*Fansubber

just guessing
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ght=reputation
Old 2011-02-03, 02:01   Link #182
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Checking with NightWish's posts [1][2] confirms the actual figures are at: 77 posts over exactly 4hours 35mins; so it's under 100 posts , approximately 17 posts/hour which I'd say is reasonable

*is suspecious of NightWish's perfect post timing*
17 posts per hour is very much more than 100 posts per day. Even if you define a "day" as 8 hours long (it's not; if I check the forums once a day I check it every 24 hours), that's still 136 posts. If we let it be the full 24 hours, that's suddenly 408 posts per day. That's most definitely "flooding in."

The posts I used as my source were the first and last ones (for me) on February 1st.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...20#post3466120
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...30#post3467730

125 - 14 = 111 posts per day.
Old 2011-02-03, 03:20   Link #183
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Answer to sample riddle:http://forums.animesuki.com/memberlist.php
Forum consists of all members
30 rows
5 columns
combined rep beats anyone by far
I think you got it right. I went there too but all I was looking for is a member, but the whole list makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
If your riddle is hard enough to not be solved in two weeks, you get the point instead. Yes, those submitting riddles are still at a slight disadvantage, but that's why you get a small reward (I think I said it was 25 or 50 reputation points, have to check the post) regardless of the outcome simply for having your riddle selected for the contest.

Well, I just now noticed but, wait, two weeks? Isn't that a little overkill? That'd mean the longest the game can go on is for 10 friggin' months? I think we only need a few days at most.

Last edited by Ziziphus; 2011-02-03 at 04:51. Reason: merging two posts
Ziziphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 04:14   Link #184
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Similar reasoning as Rennir, but I provide this link instead because it also lists people according to their reputation in descending order.
Already posted it

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Old 2011-02-03, 11:26   Link #185
Kafriel
Senior Guest

So, the second riddle only took an hour? Missed it asleep once more...well, at least it's fun reading all the replies
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 11:52   Link #186
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Well, I just now noticed but, wait, two weeks? Isn't that a little overkill? That'd mean the longest the game can go on is for 10 friggin' months? I think we only need a few days at most.
I wouldn't go for anything less then a week; so enough people can see it. I think two weeks is pretty good; personally I would have either gone with a month or adjusted the time based on the difficulty of the riddle. And you are incorrect, the riddle can go for up to two weeks, that doesn't mean it will. If it is solved, even though not immediately, the next riddle will come soon. In theory, given 18 riddles, and the community solving them in 1 hour each, the contest could be run in less then a day; however NightWish has said he will give some time between riddles and post them at random, for the sake of giving fair chance to everyone involved.

Also any answer that is just copy/pasted URLs should not be eligible, ie. an explanation should be mandatory. If you just spam URL(s) the post(s) should be deleted. Half the fun in reading people's attempts at solving the riddle is reading their interpretation of the riddle. It is also good feedback for the organizers (ie. what hints to give) and people making riddles, resulting in better riddles in the future.
Old 2011-02-03, 11:58   Link #187
Vampe
Otaku Witch of Ubuntu

writing and solving riddles sounds like fun although it's my first time writing one, and i'm not good at solving them, i'm still planing to join

"there is always a first time for everything"
Vampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 17:54   Link #188
MACVazquez
Rebel Against The God
*Fansubber

I'd say one week it's long enough for one riddle
Old 2011-02-03, 20:34   Link #189
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
And you are incorrect, the riddle can go for up to two weeks, that doesn't mean it will. If it is solved, even though not immediately, the next riddle will come soon.
I know that, I'm just prepared for the worst case scenario.

But never mind me, I'm just not good at long running game b/c I tend to get bored/lose interest quickly.
Old 2011-02-04, 12:25   Link #190
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I plucked two weeks out of the air to give the contest a defined limit of 20 weeks. I completely expect it be over sooner. Maybe 10 weeks would make more sense? The shorter time only benefits the riddle authors, so if everyone else prefers, I'll reduce the time.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 12:42   Link #191
monster

Quote:
None yet, sadly. As for what the Kazoo Club is/was and "the third prize"... that's not something I can't answer Unless one of their number reappears and explains we'll probably never really know.
About this, isn't ElvenPath a member of that club? I noticed s/he posted one of the riddles in the first hunt.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 13:11   Link #192
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I plucked two weeks out of the air to give the contest a defined limit of 20 weeks. I completely expect it be over sooner. Maybe 10 weeks would make more sense? The shorter time only benefits the riddle authors, so if everyone else prefers, I'll reduce the time.
As a riddle author, I'd prefer people have the longest time possible to solve it. IMO, the only ones benefiting here are people with very little patience. I mean it's not like there won't be hints making the riddle easier and easier, lets not spoil them unnecessarily...

I have a alternative solution to avoid people being "stuck" on riddles. You organize riddles from hardest to easies: where A is harder then B and so on, then do:
  • you post riddle A
  • you give riddle A a bounty
  • you also give a certain time interval to solve it
  • if it is not solved in the alloted time, the bounty is reduced by 30%
  • time interval reset (but the same)
  • you post riddle B, the solution to riddle A is still not posted of course
  • you give riddle B it's own bounty and time interval and proceed
  • same for C, D, E, et cettera.
  • when you answer correctly a riddle you get the bounty (or what's left of it)
  • at the end of the contest all riddle authors get ("Original Riddle Bounty" - "Solver Bounty Winnings") / 4
  • answers are given
This prevents spoiling riddles until the very last moment. It also avoids long wait times when a really hard riddle is posted. It also gives plenty of time to solve them. Oh and, the numbers there are only a example.
Old 2011-02-04, 16:19   Link #193
MACVazquez
Rebel Against The God
*Fansubber

Quote:
As a riddle author, I'd prefer people have the longest time possible to solve it. IMO, the only ones benefiting here are people with very little patience. I mean it's not like there won't be hints making the riddle easier and easier, lets not spoil them unnecessarily...

I have a alternative solution to avoid people being "stuck" on riddles. You organize riddles from hardest to easies: where A is harder then B and so on, then do:
  • you post riddle A
  • at the end of the contest all riddle authors get ("Original Riddle Bounty" - "Solver Bounty Winnings") / 4
  • answers are given
This prevents spoiling riddles until the very last moment. It also avoids long wait times when a really hard riddle is posted. It also gives plenty of time to solve them. Oh and, the numbers there are only a example.
Not a bad idea you should do it like this Nightwish
Old 2011-02-04, 16:39   Link #194
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I actually quite approve with felix's idea.
Old 2011-02-04, 19:31   Link #195
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

The only problem with felix's system is how do you judge the riddles hardest to easiest, I mean what system could nightwish use to measure it? How cryptic it is?, How long it is?, or, How hidden the solution is?

Also I hope to join in the solving when I have time, since I submitted a riddle for it already .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 20:08   Link #196
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
  • you post riddle A
  • answers are given
It's a good system in theory, but I doubt it's easy to use in practice. Because every single participant would need to keep track of what riddle began when, ends when and what it is anyway.
We're a pretty smart community, but I doubt that everyone will keep track of it and hence confusion will ensue. Or the older riddle will just be forgotten by 90%.
Simplicity is always the best choice when a mass of people is involved

I personally think one riddle at a time is the most practical choice; it demands less work, time and attention by the participants, Nightwish and our dear forum mascot

Just my two cents~
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 06:07   Link #197
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
how do you judge the riddles hardest to easiest
Just guess. There's no need to get it right. Ideally it should be hardest to less hard, but in practice it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I mean what system could nightwish use to measure it? How cryptic it is?, How long it is?, or, How hidden the solution is?
He can try solving it, and based on his experience trying to solve it judge how hard it is compared to another. Or, assuming he doesn't find the solution, how close he gets.

For example, take the two riddles posted. First is definitely harder then second, because it contains a sub-riddle (the "time" riddle) and makes a lot of assumptions, not to mention the nature of the answer is very peculiar. Second on the other hand is much easier, since it pretty much describes the answer directly with no wordplay, and also has a very "probably could even get it by mistake" answer.

Say the interval was a week as NightWish suggestion in his last post. Riddle A would have been the first, riddle B, the second. Additionally the hole "system" would have not come into play at ALL.

Ordering multiple riddles is fairly straight forward as well. You place them in a initial order, then swap them around until it's just about right. And I'll repeat, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
It's a good system in theory, but I doubt it's easy to use in practice.
First of all, my guess is we'll never reach the point were people will even be conscious the system exists. I'm expecting riddles to be solved before the first interval expires. Just look at the so called "hard/unfair riddle" initially posted; it was solved in around four hours. Nobody found the exact answer, but it was all so close it would only be a matter of time, trial and error, before the right answer would have been posted (even by mistake).

Quote:
Because every single participant would need to keep track of what riddle began when, ends when and what it is anyway.
We're a pretty smart community, but I doubt that everyone will keep track of it and hence confusion will ensue. Or the older riddle will just be forgotten by 90%.
Nobody has to keep track of it, except Karin. Why would the contestents have to keep track? They just have to choose a riddle (assuming there's even more then one at the time) and solve it. Keeping track of useless things won't help you solve riddles. But hey if you want to burden yourself with such things I'm sure the other contestants don't mind.

Quote:
Simplicity is always the best choice when a mass of people is involved

I personally think one riddle at a time is the most practical choice; it demands less work, time and attention by the participants, Nightwish and our dear forum mascot
Choose a riddle. Try to solve it.
If you get "stuck" wait for the interval to pass, and you'll get another riddle.
(see: Karin for when interval deadline is; we could probably use the calendar for this as well)
Not enough points? Try solving riddles that are still in the contest. (assuming there is even one like that)

For the contestants, it's all very simple, IMO.
Old 2011-02-05, 08:21   Link #198
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
First of all, my guess is we'll never reach the point were people will even be conscious the system exists. I'm expecting riddles to be solved before the first interval expires. Just look at the so called "hard/unfair riddle" initially posted; it was solved in around four hours. Nobody found the exact answer, but it was all so close it would only be a matter of time, trial and error, before the right answer would have been posted (even by mistake).
Bruteforce solving strategy
Old 2011-02-05, 08:32   Link #199
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Bruteforce solving strategy
Was thinking more along the lines of genetic algorithms , but yeah.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:46   Link #200
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
Didn't find even one riddle here. People keep talking and talking and I miss the important stuff because they keep blabbering.

Tags
contest, scavenger hunt