AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-15, 22:15   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Penguin Drum - Character Discussion - Takakura Himari

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Takakura Himari related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Mawaru Penguin Drum fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.
    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-09-18, 01:05   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's interesting how this thread has been getting no love at all yet, in spite of how the brothers and Ringo all have pretty active character threads so far.

Maybe Guardian Enzo is right about Himari being a bit of a cipher so far.

Ah, but there is one pressing question on Himari, and the answer to that question could change things here considerably:

Is Himari (normal mode) and the Penguin Queen one and the same? In other words, is the Penguin Queen an exterior existence (an alien, say) that's possessing the host Himari body, or is the Penguin Queen a persona that arises out of Himari?

If the answer is the latter, then that makes Himari's character much more interesting, imo.

So what do people here think on this question?

Is Himari and the Penguin Queen one and the same, or is the Penguin Queen an alien presence taking over the host Himari body?
Old 2011-09-18, 01:09   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm guessing that the Penguin Queen is a facet of Himari's existence rather than a distinct entity.
Old 2011-09-18, 01:17   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm guessing that the Penguin Queen is a facet of Himari's existence rather than a distinct entity.
That's what I think to. It's also what I'm hoping is true.

Because otherwise, yeah, Himari is a little too vanilla.
Old 2011-09-18, 05:03   Link #5
Spoonroo

I Think the Penguin Queen is a drawn out personality within herself.

Since the beginning of the Show, Himari has been very vanilla. As a child, though, she obviously wasn't - The Himari today doesn't seem capable of that whole argument she had with her mother about the ribbon right before the mirror fell.

It seems that we were shown that scene for reason - most likely because that was a turning point in her life. Maybe that was that point, feeling so bad over what she did to her mother, that she started suppressing everything under a vanilla mask, and the Penguin Queen is specifically the personality that she's been hiding underneath that mask?

The Penguin Queen does seem more in line with the outbursts she made over the ribbon. Both her and young Himari are quick to anger and order around (You go get the correct ribbon NOW! Tomorrow is too late!" - reminds me of how the Penguin Queen speaks to Shoma)

Just a bit of speculation.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:16   Link #6
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Is Himari (normal mode) and the Penguin Queen one and the same? In other words, is the Penguin Queen an exterior existence (an alien, say) that's possessing the host Himari body, or is the Penguin Queen a persona that arises out of Himari?

If the answer is the latter, then that makes Himari's character much more interesting, imo.

So what do people here think on this question?

Is Himari and the Penguin Queen one and the same, or is the Penguin Queen an alien presence taking over the host Himari body?
There's bound to be at least some truth in that, seeing as how the penguins have been a recurring element in her childhood and the story we've been presented with so far. It would be a real coincidence and very unlikely if the Penguin Queen turned out to be a completely separate entity who only happened to be bound to the hat Himari bought.

And the way Penguin Queen keeps mentioning to the two brothers how she's not their sister makes me think she's maybe, struggling for control over Himari's body and in fact is, their sister, more or less.

How the relation between Himari/Penguing Queen and Shouma/Kanba/Ringo ties in with that of Mario and Masako remains unclear right now. However, Mario looks a lot like Penguin Queen so my guess is that they're the same type of "creatures", i.e. possessed/brought back to life by the penguin hat, suggesting he is a person Masako loves, but unlike the two brothers, she seems to be fighting for her own destiny, much like Ringo. That's probably why her penguin manifestation is the evil Esmeralda while the blue penguins #1,#2 and #3 are supposed to be good.

I'm going off topic here but from what I said in the above paragraph I would guess that there is also some "penguin power", which doesn't quite fit the theory of Himari being the Penguin Queen. The answer is probably somewhere in between.
Old 2011-09-24, 00:59   Link #7
YayPepsi

Penguin Queen Himari was actually somewhat compassionate in this episode. At the very least, she let Ringo talk about her feelings rather than berating her. (Though maybe she remembers the hat snatching from last time so thought better of it. :P )
Old 2011-09-24, 15:55   Link #8
faburosumakusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
Penguin Queen Himari was actually somewhat compassionate in this episode. At the very least, she let Ringo talk about her feelings rather than berating her. (Though maybe she remembers the hat snatching from last time so thought better of it. :P )
Well I wouldn't really say compassionate. To me it almost seemes as if she was aware of the fact that she was putting Shouma in a really tight spot. This image particularly caught my attention:
Spoiler for episode 11:

Last edited by faburosumakusu; 2011-09-25 at 16:53.
Old 2011-09-30, 00:15   Link #9
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonroo View Post
I Think the Penguin Queen is a drawn out personality within herself.

Since the beginning of the Show, Himari has been very vanilla. As a child, though, she obviously wasn't - The Himari today doesn't seem capable of that whole argument she had with her mother about the ribbon right before the mirror fell.

It seems that we were shown that scene for reason - most likely because that was a turning point in her life. Maybe that was that point, feeling so bad over what she did to her mother, that she started suppressing everything under a vanilla mask, and the Penguin Queen is specifically the personality that she's been hiding underneath that mask?
i 100% agree. i really do think that the penguin queen is an extended, exaggerated personality of himari. it's himari uninhibited. i even look at the penguin queen's clothes and it's similar to the double h garb, but fancier and more elaborate.

i've also thought that himari's relationship with kanba isn't as one-sided as we think. there's a reason why she picked kanba in the first episode to pull that stuff out of. i also think episode 10, with the cafeteria scene, was himari looking for info for her own benefit.

just my own interpretation.
Old 2011-10-01, 06:08   Link #10
pessimistic_freak

Send a message via MSN to pessimistic_freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
i 100% agree. i really do think that the penguin queen is an extended, exaggerated personality of himari. it's himari uninhibited. i even look at the penguin queen's clothes and it's similar to the double h garb, but fancier and more elaborate.

i've also thought that himari's relationship with kanba isn't as one-sided as we think. there's a reason why she picked kanba in the first episode to pull that stuff out of. i also think episode 10, with the cafeteria scene, was himari looking for info for her own benefit.

just my own interpretation.
But remember, there's her saying in the first episode during the Seizon Senryaku scene, "I'm not your sister"

I personally think it's better to have Himari remained innocent in this relationship. For the reason why she picked Kanba, I think it was him who offered himself to her though we were not shown of it.
Old 2011-10-17, 21:50   Link #11
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Since PoC uses Himari's body, I guess I can post that here
Did anyone mentioned previously that PoC wears the same leotard and corset than DoubleH ?That's actually pretty obvious but only noticed it while paying closer attention to the ED sequence.
Either Himari somehow influences PoC outfit through her own will, which wouldn't be too odd given PoC uses Himari as her host/energy supply, or Double H were the ones to be originally influenced by PoC outfit. Meaning they had already met with her previous to the serie. At this point it seems unlikely but who knows .

Also finally noticed Double H names were homage to 2 of the most famous Japanese singers : Hikari Utada for Utada Hikaru and Hibari Isora for Hibari Misora.
14 weeks to realize something so obvious ''orz
Old 2011-10-17, 22:02   Link #12
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Since PoC uses Himari's body, I guess I can post that here
Did anyone mentioned previously that PoC wears the same leotard and corset than DoubleH ?That's actually pretty obvious but only noticed it while paying closer attention to the ED sequence.
I...kinda missed that for the first few episodes

My focuses were too much on the skins part, and the white panty, and the bourgeoisie walking style.And before that the corset fell off,and then that Kanba bastard kissed my Himari!!!!
Old 2011-10-17, 23:29   Link #13
YayPepsi

I noticed that in the first ED because they were dressing her. (It actually took me around 4 episodes to catch on to the fact that they were supposed to be the girls in the subway sign though. XD; ) I think that your idea that they met PoC first and she influenced their outfits would be pretty interesting.

It's kind of disturbing that a couple of 13 year old girls are such big idols and dressed up in clothes like that. But I guess that's not the most disturbing thing going on in Penguindrum land.
Old 2011-10-18, 15:57   Link #14
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
My focuses were too much on the skins part, and the white panty, and the bourgeoisie walking style.And before that the corset fell off,and then that Kanba bastard kissed my Himari!!!!
And now not only Kanba but Sanetoshi too are after Himari, better give up on her risingstar .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
It's kind of disturbing that a couple of 13 year old girls are such big idols and dressed up in clothes like that. But I guess that's not the most disturbing thing going on in Penguindrum land.
Actually Japan tends to have groups of young idols getting more and more popular, but yeah, not to such extend at such early age. Now is it a sign of a connection with the Hat/PoC or a way to make Himari more pitiful (she failed to be part to an insanely popular group because her parents were arrested/she got sick) ? Not sure which it is. Maybe both.

Also was browsing 4ch today, which I usually don't do because I'm not a fan of the display, and someone made an interesting comment about Himari:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon. 4chan /a/
Princess of the Crystal is an alternate personality of Himari. The hat is just a gimmick. If the brothers KNEW about Himari's dream of becoming an idol with Triple-H, they'd figure out the Survival Strategy show is a big idol stage for Himari. The light show, the song, the outfit, the IMAGIIIIIINE! and so on. The hat lets her be "alive", because the "real" her is just a walking corpse -- ie, dead. That's also the meaning behind Survival Strategy, it's exactly what it appears to mean, a survival strategy for Himari. Oh, and BTW, that's the meaning behind the imagery of Himari sleeping in a wonderland-themed bed.
I've said previously how I thought PoC was Momoka and I keep believing in this theory. However Anon. is right, in my opinion, about the survival strategy scene being something out of Himari's head. Her own dreamed stage.
The outfit we were discussing just now is one hint, but those two : , aren't they simply a sublimated versions of that little guy : .

The whole Survival Strategy looks like it's made out of Himari's unconscious mind elements but the rest (ordering, stripping, commanding, badmouthing etc) strikes me as being from PoC free will.
Something like Himari providing the setting, while PoC is in charge of the acting.

I wonder what would happen if anyone else was to try the Hat on...

Tags
characters