AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-01, 20:08   Link #181
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm guessing Yukikaze was the point ship (recon) and thus far ahead of the fleet and unengaged until the elder Kodai decided to turn back to cover the Kirishima. I assume that they will get into why the Fleet was out on this mission in what seems like a suicide last stand...or desperation charge at Pluto Base. If this is a diversion...their better be a good plan backing all this up. Cause they just lost a lot of brave people, potentially for nothing.

Interesting song. I was trying to identify it as some older Japanese war song, but if it is new, than I wouldn't find it in some war film.

I do think the old "hard core" folks that have been complaining for the last several years about anime will be very happy to see this. Space Opera is so rarely done these days. And certainly not on this scale. It has been some time since I've seen a fleet action in any anime.

(oh what the hell, let's show it off.)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-02 at 18:51. Reason: Visual comfirmation
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 21:28   Link #182
GundamFan0083

Thank you Ithekro.

Now I absolutely must see this remake of the anime that got me into anime.
It looks fucking awesome!
Old 2012-04-01, 21:39   Link #183
YF19EX

Yukikaze's last stand was a nice dramatic touch in comparison to the original. I don't think I have heard such a orchestral composition piece like that since LOGH.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 01:46   Link #184
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it is pretty much THE Space Opera that the others were compared with until I suppose Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

From what I've heard (can't confirm) is that Macross started out as a Yamato parody, but once they started getting the mech designs in they decided to make it more serious (though you can see some elements that could still be Yamato parodies early on...like the early scene where everything that can go wrong with the lift off goes wrong. And of course the Macross Cannon in some respects.) But Macross finished it pretty much took over after Yamato ended in the early 1980s.

I've been trying to do a count of Earth ships. It is kind of haard since thing keep exploding, and the only reason we have a Gamilus count is they give it too us.

I count:
1 Battleship (Kirshima...the Flagship)
5 Cruisers (that is how many I counted being destroyed at least, and I cannot find a scene to indicate that there are anymore based on hull coloring.)
9 Destroyers (I assume they have more than that, but that, including Yukikaze, is all I can visually identify based on ships lost and ships on the screen after those ships are lost.)

I will assume there may be at least 18 destroyers based entirely on an American dub line, which may have no factual basis.
"They outnumber us five to one" ~Captain Avatar.

The Gamilus Fleet has at least 120 ships based on the on screen count and that the number of destroyers was still going up after the "89" cut. If that is the case, the Earth Fleet has about 24 ships.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-02 at 20:32.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:57   Link #185
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

It's such injustice that it'll be a while before the rest of this show airs (next year I hear?). Because that PV makes me want moar ;-;

Also, that "Bakame!" scene, remade

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:06   Link #186
August138

Actually, Episodes 1 & 2 are being released theatrically in Japan (ten cinemas nationwide) on April 7th, and the successive films (each four episodes), will be released two months apart — for a total of seven "movies" — the next being June 30th (IIRC). At each of the theaters screening the films, the corresponding DVD/BDs will be sold (one per ticketholder) a month before they become available from retailers.

Last edited by August138; 2012-05-12 at 16:27.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:34   Link #187
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
From what I've heard (can't confirm) is that Macross started out as a Yamato parody, but once they started getting the mech designs in they decided to make it more serious (though you can see some elements that could still be Yamato parodies early on...like the early scene where everything that can go wrong with the lift off goes wrong. And of course the Macross Cannon in some respects.) But Macross finished it pretty much took over after Yamato ended in the early 1980s.
See, the thing with all that is it honestly helped make the situation more believable. I.E. humans try to rebuild a crashed alien warship...and realize they can't understand/control half of the damn systems in it.

I suppose it's one of those believable things that's actually quite hilarious
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 14:09   Link #188
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Something I'm not sure about...but is the Kirishima's captain Osamu Yamanami? As it the guy from Be Forever, Yamato? Juzo Okita being the overall Fleet Commander, Yamanami would be his First Officer on the Kirishima. Because I could sware I heard Okita say "Yamanami-kun" before giving the last orders as Yukikaze was flying off.

Also do we have names for the rest of the Yukikaze's bridge crew? I'm pretty sure one of them is important as a plot element other than Captain Kodai. I'm guessing the important one is the First Officer, but it could have been the radio operator (not likely the helmsman since we only saw him really when they started singing).

I know the fleet officer giving orders to Yuki Mori was Admiral Ryu Hijikata. He is easy to spot. Though we only saw the back of the overall Armed Forces Commander, Heikuro Todo.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-02 at 14:26.
Old 2012-04-02, 18:48   Link #189
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I do thini the old "hard core" folks that have been complaining for the last several years about anime will be very happy to see this. Space Opera is so rarely done these days. And certainly not on this scale. It has been some time since I've seen a fleet action in any anime.
I'll definitely say that this is a lot closer to the type of show that got me into anime in the first place than a lot of recent TV fair that's for sure. Thanks for this, really can't wait for this to start.

Quote:
Well it is pretty much THE Space Opera that the others were compared with until I suppose Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

From what I've heard (can't confirm) is that Macross started out as a Yamato parody, but once they started getting the mech designs in they decided to make it more serious (though you can see some elements that could still be Yamato parodies early on...like the early scene where everything that can go wrong with the lift off goes wrong. And of course the Macross Cannon in some respects.) But Macross finished it pretty much took over after Yamato ended in the early 1980s
Arguably then Macross eventually made it back to it's original purpose then as I can hardly call it true space opera since probably the days of the original and DYRL. Nowadays it's more about the love triangles and the glitzy concert scenes and music than the high octane mass ship combat and space opera that characterized the original.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 19:26   Link #190
Skane
Anime Snark

Watching this made me tear up with nostalgia. I only wish I was as lucky as first-time viewers because I know what is going to happen, and it just makes me tear up more.

Strongly anticipating the "WARP!" scene.
<---- ----

Natch.
Old 2012-04-02, 19:37   Link #191
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I look forwards to your future 'Avatar".

I have positive identification of 10 characters and possibly 12 characters.
There are the obvious ones:
Captain Mamoru Kodai (Alex Wildstar) - Destroyer Yukikaze
Admiral Juzo Okita (Captain Avatar) - Battleship Kirishima
Chief Hikozaemon Tokugawa (Chief Engineer Orion) - Battleship Kirishima
Sukeharu Yabu (Engineer Sparks) - Battleship Kirishima
Yuki Mori (Nova Forrester) - Earth Command Center
Admiral Ryu Hijikata (Captain Gideon) - Earth Command Center
Earth Commander Heikuro Todo (Commander Singleton) - Earth Command Center
Sumumu Kodai (Derek Wildstar) - Mars Observaton
Daisuki Shima (Mark Venture) - Mars Observation
Spoiler for Plot point:

The two I'm not sure of are:
Captain Osamu Yamanami - Battleship Kirishima?
Spoiler for Plot point:

I'm almost certain the Kirishima's CO (and thus Okita's XO) is Captain Yamanami.

--------------------------------------
EDIT: Question. How are the Japanese reacting to this show?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-02 at 20:33. Reason: Question
Old 2012-04-02, 20:26   Link #192
August138

Quote:
Something I'm not sure about...but is the Kirishima's captain Osamu Yamanami? As it the guy from Be Forever, Yamato?
That's correct!

Quote:
Also do we have names for the rest of the Yukikaze's bridge crew?
I don't think so... Nothing I've seen lists them, yet.

Quote:
I know the fleet officer giving orders to Yuki Mori was Admiral Ryu Hijikata. He is easy to spot. Though we only saw the back of the overall Armed Forces Commander, Heikuro Todo.
Correctamundo!

There's another new character who we've not seen yet, but has a full name and a VA: 芹沢虎鉄 KOTETSU SERIZAWA voiced by 玄田哲章 TESSHO GENDA (Slegger Law, GUNDAM). I'm curious as to his role... Of course, the names of many of the Gamilas characters have leaked out, including new additions, such as the daughter of the Pluto Base Commander. And the Gamilas all have given and sirnames now.
Old 2012-04-02, 20:34   Link #193
August138

For those wondering why the UNCN sacrificed their 1st Fleet at the Battle of Pluto:
Spoiler for PLUTO OPERATION: ME-GO:
Old 2012-04-02, 22:01   Link #194
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I suppose they figured that these two important actions happening at the same time by coincidence is a bit to much to believe. And it doens't really help in keeping the events in the story tightly connected.
Old 2012-04-02, 22:26   Link #195
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmmm. I suppose that makes sense. Though they hopefully show and/or explain that later in the episode.

I have been asked if there is a scene showing a flashback to Yamato's sinking in 1945 (like there was in the original second episode). I've assumed that scene was cut for time in these two episodes since from what images I've seen on Yamato2199.net, it looks like they are combining events from episodes 2 and 3 of the 1974 run to make one episode.

Though that does give them time for another new story, or allow them to expand on another story that was shorter than it needed to be in the original run. Or just time to expand on all these new characters...and some not so new characters.

---------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Patches

I was looking (or trying to look give the video quality) at the uniform patches and ranks. Most have UNSF or UN Cosmo Navy on them and the like. There are also ship patches that you can see for "Yukikaze" and "Kirisima". However, Admiral Okita seems to have a different patch, that is just "Cosmo Navy" rather that being attached to a single ship.

The rank insignia is interesting. It has been said it is based on the JSDF ranks, but that seems only partly true. The ranks look like the Air Self Defense Forces Enlisted personnel ranks...which seems off as these are officers. But I can sort of piece together that ranking system form observation using Naval ranks....but I might be off by one rank based on assumtions. Particularly when it comes to gold and silver versions of the bars. Other information is based on translation of the crew with ranks and images from Yamato2199.net.

These are all on the shoulders

Nothing: Enlisted below Petty Officers?
Single silver or grey bar: Chief Petty Officer, or just Petty Officer?
Two silver or grey bars: Warrent Officer? (an odd rank that isn't used much anymore)
Single gold bar: Ensign
Two gold bars: Lieutenant, junior grade
Three gold bars: Lieutenant
Gold Chevron: Lt. Commander
Silver or Grey Chevron: Commander (seen on Momaru Kodai)
Gold Chevron and bar: Captain (seen on Yamanami)
Four gold bars: Admiral. (seen on Okita and Hijikata)
(The Admiral rank is sort of generic as most navies have multiple levels of Admiral today. Some include Commodore as a rank between Capain and Admiral)

The trouble here is the silver verse gold ranks and how they match up. The Japanese Self Defense Forces don't use two colors for officers ranks...but the Americans do, though the gold ranks are lower than the silver ranks there. Neither country uses chevrons for officers, but for all the different ranks of Petty Officers (a set enlisted rank, the Non-Commissioned Officers). So it gets strange with the chevrons on the elder Kodai's shoulder and Yamanami's shoulder, yet with the published data on some of the other personel...it gets a little confused.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-03 at 02:07. Reason: spelling and ranks
Old 2012-04-03, 02:06   Link #196
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

To say this is nostalgic for me would be an understatement. This is anime #001 for me, the very first.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 05:02   Link #197
August138

Ithekro: Yes, the ranking system was driving me a bit batty; it seems to be a mixture, but according to those working on the series, its foundation is that of the JMSDF, first. So, we may need to work that out — I hope that the English Subtitle translator for Bandai's BDs gets them right...

As for the patches — ask and ye shall receive:

Missing is the patch for the Kirishima, which is interchangeable with the Yukikaze patch. There is also another patch missing, same as the triangular Yamato patch, but with "UNCF" (By the way, UNCF does indeed stand for "United Nations Cosmo Force" — it can be seen on the shoulder of Admiral Hijikata in the ten minute clip). Also missing is the circular UNCF patch seen on the pressure suits of Kodai and Shima in the Mars scenes.

Hope this helps!
Old 2012-04-03, 05:30   Link #198
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

hmm can i have patch or something similar for my avatar

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 12:57   Link #199
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In pretty much all traditional navies, four gold stripes on your sleeve is Captian. I think France is the only major one that is difference in that they use five stripes. And no County uses chevrons for officers that I have found.

There are variations in how stripes are shown. Some use only one stripe size and add a larger stripe after three strips and repeat with this added thick stripe until the Admiral ranks. Those that follow the British traditions use two thicknesses of stripes and go up in half and full stripes until Commander (which is three full stripes) and jumps to four stripes for Captain. A few have Commander as three full stripes and a half stripe, but these countries start Ensign as a full stripe, while British practise is a half stripe for Ensign.

That the Cosmo Forces use a different ranking system is fine as long as they are consistant and manage to provide proof of ranks. The silver chevron on Mamoru Kodai while the Chief Engineer has a gold chevron makes one wonder which one is the higher rank. Added to that of course to the bars on the shoulder seem to go from one to three then swap to chevrons then suddenly four bars for the Okita (with anchor).

It is a mess that can be figured out.
Old 2012-04-03, 13:12   Link #200
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Arika Yamamoto is listed as being from Mars in her profile.

The Wikipedia entry on Space Battleship Yamato characters has updated this year to include tiny flags from the prefecute each person comes from, if know. (The 1974 male version of Yamamoto has no prefecute listed as that is a new thing.)
I suppose this is just to emphasize that only Japanese people survived the initial Gamilon planet bomb attacks

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato