AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-05-04, 23:19   Link #1
Snouman88
Banned

Life without anime - challenge to anime addicts

Are you an anime addict? Have you ever tried to live few weeks without watching anime?

Well I am a huge anime addict and I tried to live few weeks without watching anime at all. The few first days were ok. After a week I found it wery temptating to watch an anime episode. Somehow I managed to keep my fingers out of keyboard by doing something else. But as the time passed I got a grater desire to watch anime. Finally after 2 weeks I was free to do whatever I wanted - to watch anime.

If you are an anime addict, I challenge you to live few weeks witout anime. You will have much more freetime and you can do "different" things. Tell about your experiences.
Snouman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 23:23   Link #2
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Well, I dunno. I have a real life, so frequently I go a week or two and don't get to watch anything. Like on the order of once a month or so, do I get a prize?

I like prizes.
Old 2006-05-05, 00:40   Link #3
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snouman88
Are you an anime addict? Have you ever tried to live few weeks without watching anime?

Well I am a huge anime addict and I tried to live few weeks without watching anime at all. The few first days were ok. After a week I found it wery temptating to watch an anime episode. Somehow I managed to keep my fingers out of keyboard by doing something else. But as the time passed I got a grater desire to watch anime. Finally after 2 weeks I was free to do whatever I wanted - to watch anime.

If you are an anime addict, I challenge you to live few weeks witout anime. You will have much more freetime and you can do "different" things. Tell about your experiences.
I imagine most people would just do something else.

What are you expecting? Tremors and cold sweats and people beating their wives and girlfriends?

This isn't heroin
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 00:49   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I went a few months without chocolate, so I believe that I could do that with anime also. I just don't want to. One needs some incentive to do a thing like that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 01:19   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

I can't leave without it. I check irc topics and baka-updates everyday! It's a must!
Old 2006-05-05, 01:51   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I see the OP lasted a few seconds before going down in flames .... ah well... I have dozens of hobbies that dont get enough time, yay for them.
Old 2006-05-05, 02:12   Link #7
jedinat

If I weren't watching anime I'd be reading. If I weren't reading I'd be playing computer games. I'm addicted to escapist entertainment, and anime just seems to be the most stimulating one.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 03:20   Link #8
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

If I can go a couple of months without video games; I sure as hell can survive a few weeks without anime.
Old 2006-05-05, 05:46   Link #9
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Oh heck I can't do that unless I'm suffering from anime depression. The last one lasted for a good 3 months. :P But no, not when I'm at my peak now; a day or two is fine, but a week? Nah... Whatever for? I don't wanna create backlogs.
Old 2006-05-05, 07:19   Link #10
Mephisto2k
anime4life

Even if i would stop watching anime and reading manga for a few weeks, i still had to dl the recent stuff from baka-updates and so on, because to catch up later on with everything is just trublesome as far as downloading everything is concerned. And even with watching as much as I can my hdds are overflowing. Without frequent watching/deleting/transfering/burning my hdds would kick my ass.
But if i leave out that aspect I think i could last some time. But Im not motivated to do so unless someone offers me money for it or something like that. I wouldnt stop watching just to proove that i can do so.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 08:26   Link #11
DaFool
Resident devil

It's more of a fear of having to catch up later on and having a backlog than the actual lack of anime.

I dunno, it's like reading the news, I want to stay on top.

The only circumstances that would make such a thing happen was if my comp were to break down (unlikely) or a business or holiday trip, in which case I would be living my escapist entertainment anyway. I think about a month would do it, otherwise I'd crack.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 17:59   Link #12
sorvani

i find myself watching fewer shows as they air anymore. i can easily just wait until mid season or even end of season before i watch a show.

between working full time and going back to school full time for my BA, i dont' get to watch a lot anyway. i can go a month easy simply because i'm writing papers.
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 18:03   Link #13
Mirtual

Of course, one must know his own priorities in life, and as much as I like watching anime or reading manga amongst other things in my spare time, I have to say that those things have their place in my life and I think it is not even at the top ten.
Just something I like to do to kind of relax, and one can always life without those things if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf
I can't leave without it. I check irc topics and baka-updates everyday! It's a must!
Now if this isn't an interesting misspelling.
Mirtual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 22:18   Link #14
bdragonomega

I dunno, i usually watch anime in small sessions. I get hooked until i watch everything I want to and then I stop for a long time. Come back, grab some new shows and what not and watch all of em. I stop watching anime but I keep downloading it for one of those days that I just wanna watch or have nothing to do.
bdragonomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 22:28   Link #15
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
sum time without anime is like well,
A Summer Wit Miami
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 14:28   Link #16
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
if you can't live without anime more than a week then you have officially become an otaku. but gladly i ain't a otaku yet =P have too much school work to handle ~
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 16:07   Link #17
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Throw me a healthy stack of novels and I can live without anime indefinitely. It can also work the other way around.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 15:06   Link #18
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I went without anime for a month, it's called work, school, and WoW. You'd be surprised how little you crave anime when your trying to down Ragnaros.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 16:26   Link #19
MarcusG
Remember Law of Ueki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
If I weren't watching anime I'd be reading. If I weren't reading I'd be playing computer games. I'm addicted to escapist entertainment, and anime just seems to be the most stimulating one.
What he said basically. BUT

I had friends that were known as animephiles. They would watch way too much and invite people to their houses just to watch a bunch of anime. I thought it was kinda sad. Especially seeing 19-24 yr old men watching girly anime shows and talking fantasizing about the girls and stuff. THAT REALLY kills me.
One day I moved into a new home away from friends and my car died. I was introduced to Naruto( IloveNinjas). Downloaded 50 episodes and watched them all in one day. I love colors and art and became an anime addict. Its stimulating eye candy like video games. Once I lost Xbox Live and had no one to play Guilty Gear with it was over.
MarcusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 18:03   Link #20
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I could easily go a couple of weeks without anime. I thank this to me realizing that eventhough I haven't watched a series for several weeks, I can be confortable that I haven't missed anything with a trace of originality, and you shouldn't point out something that may be completely original to you because there's a 99.9% chance that it has been done before. Nothing completely unique has spung up last year, so why would it start to right now? Yeah, there are a couple of good shows out there still running, but it doesn't go under the category of "originality".
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote