AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-04-22, 23:16   Link #8041
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

The stats are nice and all...but they count for nothing once Nakama Power comes into play...
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 03:52   Link #8042
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

- Explosive Power
- Cleavage
- Nudity
- Swordsmanship
- Being a man
- Singing ability
- Being a Boss [< LOL]
- Unrequited Love
- Pin Up

Damn. That Jason ... is one HELL OF A GOOD REPORTER.
Old 2012-04-23, 04:38   Link #8043
orangejuicetang

Counting cool as a value of 6, and discounting the usual 5th random stat, out of random curiosity, the participants with the highest 'stats' are:

Jura:24
Laxus:21
Rogue:20
Rufus:20
Kagura:19
Erza:19
Mirajane:19
Sting:18
Orga:17
Yuka:17
Hibiki:16
Gajeel:16

*random thing did just for fun.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 07:16   Link #8044
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I'm totally expecting Sabertooth to win the next time they show up though...
And Raven Tail won their next fight, and did quite well in the game as well. That hasn't really improved the impression of their strength back to where it was.

Quote:
I think it has been proved that Erza+mirror match =/= boring I don't think Erza would be paired against her when there are potentially other members for her to fight, like the stronger RT members or the hooded girl of MH.
I meant mirror match in terms of swordsman vs swordsman, not variable power user vs variable power user. As I said, basically a redux of Erza vs Ikuraga. I certainly hope we don't end up with that match up, because as you say there's other strong people around. Ones that are a lot more plot relevant. I doubt Erza'll face the hooded girl in battle though as she's almost certainly Milliana.

Quote:
Agreed, just because it's FT's magic doesn't mean it shouldn't hurt them. Surviving one hit from that kind of magic is probable - after all, Erza took Jupiter magic head-on and survived without any permanent damage, but getting up after two of these? Nakama powah.
The thing is, the second attempt to blast her with the island's power failed to harm her, and that was the extent of "nakama powah", everything else, including the blow that felled Azuma, was Erza. People also like to ignore that Azuma had a massive terrain advantage for that fight, and that Erza's two best armors were sitting around in a repair shop somewhere so Erza was at a pretty big handicap for that fight.

Quote:
Ikaruga was better than Erza, both in speed and power. Whether her armorless state increased these two parameters to such a degree that she surpassed her opponent's is unknown...but since she won the fight, it would be safe to assume so.
I always saw that fight as a matter of skill. It was a pretty classic "Two swordsmen charge each other, and strike through openings in one another's guard. The more skilled one is uninjured or lightly wounded, the less skilled one falls grievously wounded or slain." scene. That Ikuraga's magic revolves around enhancing her sword strikes does not automatically make her the more skilled one. And Erza was using two swords, which would give her a lot more options, such as deflecting Ikuraga's sword with one, while striking with the other.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 11:32   Link #8045
Robotech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Umm, I don't wanna interrupt the who's better than who fights here, but Mangastream released the translated Jason article from the latest FT volume showcasing the stats of each team participating.
Sans Butterfly Wendy for some reason.

He's built up enough hype for everyone else that if this tournament gets interrupted, I hope the interruption allows for all the other guild members to have battles too.
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 12:07   Link #8046
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Kinda dissapointed, but what ever.. i got a few chuckles.
Old 2012-04-23, 14:33   Link #8047
seiftis
~defying fate

Ichiya's stats are really a joke, lol.

Erza's stats meanwhile should get a "cool" factor everywhere, depending on the armor she exquips.
Old 2012-04-23, 16:37   Link #8048
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic View Post
Aria is weaker than Erza? Oh really?
Without any doubt what so ever.

Quote:
So you saying that without defenses her attack became much powerfull? Well, ok. But for Ikaruga who were like playing with her armor to not be able hit an open body...impossible
If you want to Simplify it. Ikaruga had a Power of 80 focus in attack that overwhelmed Erza's Defense of 50, but Erza shifted her 50 from defense to double her attack to 100, defeating Kagura. It wasn't a matter of not being able to hit Erza's armor-less body, it was a matter of Erza cutting her down first.

Quote:
Ok. So all FT magic is coming from the tree. Fairy Tail members can hit each other with their own magic (look Laxus ark or s-class ark) but others cannot? its a just pop out excuse. I really dont like this outside forces coming out of nowhere to change the plot in FT`s favour.
The same tree that made every Fairy Tail member on the island un-killable and gave them a power boost?

Speaking of Laxus, remember his Fairy Law not even injuring anybody in the city? A similar principle applies here, the magic in the Tenrou Tree simply didn't register Erza as an enemy, despite being directed against her.

----------

As for the power ratings:

I noticed that Erza really didn't have a wasted 5th stat, since Swordsmanship is still a combat skill.
Old 2012-04-23, 18:37   Link #8049
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Probably not really wise to pay much attention to the stats. Things change in combat. Natsu, in particular, changes his strength and speed often.

I'm also a bit put out about Ichiya. I believe it was said before he was one of Blue Pegasus's top mages, and yet he's been a complete joke every time he showed up.

The one thing I would take away from this, is the White and Shadow stats for Sting and Rogue. Does this imply light and dark DS's? Acnologia was the black dragon, and I doubt Rogue studied under, and then killed, Acnologia. So, either they only think they studied under white and shadow dragons (that were really fake), or there are two different dragons out there.

Or all this means nothing at all, heh.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 19:02   Link #8050
MAX_COLA_POWER!

If you guys were to do Jason's report, what words would you use for the pie charts of each team? You can add Flare, Bacchus, Jenny, and the others if you want.
Old 2012-04-23, 19:22   Link #8051
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

For the characters, the Xtra Stat would have to be chosen from several:

Flare: Creepy Eyes, Zombie Walk, Hair

Bacchus: Wasted, 'Real Men of Genius' Contender

Jenny: BOOBS rated COOOOOL!!

Wendy: Cuteness, Medic, "Great for Flying Kites!"

~*~

As for the color scheme of Sting n Rogue...It could also be for their outfits... Who knows what Jason's thinking of...
Old 2012-04-23, 22:20   Link #8052
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Sting and Rogue would crap their pants if they were face to face with Acnologia >_>
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 00:11   Link #8053
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic View Post
Ok. So all FT magic is coming from the tree. Fairy Tail members can hit each other with their own magic (look Laxus ark or s-class ark) but others cannot? its a just pop out excuse. I really dont like this outside forces coming out of nowhere to change the plot in FT`s favour.
Missed this one before; Fairy Tail's magic doesn't come from the tree, it just gave them some bonuses while they were on the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Probably not really wise to pay much attention to the stats. Things change in combat. Natsu, in particular, changes his strength and speed often.
Seeing as the stats are supposed to be what Jason's knowledge is, they likely don't include the training/power ups that various characters got just before the tournament.

Quote:
I'm also a bit put out about Ichiya. I believe it was said before he was one of Blue Pegasus's top mages, and yet he's been a complete joke every time he showed up.
All told, Ichiya's pretty well rounded. The perfume Gemini pulled out effectively paralyzed Jura so Angel could stab him. Ichiya was able to use his perfumes to patch almost every up enough to continue fighting. The one he used at the end of the arc gave him a big boost in strength, and the one he used during the recent competition gave him a decent boost in speed. He's not a raw power combat power house, but he is pretty capable. He's just an idiot which leaves him horribly inconsistent.

Quote:
The one thing I would take away from this, is the White and Shadow stats for Sting and Rogue. Does this imply light and dark DS's? Acnologia was the black dragon, and I doubt Rogue studied under, and then killed, Acnologia. So, either they only think they studied under white and shadow dragons (that were really fake), or there are two different dragons out there.

I wouldn't worry about it given those are the joke stats. They're White and Shadow because they were introduce as the White and Shadow DSs. What element those are, is still up for debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
As for the power ratings:

I noticed that Erza really didn't have a wasted 5th stat, since Swordsmanship is still a combat skill.
Actually, that's MS being somewhat liberal with the translation. The kanji that are there are the kanji for female/woman, follow by the kanji for swordsman/swordswoman/fencer. So a more accurate translation would be female swordsman/swordswoman/woman fencer, or something along those lines.

Which is still better than most of the joke stats as ranking well in being a swordswoman is a bit more important to combat than ranking well in being a pin up model, or being cool. But not quite as good as ranking well in swordsmanship itself.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:35   Link #8054
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I am expecting Ichiya to pull an Aizen and be the super-strong secret leader of a dark organization
Quote:
Missed this one before; Fairy Tail's magic doesn't come from the tree, it just gave them some bonuses while they were on the island.
I was pretty certain their magic stemmed directly from the tree, seeing how they all collapsed and said they were out of magic when the tree fell.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 01:37   Link #8055
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
I am expecting Ichiya to pull an Aizen and be the super-strong secret leader of a dark organization
You may be on to something there. He's already voiced by Aizen in the animé so he's halfway there.
Old 2012-04-24, 15:48   Link #8056
Krono

Quote:
I was pretty certain their magic stemmed directly from the tree, seeing how they all collapsed and said they were out of magic when the tree fell.
That was because when the tree fell it meant Azuma had gained control over it and the island's power. At which point he reversed the connection it had established to them, and started using the connection to drain their powers. That's why Erza still had power. She didn't have the bonuses from the tree any more, but Azuma wasn't draining her power because he wanted a fight. That's also why when Azuma was defeated, everyone got their power back even though the tree was still broken, as he stopped draining them and restored what he'd taken. They just didn't get the extra protection from death and additional power the tree had been providing them. Then later when Ultear restored the tree, they got it's additional power again.

The bottom line is that the tree's affects do not extend beyond the island. Lucy, Juvia, Gajeel, Wendy, Charle, and Pantherlily didn't suddenly start drawing power from the tree when they joined Fairy Tail. Laxus, and Ivan didn't lose their power when they were thrown out of Fairy Tail. People hanging around back at the guild waiting for the results of the S-Class trial didn't suddenly fall over when the tree went down. Members of Fairy Tail get some perks while on the island, and that's it as far as their relationship with the tree.
Old 2012-04-24, 17:41   Link #8057
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

Well the thing is darkness, shadows and death have all been treated as seperate magic elements and given the whole connection between Zeref and Acnologia I would assume Acnologia's element is death. That leaves darkness and shadow elements for Rogue and he may have both given that he is a hybrid dragon slayer.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 23:32   Link #8058
sergel02

Was wondering, can people choose to learn magic? I know some are said to just be born with it, but i've seen it mentioned in the show that "so-and-so mage learned this new spell from them," or Fairy Tail offered people to come there to the guild where they can learn magic. I know it was said only 10% of the population were mages, bu was that by choice? Because you could see it like that those people worked to become mages.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 23:49   Link #8059
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
Was wondering, can people choose to learn magic? I know some are said to just be born with it, but i've seen it mentioned in the show that "so-and-so mage learned this new spell from them," or Fairy Tail offered people to come there to the guild where they can learn magic. I know it was said only 10% of the population were mages, bu was that by choice? Because you could see it like that those people worked to become mages.
At the start of the series it was supposed to be 10% of the population that was mages. That was apparently slightly retconned during the Tenrou Island arc to be 10% of the population could use magic. So the other 90% of the population can't learn magic.
Old 2012-04-25, 20:08   Link #8060
sergel02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
At the start of the series it was supposed to be 10% of the population that was mages. That was apparently slightly retconned during the Tenrou Island arc to be 10% of the population could use magic. So the other 90% of the population can't learn magic.

Hmm i think i remember that. It's a bit depressing though, that the whole story revolves around something only a special, gifted sliver of the population can do.

BTW, volume 32 sold around 300,000 copies this week.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen