AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-04-03, 09:55   Link #501
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The worst of all tropes, that instantly makes me hate the anime:

There is this vital piece of information, that person A knows and he needs to tell it to person B.

A: "Listen, I've got to tell you something! The..."
B: "Nah, can't, doing something important right now, so shut up."
A: "But..."
B: "I don't want to hear it."

And that's it. Either A gives up, B walks off, or sudden event interrupts them.
Tragedy ensures.

If I had to tell someone that there is bomb in the basement, a meteor is going to hit earth, that guy over there is really the killer, ect and they don't want to listen I would not just let it be at that and walk away.
I'd scream, or punch them until they get it.

This is really the most stupid and frustrating move a story can pull.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 20:40   Link #502
sa547
*Author

Boilerplate plot or generic formulas or in want of "show, not tell". Only a few screenwriters ever dared to step out of the box.
Old 2013-04-05, 14:13   Link #503
Write
Banned

Lolicon
Stupid/braindead protagonists who don't even begin to mirror reality
The fans: blindly falling inline with the crap shows the industry throws at us each season
Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 14:23   Link #504
Eragon
Still Alive

Let the rage begin.

I don't even know why people post about fans who watch and like shows (which may or may not be objectively bad) that they think are trash.

I mean, I can understand people saying that this show is shit. But why do they have to say that the people watching the show are *insert random shit*.

Unless the fans bash anyone who doesn't agree with their "This show is the BEST" slogan. Then you can call them whatever you like - I will assist you.

**keyword - bash

But just making a blanket statement like that isn't very polite.

I have become too soft and polite dammit. Shouldn't have played paragon Shepard
Old 2013-04-05, 14:27   Link #505
Write
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Let the rage begin.

I don't even know why people post about fans who watch and like shows (which may or may not be objectively bad) that they think are trash.

I mean, I can understand people saying that this show is shit. But why do they have to say that the people watching the show are *insert random shit*.

Unless the fans bash anyone who doesn't agree with their "This show is the BEST" slogan. Then you can call them whatever you like - I will assist you.

**keyword - bash

But just making a blanket statement like that isn't very polite.

I have become too soft and polite dammit. Shouldn't have played paragon Shepard
We're in a medium of discussion so more often than not you should be prepared to have your tastes questioned.
Old 2013-04-05, 20:48   Link #506
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write View Post
Lolicon
The fans: blindly falling inline with the crap shows the industry throws at us each season
Quote:
We're in a medium of discussion so more often than not you should be prepared to have your tastes questioned.
And . . . what makes you think that your taste is the correct one and the other is wrong? If other people want to eat crap, then let them be. If you don't like a show, you can bash it as much as you want, no need to call their audiences "blindly falling inline", it's not even dicussion anymore, it's outright insulting. My solution in this regard is, "let people and their preferences alone". What other people like, no matter how crappy it is (by your standard), completely none of your business. seriouly, it's this kind of comment that turned 2chan into worst message board i've ever seen
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 06:27   Link #507
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
And . . . what makes you think that your taste is the correct one and the other is wrong? If other people want to eat crap, then let them be. If you don't like a show, you can bash it as much as you want, no need to call their audiences "blindly falling inline", it's not even dicussion anymore, it's outright insulting. My solution in this regard is, "let people and their preferences alone". What other people like, no matter how crappy it is (by your standard), completely none of your business. seriouly, it's this kind of comment that turned 2chan into worst message board i've ever seen
It is actually the other way around... the industry continues producing these shows because there are a lot of people that like this kind of show. So it DOES matter what "the others" (the majority) like. Because what "they" (the majority) like is what will be produced mostly.

Luckily a lot of people get bored of the same kind of anime if it is done too much at some point and then the trend changes again... hopefully
Old 2013-04-06, 10:14   Link #508
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ I wouldn't look into trends too much if I were you. One's life as an anime watcher would be less of a chore or a headache. Those are things that are left ignored until you finally found the anime series that you like..
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 20:21   Link #509
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
The worst of all tropes, that instantly makes me hate the anime:

There is this vital piece of information, that person A knows and he needs to tell it to person B.

A: "Listen, I've got to tell you something! The..."
B: "Nah, can't, doing something important right now, so shut up."
A: "But..."
B: "I don't want to hear it."

And that's it. Either A gives up, B walks off, or sudden event interrupts them.
Tragedy ensures.

If I had to tell someone that there is bomb in the basement, a meteor is going to hit earth, that guy over there is really the killer, ect and they don't want to listen I would not just let it be at that and walk away.
I'd scream, or punch them until they get it.

This is really the most stupid and frustrating move a story can pull.
Vaguely similar is when they're talking about someone without revealing the name and it is translated as "that person..." I never understood this; it's either a very silly way of not giving you the information or something is being lost in translation.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 21:04   Link #510
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Lolicon
In other words you're the fucking expert on what people should watch and all of us should bow down to you.

Everyone's got their own tastes. Piss off the elitism
Old 2013-04-07, 10:47   Link #511
Write
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
In other words you're the fucking expert on what people should watch and all of us should bow down to you.

Everyone's got their own tastes. Piss off the elitism
Like with any medium I believe there can be good and bad shows. I don't feel like anime should get a pass just because it has a niche audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
I watch my share of bad anime series seasonally because I like to keep my mind open to the possibility that a show can be good. I am by no means an expert and tbh most of my pickings involve trial an error, only rarely do I end a seasons saying "damn, this show will go down as a classic!" A lot of fans do, though. It's almost as if they need validation. Thats just how I see it anyway, feel free to disagree.

Last edited by Write; 2013-04-07 at 10:59.
Old 2013-04-09, 18:43   Link #512
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Aliens and demons are hot sexy babes

They eat, they wear clothes (and flirty panties ) and behave like humans... more human than actual humans.... and the MC chooses the alien girl instead of his human female friend....

For the worst part, for the aliens.. they could bear children the same thing as humans do.,, why not like Piccolo does it.. LOls
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 19:17   Link #513
Marly
>AS

There's a lot of things to hate about, but I think the obvious number one is the fanbase. Even a decent series can seem like complete garbage when it's accompanied by awful fanbase that constantly discuss about the most autistic things one can imagine. (Such as character X vs character y from different series or the typical creepy unironic waifu discussions/discussing about the series' fanservice elements in disturbing detail like creepy manchildren) Ignoring them is possible, but unlikely, and just leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I try to watch/read the series in question. It doesn't help that whenever I call them out on the respective threads, they tend to respond with the worst answers they could come up with. Even if they're the vocal minority, the problem lies within the fact that they're vocal in the first place, and as a result, they are extremely obnoxious to deal with.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 19:34   Link #514
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Aliens and demons are hot sexy babes

They eat, they wear clothes (and flirty panties ) and behave like humans... more human than actual humans.... and the MC chooses the alien girl instead of his human female friend....

For the worst part, for the aliens.. they could bear children the same thing as humans do.,, why not like Piccolo does it.. LOls
For the most part, you could probably actually think of this sort of "alien" as a metaphor for a foreigner, without having to get into racial/country-specific stereotypes. They're usually someone who looks different, has different values, maybe has a few plot tricks up their sleeves, but all in all the point is usually that they're "people too" (even though they're not human) as the protagonist comes to understand and appreciate them despite their differences. (The fact that they're attractive is a neat shortcut, of course, but most of the times these shows are partly comedies anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
...Ignoring them is possible, but unlikely, and just leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I try to watch/read the series in question. It doesn't help that whenever I call them out on the respective threads, they tend to respond with the worst answers they could come up with. Even if they're the vocal minority, the problem lies within the fact that they're vocal in the first place, and as a result, they are extremely obnoxious to deal with.
For the most part, annoying though they can be, I think it's their way of having fun. Despite the "intensity" of the "debates" they sometimes get into, I don't think they truthfully take it too seriously. Of course that sort of silliness is lacking maturity, but that's no so uncommon with entertainment. "Calling them out on it" is probably kind of like being the stick in the mud who doesn't get the joke. That aside, when people do take it too far (and it definitely happens), you can report it.

(That aside, that use of "autistic" is pretty inappropriate in my view.)
Old 2013-04-09, 19:45   Link #515
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(That aside, that use of "autistic" is pretty inappropriate in my view.)
Very well. I'll try to deter from using that term, then. In my defense, it is a common term used nowadays to describe a person who is obsessed with something most people find undesirable and disturbing to an unhealthy extent. (and obsession is a common trait of autism)

Quote:
For the most part, annoying though they can be, I think it's their way of having fun. Despite the "intensity" of the "debates" they sometimes get into, I don't think they truthfully take it too seriously. Of course that sort of silliness is lacking maturity, but that's no so uncommon with entertainment. "Calling them out on it" is probably kind of like being the stick in the mud who doesn't get the joke. That aside, when people do take it too far (and it definitely happens), you can report it.
Hence, I don't really mind ironic discussions about waifus and whatnot, because they make it obvious that they are indeed joking, and they do so on purpose because they don't want to be viewed as creepy manchildren. That's what I would call "silliness that lacks maturity." The problem lies within the fact there are people who take these discussions seriously, and I find them to be pretty easily recognizable and just disturbing. Reporting it doesn't really solve the issue either, since these people are still present. It also bothers me most when these fans have an extremely shallow reason for liking a series (Such as its fanbase elements) that I like for legitimate reasons.
Old 2013-04-09, 20:50   Link #516
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
The problem lies within the fact there are people who take these discussions seriously, and I find them to be pretty easily recognizable and just disturbing. Reporting it doesn't really solve the issue either, since these people are still present.
Consider also that it's also possible your irony detection is a bit off, and/or that "taking it seriously" is part of the fun to them. Maybe they're trolling you and the fact that you're taking things too seriously the other way... People aren't always so easy to read, particularly online.

(And, well, you can always use the Ignore List. I've been tempted...)

Quote:
It also bothers me most when these fans have an extremely shallow reason for liking a series (Such as its fanbase elements) that I like for legitimate reasons.
To be honest, I feel that "legitimate reasons" are overrated, because then people only get into arguments about what is legitimate and what isn't -- like people who only like an anime because the main character is "hot" are somehow not as qualified to be entertained by the show as people who enjoy the show's witty dialogue and subversive social commentary (or whatever else). In the end, I'd say what matters is whether you're enjoying yourself. Anything that distracts from that is not worth worrying about.

Of course, I recognize this was a rant not a request for advice.
Old 2013-04-09, 22:00   Link #517
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Consider also that it's also possible your irony detection is a bit off, and/or that "taking it seriously" is part of the fun to them. Maybe they're trolling you and the fact that you're taking things too seriously the other way... People aren't always so easy to read, particularly online.
While that is indeed a possibility, I feel like at this point, it's more or less a Devil's Proof. Just because I can't exactly prove that they are being legitimate about their disturbing fantasies doesn't really invalidate my assumptions based on many, many anecdotal experiences (and confrontations with such people thereof). But I digress.

Quote:
To be honest, I feel that "legitimate reasons" are overrated, because then people only get into arguments about what is legitimate and what isn't -- like people who only like an anime because the main character is "hot" are somehow not as qualified to be entertained by the show as people who enjoy the show's witty dialogue and subversive social commentary (or whatever else). In the end, I'd say what matters is whether you're enjoying yourself. Anything that distracts from that is not worth worrying about.

Of course, I recognize this was a rant not a request for advice.
Well, to explain better- I'm not against people enjoying something because they found something different to enjoy, whether the reason be what I consider 'legitimate' or not- (Though most of time I feel that these 'legitimate' reasons are defined and consensually agreed to the point that they might as well be considered objective)- But seeing their posts on the threads and not really contributing other than posting NSFW pictures and having waifu discussions do get rather unnerving. Again, it's not the matter of me ignoring them- It's a problem that I'll encounter again from some other fan sooner or later, so it's more or less the fact that these people exist. But yes, this is a rant, which is what I assume this thread is for.
Old 2013-04-09, 22:19   Link #518
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
For the most part, you could probably actually think of this sort of "alien" as a metaphor for a foreigner, without having to get into racial/country-specific stereotypes.
Actually I didn't thought of it that way until you said it....

Aliens representing foreigners versus Aliens that are not human at all. I'm pertaining to the last....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 01:31   Link #519
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

There are aliens and aliens.
I don't think the aliens from Muv-Luv or Freezing are supposed to be foreigners.
At least I hope not. With Japan you never know. It might align with some peoples view on foreigners...

The other kind of alien are just very useful for the story, because they are not bound by common social rules or biological restrictions.
A lot of comedy and 'interesting situations' are assured.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 02:15   Link #520
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Well, to explain better- I'm not against people enjoying something because they found something different to enjoy, whether the reason be what I consider 'legitimate' or not- (Though most of time I feel that these 'legitimate' reasons are defined and consensually agreed to the point that they might as well be considered objective)- But seeing their posts on the threads and not really contributing other than posting NSFW pictures and having waifu discussions do get rather unnerving. Again, it's not the matter of me ignoring them- It's a problem that I'll encounter again from some other fan sooner or later, so it's more or less the fact that these people exist. But yes, this is a rant, which is what I assume this thread is for.
I found people posting NSFW pictures to be an enjoyable break from the usual “heavy” discussion. More so if the NSFW pics are legit promotional pics from the producers of the anime themselves. Furthermore, I think whether you’ll find many NSFW pics or “waifu” discussions or not depends on the show itself. If the show is heavy on plot (eg Maoyuu, Kokoro Connect, etc), you’ll only find occasional NSFW pics posted due to the attractiveness of the female MCs, but if the show itself is plot-free and full-on fanservice (eg. To-Love-Ru, Hyakka Ryouran, etc), expect a lot of NSFW postings and “waifu” discussions since there’s not much plot to discuss .