respects.

I'd honestly much rather see anorexic-looking characters (like Kate & Liz) than obese or even chubby ones, even if it means less realism. (That goes for male & female characters.) It's anime after all; not everything should be realistic.

では、
アイスル未来

Last edited by AisuruMirai; 2006-10-11 at 13:04. Reason: I like semicolons.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 08:34   Link #84
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae View Post
Oh,I see.It remind me of Gankutsuou, is it the same method?
Not quite.

Gankutsuoh used static patterns, while Red Garden has normal solid color. Gankutsuoh made those patterns its own special gimmick, while in Red Garden this little subtelty is not, in my opinion, supposed to mean anything besides the fact that these girls are special.

You might say that with Red Garden, they are trying to subtly differenciate the girls from "normal people". While in Gankutsuoh the special patterns were used as a ding an sich, a thing in itself, a separate artistic choice.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 08:50   Link #85
wao
OK.

Just in from episode 2. This was again a well-directed episode - I thought the splicing of the 'normal life' scenes with the 'horror' scenes was expertly done because I didn't feel like either one dragged on for too long.

But the real star of today's episode was, beyond doubt the voice acting. (IMHO, of course.)
I was really bowled over by the performances. I can see a lot of people getting pissed with this episode because there was a lot of screaming girls - but this is one of the very few times it's worked so well for me. In every scream, you could feel the true fear of the girls from running away from that thing. I've had dreams like that and once ended up screaming myself awake...

Coupled with the tense direction, I couldn't help but end up unconsciously going "eee!" at one point. Without even thinking! I don't think that's ever happened to me besides in the first episode of Blood+ when it comes to TV anime. I was so surprised!

But seriously, I felt the pain,tension, fear and relief of the characters for the most part. I was really impressed by the way that they could infuse even their breathing with these feelings. For example, Kate's trip to the washroom near the end... When they're all together hiding beside a car and they're still breathing quickly or whimpering even while the other two are talking, you can really feel the atmosphere.

In fact, it was almost funny at one point - where Kate and Rose are talking to each other on that rooftop - where the animation is so static that when Kate is speaking full of emotion and with so much variation, her face isn't reflective of it. The animation could be better, you know, considering that they've got prerecorded acting. But I guess they wanted to focus on the really pretty drawings. It was sufficient for the most part though (although the animation of the monster-man was a bit distractingly off)

I was kind of disappointed that the singing still continued.
Spoiler for not really a spoiler, but to save space:

In the context of eggplant's poster which AisuruMirai pointed at, it seems like there is a point. But still... meh.

As for what happened, maybe some people will be disappointed, some people wouldn't, but I don't think it was really that bad.
Spoiler for ep 2, really a spoiler:

EDIT: By the way, Lula looks really vampirish if you saw the screenshot that says "00:18:10" on MrProphets screenshots here.
Old 2006-10-11, 09:28   Link #86
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Ep 2 was indeed powerful, I was at the edge of my seat the whole ep. The directing is great. I like how they interleave the fighting with the normal life. It really worked for me. I especially like the part where:

Spoiler for ep2:

The voice acting was awesome. It felt different; it felt real. Perhaps that's because they used prescoring? I was amazed at the scene where:

Spoiler for ep2:

I agree that the singing bit was weird, especially since they have Lula sang as well. But the songs were nice if they didn't sing off-key. lol. I hope when they release the OSTs, they would have non-off-key versions.

Oh, btw, the character design of the man who always stand behind Lula always remind me of someone from Witch Hunter Robin. Hmm....

Edit: Also, I like the fact that the characters don't just wear one set of clothing. They seems to change clothes every now and then.

One thing that's not too good is that the characters don't have much expressions. Often times, only there mouths move and their faces stay still for a few seconds.

Last edited by DoReMiFaSo; 2006-10-11 at 10:24.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 12:36   Link #87
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AisuruMirai
I'd honestly much rather see anorexic-looking characters (like Kate & Liz) than obese or even chubby ones, even if it means less realism.
For girls attending elite private schools (particularly in fashion-conscious New York), anorexic is realistic. Eating disorders are quite the problem. (But there still should be at least a few plus-sized girls, and boys, in the picture.)
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 15:25   Link #88
Vulcannis

Did anyone else find the student president & merry band a little odd? Now I never went to private school so I may be mistaken, but it just seemed so Japanese to have students roaming the halls giving out punishment slips, meeting with the head of the school, etc.. Even the school itself looked a little out of place--I kept thinking the school from Gokujo Seitokai got transplanted to New York.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 16:46   Link #89
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It's also odd that all the monster hunters so far are from that school.
Old 2006-10-11, 17:56   Link #90
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Intresting first episode its going to take me a while to get use to the animation and charcter designs. I think i can get pass that as long as the story stays intresting. So far i like how story line and potential for it to get even creepier is there. I am very intrested to see how they are going to portray NYC its always fun to see how the Japanese view westerners.
Old 2006-10-12, 01:59   Link #91
Nagato Yuki

Episode2 really thrilled me, and Voice actor's screaming was very real.
But, I feel that musical interludes don't fit in with the rest of the play.
It seems important part, but I can't understand that lyrics.
Does anybody understand that lyrics?
Nagato Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 05:13   Link #92
yjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewGSR View Post
Man WTH did I just watch. I'm so not feeling the character designs, seriously I was like omg these are some FUGLY ass character geezus; Its liek really hurting my eyes looking at some of the characters.

Have no lcue wtf is going on, I'll do my usual and give the show a few eps before I decide to drop it or continue with it, but first episode my response = WTF...
Anime is not just big eyed looking retards, robots and learning a few Japanese phrases!

It's nice to see something stray from the path a bit more every once in a while.
yjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 09:09   Link #93
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 1
What everyone else said. Except that I actually liked the sobbing song, it made me teary...

I also want to emphasis that the opening is very beautiful with the roses and butterflies filling silhoutes. And ofcourse the song is mellow. I really like it.

I think it's the first anime that totally engaged me in the episode. It felt as if I was with them. I'll keep watching it just to know if it's horror or... "fashion"? They wear good makeup, nice dresses and shiny shoes.
Old 2006-10-12, 09:16   Link #94
chrno_the_sinner

My guess is that as the girls grow into their new lives, the songs will begin to get less and less off key, as a sort of metaphor.

Anyways, I'm still really digging this show.

And really, how many anime do you see that has overweight characters? And for that matter, how many movies or american products show overweight characters. Not many, that's for sure.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 10:51   Link #95
ShellyKukai

I enjoyed episode one and I appreciate the unique artwork.
I hope 2 and 3 are released soon.
ShellyKukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 12:16   Link #96
sumomorei

I think that this is one of the better shows this season. I will definitely continue watching Red Garden. Its a pity that people do not want to try watching it because of the character designs.

I think that the off-tune singing is actually quite bearable compared to the first episode of 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' (Now, THAT is horrible)
sumomorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 13:00   Link #97
Memoo

I'll first say my impression from the first episode-
There are some good animes that have been released lately, but this one was... special.
The atmosphere in this episode was unique. Maybe it's the characters, maybe it's the different art[which I like and hate at the same time. :P], or the song of Kate at the middle of the episode.
At first when I saw the picture on AniDB, I thought it was going to be an anime about some dancing girls, or something like that.
I was not, and still am not, interested in watching an anime about dancing girls...(not that I have any problem with such an anime. It just does not interest me...)
So I said from the beginning that I wouldn't download it.[I didn't even bother to read the summary...]
Then I read in some place a bit about the anime, and said, "Okay, I'll give it a chance," and I realize now that I shouldn't judge an anime by its picture on AniDB. :P
The episode was really, really good, in my opinion. It wasn't boring at all(someone said here it bored him).
The best first episode I've ever watched was Blood+'s, which was full of horror and stuff, and that one[red garden's]... can just touch the first rank, but is right after blood+.[If I ever made 'best first episode' list, blood+ would be the first, and after it, Red garden].

Many people didn't like the sad part, in which Kate walks while singing a sad song, but, hey, have you even seen such a part in any other anime?
I must say, I've watched many animes, and have never seen such a part. I really liked it!
Kate's singing was realistic... it was full of sadness... and it didn't sound as if the dubber(or seyuu, or whatever) is a singer, which made it more realistic.

I really hope that this anime is gonna continue as it started, and won't disappoint me, and I'm sure you all hope that.

I haven't watched episode two, because I do not understand japanese(so I don't download the RAW version, like some of you ;P), but after reading a bit(didn't want spoilers, so just read a bit :X), it seems the second episode is a good one as well as the first one.
Thanks for reading. =] [wow... I really needed a place to write that about this anime xD]
And... sorry if I had some spelling mistakes, and stuff... I just learn english at school. I do not speak it.(but I like it, the language...)
Memoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 14:18   Link #98
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagato Yuki View Post
Episode2 really thrilled me, and Voice actor's screaming was very real.
But, I feel that musical interludes don't fit in with the rest of the play.
It seems important part, but I can't understand that lyrics.
Does anybody understand that lyrics?
I could make out some of the lyrics:
Spoiler:

I hope it's not asking too much, but could someone help out? I suck. Also, there's that song from the 1st episode....お願いいたします。

では、
アイスル未来

Last edited by AisuruMirai; 2006-10-12 at 20:49.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 14:43   Link #99
molitar

But I'm curious what killed the girls? The scene just showed all of them dropping. More like they a sleeping gas or something not something that looked like it killed them. So what killed the girls? And why return them to their beds as if nothing happened than summon them out at night and tell them to attack that what appears to be some type of Lycanthrope without explaining anything to them.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 15:12   Link #100
Memoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
But I'm curious what killed the girls? The scene just showed all of them dropping. More like they a sleeping gas or something not something that looked like it killed them. So what killed the girls? And why return them to their beds as if nothing happened than summon them out at night and tell them to attack that what appears to be some type of Lycanthrope without explaining anything to them.
I'm as curious as you are...
but... I'm sure we'll have some more explaination... this is just the first episode.
I also wonder... who exactly is this couple(the man and woman), and why did they choose those four girls?
Will the detectives have some more role during the anime?(o.o I don't know why I want to know that.)
Liz, or whatever was her name... how did she die, suicide or homicide? :P
What was that man, what you called, Lycanthrope?
but, it's just the first episode... I'm sure most of them will be answered~

Again, I'm sorry if I had some spelling mistakes and such~
c ya~
Memoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural