AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-12, 11:46   Link #41
kobester11

A1 sure loves sunday huh? I thought it's gonna be manglobe...

This is only 11 episodes?!
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:54   Link #42
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic given A-1's recent track record with adaptations.
Old 2013-04-12, 11:57   Link #43
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Dear lord, A-1 should not be trusted with a shonen manga after Magi. gg
Agreed.

Another one more of my favorite mangas that will be destroyed by A-1....great....

Last edited by leokiko; 2013-04-12 at 12:11.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 12:16   Link #44
Jetzero Infinity

While Blue Exorcist should have been enough of a clue, A1 isn't really suited to shonen stuff, Magi spelled it out pretty clearly so I'm worried about how they'll do this. Especially since given how Aniplex tends to do things, they may blow though almost all the available source material in 11 episodes and it certainly is possible with how they did Magi...

At least the staff list is decent though even with a good writer on board the fact that the SAO guy is directing it(which I couldn't even get all the way through because of how terrible ep 14 was) I'm even more worried...
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:23   Link #45
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Dear lord, A-1 should not be trusted with a shonen manga after Magi. gg

In before "it's the staff that matters."
You do realize that Magi's head writer(for the anime) was also the same guy that made Guilty Crown so much a trainwreck. So yeah, I blame Yoshino for that not A-1.

I liked Occult Academy so I am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully I'll get to ask Itou about Silver Spoon when he does a panel at Anime Boston this year.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:39   Link #46
Jetzero Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
You do realize that Magi's head writer(for the anime) was also the same guy that made Guilty Crown so much a trainwreck. So yeah, I blame Yoshino for that not A-1.

I liked Occult Academy so I am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully I'll get to ask Itou about Silver Spoon when he does a panel at Anime Boston this year.
Blue Exorcist got screwed up too ya know. Sure that was mostly because it got animated way too soon, but given that it's pretty much the same deal here...yeah...
Old 2013-04-12, 14:07   Link #47
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post

So why didn't Yoshino screw up the Accel World adaption? Other staff matters too, they can reign in mediocre staff members.

But A-1's failures aren't limited to Magi, their work on SAO for example was also quite mediocre. They like to burn through TONS of source material at the expense of logical pacing and transitioning.

There are A-1 shows I've liked (Shinsekai Yori is great), but their more shonen/action oriented shows have been shoddy.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 15:08   Link #48
kyouray
2D > 3D

Tetsuwan Birdy Decode isn't that old.
I only read the first volume but Silver Spoon isn't action oriented so I don't see the problem. Plus I don't think A-1 Pictures means shitty adaptation : Magi's adaptation may be laughable meanwhile Space Bros is wonderful.
The staff looks solid to me : we have a great animator as designer & good writer. I have some doubts after watching SAO but the director still is a competent guy to my mind. And it's still better than Gonzo
Old 2013-04-12, 15:47   Link #49
Cloudenvy

A-1 and the SAO director? This makes me die a little inside.

Last edited by Cloudenvy; 2013-04-12 at 16:53.
Cloudenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 17:23   Link #50
Kirarakim

Silver Spoon is shounen but it definitely is not action oriented.
Old 2013-04-12, 19:46   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, this is a sort of seinen dressed in shounen clothes so that stylistic aspect doesn't worry me too much. A-1 has a good team on this one - I really don't think this adaptation is going to be a screwup.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 21:57   Link #52
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I'm not concerned with the staff at all. I'm really happy to see Kotomi Deai land the gig of assistant director here. I've been a fan of her work for some time, and I've always been hoping she could direct a show of her own some day. Not quite there yet, but almost! She has contributed to shows like Michiko and Hatchin, Kids on the Slope, and most recently My Little Monster, as a unit director, and I'm glad there's a female perspective in the core staff for this show.

The writer Taku Kishimoto is also a really interesting choice because he's very new player in the anime industry. Bunny Drop was the first series he ever wrote, and based on the interviews in the BD/DVD release, his perspective on approaching adaptations is going to be a really good match for something like Silver Spoon which is more character-centric than event-centic.

The only thing I'm not too pleased with is the fact that it looks like a one season noitaminA show. 11-12 episodes isn't going to fully satisfy me considering how much manga content there is out there. More... I want... more.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 07:11   Link #53
Jetzero Infinity

Frankly it's not the staff I'm worried about. It's that some Aniplex bigwig is going to make the brilliant decision of requesting that they blow through most of the manga material in 1-cour. I know I'm probably just being paranoid but after getting burned by A-1 twice in a row, I'm going to remain cautious.
Old 2013-04-13, 08:49   Link #54
Dop
Mmmm....

Yeah. This is not an action show. This is as far away from Arakawa's best known work (FMA) as you can possibly get.
From what i've seen of the manga, it's a comic slice of life show about a townie guy who goes to an agricultural school and is rapidly out of his depth.

Kishimoto did a good job, I think, of the Bunny Drop adaptation (which stopped before the timeskip and associated controversy) so I'm totally looking forward to this show.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 12:52   Link #55
Westlo
Lets be reality

Taku Kishimoto did a stellar job with Bunny Drop and this should be right up his alley seeing how well he did with that..

And this is a completely different manga to Magi, you're better off comparing this to Space Brothers....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:39   Link #56
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetzero Infinity View Post
Frankly it's not the staff I'm worried about. It's that some Aniplex bigwig is going to make the brilliant decision of requesting that they blow through most of the manga material in 1-cour. I know I'm probably just being paranoid but after getting burned by A-1 twice in a row, I'm going to remain cautious.
This is exactly my worry. Honestly people got too focused on my point about the content. A-1 + Aniplex is just not a trust worthy partnership at the moment. Aniplex is quickly becoming the activision of anime.
Old 2013-04-13, 14:03   Link #57
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
This is exactly my worry. Honestly people got too focused on my point about the content. A-1 + Aniplex is just not a trust worthy partnership at the moment. Aniplex is quickly becoming the activision of anime.
Do Shin Sekai Yori, Space Brothers, AnoHana and Tsuritama no longer exist because Magi and SAO were victims of bad adaptations? (though SAO is still lol regardless).

A-1 has massive output, it's easy to be selective, you have to look @ it on a case by case basis and yes staff and content matter.

And to your (and Jetz) actual point about an Aniplex bigwig making a call to blow through the material, that call could be made no matter what studio was hired by Aniplex to do the show.
Old 2013-04-13, 14:50   Link #58
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Do Shin Sekai Yori, Space Brothers, AnoHana and Tsuritama no longer exist because Magi and SAO were victims of bad adaptations? (though SAO is still lol regardless).

A-1 has massive output, it's easy to be selective, you have to look @ it on a case by case basis and yes staff and content matter.

And to your (and Jetz) actual point about an Aniplex bigwig making a call to blow through the material, that call could be made no matter what studio was hired by Aniplex to do the show.
I think even you would have to admit that Aniplex shares a unique relationship with A-1 (Not quite Bandai and surnise levels, but you get the picture).

And first of all, Ano Hana and Tsuritama were not adaptions. Shinsekai Yori is a miracle as far as I am concerned, and Space Brothers shouldn't even be talked about here because it received plenty of episodes to adapt all its content. I can't say the same here, so not comparable.
Old 2013-04-13, 15:08   Link #59
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I think even you would have to admit that Aniplex shares a unique relationship with A-1 (Not quite Bandai and surnise levels, but you get the picture).
Their relationship is exactly the same, A-1 is owned by Aniplex/Sony as is Sunrise by Bandai Namco.

Quote:
And first of all, Ano Hana and Tsuritama were not adaptions. Shinsekai Yori is a miracle as far as I am concerned, and Space Brothers shouldn't even be talked about here because it received plenty of episodes to adapt all its content. I can't say the same here, so not comparable.
I brought up Ano Hana and Tsuritama because you're shitting on the A-1/Aniplex works, saying "A-1 + Aniplex is just not a trust worthy partnership at the moment". You weren't just talking about adaptions at that point.

Though I guess why should I even bring up well done adaptations by them if you want to dismiss them. I guess Kannagi and the 2 seasons of Big Windup (actually have no idea how well this was done but considering I don't see manga fans shitting on it it must be alright) are too old to count right?

And Space Brothers too long so of course it was well done? Lol I submit Fairy Tail.

So to surmise.

Well done adaptions

Kannagi, SSY, Space Brothers, Big Windup 1 + 2

Poor

Magi, Fairy Tail, SAO, Black Butler 1+2 (unlike big windup fans I saw a lot of pissed off fans for this one)

50/50 split

Staff matters, the director did shit with SAO but he also worked with Hosada on Tokikake as the assistant director, the writer put out the equivalent of a rookie of the year season with Bunny Drop, lets see if he can beat the sophomore slump.
Old 2013-04-13, 15:31   Link #60
Haiprbim
Banned

Could someone share the age of the main protagonist (Yugo) and main female character (Aki)?
Thanks in front!
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agriculture, comedy