AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-19, 16:15   Link #1161
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
If Wintergrasp is any indication, you can buff the "Spartan" side up the wazoo till they have Raid-Boss stats, and they will STILL fall to the "Persian" side simply due to sheer raw numbers (also, good luck capturing objectives). CC-reduction is meaningless when the enemy side have enough people to literally rotate their stuns every second.

A gated system might be better where if one side starts to outnumber the other side by say... 10 players, the bigger team is locked in until the smaller team gets more members or players drop out of the bigger team.

Cheers.
It actually does work fairly well you simply have design your game around it. e.g several capture points spaced large amounts apart with only one person needed to capture them. because their so far apart it discourages a zerg since the other side could sinply capture all points that the zerg isn't in and mosey the hell on. Their buffing would make them more likely to beat whatever 3-6 party size party of players that comes to fight them (if their are enough capture points points), and increased speed buffs would counter swarming.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 17:16   Link #1162
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Hmm, it seemed like it set the Imperial players back a little distance wise from Republic areas, but that seems to only delay the inevitable due to the faction imbalance.
Well the patch notes say:

- Players can no longer enter the opposing faction’s safe base area, thus preventing players from continually "camping" the other faction's base.
- Turrets inside faction bases were not intended to be destroyed and are now immune to damage.

So they pretty much make it at least impossible fo the imps to enter the republic base and they get blasted by now indistructable turrets if they still try. At least there is no "base raping" anymore.

But yeah some kind of tenacity buff would also help.
Old 2012-01-19, 17:28   Link #1163
Nixl

I think there is 2 flaws with that.

First, the Imperials can still encircle the base, thus camping anyone who tries to leave base. Overall there is nothing they can do that can make the faction imbalance go away. All this change does is allow or Republic plays to escape Ilum, where as before the fix they couldn't escape at all. Furthermore, the system of bonus valor for objectives is still in to my knowledge and so the Imperials can still can wildly ahead in PVP ranks/gear.

Second, while the turrets may take no damage they can be hit with stun effects that knock the player out of the turret from what I am told. Has that been fixed?
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 18:09   Link #1164
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

thats the biggest thing I can see, all these imp scum who took advantage of the exploit, they all need their characters wiped.
Old 2012-01-19, 18:28   Link #1165
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
First, the Imperials can still encircle the base, thus camping anyone who tries to leave base.
This is why I said "base raping" wich makes the base a save spot.

Quote:
Second, while the turrets may take no damage they can be hit with stun effects that knock the player out of the turret from what I am told. Has that been fixed?
I don't know... I've never been on Illum so I thought they were autoturrets like the ones that were everywere at the faction bases on Aldaraan.
That they are for players is new to me.

Last edited by Kyral; 2012-01-19 at 18:49.
Kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 18:43   Link #1166
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
You know, WoW is a good game no doubt. Wouldn't have spend years on it if it wasn't.
But sadly it offers me nothing anymore, with Deathwing the last old WarCraft character I liked died.
Now there there are non left I care about (except my own). The WarCraft Universe feels empty now.
There's actually a lot... And the irony is just THICK with Pandaria. I mean, we've kicked daemons back into the void, we've taken out the biggest baddie in the Frozen Wastes, then stopped the planet from being blown up. We've impressed the Titan's creations so much they decided to be mortal as well! Azeroth has proven to be the New Hope in the fight against the Burning Legion of Sagaras.

Then, what do we do in Mists? We promptly go to war with one another. Epic Titan Facepalm? Or is this the machinations of the Legion once more?

And then, back in the old TK Botanica, we met a being which declared war upon the Azeroth/Draenor star system. Sooner, rather than later, we will be burning xenos and purging daemons in Warcraft, once more.

So there's lots to do in the next few expansions. We might even get personal flying castles which shoot spells, and so we can undertake danmaku missions in space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
^not to mention their pulling out pandarans from the joke box and making them real.
Anita loved pandas, and pokemon battles. That alone has warmed my heart more than any phat lewt I've picked up over my entire WoW career.

Whereas I've failed to even interest her in SWTOR.
Old 2012-01-19, 18:44   Link #1167
Nixl

Kyral, you are right in that there is a safe spot at least. However, if not basing raping it is base humping as the Imperials will just scour the entrances for victims. It is a tricky situation. I think Bioware's first course of action should have been to remove the bonus valor for now. Otherwise the end result is still republic being farmed and Imperials racking up valor like it is about to go out of style.

All in all, I think Republic players are just going to avoid Ilum all together. If they cannot step into the zone without getting farmed and not earn a single point, players will just go the battlegrounds instead of Ilum.
Old 2012-01-19, 18:48   Link #1168
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
edit: Keroko, which story do you like the most so far? the least?
Hmm, haven't played all classes long enough to say this with full certainty, but the warrior story so far I find the best. The power, the goals, the betrayals and that goddamn sexy voice. I love it.

The story I like the least would be the trooper story. It just... feels so generic. Like I'm playing a Call of Duty. There's really little going in that makes it feel like a star wars story. I'm not sure how to improve it, but that's the feeling I get.

Quote:
^not to mention their pulling out pandarans from the joke box and making them real.
They were always real. Denial won't stop that.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 18:50   Link #1169
Xacual

Quote:
thats the biggest thing I can see, all these imp scum who took advantage of the exploit, they all need their characters wiped.
How is it an exploit? Just because Bioware deemed it one after the fact doesn't mean it was one when it happened. They fucked up and put points for killing players with no regard to the fact that one faction severely outnumbers the other so of course that faction is going to roll the other faction into oblivion and keep rolling them to get points. Believing Bioware calling it an exploit is pretty stupid.

Also by the way, Pandarens have been part of Warcraft lore since Warcraft 3. They just hadn't appeared in WoW yet.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 18:51   Link #1170
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ Huh, Several sources I've looked up and people I've chatted to had said the pandarans were a joke race from blizzard. ((Apparently they were bull shitting))

So I guess you joined in the camping? Exploiting or not, its deeply unfair to take part of that.
Old 2012-01-19, 18:52   Link #1171
Nixl

Interesting, have you tried Imperial Agent yet? That is the one story I generally heard people enjoying. I mostly hear people bitch about the Jedi Sage, Jedi Knight, and the Smuggler stories.

I just wish they went a tad farther with the Sith Warrior in terms of story. They have elements of cruelty and betrayal, but not the suffering endured for power, which is made Darth Sion badass. If only, *sigh*

Quote:
^ Huh, Several sources I've looked up and people I've chatted to had said the pandarans were a joke race from blizzard.

So I guess you joined in the camping? Exploiting or not, its deeply unfair to take part of that.
Yes and no, in Warcraft 3 during the 2nd mission of the Scourge campaign there is a hidden waterfall you have to cut trees down just to see. Once you reach it you see a Pandaren that quickly walks off screen. Also there is a image flicker of a Pandaren in Samurai clothing with a Pandalette on its shoulders, which caught flak because it put a Chinese national animal in Japanese clothing.

In Warcraft The Frozen Throne bonus campaign for with Rexxar a Pandaren Brewmaster name Chen Stormstout joins your team.

In World of Warcraft before Cataclysm you could find a empty brew keg in the Barrens owned by Chen and bring it to one of his disciples.

The worst part of it all is that I know this from memory, even the obscure Barren's quest. If I did not have a girlfriend this would be the part where I declare myself a wizard.

As for those who abused it, it sucks, but without a roll back of the servers to undo the valor gain there is virtually nothing Bioware can do. While they did abuse it I would not technically call it an exploit. It was an intended mechanic (bonus valor) that did not take into account the massive faction imbalance. Whether the Imperials can enter the Republic base or not would not have changed the amount of rep they were getting.
Old 2012-01-19, 19:02   Link #1172
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
^ Huh, Several sources I've looked up and people I've chatted to had said the pandarans were a joke race from blizzard. ((Apparently they were bull shitting))
They were. As most whiners are. They probably never played Warcraft III, and just went "OMGKUNGFUPANDARAAAAAAAGE!" out of knee-jerk reflex.

Pandarans have been the most requested race since launch. Every single expansion, the pandaren scored highest in the polls for "new race."

Quote:
Interesting, have you tried Imperial Agent yet? That is the one story I generally heard people enjoying. I mostly hear people bitch about the Jedi Sage, Jedi Knight, and the Smuggler stories.

I just wish they went a tad farther with the Sith Warrior in terms of story. They have elements of cruelty and betrayal, but not the suffering endured for power, which is made Darth Sion badass. If only, *sigh*
I think the suffering is more part of the knight storyline. Not sure about that though. As for the agent, I do have one, but he's a bit stuck at 25-ish right now with me wondering if I want to continue my operative or re-roll sniper.
Old 2012-01-19, 19:03   Link #1173
Xacual

Quote:
No, as mentioned before I couldn't run the game so I didn't bother getting it. I can at least recognize company rhetoric though because that seems to be all anyone can get from Bioware when major issues come up. "Call it an exploit and call it a day our loyal followers will trash talk anyone that says differently."

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 19:03   Link #1174
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Even more than worgen? hehe..

Knight apparently gets better after act 1, or during the end of act 1.

yes It's mostly bioware's fault, but any decent person would reconize that this is not fair and pretty much exploiting something, instead now we have people with 0 knowledge of PVP with super dooper bad ass PVP gear with little to NO effort.
Old 2012-01-19, 19:19   Link #1175
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

I think the suffering is more part of the knight storyline. Not sure about that though. As for the agent, I do have one, but he's a bit stuck at 25-ish right now with me wondering if I want to continue my operative or re-roll sniper.
*grumbles* Jedi Knight story. *grumble*

This may be premature, but how is Bioware going to handle expansions? I guess I had this notion that, like WoW, Bioware would add new classes, but now that I think of it, such a task would be awkward. They would have to create class quests just to make it fit. I can see them adding new species, but unless Bioware makse a Death Knight like class that starts at near max level I kind doubt TOR will see new classes. That is not to say that new classes in an expansion are required, but I admit new classes are class system revamps always got me excited for WoW expansions.
Old 2012-01-19, 19:31   Link #1176
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

New class stories would certainly be a challenge, but not impossible. A new origin world, a new story, the hardest part would be ingraining the story on the shared planets and creating phases there.

Though the easier route is to continue the class stories of the existing classes. Making new planets and have the story continue there.
Old 2012-01-19, 19:37   Link #1177
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
New class stories would certainly be a challenge, but not impossible. A new origin world, a new story, the hardest part would be ingraining the story on the shared planets and creating phases there.

Though the easier route is to continue the class stories of the existing classes. Making new planets and have the story continue there.
That is what I was thinking, they can easily make additional stories for existing classes, but a new class would require both stories made for vanilla content and expansion content. Unless, they go the Death Knight route and have the the class start as a high level character that could would just have an expansion class story. Then again, I do not know what classes they could possibly add into TOR. They seem to have most Star Wars archetypes already covered. I was personally surprised they made Sith Assasin and Jedi Sentinel part class specs and not full classes (at least saved for later).

Edit:
Now this is something I also wish Bioware would get on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTaW...ature=youtu.be

This is the third video that I have seen people trading kills for easy valor. It is ridiculous.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-01-19 at 19:50.
Old 2012-01-19, 19:55   Link #1178
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You can't change that though. Not without taking valor for kills out of the system altogether, in which case that type of players will just trade whatever other objective grants valor.
Old 2012-01-19, 19:57   Link #1179
Nixl

Couldn't they do diminishing kill rewards?

It is not a perfect solution I am sure, but what else is there?
Old 2012-01-19, 20:05   Link #1180
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Diminishing returns on kills would screw over the casual player who's looking for a good time, as well as the skilled player who's trying to get his kills the proper way.

The lamers, meanwhile, will simply find another way to easily farm their stuff.

Lamers gonna lame.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows