AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2010-12-28, 07:12   Link #581
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

lol so Holo for the vatican
But yep, you've just summed up another reason why I consider this region likely. The entire setting just seems logical; the names, geography, history, all tie together rather well to suggest this is the rough region that the fantasised world of S&W occurs in; and of course the attitude of the church in the novels is very reminiscent of the church back in that period (money/power grabbing swines lol)

Obviously in terms of regional currency, every form of local power base would often have its own form of currency, regardless of a traditional nobility or royalty behind the name; money at its key core being another form of fixed form bartering. It's not necessarily the coin or construction of the coin that matters, but the belief that the issues will fulfill the commitment; much the same as cash or a cheque today; they're actually basically just a promise rather than fundamentally being worth anything
Given the number of small states, regional power holders etc, the sheer variation in currency could be (and was) truly immense at some points in history!
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 13:29   Link #582
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Given the weather and some of the language used I'm rather suspicious that if you had to give it an area of occuring, it'd be a fantasised northern Germany or thereabouts.

Some of the names in use (such as Lowen Trading Guild, Lowe being German for Lion), the descriptions of the area and also of Holo's origins and the direction of where she came from, compared to the geography of Europe would seem to allude to this, not to mention the countries north of Germany were always traditional hotspots of Pagan activity throughout the late Roman empire and beyond into the Dark Ages, which again would fit the setting and story.

Would seem to fit , and in lieu of a proper answer works for me
The feeling I always got was that of Medici era (14th C.) in Italy during the ascent of the merchant class. Italy was very balkanized... BUT
the terrain, politics, and geography also seem to match Germany at that time in many respects as well. Germany has the deep forests but then Italy has the Alps at its northern edge. Downside for Italy is the mountainous regions we don't see much of in the series. I could argue either case fairly well.... but I'll concede the Germanic region has a slight edge except for the sophistication of the mercantile sector.

In truth, the author obviously just grabbed elements of the Early Middle Ages he wanted for a fantasy tale much like Tolkien grabbed some mythical Europe in layout of geography and mythology for his Middle Earth.
Old 2010-12-29, 22:03   Link #583
BashZeStampeedo

To me the geography seems like they are traveling from an area like medieval Switzerland/Northwest Italy up through to Germany towards Denmark (it gets colder and more pagan, for instance, and they mention lordships and the papacy being further south, with icy places like Nyohirra further north). The way business is done also seems to be getting less organized, as though moving from medieval centers of commerce north towards less organized regions.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 17:51   Link #584
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Yep, as mentioned I've always tagged it as Germany/Denmark as well. It seems to fit. (to be fair Germany is quite a big country too, so it'd still be warmer in the south than the north)
Old 2011-01-01, 05:34   Link #585
nsmcho

Sorry to change the subject, but...
If I wanted one of these figures, I'd be expensive, right?
Isn't there a website where I can find them for cheap?
They are not really worth 250$.

nsmcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 08:08   Link #586
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

You might find one cheaper at a buy/trade store based out of Japan, but some of the rare spice and wolf merchandise (like the cups ) can be quite hard to find outside of Japan, unless you get someone in Japan to buy for you.
Old 2011-01-01, 09:11   Link #587
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
You might find one cheaper at a buy/trade store based out of Japan, but some of the rare spice and wolf merchandise (like the cups ) can be quite hard to find outside of Japan, unless you get someone in Japan to buy for you.
Even then it can be quite hard!

Lucky timing eh Tyr?
Old 2011-01-01, 10:08   Link #588
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Hahah yeah I'd guess so
She's watching me as I type this from the safety of the packaging as I dont have any safe display area right now
I was speaking with a few other guys I know about these and several mentioned they'd seen quite rare, and fairly high value models cheaply in second hand shops whilst over there, I guess sometimes the shops dont always realise the demand outside of Japan for this sort of stuff.
Old 2011-01-01, 12:10   Link #589
nsmcho

Quote:
Sold out, out of stock. And when it's in stock, the price is ridiculous. 250-500+$ (huh?)
Ok I get it, it's rare.
nsmcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 12:43   Link #590
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I did see one on the bay earlier for £90 (~$140)+P&P when I was looking to see what was up [one of these days another lot of mugs WILL show up...please]...cheapest I've actually seen that one, especially as theres another one on there for £220, and usually even the more common ones go for £120-130+. Rare stuff gets pretty pricey!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spice-and-Wolf...item53e58196f2

If you want to take a look
Old 2011-01-01, 22:14   Link #591
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmcho View Post
Sorry to change the subject, but...
If I wanted one of these figures, I'd be expensive, right?
Isn't there a website where I can find them for cheap?
They are not really worth 250$.

With limited edition items, the price is pretty much What-Someone-Is-Willing-To-Pay. And yeah, especially if it has that wood base I could see it going for $200+ (though $250 is a bit much).
Old 2011-01-01, 22:17   Link #592
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
With limited edition items, the price is pretty much What-Someone-Is-Willing-To-Pay. And yeah, especially if it has that wood base I could see it going for $200+ (though $250 is a bit much).
Unfortunately, it never came that way... just a nice promo shot. I have both releases of that figure... I payed >$100 for each one. Holo's got me shelling out way too much on her. But, I'm totally fine with it!
Old 2011-01-05, 02:19   Link #593
JML
ホロが大好きじゃ

Talking about items and luck...I'm sure it's already too late but have you any idea of where I can find 2011 Calendars ?

I've already checked on a lot of sites but found nothing
Old 2011-01-05, 06:22   Link #594
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
Talking about items and luck...I'm sure it's already too late but have you any idea of where I can find 2011 Calendars ?

I've already checked on a lot of sites but found nothing
I do not believe any were made... at least not they were not publicized. I believe because the series is not actively in a new season, they did not make a calendar.

I had been waiting for one for 2011 since September... but nothing ever appeared for purchase, so...
Old 2011-02-05, 05:04   Link #595
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Apparently there's a new Horo coming, and it looks better than most to date so I may get her if she becomes available to stores I use;

http://myfigurecollection.net/figure...ver_cm_s_corpo

Unable to find more info about her on the company site, though. Not a whole lot of info on the net at all.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 01:15   Link #596
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Apparently there's a new Horo coming, and it looks better than most to date so I may get her if she becomes available to stores I use;

http://myfigurecollection.net/figure...ver_cm_s_corpo

Unable to find more info about her on the company site, though. Not a whole lot of info on the net at all.
Not a great picture on the website... but the composition looks lovely and I have no idea where I'd be able to display this without a big sign that said "GODDESS AT WORK"
Old 2011-02-07, 01:23   Link #597
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Not a great picture on the website... but the composition looks lovely and I have no idea where I'd be able to display this without a big sign that said "GODDESS AT WORK"
There's more (and larger) pics; http://myfigurecollection.net/pictur...014#top-122582

But I want release info ;.;
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 14:54   Link #598
Offalmeier
This is my title.

I've never seen an anime that warranted purchase of anything related to it, besides the DVD's up until this.

Still, that's only a maybe. But some of this stuff looks pretty cool.
Offalmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 00:53   Link #599
Kamonichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
There's more (and larger) pics; http://myfigurecollection.net/pictur...014#top-122582

But I want release info ;.;
I really do want to know more about this. I know it'll be really expensive, but I hope it'll be reasonably-really expensive.
Kamonichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 15:49   Link #600
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamonichan View Post
I really do want to know more about this. I know it'll be really expensive, but I hope it'll be reasonably-really expensive.
When I hear something, I will post it the info here as well as on MFC.

For now, I just have to wait patiently.