AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-27, 00:39   Link #801
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Haruhi's "dere", if you can call it that, is most often really subtle and it happens fairly rarely. You can feel 'something' about her reaction but its not the normal stereotypical 'dere' response (meek and loving) that is easily identifiable as such. Because of this I too agree with setting Haruhi in a completely new category whose closest related moe model is Tsundere.
I thought it was already established as Tsun-FlamethrowerOrJoy way back when
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 00:44   Link #802
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
I thought it was already established as Tsun-FlamethrowerOrJoy way back when
The Flamethrower of Joy is great! But we need a less "mouthful" way of describing it as a 'type'

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 01:05   Link #803
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
Haruhi is tsun, tsun, tsun with a flamethrower of joy.
hehe... I remember that from the ep3 threads ^_^

I'm hoping as the show progresses we manage to get a solid enough handle on Haruhi to really nail her personality down. But tieing her into a pre-existing anime archetype or stereotype isn't going to work well... She just doesn't really fit.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 01:13   Link #804
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

They might as well name that new moe-type "Haruhi" since there's no other character like her. Although I see a slew of attempted copycats in the future that'll fall flat

Edit: although Tsun-FOJ also works for us lazy people
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 03:14   Link #805
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

So, how about Tsun-Hare?

(That would be Tsunpare, right?)
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 03:16   Link #806
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Tsu'zumiya?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 06:02   Link #807
Kyousuke

Does anyone feel like this is the most overrated anime right now? =/
Old 2006-04-27, 06:14   Link #808
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke
No, we feel that its still not well known enough

I just went to the nearby comic shops/book shops/model kit shops and none of them know anything about haruhi.

I really want to get those novels!

(At least my trip today didn't go empty handed, i got the gainax girls set and also wild wurger/falken)

I'm going back for more haruhi hunts until i get the novels.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 06:28   Link #809
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Well, since I like the show to death, don't expect a non-biased opinion. I'll try though.

At the surface level, it has alot of good points. There is more than enough things going on to appeal to a wide range of audiences. It could be Haruhi's antics, Kyon's sarcastic thoughts and remarks, Mikuru's "moe-ness", Yuki, visuals, or a combination of the above and more. Going deeper, I find the show hinting to a deeper plot. It just hints to it, so as to leave room for the viewers to think about and discuss (or spoil themselves by readnig the novels); and at the same time, leaves the viewers thirsting for more. I just thought I'd mention that there's also an amazing attention to detail that are quite easily missed when first watching. Although it doesn't help too much, it's still a plus point for the series.

Although I think many people are forced to like due to peer pressure, I think it's a very good show, quite worthy of the attention it gets.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 07:48   Link #810
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
well i don't think you should force people to like something.

I didn't like the Naruto anime much, watched it, but gave up. Always did prefer the manga.

But i don't see why people have to complain about it.

But then again, it does make me laugh when people violently lash out at saomething they don't like.

Abit like the Anti-Anime groups. Moan all day on their own forum, how they hate anime, and why don't we all get a real women.
pure comedy.
Old 2006-04-27, 08:06   Link #811
mr.muffin

Quote:
Nope. Not to me at least. But of course my opinion's a biased one.

Of course you're welcome to air your views on why it's overrated. But I have a feeling that may just start an endless debate...
mr.muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 08:14   Link #812
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I consider "over-rated" a complement rather than a complaint.

If you actually have something to complain about concerning the anime, you would have said so already.
Bad plot? Bad animation? Horrible voice acting? Flawed character design? Boring music? There are a million things you can complain about. But in the end, is "over-rated" the best you can come up with as a complaint?

An over-rated show may be brilliant or ordinary, but never bad. So are you praising the show or trying to insult it groundlessly?

I can pick ANY popular entertainment, and tag "over-rated" next to it.
e.g.
"Lord of the Rings Trilogy was over-rated"
"Romeo and Juliet was over-rated"
"The Sandman graphic novels were over-rated"

The only requirement for me to tag "over-rated", is if the entertainment media is popular to some degree.

On the other hand,
"Matrix 3 was over-rated"
or
"Streetfighter the Move, live action, was over-rated"

...doesn't make any sense, because the movies were considered garbage by most.

So what are you trying to say, when you claim Harhi is over-rated? That you don't like it because too many other people like it? Is that even an opinion? Think about it.
Old 2006-04-27, 08:32   Link #813
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
On the other hand,
"Matrix 3 was over-rated"
or
"Streetfighter the Move, live action, was over-rated"

...doesn't make any sense, because the movies were considered garbage by most.
hmm... don't know bout Street Fighter but I would probably consider the Matrix Revolutions overrated since it did pull in a lot of money at the box office, but to me it wasn't a good movie. Still liked the 1st Matrix movie best.
Old 2006-04-27, 08:36   Link #814
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
hmm... don't know bout Street Fighter but I would probably consider the Matrix Revolutions overrated since it did pull in a lot of money at the box office, but to me it wasn't a good movie. Still liked the 1st Matrix movie best.
Box-office is separate from being "over-rated". I have yet to find someone who claim Matrix-3 was good, even if they already paid the money to watch it.

Also, you forgot that Matrix-3 made only HALF as much money as Matrix-2. So yeah, it failed in the box office.
Old 2006-04-27, 08:39   Link #815
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

About LOTR movies... Book was WAY better than movie...
Old 2006-04-27, 08:45   Link #816
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXeD
Let's examine your statement...

Did it say anything about the quality of the film? Nothing!

You have managed to criticize the LoTR films without actually mentioning any flaws at all!

If I claim that my local restaurant's food isn't as good as cuisine cooked by the Iron-Chefs, does that mean the restaurant food is horrible?

What it comes down to, is that your statement makes as much sense as the comment that the Harhui anime is over-rated. Both statements don't actually say ANYTHING useful, but are standard, cheap, methods for critics to complain without any basis.
Old 2006-04-27, 08:52   Link #817
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Box-office is separate from being "over-rated". I have yet to find someone who claim Matrix-3 was good, even if they already paid the money to watch it.

Also, you forgot that Matrix-3 made only HALF as much money as Matrix-2. So yeah, it failed in the box office.
hmm... the box office earnings of a movie are an indication of how popular a movie is. Although Revolutions did worse than Reloaded it probably earned quite a bit. At least enough to place it in the "popular" movie category, thus allowing it to qualify for over-rated status. But I'm just nitpicking here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXeD
Yeah I think the books were better than the movies. But I think Peter Jackson still did a great job with the LOTR Trilogy. Really loved the LOTR movies. Especially the extended DVD versions.
Old 2006-04-27, 11:12   Link #818
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Not me. But about ten percent of the incredibly many posts on 2channel are anti- posts. And the extreme support certainly makes it logical to think it must be overrated.

Personally, when I read posts or blog entries that are not totally enthusiastic, I kind of look down on the posters as not being smart enough to get it. Sorry, but I'm just being honest. I'm also honest enough to know that I'm being unfair to some very smart people. People have a right to hold different opinions.

I do think my feelings are amplified by the peer support, but I'm satisfied that I saw the excellence on my own, since I was among the first to post in this thread after seeing the first episode and called it one of the funniest anime episodes I had ever seen. It's just that now I see a lot of depth there that I didn't see at first.

I think this is both a deeply comic show and a deeply serious one. Mikuru's pain. Haruhi's desperation. Kyon's compulsion. When Mikuru asked Kyon if he would marry her if Haruhi "ruined" her, it was both hilarious and touching. And when Kyon didn't protect her as he said he would, admitting that he loved seeing her in the bunny suit, it was an admission of human weakness. This kind of thing elevates the show above other anime, for me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 12:26   Link #819
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
Yeah I think the books were better than the movies. But I think Peter Jackson still did a great job with the LOTR Trilogy. Really loved the LOTR movies. Especially the extended DVD versions.
In the cases where I have both seen the movie and read the book that it was based on, no matter how great I thought the movie was, it was never as good as the book. There just isn't room in a movie for everything that is in a book.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 12:29   Link #820
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime
In the cases where I have both seen the movie and read the book that it was based on, no matter how great I thought the movie was, it was never as good as the book. There just isn't room in a movie for everything that is in a book.
So does that mean you are saying the movie is BAD?

No, I presume?

So why is it that people criticize a movie by comparing it to a book?
Does that tell people anything concerning the quality of the movie?

Is it even remotely informative?

In fact, is it even truly criticism?

I can just as easily decide from your statement, that you like reading a book over watching a movie.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen