Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-03-19, 23:47   Link #1201
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah, well you can definitely focus on stuff.

Some notes as you might have seen above as that world events are now a somewhat big thing and a lot harder than they used to be such as Teq down in Sparkfly Fen and also the wurm event. Fractals dungeons have also been retooled a lot.

Most dungeons favor dps gear over other stuff, though since you have COF gear I don't think that should be a problem.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 22:44   Link #1202
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

April 15th feature patch including if you haven't seen already:

New traits
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/t...aits-and-more/

Reworked runes, sigils, and other balance updates regarding those
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/r...lance-updates/

Critical damage changes
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/l...amage-changes/

Mostly looking forward to the new traits

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 19:44   Link #1203
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

The runes and sigils are pretty good changes as the old system is very arbitrary. The critical damage change sucks, especially for guardians as guardians only have power builds.

I think the necromancer traits are solid, however the ranger ones are sorta lol. They really need to rework the later class.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-03-24, 15:34   Link #1204
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I'm really looking forward to the update Necromancer is my mostly played class and we aren't very fun in PVE right now people are sometimes judgmental towards us. Unholy Sanctuary is a really great idea but now i'll have to invest in Healing Power so the builds will be very interesting. But poor Critical damage I really love my Zerk build 8k Life Blasts <3 but i'm all for more build diversity.

I wanna do some Dungeon runs this weekend who's interested ? My IGN name is King Aznable.
Old 2014-04-01, 13:18   Link #1205
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Lol, to show how hilariously angry the Gw2 forums are, you can read about people overreacting to the April Fool's Joke. It's almost worth it: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...-Heads/3841111

And as for necromancer, I already run 30 in Death magic because the staff mastery and trait that gives 10% toughness to strength is really good. (10 Curses-30 Death-30 Soul Reaping) so that will add much more survivability on top of whatever damage I was doing.)

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-08, 13:19   Link #1206
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKn56n2ur64

Omg a trololol finisher!

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-08, 14:54   Link #1207
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Recently, IGN got to talk with Colin Johansen about what they've learned so far and a couple of other topics. Predictably, it attraced a slew of comments, one of which I find quite puzzling; I thought I'd share it here and see what you lads and lasses think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSFisk@IGN
PvP: Wow. No roles makes PvP a mixed bag. The WvW is an awesome concept but strategy consists of roving hordes of players moving from capture point to capture point. Since there is no real dedicated role structure, it's essentially a victory-by-attrition melee with superior numbers and gear being the victors.
When challenged as to how he can claim there are no 'roles' given that each class does in fact have a place within the ORBAT, he elaborates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSFisk@IGN
Actually, each class doesn't have a defined role. There is no tank, no healer and no DPS. Sure, some classes have means to give the illusion of being a Healer or a Tank (Actually, the Guardian is a tank in this game...and a Healer...and a DPSer if done right). The holy trinity doesn't exist in Guild Wars 2. The healing and aggro management in this game doesn't function the way it does in traditional MMORPGs.
All of which facts he and his guildmates have obviously adapted to successfully given that he's gotten to level 80...

One other post is a gripe about the 'downed' mechanic from someone who obviously failed at adaptation. Now that I think about it, that mechanic could allow GW2 to make PvP scenarios that mimic the Interrogation mode from The Last of Us (reference).
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 21:56   Link #1208
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Yes and no.

It is true actually that the downed mechanic lowers the skill cap because that inherently gives the bigger force an advantage. For example, if you were to fight people 1v4, even if you were able to down someone, they could res each other and use it against you. If you go down, then it's over. This in conjunction with the aoe cap of 5 people makes outnumbered fights worse for the smaller crew.

The thing about roles is nonsensical though, especially in pvp... where it's often just 5v5 so the outnumbering concept goes to wvw. Just because some people play in a disorganized mess does not make it the only way to play. If the numbers are even, the more skilled players generally win. For example, organized groups often do have roles-- frontline, ranged damage, and support. What the "soft" roles in gw2 means that it's easy for a character to subtly change their builds to suit a certain purpose, and that allows for more flexibility.

Of course, one thing typical about many Gw2 player complaints is that they usually have no idea about what they're talking about. Well, that doesn't mean their complaints are inherently invalid, but they just lack the ability to approach certain matters other than the way they feel a game should be played.

And gear is hardly an issue, since the differences between tiers is notable, but not really gamechanging. A bad player in ascended level 80 gear would not be much use even against level 80 players in rare gear; not that would it happen often.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-10, 11:57   Link #1209
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It is true actually that the downed mechanic lowers the skill cap because that inherently gives the bigger force an advantage. For example, if you were to fight people 1v4, even if you were able to down someone, they could res each other and use it against you. If you go down, then it's over.
Actually, one could argue that it raises the notional 'skill cap'... consider the skill needed for a single player to take down that team of four, especially if they coordinate properly. In more balanced situations (such as common in WvW) the inherent risk in reviving a fallen comrade must be taken into consideration (we are talking about a channeled process which leave both involved exposed fully to enemy action)... and in how many TV shows and movies have we seen a sniper wing someone, then wait to see who comes to help?

Quote:
This in conjunction with the aoe cap of 5 people makes outnumbered fights worse for the smaller crew.
Not sure why that cap is there, but that's a debate for another thread.

Quote:
The thing about roles is nonsensical though, especially in pvp... where it's often just 5v5 so the outnumbering concept goes to wvw. Just because some people play in a disorganized mess does not make it the only way to play. If the numbers are even, the more skilled players generally win. For example, organized groups often do have roles-- frontline, ranged damage, and support. What the "soft" roles in gw2 means that it's easy for a character to subtly change their builds to suit a certain purpose, and that allows for more flexibility.
Here we are in complete agreement; such flexibility is a good thing. I honestly never thought I'd hear someone be unhappy about classes not being pigeonholed into specific roles...

STO does this as well: each of the three career paths (engineering, tactical, and science) has a variety of kits which grant groups of abilities (something GW2 engineers enjoy too). A science captain, for instance, might normally roll with the physicist kit and its array of area attacks, but if your squad instead needs medical support, you can just swap kits. And an upcoming change will extend this by modularizing the kits.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 12:08   Link #1210
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Actually, one could argue that it raises the notional 'skill cap'... consider the skill needed for a single player to take down that team of four, especially if they coordinate properly. In more balanced situations (such as common in WvW) the inherent risk in reviving a fallen comrade must be taken into consideration (we are talking about a channeled process which leave both involved exposed fully to enemy action)... and in how many TV shows and movies have we seen a sniper wing someone, then wait to see who comes to help?
But that's just proving the point that, regardless, numbers dampen the skill cap. If the amount of skill required for the disadvantage side requires even greater skill, then there's an imbalance. For all intents and purposes, it's not just 4 times as hard to beat 4 people but more.

You could definitely argue that one shouldn't win a 1vx, but the gap just increased.

The downed/rally state causes a number of problems since it means you don't have to be as careful avoiding damage if people can pick you up. The rally mechanic means that if you go down and a few people tag you up, you dying revives all of them. So not only is the smaller group having a hard time killing people, but the larger group can get kills to revive any mistakes that were made.
It's no wonder most wvw large groups require soldier/clerics gear, since sacrificing survivability for damage is a poor deal in the vast majority of situations. It's possible for undergeared/underleveled characters to be a negative contribution, and that's just not a good idea because there's some cases where not allowing weaker players to play with you is a good thing. I think one dead person should only at most rally 3 people.

Quote:
Here we are in complete agreement; such flexibility is a good thing. I honestly never thought I'd hear someone be unhappy about classes not being pigeonholed into specific roles...
Because it forces one to think on their own. I noticed a lot of people falling into disarray when they can't just copy and paste a build online and have it instantly pwn everything else. Due to the way gear scales so slowly in gw2, you can't just overwhelm people with great gear if you're a bad player.

And of course, this sort of freedom is too hard to grasp for some people. They continuously search for some mythical endgame of which in another game just translates to gated, exclusive content. Some people think it's to get a legendary and end up frustrated, even though it doesn't really mean anything in the long run.

I think the desire to be part of something exclusive causes a lot of complaints about the game. You can't really easily show off your success outside of super rare skins/legendaries and thus people need to find some other way to feign elitism. It's pretty funny I guess.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-04-10 at 15:21.
Old 2014-04-11, 15:55   Link #1211
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Because it forces one to think on their own. I noticed a lot of people falling into disarray when they can't just copy and paste a build online and have it instantly pwn everything else. Due to the way gear scales so slowly in gw2, you can't just overwhelm people with great gear if you're a bad player.

And of course, this sort of freedom is too hard to grasp for some people. They continuously search for some mythical endgame of which in another game just translates to gated, exclusive content. Some people think it's to get a legendary and end up frustrated, even though it doesn't really mean anything in the long run.

I think the desire to be part of something exclusive causes a lot of complaints about the game. You can't really easily show off your success outside of super rare skins/legendaries and thus people need to find some other way to feign elitism. It's pretty funny I guess.
Archon Do you have any idea how profound your words really are? This is something that transcends the video game sphere. Your words show that you have an understanding how society have shaped our thoughts into a rigid mold. Do you have any idea how significant the bold part is? People don't even have a correct understanding of what true freedom is and we choose to remain imprisoned.
Old 2014-04-14, 19:26   Link #1212
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I think it's a good contrast to streamlined, single track games.

I mean a lot of people bitch about no precursor or legendary, but honestly there's nothing in the game that really makes it anything besides .... being a legendary. So a lot of people just impale themselves on sad task, while they could be doing virtually anything else.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-14, 21:29   Link #1213
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I know someone who is probably going to start playing GW2 "soon". Personally I am on the fence, though its more of a 40-60 split atm in favor of simply passing. I like to try games out (is there a trial/referral system somewhere?), and is looking for something to play for some time before other game such as Dark Souls 2 on PC get released.

Just from browsing reddit and reading some general gaming forums it seem that GW2 has fallen shy of expectations.

I would like to know what you guys think of the game.

Also, as someone who has spent too much time into WoW in the past, how are things different? How are the Quests/Leveling process like? How are PvE and PvP? How is endgame in GW2? How are the microtransactions like: do people who pay gain much advantage to a point there its pay-to-win? How is the game balance like? Is this game worth the time or should I go try something else?

Also, since the game has been out for quite some time, how are the signs of an "aged" game? Ie: lots of people decked out in endgame gears - making it painful to find groups for pre-endgame stuff. How is the economy like?

Last 2 questions:
- What are things you like about the game?
- What are things you dislike about the game?
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 12:45   Link #1214
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Just buy it, it only costs $40 and you won't have to pay a monthly sub fee afterwards. You can play this game as an amazing "single player" experience all the way up to level 80 and then focus on getting the best gear available, at least that's what I did. I confess I don't have a large social circle inside the game so I can't really speak about its strengths as a social mmo. However, rest assured that this game's core aspect is its social component. I am just a bit of an anti social anyway and I still love it.

GW 2 is designed in such a way that it rewards people for coming together, it is a truly beautiful thing to see, not just because of a gaming stand point but also because it clearly demonstrates that human behavior is a product of the environment. The game is a great experiment on human behavior if you ask me; elitism is not given a spotlight here, it is also really easy to meet people and make friends.

The game draws such a hard contrast between the classic mmo experience and itself that you will either love it or hate it. Please by all means give it a try, this game is already the second most successul mmo after WoW (which won't be dethroned no matter what due people's attachments to their characters and friends).

Here is a great review by Angry Joe:

Old 2014-04-15, 12:59   Link #1215
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I know someone who is probably going to start playing GW2 "soon". Personally I am on the fence, though its more of a 40-60 split atm in favor of simply passing. I like to try games out (is there a trial/referral system somewhere?), and is looking for something to play for some time before other game such as Dark Souls 2 on PC get released.

Just from browsing reddit and reading some general gaming forums it seem that GW2 has fallen shy of expectations.

I would like to know what you guys think of the game.

Also, as someone who has spent too much time into WoW in the past, how are things different? How are the Quests/Leveling process like? How are PvE and PvP? How is endgame in GW2? How are the microtransactions like: do people who pay gain much advantage to a point there its pay-to-win? How is the game balance like? Is this game worth the time or should I go try something else?

Also, since the game has been out for quite some time, how are the signs of an "aged" game? Ie: lots of people decked out in endgame gears - making it painful to find groups for pre-endgame stuff. How is the economy like?

Last 2 questions:
- What are things you like about the game?
- What are things you dislike about the game?
Most reviews I've come across seem pretty positive.

The questing process has taken the form of optional quests known as hearts, which mostly are just the same thing as quests, but there are so many of them and they give a lot of experience, so it is not necessary to do any that are too boring. The main form of Guild Wars 2 questing are events that randomly pop up at certain interviews that often tie into the heart quests.

Open World PvE will be very dull for the most part, the more challenging "endgame" content resides in dungeons and also giant open world "raid" events. I don't think that's anything particularly special.

Also it is true that many have already moved to high end areas, and the mid zones can be very deserted. However, leveling to 80 isn't a particularly long process, and also an economy has built around gathering mid-level materials which still remain highly useful.

Player vs Player is divided into 2 sections: SPvP, the competitive mode, where your characters are automatically put to 80 and you can choose whatever gear; pve gear has no effect here, so if you just want to pvp, you don't have to level your character at all. And WvW, which is basically realm vs realm, and does use your PVE stats though you are boosted to 80.

The economy is amazingly stable, given that this is a video game economy where wealth is consistently generated, I think the gold sinks are more than sufficient.

There is practically no P2w, as any grind associated with the game is largely aesthetic grinds, with stat grind being a relatively minor concern, compared to many other games. In general, any level 80 gear can be used to complete content.

The main advantage of the game would be the combat as it feels pretty fast paced, and also a lot of the content being entirely optional means you can find something you like and specialize in it. As this game requires no sub, it does not pressure you to constantly grind for something or fall insanely behind. The backgrounds are very nice looking, and the soundtrack is exceptional in various places. The main cons of the game are a subpar interface, and class balance remains an issue; their balancing attempts are reminiscent of Blizzard, and that's no real surprise because Arenanet was founded by some ex-blizzard folks; it really shows, lol.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-15, 13:15   Link #1216
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I personally found the PVE side of the game quite good, I felt like I was playing skyrim all over again. It really shows that this game was given a lot of attention and care from day 1. I am not much of a pvp person though, which is for many the main point of attraction.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2014-04-15 at 13:25.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 01:39   Link #1217
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, it's ok every now and then, but I don't think it has what many "hardcore" players really want.

Personally, I think the classes, while balance is still a problem, are quite a lot of fun to play. Each class has its unique perks and since I've only played 4 of the 8 classes, and maybe 2 of them to a decent level, that leaves a lot more of the game to explore still.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-25, 05:20   Link #1218
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I've tried to get back into Guild Wars 2. But I needed to get my account key or something to log in. Unfortunately I have no idea where it is, and even after contacting an employee they said I was out of luck. I'll just continue to watch the game progress from the sidelines.
Old 2014-04-25, 16:57   Link #1219
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...on-key/2463544
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...65&postcount=4

There's many other ways they can help actually but depends on how much time you want to spend.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-25, 17:43   Link #1220
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I've been playing this for over a year, both "hardcore" and now more relaxed (don't have time). Sure, there are a bunch of whiners, but overall this is simply one of, if not the best mmo currently in the market imo. ESO is dirt (played more betas than I can afford to write cheques for therapy sessions. Would not wish on worst enemy), wildstar is meh.

Archon Wing is pretty much spot on, although in pve, deserted lower level zones should no longer be a problem, thanks to mega servers. And I disagree about balance, kind of . effort is put into balancing, and while it's not perfect, it's not in any way lopsided. A lot of perceived balance issues are often attributable to builds, more than big balance problems, IMO. Although the ranger of course has some particular problems currently. Still a good 1v1/ roaming class if you play it right. But yea, mostly, I can only agree with you

But basically... I wouldn't listen to a lot of the trash talking on the major forums, if that concerns you. Some complaints have some sort of merit, but in a lot of cases, it's a vocal, very whiny minority.

Overall, yes, I love the game. It's not perfect, but it's damn good.

Last edited by Faerie; 2014-04-25 at 17:47. Reason: Autocorrect ruining my day lol
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote