AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-09-26, 00:02   Link #201
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Is that the spoiler or is it the text?
Eh? What are you referring to...?
Well, you put the inside covers under SPOILER tags and I was unsure whether it was Tama-chan that was the spoiler or the written text that was the spoiler.

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-26, 01:00   Link #202
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Oh no, there is no "spoiler"...I merely wrapped the pictures with spoiler tags because they were so large. XD
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-26, 09:40   Link #203
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote:
I think I read in the news recently that some latin language body recently added new words to the ocabularyvay, and some linguists didn't like the new words the body came up with because they were applying ancient application to what were essentially modern words. Obviouslyway isthay odybay idn'tday employway Akamatsuway-enseisay!
Well, the Vatican released the impressive (well, I think so) Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis (Lexicon of Recent Latinity) a few years back. It's full of neologisms such as capitilavium (for shampoo), vesticula balnearis Bikiniana (for bikini), and even instrumentum lasericum (for laser). I can see why people would be against the creation of new words, though. Then again, new Latinistic words are being created all the time in fields such as Biology. There is a difference between Classical Latin (written by Cicero, Julius Caesar, Ovid, and such) and Neo-Latin (written by Isaac Newton, Christopher Columbus, Galileo, and such). I doubt people would object to the names Tyrannosaurus rex (a Latinistic name created from existing Greek and Latin words; it literally means King Tyrant-Lizard) and Velociraptor (literally, Fast Thief), though. Even I like coming up with Neo-Latin terms. I once referred to Asuna as tintinnabulicoma, bell-haired.

The person who created the cards probably used the Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis to find some of the Neo-Latin terms.

Anyway, I would like to know more about those cards! Some of the information on them seems pretty cryptic to me now: tonus and directio.

Quote:
Not really off topic... but- yay for flying turtles! Is that the spoiler or is it the text?
I didn't notice that flying turtle until you mentioned it! How cute!

Quote:
Asuna's full version sword says "MINISTRA NEGII ASUNA" whereas ChaChaZero's blade says "MINISTRUM MAGI CHACHAZERO." I personally think it just means "mage's partner so-and-so."
That's about right. "MINISTRUM MAGI CHACHAZERO" means "attendant/follower of the magician ChaChaZero." "MINISTRUM" is neuter here.

"MINISTRA NEGII ASUNA" means "(female) attendant/follower of Negi, Asuna." Notice that extra "I" in "NEGII." It isn't an error, but a Latin grammatical feature. To make things simple (perhaps too simple), in this case, it means "...of Negi."
Old 2004-09-28, 22:38   Link #204
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphanus
Anyway, I would like to know more about those cards! Some of the information on them seems pretty cryptic to me now: tonus and directio.
OK, here's some interesting interpretations of the cards (I've left Konoka, Setsuna and Nodoka off, because they have been contracted, and so their abilities is already known- and it's spoilers to describe them):

Asuna: BELLATRIX SAUCIATA/WOUNDED FEMALE WARRIOR

I figure that (from the image) Asuna's power is that of a fighter, but what does the 'wounded' mean? Wouldn't that be classified as a weakness? I interpret that as meaning 'fights even when she is wounded', something that's backed up with her virtue being 'audacity', or boldness and daring. Being wounded is a sign of bravery (witness the 'Purple Heart' as an award for being wounded in combat.) The card would then enhance her combat abilities, with possibly improving her constitution, so she can fight longer.

Makie: ARMATURA QUINQUIPLEX/FIVE-FOLD EQUIPMENT

Makie is an acrobatic gymnast, so why five-fold equipment? We know from Vol. 2 that she is able to use her gymnastic ribbon as a limb extension. Well, (I could be wrong) but isn't there five disciplines as a female gymnast? The uneven bars, the mat, the pommel horse, the balancing bar and the rings- all of which involve great dexterity and strength. The enhancement of those abilities would make Makie some kind of super gymnast- able to balance on the thinnest wall, being able to squeeze through the smallest crack. Her virtue is 'hope', so she is also cheerful and able to inspire when things are low.

Chisame: IDOLUM VIRTUALE/VIRTUAL IDOL

I originally thought that with her computer skills Chisame would have the ability to manipulate computer systems, perhaps even be able to access and enter the cyberworld. Whilst this is still possible, I am wondering if perhaps she has a different skill- that of disguise. We know that she dresses up and becomes a totally different person in appearance- perhaps her skill is just that, but to a higher degree. She can disguise herself as anyone and be totally convincing. Her virtue is 'moderation', which generally means placed in the centre, not at the extremes. However, we know she doesn't like Negi, and equally doesn't care so much about her fellow students, whilst everyone else thinks Negi is the bees' knees. Perhaps she is able to see what things are, whilst everyone can be mistaken or deceived (liking Negi can be seen as an extreme position). After all, it takes a master deceiver to be able to see a deception.

Shina: HILARATRIX FORTUNANS/FORTUNIZING CHEERLEADER

Shina hasn't been featured as much as the others, so I think her character isn't as clear to me. But being a cheerleader, she is meant to inspire others to victory. Perhaps her power is to be an inspiring force, especially when things look bad. 'Fortunising' isn't a word, but it's meaning is clear- 'to make fortunate'. Shina pushes the odds back into her side's favour. She also has the virtue of audacity- in this case, she encourages and emboldens others to work and play harder- all part of being a cheerleader.

Quote:
I didn't notice that flying turtle until you mentioned it! How cute!
You need to read Love Hina!

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-29, 00:32   Link #205
USCPharmacist

Wow I can't believe Mr. A put such a suggestive outfit on Asuna in 69 hours. She looks like a striper now heeheheh.

By the way my greatest fear has come to pass. If dog boi and negi become closer friends, I am afraid we'll see BL fanfic on the internet soon.....the horror the horror

One more thing, the five weapons Makie uses are throwing sticks, ball, ribbon, rope and the hoop.
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-29, 01:13   Link #206
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
this is still possible, I am wondering if perhaps she has a different skill- that of disguise. We know that she dresses up and becomes a totally different person in appearance- perhaps her skill is just that, but to a higher degree. She can disguise herself as anyone and be totally convincing. Her virtue is 'moderation', which generally means placed in the centre, not at the extremes. However, we know she doesn't like Negi, and equally doesn't care so much about her fellow students, whilst everyone else thinks Negi is the bees' knees. Perhaps she is able to see what things are, whilst everyone can be mistaken or deceived (liking Negi can be seen as an extreme position). After all, it takes a master deceiver to be able to see a deception.
Excellent theory, I like it! + rep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2k
Shina hasn't been featured as much as the others, so I think her character isn't as clear to me.
Shouldn't you refer to her as Sakurako since we're on first-name basis here? ^_^
Well, so far Sakurako has won two underdog bets--she bet on 2-A to win first place AND Nodoka to win out in the Kiss Battle, so her "luck" is already apparent; she's the anti-Kistune, so to speak...

On a side note, Milfeulle Sakuraba from Galaxy Angel has extreme luck, too...no relations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
Wow I can't believe Mr. A put such a suggestive outfit on Asuna in 69 hours. She looks like a striper now heeheheh.
Where there is Asuna, there is fan service...and since we've already seen her naked for two hours, it's time for something better! XD

Quote:
By the way my greatest fear has come to pass. If dog boi and negi become closer friends, I am afraid we'll see BL fanfic on the internet soon.....the horror the horror
Maybe doggy will help Negi conquer the class; I mean, 31 girls is a tad too much for Negi alone. XD
Old 2004-09-29, 08:13   Link #207
Sydney2K

Quote:
One more thing, the five weapons Makie uses are throwing sticks, ball, ribbon, rope and the hoop.
Hmmm, which chapter is this mentioned? (Must look it up.)

Quote:
Well, so far Sakurako has won two underdog bets--she bet on 2-A to win first place AND Nodoka to win out in the Kiss Battle, so her "luck" is already apparent; she's the anti-Kistune, so to speak...
Good point- I missed that.

I forgot to add two more card interpretations- here they are:

Ayaka: BURGENSIS FLORENS/BOURGEOIS ABOUNDING IN FLOWERS

Ayaka is a tough girl to work out because she doesn't seem to have any outstanding talents (unless you watch DIC Sailor Moon, in which case she does have a pair of "outstanding talent" .) However she does say in volume 4 and displays in volume 5 that she has martial arts training (small spoiler but it won't hurt.) The only things she has in abundance is beauty, intelligence, wealth, style and a love for Negi! But she is class president and everyone respects her, so her virtue, 'justice' and the fact that she is upper class ('bourgeois') places her skill as perhaps a wise and just leader and possible organiser. If she has got magical skills, she might be able to throw clouds of flower petals to confuse and confound attackers.

Satomi: MAC[H]INATRIX INSANA/INSANE INVENTRESS

Although Satomi hasn't appeared as a featured character in the few appearances she has made with a speaking part we already know that she is a whiz with mechanics. So it seems fairly obvious where Satomi's talents lie- in inventing, building and repairing machines. Dare I say that she would have talents that would rival McGyver and Washuu if she made a contract with Negi? Whilst her virtue is 'intelligence' I would qualify it by saying it's not theoretical intelligence, where one thinks up ideas, but more practical intelligence, where one solves problems. And don't they say, "necessity is the mother of invention?"

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-29, 09:44   Link #208
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote:
Asuna: BELLATRIX SAUCIATA/WOUNDED FEMALE WARRIOR

I figure that (from the image) Asuna's power is that of a fighter, but what does the 'wounded' mean? Wouldn't that be classified as a weakness? I interpret that as meaning 'fights even when she is wounded', something that's backed up with her virtue being 'audacity', or boldness and daring.
Well, I was able to think of some ways that Asuna is the BELLATRIX SAUCIATA: she is pretty feisty, and she wears bandages in that picture.

Quote:
Makie: ARMATURA QUINQUIPLEX/FIVE-FOLD EQUIPMENT

Makie is an acrobatic gymnast, so why five-fold equipment? We know from Vol. 2 that she is able to use her gymnastic ribbon as a limb extension. Well, (I could be wrong) but isn't there five disciplines as a female gymnast?
I don't know about that, but I can see that she is wielding five different kinds of items in the picture:

Ball (Latin globus)
Hoop (Latin circulus)
Batons (Latin virgae)
Ribbon (Latin taenia)
String (Latin filum)

(I can't guarantee that the manga would use those particular Latin words, though. They're the words that are likely to be used if they are used.)

I decided to look up the Latin word armatura again. Its main meaning is "armor" or "equipment," but it apparently can mean "armed soldiers" (plural). The Japanese site that shows Japanese translations of the Latin words on the cards shows "五重の武装者" (something like "fivefold armed person") as a translation of "ARMATURA QUINQUIPLEX." So perhaps armatura should be translated as "armed person" in this case?

Quote:
Chisame: IDOLUM VIRTUALE/VIRTUAL IDOL

I originally thought that with her computer skills Chisame would have the ability to manipulate computer systems, perhaps even be able to access and enter the cyberworld.
I actually thought that "IDOLUM VIRTUALE" referred to how she takes pictures of herself and posts them on her site. She is an "idol" in the people-like-her sense, and "virtual" is used in the computational sense.

Someone else around here may eventually realize that idolum is a neuter noun in Latin. However, when you give people epithets and appellations in Latin, the words don't always match up with the gender of the person. Sometimes they just can't. ("Donald Duck" is translated into Latin as "Donaldus Anas," but "anas" is usually feminine.)

Quote:
'Fortunising' isn't a word, but it's meaning is clear- 'to make fortunate'.
Well, the Oxford English Dictionary has "fortunize" and "fortunizing." Here's a screenshot (since it's not free to see the entries):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../fortunize.gif

The "FORTUNIZING" in "FORTUNIZING CHEERLEADER" is supposed to be a participial adjective that means "making fortunate" or something like that (but not "to make fortunate"). It's meant to be a translation of the Latin fortunans, meaning something like "making fortunate," and is a present participle form of the verb fortunare. (Fortunare is the infinitive meaning "to make fortunate.") "HILARATRIX FORTUNANS" sound okay in Latin, but unfortunately, "Making-Fortunate Cheerleader" sounds a bit weird in English. "Fortunizing" sounds like a good word, but it seems to be obscure and rare. Perhaps "Cheerleader who makes others fortunate" would be better in English, but that's not a direct translation of the Latin text. If you can come up with another word or set of words that sounds good in English and means "making fortunate" or even "making lucky," I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
You need to read Love Hina!
I have been meaning to do that! Naru ("antemnicoma" meaning "antenna-haired") and Motoko ("chelonophoba" meaning "fearing-turtles") are cuties, I think!

Quote:
Ayaka: BURGENSIS FLORENS/BOURGEOIS ABOUNDING IN FLOWERS
"BURGENSIS" gave me trouble at first. I thought it meant "person of the city Burgos," but that didn't make much sense to me. (The "-ensis" suffix is tacked onto place names in Latin make a word that means "of [name of place]." "-ensis" was tacked onto the end of "Chin" to get "Chinensis" meaning "of China" or "Chinese." Rosa chinensis literally means "Chinese Rose" or "Rose of China.) Then I saw "burgensis" being used as a translation of "bourgeois," which did seem to fit.

Florens is a present participial form of floreo ("to flower"), so it means something like "Abounding in flowers" or "flowering." It can also mean "shining" or "flourishing." In Ayaka's case, since there are flowers behind her, I decided to use "ABOUNDING IN FLOWERS."

Quote:
(unless you watch DIC Sailor Moon, in which case she does have a pair of "outstanding talent" .)
I know about that!

Quote:
The only things she has in abundance is beauty, intelligence, wealth, style and a love for Negi!
She certainly is "shining" and "flourishing," huh?

Quote:
Satomi: MAC[H]INATRIX INSANA/INSANE INVENTRESS
What I see on her card immediately makes me think that she is the "mad scientist" type.

Anyway, I noticed that there are some Latin phrases indicated by the Japanese script in the preview-for-volume-3 pages (192-195). These might be spoilers, so I'll hide them just in case:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-29, 15:57   Link #209
Sydney2K

New cards?

OK, I want to know where these cards come from!

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-29, 16:30   Link #210
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Anyway, I noticed that there are some Latin phrases indicated by the Japanese script in the preview-for-volume-3 pages (192-195).
Where is this preview from? I don't recall seeing this.

Quote:
OK, I want to know where these cards come from!
Wow, pretty fanarts. I too want to see the full versions for them!

I'm not sure if you guys have read Akamatsu's discussion of the cards, but they provide some insight to the characters and their alignments in the cards.

Example:

On this page Akamatsu says Madoka's card boosts "strength" and Misa's boosts "libido" (desire, motivation), so these are information you can find anywhere else (yet).

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-09-29 at 21:22. Reason: just because
Old 2004-09-29, 19:35   Link #211
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote:
Where is this preview from? I don't recall seeing this.
I was talking about the section in the English volume 2. I don't know if it's in the Japanese books.

I really like these:
http://tinypic.com/aa3bc

Old 2004-09-29, 21:17   Link #212
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
I was talking about the section in the English volume 2. I don't know if it's in the Japanese books.
Apparently not. So are these previews scenes taken directly from the next volume?
Old 2004-09-29, 22:25   Link #213
Sydney2K

Quote:
<CLIPped card descriptions>
I'm reading Diaphanus' replies to my card interpretations, thinking 'he doesn't know that the cards can do', when I realise- "he doesn't know that the cards can do!!!" Suffice it to say, for people who have only read the Del Rey volumes, once you read volume three (due next month!), you'll understand what creating a compact does, but it's not until later volumes that you'll be able to see what cards can do. Suffice it to say, they're very powerful. Part of the answer, the relationship of Magisters and Ministers, is explained in volume 2, but I'll let Kamo, the white ermine, explain the rest in volume 3.

Quote:
Quote:
Apparently not. So are these previews scenes taken directly from the next volume?
Yes, but untranslated, leaving the kanji. I think it's a great idea myself.

BTW, a bit disappointed with the extras in volume 7- only one page of pre-production sketches of ChaChaMaru sans clothes and a page of fan art.

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-29, 23:21   Link #214
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
I'm reading Diaphanus' replies to my card interpretations, thinking 'he doesn't know that the cards can do', when I realise- "he doesn't know that the cards can do!!!"
Ohhhhhh...wow, then we are really spoiling things for Diaphanus here! Shame on us! >_<

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm, which chapter is this mentioned? (Must look it up.)
Akamatsu mentioned it in the latest "Negima's Work Space" on this page:

I only have the translated version...but it's in there. ^_^

Anyways, I've just read the translated 69th Hour.

No more Konayuki's Negima scanslations...VERY NOOO!~ >_____<
She announced that due to her financial woes and inability to find a job, she's too depressed to work on scanslations. As for the guy doing the editing, he's forced to devote time elsewhere...nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!~

Sigh, I love their side commentaries so much I even prefer their scanslation to the actual Chinese publication (which I still buy). Ay, time to look for alternate source for Negima (and DCSG?!) scans...Miyusky comes to mind, but nothing can replace the void left in my heart~ T___T

But enough of the depressing talk! Onward with Negima!

Spoiler for 69th Hour:

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-09-30 at 00:07. Reason: because I can!
Old 2004-09-30, 02:13   Link #215
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote:
I'm reading Diaphanus' replies to my card interpretations, thinking 'he doesn't know that the cards can do', when I realise- "he doesn't know that the cards can do!!!"
Yesss... in fact, I'm just going on 1) what I've read in English volume 2 (I haven't read English volume 1 yet), 2) my knowledge of Latin, and 3) what you folks have told me. In other words, I still know relatively little. To be honest, I really haven't seen how those cards relate to the story. I didn't even know they did have any special connection to the story until your previous post.

With that said, I think that my Latin translations will make more sense after I know more about what the cards can do.
Old 2004-09-30, 02:33   Link #216
USCPharmacist

So the translator is Japanese, I always thought she is Chinese, oh well.

I also enjoyed her little comments, guess I'll have to wait for the slow arse Tongli's translation.
Spoiler:

The story is getting more and more like a Harem RPG. That's sounded like fun.
I bet Harry is jealous of Negi, especially when Miss M fall for his friend

Last edited by USCPharmacist; 2004-10-01 at 14:13.
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 03:03   Link #217
Sydney2K

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yesss... in fact, I'm just going on 1) what I've read in English volume 2 (I haven't read English volume 1 yet), 2) my knowledge of Latin, and 3) what you folks have told me. In other words, I still know relatively little. To be honest, I really haven't seen how those cards relate to the story. I didn't even know they did have any special connection to the story until your previous post.

With that said, I think that my Latin translations will make more sense after I know more about what the cards can do.
Quote:
Ohhhhhh...wow, then we are really spoiling things for Diaphanus here! Shame on us! >_<
Not really- I avoided describing Konoka's, Nodoka's and Setsuna's cards because they are in the story, whilst the others (excepting Asuna's) are still only conjecture. What the cards do is really a spoiler though.
Quote:

I also enjoyed her little comments, guess I'll have to wait for the slow arse Tongli's translation.
You call that slow, how about Meow's English/Finnish translation? Tankubon 7's just passed the current translated chapter.

USChemist, your spoiler didn't work- you have to use square brackets. Here's your spoiler:
Spoiler:

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-09-30, 03:05   Link #218
Sydney2K

Quote:
<SPOILERS clipped>
Shush- that really should have spoiler tags.
Old 2004-09-30, 04:26   Link #219
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:

Eh? I thought she was Chinese as well...isn't she?
Well, VMS and this other guy are going to pick up the translation job after they retire next chapter though I'm still going to miss the side comments.

Besides, miyusky does Negima as well...I can always fall back to the simplified Chinese version, but I think VMS will do a decent job.

Quote:
Spoiler for Del Ray readers!:

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-09-30 at 04:56.
Old 2004-09-30, 07:23   Link #220
hihiman

So whos was it that was gonna translate??? anyways.... haven't I seen u on the forums.... oh well~~ btw 70 is the last translation for konayuki right??
hihiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy