AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-04-11, 04:15   Link #61
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well,
Spoiler:

Dr. Tenma is definitely not the most "up-right" character unlike most anime protagonist. of course he cares about medical ethics, but he's not a guy that easily values morals and ethics over his career and his good living like a true Hero, it's the combined effects of the ethical comflicts, the angst, the frustration, that caused him to step out to stand against the director's orders.
well i dont know if this is a spoiler but just to be in the safe side
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-11, 04:41   Link #62
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
well i dont know if this is a spoiler but just to be in the safe side
Spoiler:
Spoiler for episode 1:

and that makes it more ironic that
Spoiler for manga, possibly episode 2 plot:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 07:05   Link #63
whatever123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Spoiler for episode 1:

and that makes it more ironic that
Spoiler for manga, possibly episode 2 plot:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-11, 07:22   Link #64
dreamless

Quote:
Spoiler:
well I was talking about that scene in both the anime and the manga, since they are exactly the same, the anime is completely faithful to the manga.... I guess it's just different interpretation. I think when Dr. Tenma do the "right thing", it's not just because of his ethics, but also because he's fed up of the director using him all the time. you think it's his ethics winning over his personal gain. So you consider Dr. Tenma a bit more "good natured" than what I perceived in the manga... guess that's just open to personal interpretation.
Old 2004-04-11, 07:43   Link #65
whatever123

i guess you are correct in the end it's all how each and everyone of us interpret the events he sees, what i saw was his personal struggle between ethics and personal gains in which he decided to go for ethics

anyway back to the whining please anyone tell me how good is anime-keep version compared to the manga (terminology wise)
Old 2004-04-11, 12:34   Link #66
musouka

EDIT: Guess I better put it under spoiler tags like you two did.

I think I'm in the middle of both of you. On the one hand, I do think Dr. Tenma is more ethical than not.
Spoiler:
ずっと変りはしない

Last edited by musouka; 2004-04-11 at 13:15.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 20:29   Link #67
Jose GSG
Henrietta's Supervisor

Send a message via AIM to Jose GSG
Does anyone know why they quoted scripture from Revelations in the Bible? Does that verse have something to do with the plot later on in the show? (used as a metaphor for something?)

Don't spoil anything, just say yes or no.
Jose GSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 21:22   Link #68
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose GSG
Does anyone know why they quoted scripture from Revelations in the Bible? Does that verse have something to do with the plot later on in the show? (used as a metaphor for something?)

Don't spoil anything, just say yes or no.
Yes, it does. Keep watching it, Monster is without a doubt one of the best manga ever IMO

I watched the first episode, and it exceeded my expectations. It was perfect: every character voice, the opening, the feeling. It made justice to the manga.
As for which fansub I should keep downloading from, I really don't know. Anime-Keep's version had a higher video and sound quality, but ToTan's translation was more accurate (comparing to the manga translation). I'll watch episode two from both fansubs later too, and decide which one I'll follow.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 22:36   Link #69
stpehen
kisses for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose GSG

Don't spoil anything, just say yes or no. :)
Yes, if you're observant. :)
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 22:38   Link #70
LinChoiSin

i agree with Musouka ,to me Tenma is a good guy who's too naive .The director is clearly not a good a guy because he's using Tenma but i think that his policy also has good points.
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 23:37   Link #71
Spooky-Electric

Hehe.. It's funny, whoever mentioned it before about the character designs matching the personalities is right.

Dr. Heineman and Eva both have faces that just look evil, while Dr. Tenma doesn't.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 23:53   Link #72
Za Paper

Quote:
i guess you are correct in the end it's all how each and everyone of us interpret the events he sees, what i saw was his personal struggle between ethics and personal gains in which he decided to go for ethics

anyway back to the whining please anyone tell me how good is anime-keep version compared to the manga (terminology wise)
Never read the manga but I can make a comparison between A-keep and Totans versions. While a-keep got some stuff right in the beginning, they had a lot more mistakes later on like awkward sentencing and grammatical errors. For example

17:25
A-keep - even if we move the bullet a bit, the artery might rupture and end up in a major bleeding.

Totan - If we move the bullet just a little, the ruptured artery will cause major bleeding

17:35
A-keep - Dr. Becker! What good does it do if you, who's on duty tonight, are this late?

Totan - Dr. Becker! you're supposed to be on duty!

17:40
A-keep - Craniotomy of both the right and the left frontal region, then ebonation and removal of the polluted brain. We then extract the bullet and then form an injured artery to finish.

Totan - We'll do full frontal craniotomy on both sides, remove bone fragments and damaged brain matter. Then we'll remove the bullet and close the artery.

Someone went to town with their medical dictionary (ebonation - removal of bone fragments). I can see where a-keep got polluted (onsen=polluted) but in this context I think it refers to injured brain tissue. And the last sentence, well... I dont think a surgeon wants to "form an injured artery".
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 00:02   Link #73
dreamless

hmm... aside from the last "for an injured artery" thing, I think A-Keep's version is just more literally translated... though I surely like the paraphrasing in Totan's version.
Old 2004-04-12, 00:07   Link #74
whatever123

thanx a lot

i think i'll download totan version then
Old 2004-04-12, 00:16   Link #75
ACE2003

After watching the first episode, I am definately impressed with what I have seen. The series is definately dark and has conflicting moral issues. Damn, I really have nothing to add that's already been said here other than I look forward to see the consequences of Dr. Tenma's choice to operate on the young boy?

Just a quick question, is the manga finished or still continuing because I haven't read it yet?
ACE2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 00:24   Link #76
musouka

Quote:
Just a quick question, is the manga finished or still continuing because I haven't read it yet?
The manga series is over, and it's 18 volumes of pure awesome-ness.

As for the other thing...
Spoiler:
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-04-12, 00:27   Link #77
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
thanx a lot

i think i'll download totan version then
Heh, I'm still waiting for Kraze's version. Am I the only one who's waiting for theirs? I feel like a show with this kind of horribly complicated dialogue needs a massive TL/Editing accuracy treatment. They say if you can understand the medical terminology of a language, you are pretty much an expert in it (unless that's ALL you studied, which could be the case if you were a doctor).
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 00:34   Link #78
musouka

Quote:
Heh, I'm still waiting for Kraze's version. Am I the only one who's waiting for theirs?
I'm sticking with Totan's, mainly because I'm happy that this is the only series on their plate right now--meaning that all their focus will be on it and other shows won't make it fall to the wayside--and all of them seem commited to doing the best job possible. Since this is the show I want to watch over all others, I appreciate that level of commitment.

Plus, a big thing for me is the names, cities, and...other spoilers that I won't mention, and since they are Czech-based, I can rest assured that flubs are less likely (if likely at all) to happen in those areas.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-04-12, 00:34   Link #79
Kagari-chan
銀の律動のムジカ

Send a message via AIM to Kagari-chan Send a message via MSN to Kagari-chan
The reason you might say Totan's is closer to the manga is because a lot of their translation is similar to the text scripts posted here. http://stephen.swoo.net/monster/monster.html They could have used those, you know.
Kagari-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 00:35   Link #80
ACE2003

Okay, thanks musouka! As for the spoiler....I think I'll pass! ^_^ I can't wait to see what happens.....
ACE2003 is offline   Reply With Quote