AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-07-29, 03:15   Link #2961
Yolks

Hey, this definitely sounds out of place since the anime and the manga ended quite a while ago. This will definitely be a long post as well, so I hope you bear through it. It's mainly my impressions and thoughts of the series, in both the manga and the anime. I could't find many popular forums revolving around School Rumble, at least that weren't active, so I apologize in advance for the sudden wall of text.

Alright, I'll admit at first that I really am not an anime nor a manga fan/reader. I think at most I've really only watched Rurouni Kenshin, Dragonball, DBZ, some Ghibli films, and spurts of other animes that were popular and mainstream. So I'm not too exposed to anime, and when it comes to manga, never really read it at all. Maybe a chapter or a few, but none too much. But, scouring on youtube and finding some clips of School Rumble's comedic moments gave me a few laughs, but what got my attention were clips of Eri and Harima and their implied romance. Being the cheater that I am, I invested some of my time into how the series would end, how the characters would be resolved, etc. I ended up finding that there wasn't really an ending, a proper one, at least in my opinion. Even with School Rumble Z, I still have this half-eaten cookie feeling about the series. I still don't think that I would be very much an anime/manga (sorry to smush those terms together) kind of guy, but watching School Rumble struck a certain tone with me, and I want to sort out my thoughts about it. So I hope that you aren't offended by my long intro, long post, assumptions caused by a lack of understanding, or my tendency to impress my own ideas on this series. And you might even laugh over this overly analytical post (essay???) about a anime mainly about rom-comedy, but yeah.

So through this I'll go through the relationships & characters of Harima, Eri, Yakumo, and Tenma. Along with the unresolved stuff, my thoughts, and what I hope to see if there is a revisit to the series (PLEASE, MY GOD, MY LIFE HAS BEEN CONSUMED BY TRYING TO SORT OUT THIS UNFINISHED SMARGLE) I'll be using both the anime and the manga along with some pieces picked up on various other forums as evidence. I'm still new at this so don't kill me! Bunch of SPOILIERS too, so read at your own risk!

Spoiler for THIS IS EXTREMELY LONG:

I hope we can discuss and that what I meant to say came across clear! Sorry if I sound repetitive and whatnot. Thanks for reading, that is if you did.
Yolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 07:36   Link #2962
Solafighter
Hige

Yolks(i guess, you are new on this forum, so) welcome to the Animesuki Forums.

This School Rumble part is not realy active, but also not inactive. Once here and then someone is posting some new informations about JK's doings and developments of his new manga.

You wrote a massive wall of text. Its a very good summerize of the whole image of SR. I agree with the most parts, how you see things. For me, as an Eri-chan fanatic, i can pretty much see the ending.

I was a bit thinking about your personal conclusion.
If JK would ever return to continue SR, it would ruin the whole series. The only problem he faced after SR is, that cause of all chapters after 281 and SRZ brought him more haters, than fans. With that, JK had some real problem to continue his career, with SR on his shoulders.
Im still big fan of his and will always be. The ending of SR? One of the best, i have ever seen for an anime, with some expections.

If you would have to put SR into one word, it would be 'Missunderstandings'.

HK, its your turn, now.
Old 2011-07-30, 03:06   Link #2963
Yolks

Thanks! I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly!

Well, in regards to the revisiting of SR, I agree that it would only worsen the series itself. Last thing I want is a SR GT. But, I do believe a revisit in order to clarify, tie up, and organize the misunderstandings within the series could be more proper. As mentioned before, the reasons why SRZ and Ch. 281 and onward were so bad were mainly because of a lack of plot. That is in vein of having an underdeveloped one. Most of the conclusions that JK arrives at are in my view, under explained. I guess I just really want a clear cut piece of proof that Eri and Harima end up with one another, that all the characters end up in the places they end up. Actual proof, not implications, misunderstandings, or imagined realities. But I definitely agree, having another 100 chapters devoted to Harima chasing after Tenma again would be marring the series.

I guess after reading and watching the anime, I feel that SR and SRZ are imcomplete, with various holes like swiss cheese. After Ch. 281, the plot to me felt it either jumped the gun too early leaving all the characters half complete, or just took a sharp turn which did not fall in with the feel of SR. I hope not for a continuation but rather a resolution to the series, which at this moment feels bare and incomplete due to the fact that all the characters seemed to be going somewhere but JK doesn't show how they get there. I did very much enjoy the series nonetheless, I just wanted a resolution rather than an abrupt ending which seemed premature and partially awkward. After reading I just felt this lack of contentness that's all. I hope you get what I mean, and I don't sound like a whining fan.
Old 2011-07-30, 03:21   Link #2964
Solafighter
Hige

The only job, i could see JK doing about SR is to animate the 3rd season and the rest of the manga, that has been left out. Wouldnt be something new, but would widen the timespan on SR marathons.
Old 2011-07-30, 04:50   Link #2965
Yolks

Ah! That would be great. But you wouldn't want a different ending? Or an ending with more elaboration? Because I really just felt that the series just ended half-heartedly. I'm not really specifying a continuation, but rather a resolution as you put in your previous post as
"The things we need in SR are the final pairings and Harima gets rid of his "Tunnel of Vision" with Tenma since that's over."

As to me this feels incomplete due to the fact that there are "the many unanswered stuff he needs to put a dot on" as you said.
Old 2011-07-30, 06:24   Link #2966
Solafighter
Hige

An alternative ending would be interesting. But i was talking about to animate the 3rd season, that comes between the 2nd season and the 3rd (season) OVA's.
Old 2011-07-30, 22:20   Link #2967
Yolks

Agreed. Having the animation of the rest of the manga would be nice. I actually don't mind the ending, though I do feel that it is premature. After Ch. 281, it's as if the entire cast of characters and their relationships before 281 is scrapped. JK ends the series in 2 chapters when it seemed far from it. Most of SRZ is filler with 4-5 chapters that deal with plot. I am ok with the way it ends, I just wished that it didn't end so quickly or feel rushed. Resolving plot lines in 2 chapters doesn't really seem feasible. And alluding to pairings but never exactly explaining them leaves you with a taste of a half-done rushed ending to a series with a full and good cast. Something just feels skipped that's all. But, that is my opinion. So alternate ending? Not necessarily, but ending it in the fashion that JK did is akin to having a fairy tale with a happily ever after without the saving the princess part. JK did a good job though. His characters are very memorable and it just bothers me to see them kind of unresolved in their stories even at the end of the series.

But, a question if I could ask you Sola? You said that you really liked the ending to the anime, but with some exceptions. Could I ask you what those exceptions are? And could I ask you of your impressions of the ending of the series? Including SRZ?
Old 2011-07-31, 15:32   Link #2968
Solafighter
Hige

Yolks, you mean this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
(...)The ending of SR? One of the best, i have ever seen for an anime, with some expections.(...)

What i meant with this is, that i have seen plenty of animes with a bad ending(open ending, where the pairing reset and such) and pointless endings. The exceptions are those, who have an realy great and realy ending, ending. As example, 'Cowboy Bebop'.
If you have seen this series, you know what i mean with a realy good ending.
Old 2011-07-31, 18:54   Link #2969
Yolks

Ah, it is true, School Rumble does have an ending. I still felt that it left a lot unanswered in regards to many of the characters and their stories. I would have liked to hear the rest of their stories. But I can't complain too much I guess.

Thank you for answering Sola.
Old 2011-07-31, 21:09   Link #2970
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Btw you can search youtube for the summaries of the SR chapters leading to the final Sangaki anime OVA, problem is that there is no one that translated/ fan subbed them.
Old 2011-08-01, 11:58   Link #2971
Solafighter
Hige

Yea, no wonder, less and less people are reading his mangas and almost none of them is translating his work anymore.

kuso-- that pisses me off.
Old 2011-08-01, 12:17   Link #2972
yakumo-chan

ah... School RUmble, I miss this series.,
This Anime will be one of my treasures in my memories...

And yes I agree that this series shouldnt be touch anymore, we should leave it at be and stay it in our memories,

@Yolks - You should try one piece too, its a great Anime... you wont regret it I promise you,,
Old 2011-08-01, 21:53   Link #2973
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Epic beginning and Epic fail ending. Ouch.

Probably it's Jin Kobayashi's way of having everything for Japan. Problem is less people support him now, because of the fail end.

Well at least we're still getting Yakumo, Eri and Mikoto fan arts and a few Harima's here and there.
Old 2011-08-02, 04:41   Link #2974
Yolks

It is a bummer that JK is not getting his stuff translated. Sometimes funding and support suck like that. And it sucks that the third semester wasn't animated.

You know? JK kind of reminds me of Karusuma. Well mainly in Ch. 238. It's after Karusuma leaves a cliffhanger for his manga due to him leaving to America. And Harima tells him that ending it all of a sudden wouldn't satisfy anyone. Although I agree that altering the SR formula would screw it up, I do think that JK has ironically done the sudden ending. The series had a lot of lovable quirks and a memorable cast, but that abrupt finishing leaves you with a sort of confused feel. There is just all the pairings that are left unanswered. And even worse, those unfinished stories for each of the characters. It is sad to see JK losing support, when you can see that he has created some great stuff. It is also sad to see one of his works feel incomplete with its own sudden ending.
Old 2011-08-02, 05:23   Link #2975
Marty17
Like What You Hate

I dunno why, but I'm still (theoretically speaking) holding my breath for a 3rd season to be animated. My collection of SR just feels incomplete & that's just not right.
Old 2011-08-02, 07:40   Link #2976
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty17 View Post
My collection of SR just feels incomplete & that's just not right.
I was also planning to have a collection of SR, although i've just thought I would only do this if JK continues SR...

Im now collecting One Piece!
Old 2011-08-03, 18:09   Link #2977
Yolks

Yeah, the anime seems a little incomplete. I wish they finished animating the entire manga . I hope that they do finish it, but it seems improbable. The manga seems partially incomplete because of the characters and their unanswered endings. I wonder if JK has something up his sleeve.
Old 2011-08-04, 11:43   Link #2978
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolks View Post
Yeah, the anime seems a little incomplete. I wish they finished animating the entire manga . I hope that they do finish it, but it seems improbable. The manga seems partially incomplete because of the characters and their unanswered endings. I wonder if JK has something up his sleeve.
lol,, there's a low chance that it will have a continuation though,,

When I read your first post I remember back then how I found out school rumble,,

I think I found this anime around 2007, the first episode that I watched was when harima was in the Hospital because he was hit by a truck,
then I find this anime kinda funny and makes me want to watch it more, afterwards I watch it everyday in the television.. 1 episode/day.. then when I finished the anime and Manga thats the time I look in google if there is a contuation for school rumble, and thats where I found Animesuki FOrums, talking about if there will be a contiuation going and hoping for JK to continue SR.

Its funny though,, I never usually hang out on forums until I found out School Rumble
This is my first forum, because of school rumble
Old 2011-08-06, 01:55   Link #2979
Yolks

Aha, I know how you feel. This is the first anime that really got me into reading the entire manga. And one that got me to post on a forum. It is definitely a memorable show. Yeah I got into the reading the manga and posting on forums to see if there would be a an answer to the questions leftover.
Old 2011-08-06, 04:35   Link #2980
Marty17
Like What You Hate

Well, since we're on the topic of reminiscing of how we discovered School Rumble, I might as well share my experience.

It began during the latter half of 2007 where I was reading some comic strips at "Ctrl Alt Del.com", & there was an advert banner with School Rumble commercial on it, in that short 30secs of clips I found it pretty amusing.

So I went to the (Funimation) website to see more preview clips. The bow & arrow scene had got me hooked. Now over here in the UK, the R2 version of SR Vol1 was due to be released in January, & each volume was to be released in 2-3 months of each other.

So to kill some time, I seeked the manga, & that's how it all began...well, I still don't have the full (anime) series, because for some reason the R2 DVD's only got released up to Vol3.

Tags
comedy