AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-03-27, 12:08   Link #61
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Very. Nice. trailer. It'll be like watching it all over again. It's the way anime should look IMO.
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 12:12   Link #62
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Hmm... That guy looks like Hiroyuki from To Heart. Oh well, not much I could tell, but I suspect they're keeping the previous story.
Old 2006-03-27, 13:40   Link #63
Boukenxha

This news would have me up doing backflips if I know how. Kanon was my first Bishoujo anime, the first anime that moved me to tears and my first exposure to I've Sound, it's a big influence on me as an anime fan. I'm so looking forward to seeing it with KyoAni at the helm this time, the trailer looks to be a winner already!

PS: The official site is finally back on-line.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 14:14   Link #64
Keitarou
Ninja

That was...wonderful. Simply wonderful. Now I can wait even less for the real thing.

Yuuichi the stud. Nice design, that's for sure. :)
And using Last Regrets this time is another point for the remake, was always my favourite piece.
Keitarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 16:37   Link #65
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Seems that Yuuichi will retain his cold personality from the game based on how he looks in the trailer. The Toei version of him is too cheerful and fruity.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 22:40   Link #66
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

Interesting indeed. I remember watching the old Kanon way back when I first watched it and I could barely stand it. Quit halfway through cuz it was so boring, but forced myself to finish it a year later. What I couldn't stand was the way the main character looked. I have a thing against non-likeable main characters getting the girls. The new Yuuichi looks much much cooler.

The refined character designs are definately pleasing to the eye. And considering the job KyoAni did with Air, I'm definately anticipating this.

There totally has to be a Clannad TV series!
MetaFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 23:29   Link #67
JarOfMayo

I await CLANNAD too (even though any story route would crush me as all are so good). After CLANNAD my life is done I think (err lol ).

But rebirth of Kanon in the mean time! BANZAI!! BANZAI!! BANZAI!!
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 04:50   Link #68
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

24 Episodes long. That's good news.
Old 2006-03-28, 04:59   Link #69
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
24 Episodes long. That's good news.
I wouldn't call it GOOD news. That leaves a big open window for story alteration. That also lives much room for episodes that don't further the plot (something like Canvas 2 middle episodes). Although I wouldn't call it bad either. We'll just have to wait.
Old 2006-03-28, 05:03   Link #70
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

It's KyoAni we are talking about here. Have they ever disappoint before ?

Looking at how AIR was at 13 Episodes, people are complaining about it being too fast paced. I guess KyoAni are trying to rectify things here.
Old 2006-03-28, 07:42   Link #71
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

It's all just my opinion so keep that in mind, but I refer to two double-legnth series. Canvas 2, to me, held together pretty solid. So if Kanon kept something along those lines it'll be decent. I felt DCSS was about 16 episodes of filler. So it could go that way too.

So I put my faith in the staff for this one and hope they do as well of a job with the writing as they do with the animation.

NOTE: They're my opinions only. If you have a beef with them use the PM system. Don't fight about it on the board.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 08:43   Link #72
-Nyu-
Yozora

The animation quality in the trailer really is stunning. I remember the first Kanon series where some parts were not done that well..
Will be nice to watch the series again in such a good animation quality.
Kyoto Animation is also a great studio, series like "Air" and "Full Metal Panic: The second raid" come to my mind.
As far as I remember the original Kanon has 13 episodes. So after hearing the new one will have 24 I hope they'll do a good job in the story part and don't produce too much "fillers".
I myself liked Kanon, but the story is not for everybody.
Ahh, and to mention it again: The new Kanon looks DAMN GOOD! ^^
-Nyu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 09:14   Link #73
bluemist
i am the mist

Don't worry about fillers. A visual novel is as long as it gets. If Kyoto Animation is thinking what I'm thinking, they will produce what may well be the most faithful translation of a bishoujo game to anime... ever.

Seeing that AIR TV is oh so faithful to the original game despite the fast pace due to limited episodes, having a wide 24-episode spread will allow even little details of the Kanon stories to be converted into animation.

See how KyoAni did their animation cinematography and camera angles in AIR? "Exactly" the drawing cinematography and shot angles of the original game's CG.
Old 2006-03-28, 09:31   Link #74
-Nyu-
Yozora

Hmm, it's difficult to compare for me, because I don't have the games (and I don't know Japanese^^). Maybe you can tell me something about the Kanon (and Air) game?
Ah, just watched the trailer again. The way they did the eyes of the characters is very smilar to that in Air, isn't it?

Last edited by -Nyu-; 2006-03-28 at 09:51.
-Nyu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 11:00   Link #75
EdenB
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nyu-
Hmm, it's difficult to compare for me, because I don't have the games (and I don't know Japanese^^). Maybe you can tell me something about the Kanon (and Air) game?
Ah, just watched the trailer again. The way they did the eyes of the characters is very smilar to that in Air, isn't it?
As far as the Kanon game goes, the general features are five endings (that I know of), one for each main girl, a very good storyline with a fairly lengthy script and a Makoto bath scene.

I've only played about half of the game though. It's translated into English by Haeleth with a patch that translates about 57% of the game, I think it was. Since it's pretty long, I can see how it'd fit into 24 episodes. Especially if they try include some of all the girls stories.
EdenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 11:57   Link #76
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The 24-episode news is great! The remake idea is definitely making even more sense with that being the case. I thought the original Kanon did pretty well given the length, as did Air, but there's no question they had to make sacrifices in the process, and some parts felt a bit rushed. As a general preference, I'd have to say that I like 24-26 episode series better, even if there is a bit of filler in there (which I don't think we'll see much of in Kanon anyway).

I started watching the original Kanon anime again on DVD the other night, and I was really reminded of just how good it is. Historically, remakes tend to not fare so well when compared to the original, except by newer fans who don't really like the older style. Given the very short length of time between the original and the remake, it'll be interesting to see how this compares. In any case, though, we'll all be watching to find out.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 12:34   Link #77
Aru
dead

Yay, 24 more episodes of uguu~ and taiyaki...
Aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 12:39   Link #78
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
Don't worry about fillers. A visual novel is as long as it gets. If Kyoto Animation is thinking what I'm thinking, they will produce what may well be the most faithful translation of a bishoujo game to anime... ever.

Seeing that AIR TV is oh so faithful to the original game despite the fast pace due to limited episodes, having a wide 24-episode spread will allow even little details of the Kanon stories to be converted into animation.

See how KyoAni did their animation cinematography and camera angles in AIR? "Exactly" the drawing cinematography and shot angles of the original game's CG.
I don't exactly share this note of optimism. Air was animated magnificently and it was possible because the length of the series was short. Even then, there were a few animation discrepency in the middle of that series. Now if Kanon is 24 episodes long then the animation have to, just have to, suffer in one or two episodes and that is said after stretching optimism to its limit. There simply hasn't been any series that was 24+ episodes in length and didn't suffer inconsisteny in animation. Admittedly at the same time, Kyoto Animation deserves all the benefit of the doubt.

The story is another matter. I really liked Kanon in its original length, so I am a bit alarmed by the announced length of this remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
I wouldn't call it GOOD news. That leaves a big open window for story alteration. That also lives much room for episodes that don't further the plot (something like Canvas 2 middle episodes). Although I wouldn't call it bad either. We'll just have to wait.
Agreed!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 13:08   Link #79
GokuJunior

Send a message via MSN to GokuJunior
Kanon (2006) discussion

This trailer was a complete good surprise to me :P
The original anime was good but, it left a lot of questions un-answered...
With the same super animation of Air of course this has to be a good show... and Yuuichi's face is much more likable
In this brazilian site you can also know more things (fake or not) about the new Kanon series:
http://www.animeblade.com.br/noticias/1143551111
Summing it all, it's said that "the new Kanon series will have more episodes (24) than the original (12). It will start in October in Japan and the anime will have the same OP and ED of the game (Last regrets and Kaze no tadoritsuku basho) and the same of the last episode of the original Kanon."
I have high hopes for this remake...
And what do you think? Probably Air fans will like it too now...
I can't wait for Fall

Last edited by GokuJunior; 2006-03-30 at 02:25.
GokuJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 13:15   Link #80
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Yes.. a lot of the Kanon-fans should have seen the trailer by now. And a lot of them are talking about it in the thread located in the General Anime section of the forum which exist for a week or so. You can't miss it.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen