AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-18, 16:52   Link #1441
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Think you could come up with something better, ghaz? I'm no Gundam nut, but I thought Destiny (both the Gundam and the series in general) was pretty awesome. Apparently I'm mostly alone in that regard...
I have no qualms that you try to have Tiana have wings. I mean heck Nanoha had wings on her ankles.

It's the reference to SEED Destiny that bothered me ><

And for someone like you, SEED and SEED Destiny would fit your tastes.

The original Gundam, and Zeta Gundam you would hate. A much darker tone. Heck the main character in Zeta Gundam actually loses his mind, per se, by the end of it.

(Needs to watch the rest of Zeta Gundam ><)

UNIVERSAL CENTURY FTW!
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 16:56   Link #1442
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
I have no qualms that you try to have Tiana have wings. I mean heck Nanoha had wings on her ankles.

It's the reference to SEED Destiny that bothered me ><

And for someone like you, SEED and SEED Destiny would fit your tastes.

The original Gundam, and Zeta Gundam you would hate. A much darker tone. Heck the main character in Zeta Gundam actually loses his mind, per se, by the end of it.

(Needs to watch the rest of Zeta Gundam ><)

UNIVERSAL CENTURY FTW!
Can't forget that the Universal Century also has one of the greatest ship captains of all time: Bright Noa . Can turn almost any whiny, emo pilot into one of awesomeness with his patented BRIGHT SLAP!!
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 16:59   Link #1443
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Well, she is ultimately trying to become an Air Combat mage like Tiida... though I was specifically asking if you had better ideas for the Mirage Colloid system. We've already got a perfect cloaking system capable of hiding entire space stations like GENESIS, but the afterimage effect struck me as being really cool for a Real Robot feature, and it fits perfectly as a modification of Optic Hide.

Alex is probably going to turn into a God/Exia hybrid due to his focus on melee weapons. Now I just need to get my hands on a torrent and actually start watching 00...

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 17:04   Link #1444
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Well, she is ultimately trying to become an Air Combat mage like Tiida... though I was specifically asking if you had better ideas for the Mirage Colloid system. We've already got a perfect cloaking system capable of hiding entire space stations like GENESIS, but the afterimage effect struck me as being really cool for a Real Robot feature, and it fits perfectly as a modification of Optic Hide.
What the Destiny did is a knock-off of the original concept employed by the F-91. However, rather than having to generate the particles through it's backpack, the F-91's method of creating the afterimages is by means of venting heat throughout the entire body.

The afterimages are actually part of it's cooling system. Now THAT is a Real Robot feature, rather than creating afterimages simply because of the wings on its back.

As for how Tiana goes about it, I'm not sure.
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 17:14   Link #1445
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
What the Destiny did is a knock-off of the original concept employed by the F-91. However, rather than having to generate the particles through it's backpack, the F-91's method of creating the afterimages is by means of venting heat throughout the entire body.

The afterimages are actually part of it's cooling system. Now THAT is a Real Robot feature, rather than creating afterimages simply because of the wings on its back.

As for how Tiana goes about it, I'm not sure.
Hmm...according to MAHQ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam
Using a variant of the "Voiture Lumiere" propulsion system of the GSX-401FW Stargazer, the Destiny Gundam can generate a pair of "wings of light," allowing for high-speed movement. During this high speed movement, the wings of light scatter Mirage Colloid particles to create afterimages of the suit in the surrounding area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 Gundam F91
The Gundam F91 would perform superbly during the conflict, and its abilities would soon have another surprise in store for Seabook. Being a very high-performance unit, the F91's weapons and systems generated a tremendous amount of heat. This heat was normally dissipated through a seat of radiator fins built into the mobile suit's shoulders; however, excessive amounts of heat would sometimes still remain throughout the mobile suit's body. Another method of getting rid of this heat was by "shedding" the heated outermost layer of the Gundam's armor; this had the rather dramatic effect of creating "after-images" of the mobile suit while it was moving. While confronting Crossbone Vanguard leader Carozzo Ronah's deadly XMA-01 Rafflesia mobile armor, Seabook would find this ability useful in tricking his enemy into attacking targets that were not where they appeared to be.
Old 2008-06-18, 17:22   Link #1446
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
A knock-off... or an homage? Destiny seems to be loaded with these things, and I guess your opinion of the series has something to do with which of those two you think it is. I mean, nobody rips on Nanoha's blaster system for being a DRAGOON system rip-off, or at least nobody I've spoken to...

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-18, 17:34   Link #1447
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Quote:
A knock-off... or an homage? Destiny seems to be loaded with these things, and I guess your opinion of the series has something to do with which of those two you think it is. I mean, nobody rips on Nanoha's blaster system for being a DRAGOON system rip-off, or at least nobody I've spoken to...
Oh, we've already discusses the connection between Nanoha's Blaster System and the Funnel System (the DRAGOON system really isn't a good comparison. The Fin Funnel system used by the RX-93 Nu Gundam is much more similar in terms of use and function. This is also where the idea that Nanoha was a newtype evolved from). The original SEED series was designed to initially be a re-telling of the original Kidou Senshi Gundam series to expose newer fans to the origins of Gundam. About the point where the ArcAngel arrives in the desert is where it takes its own coarse and deviates from the original events. The majority of the homages to the original line were in the plot and story events. Some similarities between the mobile suits were there while others were 'revisions' of the originals, like the MS-06 Zaku II and MS-07 Gouf.
Old 2008-06-18, 18:04   Link #1448
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Oh, we've already discusses the connection between Nanoha's Blaster System and the Funnel System (the DRAGOON system really isn't a good comparison.
GaoGaiGar-tan, then. My point is that Destiny detractors seem to spend more time finding ways to bitch about the series than the rest of us spend enjoying it. If it's not "Jesus Yamato" then it's usually how the series "rips off" the rest of the franchise. Meanwhile on my end the eyes just won't stop rolling.

I mean sure, the series had its' flaws. Shinn was such a whiny little bitch that I lost all sympathy for him about six or seven episodes in, and the recap episodes were annoying enough that I just skipped over them, but overall I thought it was a worthy addition to the Gundam franchise. I was especially fond of Luna, and the end of the series leading up to that one scene right at the climax of episode 50 had me really worried that she'd get killed off, most likely due to Shinn's actions. I just didn't expect that connection to nearly be so... direct.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-18, 19:13   Link #1449
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Ah, I think I've just figured out which mech Teana's armor is going to be based off of. Who's up for Teana + the X42S Destiny Gundam? Wings of Light, bitch!
oO

*punts Comar to go read about his OC Claire-Marie Eugenie de Kluize, who at full release IS Destiny-tan*

Actually V Gundam was ripped off twice in Destiny canon, the second time being a more wholesale copypasta, the Delta Astray. The rest are just using the Voiture Lumire tech, like starting with Stargazer, and ending with Destiny Gundam. Which actually means these two mecha were ripping off Vanguard grunts from V Gundam.

And I prefer Teana + Nadleeh Gundam... For the long hair coming from helm and epic backstory. :3
Old 2008-06-18, 19:23   Link #1450
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
So, I decided I'm going to change the element to Wind. Anyways, I'm going to work on the mechanical aspects of the character, but I'm not sure how I make it so that my post isn't large. Which button do I push to make it do that?

Also, my character being trained by Vita is allowed, right?
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 19:49   Link #1451
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Just a quick posting: What Destiny detractors really dislike about the series is how it screwed with everyone - especially Cagalli and Athrun, both of whom were massively out of charecter.

Destiny had great potential, but it didn't live up to that potential.

Also, Kha, I WILL NOT LET YOU MAKE TEANA INTO THE NADLEEH. WHY?

IN NAVAJO LORE, A NADLEEH IS A TRAP. A TRAP WHO BECOMES A TRAP FOR RELIGIOUS PURPOSES.

DO NOT TAKE A REAL GIRL AND TURN HER INTO A TRAP.

@LE: Collect the $200 dollars if you want, I have no use for it.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 20:41   Link #1452
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Who's turning a girl into a trap? And why does a feminine robotic armor have to do with religious purposes?

Granted you weren't around when this idea was first proposed and later polished in the IRC, but I've spoiled enough people, so no further elaboration.

Why do I even bother responding to someone on hair trigger because of lack of sleep...
Old 2008-06-18, 20:52   Link #1453
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

In Navajo lore, Kha, the Nadleeh is a trap. A religious purposes trap.

Thus the Nadleeh is symbolism for the fact that Tieria is a trap.

Thus Teana + Nadleeh Gundam = turning Teana into a trap.

Now you know how I feel.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 20:56   Link #1454
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

If its just semantics, then you don't have to worry; the end result of Teana + Nadleeh + customization is Dominion, the highest of the middle ranks for angels namely Power, Virtue and Dominion.

But thanks for that; I was wondering what the heck Nadleeh meant.

So to clarify, I don't run Nadleeh naked in Nanohaverse. The first user ran her with an exoskeleton called Power, Foy inherited it and made Virtue, and so the next in line would be Dominion if I do decide to go ahead. Nadleeh was called Nadleeh because yes the first user was male and did have some religious purpose, and the name stuck when "Princess" Foy took over, who was both a trap with a religious purpose.

But I did change more of Foy to be less trappy, so its more like he's a "pretty boy" in looks but not in personality. I felt I was assassinating Alto had I stuck to my original idea.
Old 2008-06-18, 22:04   Link #1455
Liingo
Love Hina?

Hmm, some interesting stuff that was found there Kha. I'll wait and see how official all this is before going for any changes. Not that I think I need to do anything..

Quote:
And on a related note, are there any objections to giving Iris a bunch of different elemental spells but no elemental alignment? I've noted that Chrono's wiki entry claims he's particularly skilled with elemental conversion, and I was thinking of giving Iris a similar ability boosted by her Unison, sort of the elemental version of a jack of all trades.
No objections on the elemental spells but boosted by her Unison? Explain please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirron View Post
So, I decided I'm going to change the element to Wind. Anyways, I'm going to work on the mechanical aspects of the character, but I'm not sure how I make it so that my post isn't large. Which button do I push to make it do that?

Also, my character being trained by Vita is allowed, right?
Use the spoiler tags to cut your post up into bits and pieces,
eg: {spoiler="Skills"} {/spoiler} but with square brackets [] instead of the curly ones to get *points down*

Spoiler for Skills:

If you go into the message reply window, you'll see a button for the spoiler function in the top right (A yellow triangle with an exclaimation mark)

It'll be fine for your OC to be trained by Vita

@Thread: Kindly keep the mecha discussion to a minimum please. That and keep it to IRC. Thanks
Gah, more people who want mecha in their mahou shoujo *sigh*
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 22:26   Link #1456
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

I insist that Power-Armored Men and Musume (PAMs) be delisted as mecha! They are human mages after all! Such blanket compartmentalization is wrongful stereotyping and character discrimination!

Equal rights for PAMs! Equal rights for PAMs!

()
Old 2008-06-18, 22:32   Link #1457
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
"...Five minutes ago, a massive blast ripped through the Cadia IRC. Details are still sketchy, but it appears some new canon material has fallen into Cadia:
I'm just going to curl up in the corner and weep now, thank you.

How the hell are we supposed to "stick to the canon" when the canon is so inconsistent, arbitrary, and delayed?

If this goes on, I'm going to just write what I know, and ignore the canon revelations from sources not in the anime, and only the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
- Type 4 Gadget Drones were of Ancient Belkan manufacture (suggesting that Jail may not even have been involved with Nanoha's accident).
When was the label "Type 4" first given, out of interest? Was it from Jail, the TSAB, or did the Ancient Belkans actually call them "Type 4"?

I ask because "Type 4" implies Types one to three. If it's a TSAB or Jail label, understandable when it's the fourth model fielded/encountered, rather than the fourth model produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
For all we know, it could be the the Tome of the Night Sky that sparked of the death of the Homeworld and the Cradle was converted into a fugitive ship for the luckier ones. But that's just yet another piece of speculation, on my part .
Convenient segue to an idea I had:

Can I say that the Tome of the Night Sky (the original pre-Book of Darkness version) was one of thirteen Legendary Artefacts from Al Hazardian times? (Which is not the same as "from Al Hazard", but the general tech/magic/power level is similar.) Obviously, the other twelve would be stuff I make up.

Would that contradict any part of the canon we know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
Gah, more people who want mecha in their mahou shoujo *sigh*
I think I remember something like this happening before in the Old OC thread. It led to a substantial debate on whether MSLN is Mahou Shoujo or Mecha or some proportion of a combination, with plenty of arguments about how much of each genre is present.

I mention this because I'm seeing the same thing now with D&D 4E and the retort to "this is nothing like D&D" being "so what is D&D in the first place?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 22:41   Link #1458
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
No objections on the elemental spells but boosted by her Unison? Explain please.
Alright, you know how Rein II boosts Hayate's control to acceptable levels in canon? That's the basic purpose of a unison device, to fill in holes in a mage's abilities and help them with their weak points. But Iris doesn't really have weak points in her spellcasting; power, control, speed, she's above average in all categories including her spell list; she's a hybrid ranged/melee fighter with a lot of ranged spells which can be modified to be used with deadly effect in melee (turning an unguided shooting spell into a shotgun burst for instance). So instead of compensating for a weakness, Iris's unison partner (the second half of her mind, if you will) boosts her ability to convert magic into elemental effects; as they say, two heads are better than one, and Iris has two heads merged into one. Even if they aren't necessarily aware of each other there's still two minds focusing on one given task at any given time... does that make any sense or am I just rambling?

Anyways, here's an alternate take on the Hardsuits I just whipped up. Let's see if Goose likes this one better than the Weapon Device setup.

Spoiler for Armor Device:

If anyone has any ideas for more extensions, let me hear 'em!

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-18, 23:11   Link #1459
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
"...Five minutes ago, a massive blast ripped through the Cadia IRC. Details are still sketchy, but it appears some new canon material has fallen into Cadia:
Spoiler for Saint's Cradle:
A cursory look at nanohawiki by Nightengale has confirmed the data on some points, like the 462 year of the old Childa calender, but the link of Cradle to the biggest dimensional dislocation in memory is still in question.

Nevertheless, this may very well change what we know of Belka history. As you can see this newly erected fence around the crash site was put up by the Saint Guard less then 2 hours ago. The Cleric-Knights and some Inquisitors have already moved in and retrieved the mess for an internal investigation. Media has been cordoned off, we even see that TSAB Enforcers have been blocked! And we are still getting no word from the Belka self-government about this issue.

Looks like we have to wait this out and see what becomes of this Khrack. Back to you Gerald."

- Except of a report filed by reporter Phillis Hemmingway at Ground Zero.
Interesting. Can we have the original Japanese?
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 23:17   Link #1460
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Just a quick post, but Ark look up Nanohawiki. This came form en.wiki. Gtg for my test nao.

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content