AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-30, 00:00   Link #1
Freeter
beyond

G-Maru Edition

The latest series from Mizuki Kawashita (Ichigo 100%, Hatsukoi Limited, Ane Doki), serialized in the quarterly JUMP SQ.19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon (partial edits by me)
A young girl (Kaburagi Aruto) aspiring to become a shoujo mangaka discovers she is fated to become a renowned hentai manga artist (thanks to a time-traveling robot named G-Maru who is also her biggest fan ).
Yes, it's a crazy premise, it's filled to the brim with ecchiness, and is so lowbrow even the most devoted Kawashita fan might turn away in disgust.

Yet I enjoyed what I've read so far. Why, you ask?

Because this is Kawashita unhinged. No longer worrying about rankings or catering to a specific fanbase (*cough*Nishino*cough*), she goes straight for the jugular and doesn't hold back. It's as unapologetic as it is perverted, and that's what makes it such a guilty pleasure.

Obviously drawing inspiration from Kentarou Yabuki (who had two long-running hits and a possible third with Mayoi Neko Overrun!, whereas she had two recent failures), Kawashita completely satirizes ToLoveRu while poking fun at her own works, and possibly herself (perhaps she did aspire to be a shoujo mangaka at one point). The premise also opens up the possibility of parodying other JUMP-related titles, so while I doubt it'll ever be on the same level of wackiness as Gintama, at least it'll be a fun ride while it lasts.

I've always said that Kawashita should veer away from Weekly JUMP and do a seinen work since she'd have more leeway to do things her way, and from what I've seen so far with G-Maru Edition, it seems SQ.19 is letting her do just that. It may not be the heart-wrenching romantic fluff that fans normally expect from her, but it's manic enough to be enjoyable in its own right.

Thoughts, comments, haterade, let it rain. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to more of the Kotegawa-inspired closet yuri freak

Last edited by Freeter; 2011-02-22 at 01:10.
Old 2010-08-30, 00:37   Link #2
Jze0
Hmmm...

I would say from the first three chapters out right now its alright. Its definitely different from what we normally see from Kawashita... makes me wonder if Jump really is letting her do what she wants for a change? Either way I'll stick around for a bit and see where she goes with this and maybe for once it won't end up like her last couple of series.

PS. Hope it doesn't turn yuri...
Old 2010-08-30, 03:37   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Might as well just post what i said in the Ane-Doki thread.

Yeah i really enjoyed it a lot. I prefer Kawashita doing romance, though looking at how eechi her works have been, i've got nothing against just focusing on that, and adding in a light comedy story. It's great fun, and hope we get more then just the three chapters.

Must say that i did find it a hilarious that it's about a girl wants to write shoujo manga, though is known for erotic manga. That's basically Kawashita's life story.
Old 2010-08-30, 04:46   Link #4
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Are you guys 100% sure that G-maru is fully serialized and open-ended ongoing? I'm not sure if this can work well as a full-fledged series for long. I like the ecchi stuff as I already mentioned in the AD thread but at the same time I am concerned about this being the only feature of the "series".
Although it would be monthly if actually serialized I don't think eyecandy is enough to personally keep me interested for long and I kinda doubt the story will, although the idea is nice and quite fresh (at least for me).
Old 2010-08-30, 06:59   Link #5
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

To be honest, I thought that this was a rejected series she had stored in her workshop, and got brought out just because she was asked to contribute something to the new magazine.

'twas okay, really. Nothing impressive, it just felt like it was the first 3 chapters of a series from WSJ (as I suspect it is ...) I don't think that it can be serialised for long, there were some hints at fighting your destiny and some plot points to go from, but I feel like I'm giving this manga too much credit (but hey, JUMP SQ.19 is quarterly, so I guess she has more time to think about it so who knows? She might think of way's to make it good).

========================

Mizuki Kawashita has always been a strange case for me. My first true exposure to her work was through Hatsukoi Limited. Even though she had a few inane storylines here and there (anyone remember the bomb subplot?) I found myself enjoying the majority of the chapters and followed it to it's completion.

There is no denying that she is a good artist, and when she puts her mind to it she can produce outstanding artwork, yet at the same time she can never manage to keep her stories consistently good. She can make them entertaining, she can certainly make them fun from time to time, but I'd hard pressed to say that anyone of her work was ''overall good''. The closest any of her manga that came close was Ichigo 100%. Sure, it had problems (an indecisive male protagonist who was channeling every spineless harem lead, cases of excessive padding, etc.) but I still hold it as her ''best'' work.

Even with these problems, I still consider myself a Kawashita fan, but if this is true
Quote:
Because this is Kawashita unhinged. No longer worrying about rankings or catering to a specific fanbase (*cough*Nishino*cough*), she goes straight for the jugular and doesn't hold back. It's as unapologetic as it is perverted, and that's what makes it such a guilty pleasure.
then I hope she can find a semi-competent or decent writer she can team up with, because if this is what Kawashita is like unhinged, I strongly doubt she can ever produce anything outside of guilty pleasures.
Old 2010-08-30, 07:15   Link #6
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Are you guys 100% sure that G-maru is fully serialized and open-ended ongoing? I'm not sure if this can work well as a full-fledged series for long. I like the ecchi stuff as I already mentioned in the AD thread but at the same time I am concerned about this being the only feature of the "series".
Although it would be monthly if actually serialized I don't think eyecandy is enough to personally keep me interested for long and I kinda doubt the story will, although the idea is nice and quite fresh (at least for me).
Well usually the problem with weekly series that are episodic is that you can feel it getting old real fast (if handled incorrectly), it should work to kawashita's advantage that this series is running quarterly.
Old 2010-08-30, 07:18   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well then, I'll just copy-paste my post as well

A young girl aspiring to become a shoujo mangaka discovers she is fated to become a renowned hentai manga artist. Is Kawashita-sensei hinting at her own future? Just kidding

I liked those chapters a lot. The premise is very interesting and vaguely reminded me of Bakuman and Doraemon (in fact there was a reference). Very enjoyable if you don't mind ecchi. Eh, I just knew that class president (who apprently isn't one) would turn out to be a secret pervert. Moreover she's into yuri, so this is relevant to my interest.

This is very different from her previous works but I think it could work. I wouldn't mind this being serialized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
It's still just a one shot as far as I know, which is why I wasn't sure whether to create a thread for it. I think this series has a lot of potential beyond the ecchi. This could become some sort of perverted and more humorous Bakuman. It could also turn into a shoujo story if G maru somehow gets his body back, as she mentioned he was exactly her type. Kotegawa clone (I admit she was the first character I thought about) could also join in to form a love triangle, but would she go after G maru or Aruto?
Old 2010-08-30, 10:41   Link #8
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's still just a one shot as far as I know, which is why I wasn't sure whether to create a thread for it. I think this series has a lot of potential beyond the ecchi. This could become some sort of perverted and more humorous Bakuman. It could also turn into a shoujo story if G maru somehow gets his body back, as she mentioned he was exactly her type. Kotegawa clone (I admit she was the first character I thought about) could also join in to form a love triangle, but would she go after G maru or Aruto?
Just curious, what exactly about this still makes it seem like a one shot. There was a one shot way back when and now there are sequential chapters, it's also being continued in the next issue. So it's serialized.
Old 2010-08-30, 11:53   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

A one shot can consist of several chapters. The first chapter refered to this work as a one shot (actually, I'm not completely sure, but I see 読切 on the cover page and the official Jump SQ.19 website) and "a short light comedy series", a subsequent chapter was already planned back then since there was a "To be continued" at the end of it. For me, it means that it was meant to be a several chapters long one shot from the start.

I guess you could say that while it's technically serialized, it's not officially acknowledged as such.
Old 2010-08-30, 19:39   Link #10
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Actually, I have a question. What exactly is the nature of series serialised in JSQ19? According to wiki the magazine will include ''one-shots and spin-offs'' but nothing about a continued serialisation of new series (yes I know that wiki isn't that great to get info, but that's why I'm asking ...).

To me it looks like this is more like a promotional mag to show case some work of authors they cant show else where. The release schedule doesn't really look that good to gather regular readership.
Old 2010-08-31, 06:45   Link #11
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
hmm...*marathonized all chapter in 1/2 hour*
what a wreck....feel like read Hayate no Gotoku but with better drawing style.

25 points for humor
35 points for picture/drawing style
25 points for ecchiness
15 points for plot/or storyline

what a terrible score for Kawashita sensei. This is the worst score I ever give to her works
Old 2010-08-31, 12:47   Link #12
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Nooo! That serious looking girl is actually a rotten yuri mangaka-wannabe!
Old 2010-08-31, 13:21   Link #13
surerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
Nooo! That serious looking girl is actually a rotten yuri mangaka-wannabe!
that's what you got for judge the book by it's cover
like our killer society motto:
"zoom in first before kill"
btw...
mangafox reader quite like it (?!)
Old 2011-02-17, 16:29   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I bet everyone forgot about this already, heh? I sure did. Anyhow, the fourth chapter will come out in this month's SQ 19. Here's a little sneak peek:

http://toloverulove.blog121.fc2.com/...ntry-1172.html

I like what I see. That blogger likes to focus on the naughty stuff, so keep in mind this is not necessarily representative of the chapter as a whole.
Old 2011-02-17, 20:18   Link #15
Freeter
beyond

Forgot? No way. I've been anticipating this along with TLRD #0.

Star nips? Kawashita is such a cocktease
Old 2011-02-17, 23:34   Link #16
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Certainly didn't forget it, I was heartbroken when it wasn't in last quarter's issue.
Old 2011-02-18, 09:57   Link #17
surerman
Banned

Quote:
I bet everyone forgot about this already, heh? I sure did. Anyhow, the fourth chapter will come out in this month's SQ 19. Here's a little sneak peek:

http://toloverulove.blog121.fc2.com/...ntry-1172.html

I like what I see. That blogger likes to focus on the naughty stuff, so keep in mind this is not necessarily representative of the chapter as a whole.
so...they went ecchi and G-Maru still not satisfied since it's "just" level 5
more importantly, I'm amazed with this blogger skill to create such interesting expression with that cat like symbols

hope the scanlator grab it fast
Old 2011-02-18, 10:08   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The chapter was only 16 pages again, including the color page... orz. Aruto's delusions are pretty hot. Unfortunately, reality didn't really match up to it.

Yuri girl is very cute. She reminds me a lot of Yui from TLR.
Old 2011-02-18, 10:30   Link #19
surerman
Banned

Quote:
The chapter was only 16 pages again, including the color page... orz. Aruto's delusions are pretty hot. Unfortunately, reality didn't really match up to it.

Yuri girl is very cute. She reminds me a lot of Yui from TLR.
I have a request for U:
Please don't mentioned that bitch BukkakeGawa Yuri name again in this thread, I hate her intention to steal Rito from Lala (the one most work-hard-to get-Rito's Love) especially with her Tsundere attitude, throw her a monkey (Saru) for mate, and leave Rito for Lala.
One who not work hard didn't deserve to eat/live/be loved, and you know what? even in our Killer society, steal a mate from it's owner is a grief crime and punished veeeery very PAINFULLY.

back to topic:
the new chapter cover Aruto and that Stern girl remind me of certain games...it's lingering in my head but can't say it...*mutter mutter* hmm...what that's game name again?....

btw, Look like G-Maru not the only one travel through time to mess Aruto's life
Don't tell me G-Maru summons all Aruto-Future-Fans to cheer their Ero-Goddess - Sensei to follow the "Right Path"
Old 2011-02-18, 10:51   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I bet everyone forgot about this already, heh? I sure did.
Certainly not.

16 pages is D: though.