AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-30, 04:36   Link #1061
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
WvW is hilariously funny. Even if our server is getting smashed (10:1 >.>). I don't really know what happens most of the time so I just spam my AOE wells at the enemy zerg. The wells give protection to allies and also drain their life. Then plague form gives more comedy as I spread conditions all around. Locust swarm is also really cool since I can purposely get infected and then pass it back. Add in the trait that causes life transfer to heal allies and that's just a lot of stuff going on.

Trying to make it to Cursed Shore-- thus far still following the event train in Straits of Devestation but the re spawn rate is pretty vicious. At least the loot and rewards are great.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 06:13   Link #1062
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Trying to make it to Cursed Shore-- thus far still following the event train in Straits of Devestation but the re spawn rate is pretty vicious. At least the loot and rewards are great.
You can get around the walls and stuff without doing the events, just takes a while with all the mobs. Especially all the ones with cripple or pull effects.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 13:36   Link #1063
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, I don't mine the events anyways. They are good for getting loot and karma, and that is the point of coming here I guess. I wish group events wouldn't obstruct the road though since I can't take them own solo.

I don't like dungeons because they require too much twitch reactions and seem to emphasize dodging attacks over tanking them, so WvW and Orr will be where I get my goodies. (Mostly high materials though). My style is to use wells to control locations and create a bunker so to speak so it works nice for events and wvw zergs. Sometimes whole mobs with veterans during events will converge onto me but because of the well damage they die even though my ass is knocked on the ground. Never was a fan of glass cannon style especially since Necros have no decent ranged auto attack. The furthest we can fling stuff is epidemic. I'm just not that skilled.

Also, I'm still looking for fine transmutation stones. I refuse to use most of the level 80s with decent stats because they look stupid or look like stripper outfits, or both. Currently my necromancer's anime-style miniskirt is probably the best look so far. There's also the more boring long pants (Magician Legs) that I used for 50 levels but that gets old fast too.

Anything but buttcapes. There are too many in the game and they are my worst enemy; they are like anime's counterparts to stupidly frilly skirts.

Images
current gear
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-01-30 at 15:13.
Old 2013-02-03, 02:52   Link #1064
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Going around Cursed Shore, but it seems like people are running the same things over where you defend those two camps. The NPCs suck so much they can't advance. It also sucks when you can't get a zerg going and have to solo events like a boss.

Also, I am unfortunately rather financially irresponsible in this game and blew 18 gold on exotics that didn't really benefit me too much. Maybe +10% attack? :S Oh well, as long as those spiders keep dropping venom sacs I'll be fine.

As a side note I bought a bunch of cherries from the karma vendor and am ready to level the chef.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-07, 20:38   Link #1065
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Has anyone managed to craft good gear for themselves? It seems like a large use of time and resources.

It seems to be a good way to level a new character, with the exp and also crafting level appropriate gear.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-07, 20:55   Link #1066
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I leveled my Charr Warrior from 11-80 simply from crafting the right things. You don't want to know how much money I wasted if I messed up even a little. Even if the quests do give some interesting things. It's just not like WoW leveling to me, and I'm glad I chose to craft it up.

I crafted a few Gladiator sets for my Warrior. Getting the Orichalcum Ore is one thing I NEVER want to do. Simply because it's either going to Orr and getting face-slammed by trillions of mobs. Or going to the Norn area, and having a scarce time finding them. But 80% of my time is either in WvW trying to help Maguuma reign supreme. Or farming mobs constantly for stones in the volcano while it's active. Or elsewhere, and constantly farming for Ectoplasm.
Old 2013-02-07, 22:03   Link #1067
Pen3

It has been about 2 months since i played GW2 due to most of my friends quitting and i have never even been to Cursed Shore. I didn't realize there are a lot of folks here that play and this is my first time reading this thread. I play on Isles of Janthir and it would be nice to meet everyone. Is there an official guild that you all belong to?

Spoiler for My Character:

Last edited by Pen3; 2013-02-07 at 22:15.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 23:32   Link #1068
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

We don't though info is in sig. It doesn't matter where you are these days (except Europe/American server split) since there is guesting.

Hmm, for some reason I can't even find the Ora ore spots in Cursed Shore. :S It's always just silly platinum. I can solo Cursed Shore pretty easily except for group events of course. I should be able to get anyone to the ore unless there's a champion in the way or some shit. The whole Straits of Devestation line from Fort Trinity to Temple of Balthazar is always fun. Malchor's leap is balls though.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-08, 00:58   Link #1069
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I quit GW2 right around when all those mini-dungeons were added. Been playing around the time it came out. Archon_Wing, has there been any notable updates ever since those mini-dungeons were added?
Old 2013-02-08, 01:27   Link #1070
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I quit GW2 right around when all those mini-dungeons were added. Been playing around the time it came out. Archon_Wing, has there been any notable updates ever since those mini-dungeons were added?
Massive patch note is massive.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "mini-dungeons", but assuming you left around the Lost Shores to Wintersday updates, there are plenty of new updates. Most notable ones include:
  • A Living Story that spans for a long time with story unfolding as it progresses through the months - currently limited to a mysterious disturbance that causes refugees to pour in to Hoelbrak and the Black Citadel. February update is going to progress the story further.
  • Laurels - a new account-wide currency that can be used to purchase a number of stuff, including Ascended amulets and rings, Obsidian Shards, some boosters, mini-pets, etc. Laurels are earned from PvE-based achievements (not implemented yet) and from dailies (gives you 1/day) and monthlies (gives you 10/month).
  • Dailies are now rotated differently with only a single tier to achieve for each objective. February update is reportedly going to include the ability to choose your own dailies to complete.
  • Fractals of the Mists disconnections have been addressed - players who disconnected can now rejoin with no issue. Also, anyone of any Fractal level can now join any level of Fractal - the only gating is now the Agony Resistance for a particular character. Each player receive chests and rewards that are scaled to their own Fractal level.
  • Waypoint-rushing a boss is no longer possible - party members cannot revive at a waypoint if any member of the party is in combat, therefore in-combat rally/revival is very important. A lot of bosses and/or encounters have received tuning with the implementation of this system (although Giganticus Lupicus has just become possibly the hardest boss in the entire game ).
  • Mob density in Orr regions has been culled. Two uncontestable (meaning you can always use them) waypoints have been added to the Straits of Devastation and Cursed Shore. Risen Putrifiers no longer pull you around like you're a ping-pong ball. The Temples of the six Human Gods have been given a special symbol each to show their status, and most of the fights at reclaim the Temples (particularly the boss fights) have been updated. Some example of the updated fights: >>link<< . Capturing the Temples allows you to purchase special boxes (in addition to the original wares) from Karma vendors that provide mini-pets, Tier 6 crafting materials, lodestones, etc. with Karma. They now also sell Exotic-level backpieces.
  • Guesting has been added. Players are restricted to their respective regions (US or EU only) and can guest to any servers on those regions. Maximum of two servers per day.
  • On the structured PvP or World versus World front, not much updates (unless you miss the Breakout that was added around Wintersday).

There are probably more, but these are the most important ones that I can think of.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 05:45   Link #1071
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
If your on about the Fractals, then you are really missing out there.
Some of the best dungeons I've ever played in any game.
One called Cliffside is simply amazing.
Lost Shores didn't really bring an awful lot to the game really but as PhoenixFlare has posted they have been rolling out loads of updates and some of it has been brilliant.
Like the Orr Mob density one, has made Orr much more enjoyable now and I found it pretty good to begin with.
Was just annoying with all the pulls was all.

Waiting on Guild Missions atm, they should be good fun.

p.s love that pic of Grenth's event, always pure carnage
Old 2013-02-08, 15:28   Link #1072
Pen3

I don't know if its smart or not but i still have 4 Scythe and 3 Ghastly Shield skins from Halloween event in my bank. Keep saving them or sell? I don't play enough to make a Legendary weapon so i might have to buy one. I think i payed less than 100g for all the skins.
Old 2013-02-08, 17:21   Link #1073
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
[*]Mob density in Orr regions has been culled. Two uncontestable (meaning you can always use them) waypoints have been added to the Straits of Devastation and Cursed Shore. Risen Putrifiers no longer pull you around like you're a ping-pong ball. The Temples of the six Human Gods have been given a special symbol each to show their status, and most of the fights at reclaim the Temples (particularly the boss fights) have been updated. Some example of the updated fights: >>
I've been waiting for this ever since I reached Orr!!
Old 2013-02-09, 04:00   Link #1074
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

If anyone could help me through some dungeons for the monthly, that would greatly appreciated. I am just not a fan of those things.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-10, 19:23   Link #1075
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Once I get Internet (just moved) I'm down for dungeons anytime. Marina.7435

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 14:07   Link #1076
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

My info's in profile.

I sorta kinda find it funny that people are complaining about grinding when the best gear isn't even that much better than the yellows. "Omfg I killed 5 monsters and they didn't drop anything!"

Yes, I'm aware that introducing new tiers creates the threat that old gear will be obsolete and that people with outdated gear won't be able to do new content. It happens in many games that have gear. But this isn't really the case when the difference is still like 5-10%. It might matter in WvW with large zergs though in reality if people are that consistently geared better than the other server that they really deserve an advantage. Still, in WvW, you usually lose because you are vastly outnumbered or surprised anyways. It's unlikely that you with 7% more dps and 4% more toughness is going to matter.

The gear progression for this game honestly seems to run really nicely. Even though I purchase stuff regularly on the TP up to 80, I am able to still find better gears despite using the TP to bypass the curve a bit. Sadly, this does kill crafting if you do that since it seems less time consuming to just buy instead of craft for such thin profit margins.

The complaints are very reminiscent of the ones from Diablo 3. Actually they are practically identical, though of course Diablo 3 was a bigger mess. Still, we have people being overly competitive in a game that they aren't willing or able to be competitive in. Every game has their wannabe pros that are somewhat competent in the game but think that there's only one way to play it. So someone "pays" to win by buying gems. So what? So some people invest in the TP all day and make gold like that. Some don't even produce anything, and just flip items. Naturally people will whine that the market is being manipulated and omfg i'm too poor because of repairs and waypoints. Well, stop dying, Mr. "All Berserker I don't need vit/tough because I r pro and dodge everything. Except when I dont'." Hint: Optimal builds and characters don't mean anything when the person behind it isn't playing optimally. Which is a good thing about Gw2, as say certain other games where gear greatly determines your power as to almost decide the bout beforehand.

Still, I will say that getting the high end stuff is grindy, and that Arenanet seems to constantly and aggressively pursue farming spots that does remind me that these guys, come from Blizzard-- making stuff that requires grinding and then punishing grinding. I mean, it's ok to have grindy aspects that nobody needs except the truly hardcore, but stuff like the random shit for Precursors? Really?

Finally, what to do with Karma... I was figuring the exotic temple vendors would be nice, but none of them sell power/precision/crit damage

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-11, 15:17   Link #1077
Xion Valkyrie

The problem with GW2 is that there's a gigantic gap between exotics and ascended/legendary items. You can hit 80, and get a full set of exotic armor in a week or so of casual playing. However, after that, you hit a gigantic wall. There's also the fact that they're really lacking in good looking skins, so there isn't even a reason to farm the dungeon armors if you already have the stats you need.

So pretty much you're stuck running fractals for months to get your ascended items, which offer marginally better stats, and the only real use is for doing more fractals. So it's really just for people who like doing fractals.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 15:53   Link #1078
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, fractals were made to cater for the MMO constant progression for the sake of progression crowd. It doesn't mean too much outside of them. Legendaries yes, but pretty much any gear based game has this issue once you aim for the very top % of items. But in Gw2 it really doesn't matter too much; nobody is gonna put legendaries in any guides any time soon. Without legendaries, people would be claiming it's too easy to get exotics, and that's exactly what happened.

Still, the requirements for a legendary are definitely too huge of a leap and the skins just aren't very good. We really need more skins and hair types and I am not happy with the looks of most high level stuff. There's too much of the obsession with long coats.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-11, 16:04   Link #1079
Pen3

I actually like how my character looks, but i want a Legendary weapon. I am waiting for Ghastly shield to get 400g and Scythe 200g before i sell and hopefully have enough for Hammer.

Last edited by Pen3; 2013-02-11 at 17:54.
Old 2013-02-11, 17:16   Link #1080
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
The problem with GW2 is that there's a gigantic gap between exotics and ascended/legendary items. You can hit 80, and get a full set of exotic armor in a week or so of casual playing. However, after that, you hit a gigantic wall. There's also the fact that they're really lacking in good looking skins, so there isn't even a reason to farm the dungeon armors if you already have the stats you need.

So pretty much you're stuck running fractals for months to get your ascended items, which offer marginally better stats, and the only real use is for doing more fractals. So it's really just for people who like doing fractals.
That I can understand too well but fortunately for me I don't fall into that trap anymore.
I don't mind farming for my gear if it takes abit of time, as long as it's not too long then it's ok which thankfully doesn't happen in GW2 imo.
I just mix things up between 3 toons atm which has kept things fresh and not boring.
Plus my guild is fairly active so that helps heaps with the enjoyment of the game.

I can kinda agree with the lack of good looking skins, for a majority of tiems they don't look great but I can roll with what we get easily enough and make it work.
Might have spent more time than I'd like previewing items tho>_<

Only Legendary I want is The Juggernaut which I won't work my ass off trying to get but take it in my stride as I play.
It's the precursor that will be the hard part.