AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of...

Notices

Old 2007-07-02, 13:36   Link #81
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

^I'm not really sure either how they're going to fit the game into 4 ep, seems like the 1st ep only touched the edge of the story, but I still loved it lol

ToS was the first Tales game I ever had so I have high expectations for this
Old 2007-07-02, 13:40   Link #82
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Though i am worried about the pacing... i haven't played the game, obviously, but i can not imagine any decent game-based story to fit in to 4 episodes. Oh well - guess i will just pray for the best... though i bet i will end up with a summary of the game in hand.
It won't fit. And it was altered by a bit already in the first episode. It's been a while since I played the game but I remember it as really awesome.
With the OVA only having 4 episodes and the first one being no more than decent I can't really say my expectations for the anime are all that high though.
Old 2007-07-02, 14:32   Link #83
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I thought it was a decent enough 1st ep. Didn't know it was based on a game (picked it up on a whim), but 2 minutes in to the story i thought: "I will be damned if this isn't based on a game ". Well... i love good, old, traditional RPGs, so i like the premise. Though i am worried about the pacing... i haven't played the game, obviously, but i can not imagine any decent game-based story to fit in to 4 episodes. Oh well - guess i will just pray for the best... though i bet i will end up with a summary of the game in hand.
The pace is actually rushed, while you might think the story is a bit slow on the first OAV.

technically, it isn't even the prologue per se, considering it is simply the introduction of the given world and characters.

But truthfully, i would suggest you to play the game itself : the plot itself is rather bland on paper, but the development, the twists and other factors make TOS pretty unique, despite the "cliché" vibes you can get at first.

I'm satisfied with the first OAV, though the differences are either good or bad, depending of the situations :
Spoiler for game spoilers, basing on the start:
The oav is fine, regarding the chara design.
Plot wise, i liked some changes, but there were lots of points which were extremely weird...
i'm waiting for the OAV2... i hope they won't screw colette's angel transformation (and the drama around), or else, i think i will be vulgar...
Old 2007-07-02, 14:52   Link #84
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Thanks for the rundown As expected, quite a lot of changes, though it might be them trying to alter the story a bit, in order to cram it in to 4 episodes, ne ? Play the game? Hm ... i would, but as i understand it is not available on PC, and there is only a japanese version for PS2, right ? *sigh*
Old 2007-07-02, 14:56   Link #85
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

No, the Game was originally released on Nintendo Gamecube.
it had been translated in various language and is available in US and Europe.
(however, don't expect a Grade A english dub... it is decent though)

The PS2 version is indeed only for Japan : it is the same game, with some change (basically : extended dungeon, new moves/Hi-Ougi, new costumes, etc).
for obvious exclusivity and right issues (since the translation rights belong to nintendo, and not Namco for the American and European version of TOS GC), this version won't be adapted outside of Japan

As for the content itself, it is absolutely impossible to squeeze the plot into 4, even butchering it won't be enough. (the story itself worth like 2 season of 26 episodes to say the least). While Tales of Phantasia was quite cut like mad, TOS would have a pretty much worse demise if they try to do the same thing.
i think they will simply stay on the first "arc" of the journey.
Old 2007-07-03, 13:21   Link #86
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No, the Game was originally released on Nintendo Gamecube.
it had been translated in various language and is available in US and Europe.
(however, don't expect a Grade A english dub... it is decent though)

The PS2 version is indeed only for Japan : it is the same game, with some change (basically : extended dungeon, new moves/Hi-Ougi, new costumes, etc).
for obvious exclusivity and right issues (since the translation rights belong to nintendo, and not Namco for the American and European version of TOS GC), this version won't be adapted outside of Japan

As for the content itself, it is absolutely impossible to squeeze the plot into 4, even butchering it won't be enough. (the story itself worth like 2 season of 26 episodes to say the least). While Tales of Phantasia was quite cut like mad, TOS would have a pretty much worse demise if they try to do the same thing.
i think they will simply stay on the first "arc" of the journey.

Oww man I kinda want to see
Spoiler for game:
Old 2007-07-03, 14:20   Link #87
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

well... you should put the spoiler title as "end game spoiler ^^"

there is however no chance for any of the 2 points you mentionned, especially the last point : this is really a sub quest, which is really irrelevant to the main plot, sadly.

but i understand this part would be an epic animated battle.
Spoiler for end game:

sometimes, I just wish to got the PS2 version, for his Mania Mode. (the amount of Hi-Ougi in this fight is just indecent )
Old 2007-07-03, 22:50   Link #88
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for end game:

Hmm those are pretty crazy, but I would rather see some animated versions of:

Spoiler for Game Spell:
Old 2007-07-04, 10:00   Link #89
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Klashikari - this game has an english version, so please use english names when talking about it. I haven't got a frickin' clue what you're on about with some of those names, and I've played this game some 8 or 9 times.

Also:

Spoiler for Genis:
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 23:25   Link #90
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Lol same here radiosity...Granted its been a while since I beat the thing but yea.

As for the episode count and whats gonna happen...

Spoiler:

At the very least id like to see presea smack something with her axe a few times dangit...But yea...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 06:15   Link #91
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Klashikari - this game has an english version, so please use english names when talking about it. I haven't got a frickin' clue what you're on about with some of those names, and I've played this game some 8 or 9 times.
my bad
actually, i used some original terms, since i don't have any english version, but the french one, and it ISN'T really a faifthul translation. (example : Victory Light Spear became "Super Lance de Lumière", which is translated in EN as "Super Victory Light Spear", and so forth). also this was an habit used on a TOS forum ^^"

Spoiler for Skills Names:

did i forgot a term?

Quote:
Also:
Spoiler for Genis:
That is correct. however, my summary was following the pace of the OVA. the comment, whilst vague, was referring of the Prophecy scene, where he didn't act at all. (collette did, but not really had the chance to do so...)

@Kimichi : what i can imagine here : they will probably set a seal for each next OVA, and will show an open end, where the party will goes to the Tower of Salvation.
ho well... more possible/fancy theorycraft when the OV2 is aired.
Old 2007-07-05, 09:21   Link #92
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Thanks for clearing those up I play with voices off (erg, horrible dubbing...) so I don't hear anything bad guys say when fighting them. I prefer silence when fighting though.

And in fact, it kinda looks more like Tiger Rage than Tiger Blade. Tiger Blade is a simple up down attack, but Lloyd attacks midway as well, turning it into something more like Tiger Rage. Guess it was simply to look more impressive.
Old 2007-07-05, 09:40   Link #93
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Thanks for clearing those up I play with voices off (erg, horrible dubbing...) so I don't hear anything bad guys say when fighting them. I prefer silence when fighting though.
i suggest you to search for various Youtube/Holystar videos of PS2 version.
Many "baddy" voices are just too sexy (abyssions is one of these pure "sexy" voice. lots of angst and rage unlike the... half ass distorded and funny US voice...)
Quote:
And in fact, it kinda looks more like Tiger Rage than Tiger Blade. Tiger Blade is a simple up down attack, but Lloyd attacks midway as well, turning it into something more like Tiger Rage. Guess it was simply to look more impressive.
yes indeed, i was also hesistating between the 2. as you said, it is somewhat a Tiger Blade with a mid air addionnal attack.
Tiger Rage woud be Lloyd spinning, dealing like 5-6 attacks while mid-air

Hope he will use someday Akuzamene (Swords Rain Alpha) and Renkuuzan (Tempest)

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-07-05 at 10:04.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 10:02   Link #94
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

If the voices were Japanese I'd leave them on. It's precisely because they're horrible dubs that I leave them off. Though hearing attack names screamed out constantly gets on my tits anyway, so I'd be unlikely to leave them on permanently. And i've already seen plenty of PS2 youtube videos thanks, it just reinforces my opinion that europe always gets the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
Hope he will use someday Akuzamene (Swords Rain Alpha) and Renkuuzan (Tempest)
I want to see Genis casting high level magic like Indignation or Explosion (Meteor Storm is too much to hope for though heh). I'd also like to see some of Colette's angel abilities, though how exactly they intend to handle the whole angel thing I really don't know.
Old 2007-07-05, 13:20   Link #95
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Talking about skills in ToS now lol

Iono, I guess seeing the spells would be really awesome, but how about some UNISON ATTACKS????

Fiery Beast would probably look cool

and also any of the Hi-ougi's would be great visually
Old 2007-07-05, 13:34   Link #96
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Open endings...blah...Probably will be though.

And yea some of genis' higher level spells or one of the heavier hitting unison attacks would be lovely to see animated.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 20:03   Link #97
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Prism Stars ftw Same as Meteor Storm though, don't see it happening. They might surprise us though I guess
Old 2007-07-06, 00:00   Link #98
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Episode was pretty cool, although the changed stuff really makes the fact that it's non-canon stand out. However, I preferred the anime version of a few things:

- Lloyd pwning the Desian with Tiger Blade, even though it did look like Tiger Rage.

- Lloyd vs. Forcystus, and the fact that he didn't look like a chump (both Lloyd and Forcystus, particularly the latter who got owned by a single slash).

- Nixing Marble and making the reason the Desians attacked being the "Exsphere" (you who played the game know the reason for the parenthesis )

- Lloyd leaving the village on his own accord instead of the entire town losing their "grapefruits" and bitching. Bugged me in the game that he'd take guff for saving their asses, just like it bugged me in Secret of Mana when the same thing happened.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 14:18   Link #99
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

OMG I would love to see this animated :
Spoiler for Abyssion:
Old 2007-08-10, 14:04   Link #100
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Episode 2 of the OVA is now available. (Raw is currently floating around on usual places)

i didn't get my hands on it yet, but 2 confirmed characters are there : Sheena and Zelos!

i don't have any clue how they were able to go so batshit in timejump, but it looks like it will be hell confusing like TOP OVA.
let's wait for the subs.