AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2011-08-21, 00:17   Link #41
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
This series is the best, i almost never dream about anime or manga, but this one after reading it, i dream all night about the titans, is very adictive
Old 2011-08-21, 00:23   Link #42
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeroBAKA View Post
This series fascinates me. My theory about its incredible success is that we the readers are stunned to read a story, in which humans are overpowered by such difform creatures.
Really? Nothing comes to mind as of now, but i would have thought manga/anime/tv shows/movies where humans are hunted were not that uncommon, if not overused. Despite being enjoyable, i didn't get that "Wow this is original" vibe from it, just the "This is awesome" one.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 15:55   Link #43
yuzen003

chapter 25 is out.

Speculation on the experiment in the chapter, the titans are known to be sunlight dependent so that probably is the cause of the delay in his transformation. There wasn't enough light in the well and he needed some time after getting out to acumulate energy.
yuzen003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 16:01   Link #44
Johnny
Working the bags...

He transformed pretty well inside the stomach of the titan the first time. I would say his emotions got the best of him inside that well and prevented him from transforming...

"Were going to toss you into this well and if you get out of control were going to chop you into bits. You should survive from it....maybe..."

On the other side of things. The female titan has spotted her love interest and is pursuing with greater ferver...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 17:35   Link #45
yuzen003

Good point about the stomach transformation but there was also a delay that time (he had time to take in the scenery of the other bodies in there) so the transformation might be delayed if he is in a dark location?

I think the sunlight condition exists and will come into play. He is in the middle of a forest with limited sunlight and wants to transform to fight the female titan. The flashback to the well experiment makes more sense if it's forshadowing a impending failed transformation otherwise switching from a chase scene with scouting legion soldiers dying left and right to a extended flashback of an experiment from before they left somewhat kills the dramatic tension.
Old 2011-09-11, 22:08   Link #46
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Spoiler for 25:

Loving the female giant! She kicks ass!
Old 2011-09-13, 16:50   Link #47
haegar
mangaviking

complete vol5 is around
Old 2011-09-13, 17:13   Link #48
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

So are the giants used to be ordinary humans? Thats what I'm getting after one of the giants spoke.
Old 2011-09-13, 17:16   Link #49
haegar
mangaviking

guess it's a bit too early to tell yet... personnally, I am guessing yes, they are. but maybe not all giants used to be humans. maybe not all humans can end up becoming titans. it seems pretty clear that "titans" such as erin and the female are rather the exception. wonder what the latest volume will bring us on that. *begins read*
Old 2011-09-13, 22:04   Link #50
marvelB

Yeah, I'm guessing that the titans are former humans as well, or at least were originally created by humans. That still doesn't exactly explain why most of the ones we've seen weren't as intelligent as Erin or the female titan, though.....

Anyway, this was a good chapter. Contrary to some others, I actually like seeing chapters that focus on character development. I kinda hope that the entire scouting unit (or to be specific, the group Erin is hanging out with) doesn't get wiped out, though..... I think those guys still have a good amount of potential for the story.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 08:58   Link #51
yuzen003

The talking giant said Ymir's people and Ymir sama, in Norse Mythology Ymir was the founder of a race of giants and was killed by the Odin and his brothers so it's plausible the author is drawing from Norse mythology for his giant mythos. If the talking giant wasn't just a person driven insane from being turned into a titan the name Ymir has significance I suspect.
Old 2011-09-16, 09:12   Link #52
haegar
mangaviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuzen003 View Post
The talking giant said Ymir's people and Ymir sama, in Norse Mythology Ymir was the founder of a race of giants and was killed by the Odin and his brothers so it's plausible the author is drawing from Norse mythology for his giant mythos. If the talking giant wasn't just a person driven insane from being turned into a titan the name Ymir has significance I suspect.
interesting. if there is an analogy, wonder if there is two factions among the big guys, the descendants of ymir and maybe the descendants of his killer? too early to speculate but intersting background nontheless...
Old 2011-09-16, 23:37   Link #53
Saber024

@vansonbee, you here too? This is not a rom-com! Hehehe
Old 2011-09-17, 01:10   Link #54
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber024 View Post
@vansonbee, you here too? This is not a rom-com! Hehehe
This series has a unique premise and every chapter is intriguing, I only recommend it, if your into series like "Gantz", "Claymore", and "Berserk", yes, there is a lot of gory stuff, but not to the extend of "Gantz" (in detail).

I was actually into battle manga (Naruto, Bleach, Yugioh etc...) before 2011, I was later very serious about rom-com, when I finished reading "Ichigo 100%".
Old 2011-09-25, 10:57   Link #55
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

. .

Old 2011-09-27, 10:09   Link #56
ReddyRedWolf

When I heard Ymir's people from that Titan to doomed female scout I immediately thought Norse mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ymir
Quote:
Ymir, also called Aurgelmir (Old Norse gravel-yeller) among the giants themselves, was the founder of the race of frost giants and was later killed by the Borrs.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/y/ymir.html
Quote:
In Norse mythology, Ymir is the primordial giant and the progenitor of the race of frost giants. He was created from the melting ice of Niflheim, when it came in contact with the hot air from Muspell. From Ymir's sleeping body the first giants sprang forth: one of his legs fathered a son on his other leg while from under his armpit a man and women grew out.

The frost kept melting and from the drops the divine cow Audumla was created. From her udder flowed four rivers of milk, on which Ymir fed. The cow itself got nourishment by licking hoar frost and salt from the ice. On the evening on the first day the hair of a man appeared, on the second day the whole head and on the third day it became a man, Buri, the first god. His grandchildren are Odin, Ve and Vili.

Odin and his brothers had no liking for Ymir, nor for the growing number of giants, and killed him. In the huge amount of blood that flowed from Ymir's wounds all the giants, except two, drowned. From the slain body the brothers created heaven and earth. They used the flesh to fill the Ginnungagap; his blood to create the lakes and the seas; from his unbroken bones they made the mountains; the giant's teeth and the fragments of his shattered bones became rocks and boulders and stones; trees were made from his hair, and the clouds from his brains. Odin and his brothers raised Ymir's skull and made the sky from it and beneath its four corners they placed a dwarf. Finally, from Ymir's eyebrow they shaped Midgard, the realm of man. The maggots which swarmed in Ymir's flesh they gave wits and the shape of men, but they live under the hills and mountains. They are called dwarfs.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 01:31   Link #57
Gooral
Banned

SnK will get a movie adaptation (live action). It's not official yet but it seems it's only a formality. It's amazing how successful this young author (he's 25 years old) has become. 5 volumes have sold in over 5.5 million copies (data from August) and he will even have his movie. Wow. I like SnK very much but seeing how more successful it is than some greater mangas annoys me a bit (e.g. Desert Punk, Claymore or Dorohedoro have 1/10th attention or even 1/100th of what SnK has). I don't quite understand why it's so more popular than other awesome manga... Good for Isayama but not fair to others :P.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 10:57   Link #58
haegar
mangaviking

hmmm. live action? good for the mangaka but I think I would have much prefered a HQ anime OVA :/ Oh well, either way, gonna take some time, desu ne?!
Old 2011-09-29, 12:58   Link #59
Gooral
Banned

Good for manga too. SnK all over Japanese movie theaters means that many more people will know about this manga. And if the movie is successful there will definitely be anime produced (sooner than later, since manga is akready very popular).
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 14:00   Link #60
marvelB

Live-action movie, eh? I'd like to believe that, but...... well, last month there were some rumors about new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure movies being produced (one of them being animated) which were eventually debunked by Shueisha themselves. So you'll excuse me if I take this news with a grain of salt for the time being.....

....Though I gotta admit, the thought of seeing those titans (who look frightening enough as it is in the manga) in well-done CGI form is actually pretty enticing.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote