AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-02-24, 21:05   Link #1
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Top ten worst controllers. 'by IGN'

Just saw this article on IGN a couple of hours ago and I though it was actually kinda funny.

Putting the X-Box one aside, (because it's actually pretty common and not that bad if you ask me) has anyone here actually owned/used one of these controllers?

I personally owned number 10 (the 5200 Controller), and like the article mentions, it sure as hell sucked. Then again, eventhough I have been into gaming for a long while, must admit to never have seen or heard about controllers # 8 & 6.

Look at it, just look at it.
Old 2006-02-24, 22:04   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
Just saw this article on IGN a couple of hours ago and I though it was actually kinda funny.

Putting the X-Box one aside, (because it's actually pretty common and not that bad if you ask me) has anyone here actually owned/used one of these controllers?

I personally owned number 10 (the 5200 Controller), and like the article mentions, it sure as hell sucked. Then again, eventhough I have been into gaming for a long while, must admit to never have seen or heard about controllers # 8 & 6.
I think tried the sega activator in a store demo. Other than that, no.

I disagree with the x-box controller being there though. Sure it's fat and a holding it is awkward, but it isn't that bad... maybe the tenth worst, but second?

Of course there's no way anything can top guilty gear x played with ddr pads. Truly the ultimate controller.
Old 2006-02-25, 05:22   Link #3
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Have to agree, the fat X-Box one isn't that bad, especially compared to the rest of the list.

My favourite part of the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN on the CDI controller
But at least the system had Zelda!
Which are widely considered to be constructed using satanic methods or worse God what I've seen, they got some 6 year olds to draw and animate the things!
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 06:19   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

First generation XboX controller sucked...it was a HUGE reason behind me never getting it...I place gameplay a high priority over graphics at times...And when i played my roomate in XBOX when he first got it I was like "How bout we play with 2 anvils...it would lighter..." I played several times with it and still hated it...Even the newer XBOX controls that are smaller and more sleak they still suck for certain games...I mean how in the hell can I pitch the ball in College 2006 with the ignorant-a$$ black and white buttons when I need to use my finger for speed burst too?? So I'm using a pinky now...Pinky's weren't made for gameplay friends...Xbox controller is still pretty low on my radar...PS2 controllers are just so perfect to me, sorry...

I disagree with the powerglove though...if you had a powerglove back in the day you were the $hit dude...Power-pad and Powerglove kicked-a$$ to me...
Old 2006-02-26, 00:58   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Of course there's no way anything can top guilty gear x played with ddr pads. Truly the ultimate controller.
Never tried this, but it sure sounds fun.

Anyway, now that I think about it some more, there was this square-shaped gun-like controller for the Atari 2600 that you could only use on a single game. The thing was a pain to use and looked as ugly as anything on that IGN list.

I just can't believe I forgot the name of that thing. Hope I can find a pic to show later on.
Old 2006-02-26, 20:51   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
Never tried this, but it sure sounds fun.
Yup, it's fun, and a great way to give new life to old games. Just don't expect to play anywhere close to your level with a normal controller.
Old 2006-02-27, 11:23   Link #7
RX79GMCustom
Grumpy Bear

the 1st gen x-box controller was good. maybe because i have big hands.
on a different note i would vote for the saturns 2nd gen controller as one of the best 2d controllers.
RX79GMCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 20:39   Link #8
Roughy
-?-

Xbox controller is great. Tried the S-Controller and urk...small >_<
Roughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 00:51   Link #9
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Funny thing is I've never used any of those controllers. I guess I can consider myself lucky, but I did get a big laugh out of that article. And that Spiderman Joystick. Just look at it.
Old 2006-03-04, 09:18   Link #10
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

It could be worse. Imagine if Spidey's head were upside down on that controller.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 18:06   Link #11
Archuka
A territory most absolute

The original X-box controller wasn't bad at all. Sure, reaching the black and white buttons required you to move your hand, but they weren't used much anyway. Also, the analog sticks completely owned the PS2 mushrooms. Just try playing Halo on X-box and then Quake 2 on PS2 and you'll notice a huge difference.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 18:19   Link #12
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I owned #9, and it said you wouldn't get blisters or calluses on the product's box. It ended up PEELING the skin offa my thumb.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 20:04   Link #13
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Personally I find the X360 controller to suck even worse than the Fat Xbox controller.
On the other hand I love my PS1 and PS2 controllers.
Old 2006-03-04, 22:17   Link #14
TerryMathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
The original X-box controller wasn't bad at all. Sure, reaching the black and white buttons required you to move your hand, but they weren't used much anyway. Also, the analog sticks completely owned the PS2 mushrooms. Just try playing Halo on X-box and then Quake 2 on PS2 and you'll notice a huge difference.
Not for all of us. The Xbox fat controller is really the only controller I've been comfortable holding.

I don't know why everybody knocks Microsoft for having a controller that's too big for some people, but nobody ever knocks Sony or Nintendo for having controllers that are too small. At least Microsoft gave us a choice.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 23:13   Link #15
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^The only reason Microsoft recalled the design and downsized because they knew it sucked (Not to mention they were getting complaints out the ying-yang)...IMO they still do suck to a degree...The true test to find out if it sucks is to invite different people over to play and watch how many of them will try and change the settings to playstation (Just to have a chance)...I get it...I guess if I was an XboX owner I'd be defending that weak-stick too...
Old 2006-03-04, 23:58   Link #16
TerryMathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
^The only reason Microsoft recalled the design and downsized because they knew it sucked (Not to mention they were getting complaints out the ying-yang)...IMO they still do suck to a degree...The true test to find out if it sucks is to invite different people over to play and watch how many of them will try and change the settings to playstation (Just to have a chance)...I get it...I guess if I was an XboX owner I'd be defending that weak-stick too...
Recalled huh? Wow, you must really know your stuff. I mean, it's not like Microsoft wasn't selling the original controller as an accessory long after the introduction of the Type S, or anything...

Did Microsoft miss their target audience when they made the original controller large? Maybe. Does that make it a bad controller? No. Am I fanboy? Nope, just got big hands.

If I can bump my thumbs together while using the analog sticks on the PS2 controller, it's too small. Now that Logitech Action Wireless controller, that's a nice one.
Old 2006-03-05, 00:05   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^My hands are big too...But just because I have big-hands doesn't mean I wanna play video games with an anchor^^....Also I just don't like the ergonomics...With the black and white button being a gameplay travesty...(But I guess If I owned an XboX I'd learn to deal *shrugs* )
Old 2006-03-05, 00:08   Link #18
TerryMathews

Quote:
^My hands are big too...But just because I have big-hands doesn't mean I wanna play video games with an anchor^^....I just don't like the ergonomics...With the black and white button being a gameplay travesty...(But I guess If I owned an XboX I'd learn to deal *shrugs* )
I love how you keep throwing that out like it's an insult. Yes, I own an Xbox. I also own:

Nintendo:
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
DS
Virtual Boy

Sega:
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast

SNK:
4 slot Neo-Geo cabinet
consolized MVS motherboard

Sony:
PSone + LCD
PS2
PSP

MS:
Xbox

And enough accessories to fill a dresser and the top of a shelf. I am the last person on the planet you should be calling a fanboy.
Old 2006-03-05, 00:15   Link #19
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Dude calm down...Never said you were a fanboy...But if you like the thing, you obviously are gonna defend it...I'm just doing the opposite with a little light humour OK...

Accept for the XboX and newer Nintendo systems I've owned everything you've said...But I do play alot of Xbox at my cousin's house and when we play College football i have to play with a passing team and abandon my option game cause the b&W buttons suck...Also any other game we play I always find myself changing the settings to fit as close to playstation as possible because when I try to play with Xbox settings (And I've tried hard), most times it just isn't great to me...So dig what you dig, but don't act like I'm the first person in history to diss that controller...Jesus it made #2 on the list of worst controller ever (That's gotta say something to you)...
Old 2006-03-05, 00:22   Link #20
TerryMathews

Quote:
Dude calm down...Never said you were a fanboy...But if you like the thing, you obviously are gonna defend it...I'm just doing the opposite with a little light humour OK...

Accept for the XboX and newer Nintendo systems I've owned everything you've said...But I do play alot of Xbox at my cousin's house and when we play College football i have to play with a passing team and abandon my option game cause the b&W buttons suck...Also any other game we play I always find myself changing the settings to fit as close to playstation as possible because when I try to play with Xbox settings (And I've tried hard), most times it just isn't great to me...So dig what you dig, but don't act like I'm the first person in history to diss that controller...Jesus it made #2 on the list of worst controller ever (That's gotta say something to you)...
Okay, your hands can't reach the white/black buttons. I get it. Mine can, was all I was saying.

I'm not defending the controller. All I did was give props to Microsoft for giving consumers an option. Hell of a lot more than anything Sony's ever done.