AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-08, 05:41   Link #3981
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinswe View Post
Awesome episode Netero made her look like the noob she was, I didn´t mind the narration.

From what I´ve heard the Animé will end after this Arc is there any truth to it?
I wouldn't call him a noob yet,because all in all the punch/attack did nothing but push him away.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 06:29   Link #3982
hamazura
whatever

the narrations are godlike haha
more like a power point tale rather than an anime
Old 2014-01-08, 10:24   Link #3983
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 111-
Spoiler for part 1:

--------------
Spoiler for part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 10:29   Link #3984
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
People complain about Togashi being slow, taking hiatuses. Look at it this way - if it takes Togashi ten years to write an arc like this one and no one else could do it in a thousand, he's pretty damn fast. So what the hell are they bitching about?
Except there are some that can write something as good in less than half the time it takes him. Togashi is one of the best, but he doesn't stand all alone at the top. His talent doesn't justify his multiple and atrociously long hiatuses. He's slow no matter how you twist this around. Well, personally, I think there is a valid reason behind the hiatuses (illness) so I'm not complaining. If it turned out they were caused by pure laziness however, then you're goddamn right I would bitch. Being a mangaka is a job, not a hobby; it comes with responsibilities that include releasing chapters on time. If he can't do that, then he's bad at his job. And people who are bad at their job get complaints.
Old 2014-01-08, 10:57   Link #3985
Sabinswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
I wouldn't call him a noob yet,because all in all the punch/attack did nothing but push him away.
Never thought it was a male Chimera Ant looks like a girl.

And compared to Netero he is a noob IMO.

And I am pretty certain that Gon will wanna fight him.

And to the other question do you guys have any idea when they plan to end the anime, as far as I know the Manga doesn´t continue for much longer after this Arc.

I guess they can continue on their own like FMA and the first series there was still very good.
Sabinswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 10:59   Link #3986
Breimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Except there are some that can write something as good in less than half the time it takes him. Togashi is one of the best, but he doesn't stand all alone at the top. His talent doesn't justify his multiple and atrociously long hiatuses. He's slow no matter how you twist this around. Well, personally, I think there is a valid reason behind the hiatuses (illness) so I'm not complaining. If it turned out they were caused by pure laziness however, then you're goddamn right I would bitch. Being a mangaka is a job, not a hobby; it comes with responsibilities that include releasing chapters on time. If he can't do that, then he's bad at his job. And people who are bad at their job get complaints.

i was told that since he saved Jump in the old days with yu yu hakusho he has an iron fist on the editors allowing him to take many hiatuses without problem(even non illness/work related pauses).
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 11:08   Link #3987
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I think you miss something here. People works to earn money. Some jobs work on a fixed contractual basis - you work for me X hours per month, I pay you Y dollars for them. Some jobs work by paying per unit produced - e.g. per page, in the case of a mangaka. If your contract is of the latter type, you don't have fuck all responsibilities. If you have more than enough money and don't want to work, you don't. If that results in a loss of readers it's your problem, and you need to take it into account, but it's still your god-given right to do so. If Togashi can live on his reputation at this point, and on the revenue from the sales of what he already wrote, why should he bother? It's as if J.K. Rowling had decided to stop writing at Book 6 of Harry Potter, when she already had a shitload of money. No doubt many fans would have been enraged but she still would have been fully in the right to do so.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 11:52   Link #3988
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I think you miss something here. People works to earn money. Some jobs work on a fixed contractual basis - you work for me X hours per month, I pay you Y dollars for them. Some jobs work by paying per unit produced - e.g. per page, in the case of a mangaka. If your contract is of the latter type, you don't have fuck all responsibilities. If you have more than enough money and don't want to work, you don't. If that results in a loss of readers it's your problem, and you need to take it into account, but it's still your god-given right to do so. If Togashi can live on his reputation at this point, and on the revenue from the sales of what he already wrote, why should he bother? It's as if J.K. Rowling had decided to stop writing at Book 6 of Harry Potter, when she already had a shitload of money. No doubt many fans would have been enraged but she still would have been fully in the right to do so.
Unless his contract with Jump is completely different from every other mangaka (why would he and absolutely nobody else be allowed to take frequent breaks?), then he is under the obligation to release 17 to 19 pages weekly. If Jump didn't have iron clad contracts, the popular mangakas would take breaks whenever they want and the magazine would quickly die off. They have to keep them on a tight leash.

Perhaps Togashi managed to negotiate a great contract (in which case he's damn good) and has zero work ethic, I don't know, but I think it's more likely he has a good excuse not to work. I've heard from the president of a French manga publishing company that he has a rare blood disease.
Old 2014-01-08, 14:28   Link #3989
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Unless his contract with Jump is completely different from every other mangaka (why would he and absolutely nobody else be allowed to take frequent breaks?), then he is under the obligation to release 17 to 19 pages weekly. If Jump didn't have iron clad contracts, the popular mangakas would take breaks whenever they want and the magazine would quickly die off. They have to keep them on a tight leash.

Perhaps Togashi managed to negotiate a great contract (in which case he's damn good) and has zero work ethic, I don't know, but I think it's more likely he has a good excuse not to work. I've heard from the president of a French manga publishing company that he has a rare blood disease.
Dunno, I guess he has either a) very good reasons or b) a different contract. Either way, I don't think Jump would keep paying him with a contract like the ones you mentioned at this point, it would be a joke given the rhythm at which he works. But he's not even the only mangaka who takes these hiatuses (Berserk anyone?) so I think there is a handful of "freelancers" out there. Either way, even if he was ill, most companies (sadly) would find an excuse to fire you if you took that much time off, no matter how good the reason.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 15:08   Link #3990
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

If Bakuman's to be believed, aren't most mangaka on a yearly contract anyway? They wouldn't need an excuse, they just have to let the year run out.

But yeah, Togashi's such a good cash cow, with or without hiatus, that he probably has a non-standard arrangement.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 16:25   Link #3991
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Look at his student Biscuit. She's almost 60 and looks like she's barely into her teens. If anything, 110 is younger than I thought...
I actually have to admit that I found 110 younger than I was expecting by what they were describing before the revelation.
Old 2014-01-08, 16:29   Link #3992
MCAL

Well considering how popular both Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakushou are and the fact that he's married to the mangaka of Sailor Moon, Togashi is pretty much set for life. Even when he doesn't do anything, he still makes a lot of money for SJ and himself, so it isn't too farfetched that he is given free reign on when he will work. Having more Hunter x Hunter is more a privilege than a right. Don't think that's how Togashi feels, but that's how it is.\

Also, Happy 200 page count Hunter x Hunter 2011.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 16:55   Link #3993
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
i was told that since he saved Jump in the old days with yu yu hakusho he has an iron fist on the editors allowing him to take many hiatuses without problem(even non illness/work related pauses).
Yuyu didn't save Jump from anything. The magazine had Dragonball and Slam Dunk when YYH was published, two bigger juggernauts. Their numbers back then were all-time highs.

It was actually One Piece and HxH itself that took Jump back from a dark period, after DB and Slam Dunk were over and they were kinda struggling for a while.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 17:43   Link #3994
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
Yuyu didn't save Jump from anything. The magazine had Dragonball and Slam Dunk when YYH was published, two bigger juggernauts. Their numbers back then were all-time highs.

It was actually One Piece and HxH itself that took Jump back from a dark period, after DB and Slam Dunk were over and they were kinda struggling for a while.
YYH continued for a while after Slam Dunk and DB, and it was what saved SJ. It's also the reason Togashi was able to enforce the contract he wanted for HxH, as he felt that he had no creative freedom in YYH.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 18:18   Link #3995
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There are indeed plenty of other top-flight mangaka, but I don't see one who can do what Togashi does. He's unique as far as I'm concerned.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 18:47   Link #3996
MCAL

According to ANN, both Yu Yu Hakushou and Hunter x Hunter are in the top ten best selling Shounen Jump manga of all time. Hakushou being at number 10 and H x H being at number 8. He's also the only mangaka to have two series on the list. That is also pretty damn impressive.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 19:32   Link #3997
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
There are indeed plenty of other top-flight mangaka, but I don't see one who can do what Togashi does. He's unique as far as I'm concerned.
Unique? Have you read or watched Kentarou Miura's work? I would says Togashi and Kentarou are at the top as far as manga is concerned.
Old 2014-01-08, 19:37   Link #3998
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
YYH continued for a while after Slam Dunk and DB, and it was what saved SJ.
Sorry, that's completely wrong.

YYH ended its run in July 1994.
Dragonball ended in June 1995.
Slam Dunk didn't end until 1996.

Togashi was publishing Level E already, when DB and Slam Dunk finished. So how does what you're saying make any sense?

YYH was important for what's called the Golden Age of Jump, but again, it didn't save Jump from anything, as DB and Slam Dunk were kings at their time and wrapped later. They not only had better sales, but were also credited for Jump's highest prints ever.

Man, i hate when baseless myths spread around, but that's the internet. It was the One Piece/HxH/Naruto generation that pulled Jump back from a slump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
According to ANN, both Yu Yu Hakushou and Hunter x Hunter are in the top ten best selling Shounen Jump manga of all time. Hakushou being at number 10 and H x H being at number 8. He's also the only mangaka to have two series on the list. That is also pretty damn impressive.
That's only if we go by volume average. By total sales, Yuyu Hakusho is #13.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/2...s-of-all-time/

Last edited by Goty; 2014-01-08 at 19:53.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 00:14   Link #3999
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Unique? Have you read or watched Kentarou Miura's work? I would says Togashi and Kentarou are at the top as far as manga is concerned.
quoted for true, berserk is number one and hxh number two as "ongoing" mangas is refered, wich is quite frustrating giving the state of it "ongoing", for better or for worse miura is quite honest about why he is such a bum.
Old 2014-01-09, 11:22   Link #4000
kakakka

TBH, I am not as caught into the story in Berserk than in HxH. But then. maybe I am already desensitized in those kinds of stories.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen