AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-28, 15:19   Link #2621
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool On The Hill View Post
1. What was the deal with Mao in ep 25? I don't understand why his cat instincts kicked in and he ran away from Hei and Yin. But it seems he was back to his normal self in season 2 since he was with Hei in Siberia. And then they killed him in a matter of seconds...is that correct?
2. The whole dream sequence that occurred after Amber touched Hei with the fragment is beyond me. I understand the concept - Hei had to choose between his human/contractor nature, etc...but...what...exactly...happened?

If someone could help me out with the above two questions, I'd really appreciate it

I have to say, I don't love how this series leaves virtually everything unresolved. It's one thing to have an open-to-interpretation ending or a shroud of mystery throughout a series, but I feel like the writers of DTB were just like, "Let's go ahead and make this as vague as humanly possible and not explain a single thing, ever....ever....ever." That being said though, I really do enjoy the series. It's just a minor criticism.
Old question's old but might as well.

Contractors think rational, so you could say his cat instincts told him something like "it will get dangerous, let's be safe and run away".
I guess that if he acted on emotional basis, then he might've gone with Hei due to being 'a friend'.
And he didn't get killed.
You basically summed it up yourself. As for falling into the black hole and getting pulled out by Yin, now THAT is hard to interpret. lol

Also I totally agree with the end being very open. The OVA doesn't answer much either and the end of the second season also didn't end in a very completed manner.
Dunno if it's likely, but I wouldn't mind a third season anyway.
Old 2010-03-01, 04:56   Link #2622
TyG3R

It bothers me..

What was the relationship between Amber and Hei in the past , lovers ?
Old 2010-03-01, 09:54   Link #2623
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

They weren't lovers, but almost. Heavens gate and Bai disappeared before they could profess to one another.

Hei, Bai, and Amber worked together. Hei was devoted to his sister and tagged along as her body guard when she went on mission. Amber and Bai were paired up. Amber started off as a cold bitch like every contractor. Over time, Hei broke the icy ways of Bai and Amber. Bai and Amber became friends. Amber and Hei grew close. Hei was devoted to his sister, though. Bai got in the way of their relationship. Amber even mentioned that Hei and Bai were creepy. Bai = ****block.

One day, Bai and Amber go behind his back and decide to steal Heaven's gate. Hei is pissed and thinks Amber tricked her into doing it. Hei becomes really jaded 'cause he believes the woman he loved, killed his beloved sister.

They never consummated. They never even kissed. He has the box of chocolates, the flowers, and is about to profess his love for her when he walks in on Amber and his sister carrying out a mini apocalypse in which his sister vanishes. Amber is like, "Hei, are those for me? Wait, it's not what you think...." KABOOM. Heaven's gate is gone. Amber and Bai disappear. Hei is pissed off and curses the name of that woman.
Old 2010-03-01, 11:45   Link #2624
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
They weren't lovers, but almost. Heavens gate and Bai disappeared before they could profess to one another.

Hei, Bai, and Amber worked together. Hei was devoted to his sister and tagged along as her body guard when she went on mission. Amber and Bai were paired up. Amber started off as a cold bitch like every contractor. Over time, Hei broke the icy ways of Bai and Amber. Bai and Amber became friends. Amber and Hei grew close. Hei was devoted to his sister, though. Bai got in the way of their relationship. Amber even mentioned that Hei and Bai were creepy. Bai = ****block.

One day, Bai and Amber go behind his back and decide to steal Heaven's gate. Hei is pissed and thinks Amber tricked her into doing it. Hei becomes really jaded 'cause he believes the woman he loved, killed his beloved sister.

They never consummated. They never even kissed. He has the box of chocolates, the flowers, and is about to profess his love for her when he walks in on Amber and his sister carrying out a mini apocalypse in which his sister vanishes. Amber is like, "Hei, are those for me? Wait, it's not what you think...." KABOOM. Heaven's gate is gone. Amber and Bai disappear. Hei is pissed off and curses the name of that woman.
What is the source?
Old 2010-03-02, 19:12   Link #2625
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:

What the hell? It was more along the lines of Amber, Bai, and Hei were comrades, in a squad of mercenaries/contractors in South America for the Heaven's War. I'm sure that Hei had feelings for Amber (just friends, I would say), but they weren't going to confess or anything like that. It was more one sided for Amber falling in love with Hei.

Bai was the main conspirer, and Amber was following her. I don't know where you got that flowers and chocolates, because as far as I know, nothing like that happened. Hei never knew about his sister's motives, nor that she was working with Amber. So when she died, and He and Amber are the only ones alive (not to mention she doesn't tell him the truth) he thinks she killed his sister.
Old 2010-03-04, 06:21   Link #2626
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
What the hell? It was more along the lines of Amber, Bai, and Hei were comrades, in a squad of mercenaries/contractors in South America for the Heaven's War. I'm sure that Hei had feelings for Amber (just friends, I would say), but they weren't going to confess or anything like that. It was more one sided for Amber falling in love with Hei.

Bai was the main conspirer, and Amber was following her. I don't know where you got that flowers and chocolates, because as far as I know, nothing like that happened. Hei never knew about his sister's motives, nor that she was working with Amber. So when she died, and He and Amber are the only ones alive (not to mention she doesn't tell him the truth) he thinks she killed his sister.

You got it right, for the most part. I'm just stating what's implied. Hei is really, really ( I mean REALLY) hung up on Amber. Hei is a pretty mellow guy but just the whisper of her name gets him REALLY pissed off, makes him even break cover/character.

There was some emotional attachment on both sides. It was never consummated. Before anything could happen, Bai and Amber pull something big. Bai is presumed dead. Hei blames Amber and grows extremely BITTER.

Amber kind of implies this. Hei's actions in the OVA kind of imply Hei's own attachment. He's easily manipulated by an illusion of her. He breaks cover, screws up.
Old 2010-03-04, 10:20   Link #2627
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Hei's actions in the OVA kind of imply Hei's own attachment. He's easily manipulated by an illusion of her. He breaks cover, screws up.
Well, seeing a dead person in front of you is kinda a shock in general, so I don't know how accurate that is.
Old 2010-03-04, 18:21   Link #2628
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
You got it right, for the most part. I'm just stating what's implied. Hei is really, really ( I mean REALLY) hung up on Amber. Hei is a pretty mellow guy but just the whisper of her name gets him REALLY pissed off, makes him even break cover/character.

There was some emotional attachment on both sides. It was never consummated. Before anything could happen, Bai and Amber pull something big. Bai is presumed dead. Hei blames Amber and grows extremely BITTER.

Amber kind of implies this. Hei's actions in the OVA kind of imply Hei's own attachment. He's easily manipulated by an illusion of her. He breaks cover, screws up.
I'm also thinking that Hei is just surprised that someone who looks very similar to Amber, who acts very similar to her also, and they happen to meet (1 in a million chance?). He doesn't break his cover, and he doesn't necessarily screw up. How would he possibly know that she was a contractor and they had other contractors there hunting him as well on just intuition?
Old 2010-03-19, 09:31   Link #2629
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I think their squad consisted of 4 people, Hei, Bai, Amber and Havoc.
Old 2010-03-19, 14:16   Link #2630
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

I forgot about Havoc. She's only in 2 self contained episodes and she's kind of never mentioned again. She's never brought up again in the series, I believe.

Hei did screw up, he even beats himself up about it. He sees Amber and instead of getting suspicious, he lets his guard down and lets his wishfulness get in the way of common sense, given his "situation." Yin perceived it was a trap from the start and even tried to warn him, but he became enamored with the idea that the illusion was Amber returning to him. He's on the run, hunted by the syndicate, and instead of being skeptical, he lets himself get manipulated.
Old 2010-03-19, 14:31   Link #2631
Seihai
スマイリウム

In short, Hei was intended to fall into confusion until he realized that person resembling Amber itself was an illusion.
It was just a matter of time till he found out about the trick, but as a fact the contractor had plenty options on snatching the loli till then.
Old 2010-03-19, 20:06   Link #2632
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
I forgot about Havoc. She's only in 2 self contained episodes and she's kind of never mentioned again. She's never brought up again in the series, I believe.

Hei did screw up, he even beats himself up about it. He sees Amber and instead of getting suspicious, he lets his guard down and lets his wishfulness get in the way of common sense, given his "situation." Yin perceived it was a trap from the start and even tried to warn him, but he became enamored with the idea that the illusion was Amber returning to him. He's on the run, hunted by the syndicate, and instead of being skeptical, he lets himself get manipulated.
Seeing a person that close in resemblance is still a shocking experience. The odds of ever finding someone looking that similar to Amber is about 1 in a million. It's understandable that he could be manipulated like so, he is still a human.
Old 2010-03-27, 22:34   Link #2633
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, i just started this series. why does it kill off characters so fast? its so tragic. yeah, they're minor characters, but each of them have their own unique story.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-03-28, 21:43   Link #2634
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
well, i just started this series. why does it kill off characters so fast? its so tragic. yeah, they're minor characters, but each of them have their own unique story.
This show is very similar to Ghost In The Shell. It runs on a episode-by-episode story, sometimes they last a couple episodes, but mainly it doesn't have a single plot line until nearing the end. I also thought that they killed off quite a few characters... and quite fast as well. There were only a handful of characters who make more frequent appearances. I guess it gives a mysterious outlook at the show?
Old 2010-03-30, 03:18   Link #2635
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

It's kind of like Cowboy Bebop, actually. The first season has Hei mostly encountering cases which he can personally relate to and involve his past.
Old 2010-07-18, 13:07   Link #2636
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
I am going to have to say, that BTB is one of the most interesting anime I have watched to date and it has one hell of a dark feel to it. I like it.
Old 2010-07-19, 22:40   Link #2637
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
It's kind of like Cowboy Bebop, actually. The first season has Hei mostly encountering cases which he can personally relate to and involve his past.
Yeah that's true. Cowboy bebop was a hell of a show too.
Old 2010-07-19, 22:47   Link #2638
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Agreed. <.< I love Spike because he is bad ass.
Old 2010-07-20, 04:51   Link #2639
rurisunshine

did hei know from the very beginning that his sister was dead because it sometimes seemed like he was actually looking for her as if he just thought she just disappeared or something?
Old 2010-07-20, 04:53   Link #2640
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

He had no idea and was probably assuming but then again, maybe he was wish-washy about it. I mean if your sister suddenly disappeared (if you have one), how would you be? Then again I didn't really pay much attention to details.

Tags
action, supernatural