AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-19, 07:51   Link #321
SymphonicRain

This forum's not only the restless one. The Chinese Macross forums had began talking about weird stuffs in one of supposedly preview episodes down the line, which I question the reliability of the source:

Spoiler:

And the speculations goes more than just bizaare.
Old 2008-06-19, 08:15   Link #322
Liingo
Love Hina?

There's even more bizarre speculations that what you just had above..? That's already weird as it is. Unless they happen to time-skip a few months between the episode up till then, I can't see that happening at all.
Old 2008-06-19, 09:06   Link #323
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Okay, to draw focus BACK on the romance topic

I've just watched SDF Macross-DYRL and Minmay was absolutely sweet there. Her character there's more outgoing than Ranka, but Ranka has her naivety and sweetness. I know the TV series explores her character a bit more, but in DYRL, that certain moment of weakness is something I could see Ranka falling into. I ached for her when she looked so happy to see Hikaru after he chose Misa. Fans who haven't watched the TV series would fall in love with DYRL's Minmay. Perhaps the Macross team modeled Ranka after DRYL Minmay, as they share so many similarities.

Sheryl is like the more secure and stable version of Misa. Misa takes no shit from anyone, but even SHE can easily fall apart when it comes to love, or when you push her to the extreme. Both these women are strong, professional and business-like, but they start to differ when it comes to love. The love triangle between Hikaru, Minmay and Misa is epic.

I want to know the outcome of MF's love triangle. Hopefully it will reach that scale of epicness.
Old 2008-06-19, 10:46   Link #324
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
I think we are getting down to the level of pairing off Ranka's Phone and the Panty stealing lizard thing.
That's actually an improvement over some of the 'scenarios' people were posting above me.
Old 2008-06-19, 10:50   Link #325
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post

I've just watched SDF Macross-DYRL and Minmay was absolutely sweet there. Her character there's more outgoing than Ranka, but Ranka has her naivety and sweetness. I know the TV series explores her character a bit more, but in DYRL, that certain moment of weakness is something I could see Ranka falling into. I ached for her when she looked so happy to see Hikaru after he chose Misa. Fans who haven't watched the TV series would fall in love with DYRL's Minmay. Perhaps the Macross team modeled Ranka after DRYL Minmay, as they share so many similarities.

Sheryl is like the more secure and stable version of Misa. Misa takes no shit from anyone, but even SHE can easily fall apart when it comes to love, or when you push her to the extreme. Both these women are strong, professional and business-like, but they start to differ when it comes to love. The love triangle between Hikaru, Minmay and Misa is epic.

I want to know the outcome of MF's love triangle. Hopefully it will reach that scale of epicness.
You know, I felt the same way with Minmei in the DRYL movie. I HATED Minmei from the series. With a passion. This dates back almost 25 years mind you, even as a little kid, I always liked Lisa/Misa better. However, the movie really put Minmei in a sympathetic light, and I could see myself having picked her instead with one change in circumstances
Spoiler for DYRL spoiler:

I had a friend of mine watch DRYL this last weekend, and he felt the same way about the old Minmei as me, so I was curious to see his reaction to the newer version. Unfortunately, he's not as flexible as I am, and wasn't able to let go of his childhood hatred towards Minmei. The most I could get out of him, was that this Minmei was better than the old one.

Obviously your mileage may vary with people, but I actually loved the Minmei from DYRL.
Old 2008-06-19, 11:43   Link #326
Lanis

WTF? I don't remember that from the movie.
Old 2008-06-19, 11:44   Link #327
Lanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
This forum's not only the restless one. The Chinese Macross forums had began talking about weird stuffs in one of supposedly preview episodes down the line, which I question the reliability of the source:

Spoiler:

Maybe it's suppose to mean that she helps someone do it instead of doing it herself? As a native chinese speaker, I know that the meaning of even a complete sentence can sometimes completely change depending on the context.
Old 2008-06-19, 11:47   Link #328
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanis View Post

WTF? I don't remember that from the movie.
It was heavily implied though it doesn't show the actual stuff going on. The fingers entwining together, the scene afterwards with the jumpsuit getting zipped up in the morning, etc, etc.

Kind of puts things in perspective doesn't it? And would explain why Hikaru is more loyal to Misa...

This was not a movie for kids. Or there'd not be a
Spoiler:
lol
Old 2008-06-19, 12:30   Link #329
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
I think we are getting down to the level of pairing off Ranka's Phone and the Panty stealing lizard thing.
Oh I remember one post in the image thread pairing (to put it mildly) the phone with the Nyan Nyan mascot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
This was not a movie for kids. Or there'd not be a
Spoiler:
lol
Same scene appeared in the TV series actually. When I saw that one in the original a couple of years ago, it confirmed my decade-old suspicion that Robotech was hiding something from me.
Old 2008-06-19, 12:32   Link #330
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Same scene appeared in the TV series actually. When I saw that one in the original a couple of years ago, it confirmed my decade-old suspicion that Robotech was hiding something from me.
Did Macross invent the gratuitous shower scene fanservice?
Old 2008-06-19, 14:13   Link #331
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Sheryl pulls even further ahead in 11.
Spoiler for ep 11:

Last edited by ickem; 2008-06-19 at 15:26.
Old 2008-06-19, 21:33   Link #332
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I know some will shoot me for this but...

I'm so sorry, guys. I'm really conflicted, because after watching this episode, I am this close to abandoning the Alto/Sheryl faction, it's just that...

Spoiler for Episode 11:
Old 2008-06-19, 21:43   Link #333
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Did Macross invent the gratuitous shower scene fanservice?
Along with beauty contests, men vs women in war and don't forget, transforming robots (aye, the Transformers indeed came LATER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Sheryl pulls even further ahead in 11.
That chat between Sheryl and Alto was nice. It didn't add much, but it was a nice touch.

And I always recall Sheryl going "I don't thank people often, you better recognize!"

- Tak
Old 2008-06-19, 22:02   Link #334
ReddyRedWolf

Meh more like bribe to me.

Extra pay with opportunity flying in a real planetary atmosphere.

Alto could be a flying baka like Isamu Dyson..
Old 2008-06-19, 22:07   Link #335
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post

Spoiler:

Don't take what they say seriously as they hardly say anything seriously.

Quote:

I'm so sorry, guys. I'm really conflicted, because after watching this episode, I am this close to abandoning the Alto/Sheryl faction, it's just that...

Spoiler for Episode 11:
As I have said many times before, give me SherylXKlan Klan I'd give up on Alto immediately. Wanta pair Alto with Ranka, Mikhail, or his step-brother? You can have him at a cost of only a Klan Klan and a blue VF-25.
Old 2008-06-19, 22:31   Link #336
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:

Spoiler for Episode 11:
That's allllllllll you.

Spoiler for ep11:

But I digress; they really have managed to fit every genre (and cliche) in the book so far into Frontier. I can see them shattering a few more archetypes before they're done, too. There's something for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
As I have said many times before, give me SherylXKlan Klan I'd give up on Alto immediately. Wanta pair Alto with Ranka, Mikhail, or his step-brother? You can have him at a cost of only a Klan Klan and a blue VF-25.
Come on, it's all about Ranka + Nanase FTW.
Old 2008-06-20, 03:30   Link #337
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Is there another one week break in between?

I just want to cry because this episode did nothing except to throw more fuel into the fire LMAO. Look how some posters almost cracked under the pressure.
Old 2008-06-20, 04:12   Link #338
Westlo
Lets be reality

No, thankfully there is no break between 11 and 12. TBS are showing it at a later time but MBS will show it in it's usual place.

Quote:

I've just watched SDF Macross-DYRL and Minmay was absolutely sweet there. I ached for her when she looked so happy to see Hikaru after he chose Misa.
Man the way her face lit up when she saw Hikaru really got to me, like Justin I've always been a Misa fan back from the Robotech days when she was Lisa to when I finally saw the proper Macross earlier this decade. DYRL Minmei was so much more sympathetic than the tv series version. If I had never seen the Macross series I probably would've been pissed at how the DYRL triangle ended... maybe....
Old 2008-06-20, 17:57   Link #339
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Man the way her face lit up when she saw Hikaru really got to me, like Justin I've always been a Misa fan back from the Robotech days when she was Lisa to when I finally saw the proper Macross earlier this decade. DYRL Minmei was so much more sympathetic than the tv series version. If I had never seen the Macross series I probably would've been pissed at how the DYRL triangle ended... maybe....
To be honest with you, I'm actually a little torn on the ending to DRYL. On the one hand, I've been cursed with the memory of the tv Minmei, and how much hate I had for her as a character. Yet, on the other hand, after the stranded for 3 days scene with Hikaru, she never played games with Hikaru's heart, and actively pursued him. (You know, kind of like what he was constantly doing towards Minmei through-out most of the series bleh) One scene makes me pick Misa in the movie over Minmei, and that's the one scene on Earth. If you took that scene out, I would have been rooting for Minmei to the end. She was SUCH a better character than the show version.
Old 2008-06-20, 18:09   Link #340
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Strangely enough, I never quite liked Minmei enough to see her paired with Hikaru in the show, or the movie. It just never occurred to me even for one split second that would happen, nor have I ever toyed with the idea. I guess in my mind, Minmei was just not ... 'right'.

I had the same feeling when I watched Macross II (even if it is non-canon). Although Hibiki spent more time with Ishtar, when Silvi proved to be not just another recurring character, it immediately became obvious to me that Ishtar had zero chance from the beginning.

I guess thats something called... intuition.

- Tak
Closed Thread

Tags
romance