AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-04-17, 22:17   Link #441
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

x_X

of a certain character.

Heck dude, it's like your favourite character too. =.=

HOW COULD YOU FORGET.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 01:31   Link #442
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Wait, what did episode 16 do to piss you off? Just out of curiosity and for the sake of conversation.
I think he's talking about After Story, in which case we all know what happens there.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 02:30   Link #443
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Wait, what did episode 16 do to piss you off? Just out of curiosity and for the sake of conversation.

Besides that, I felt like that the pacing for that episode was wacked. It's probably me since I'm well aware I'm in the minority here (see episode 16 rating poll) I did watch most of After Story in one sitting.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 01:05   Link #444
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post

x_X

of a certain character.

Heck dude, it's like your favourite character too. =.=

HOW COULD YOU FORGET.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
I think he's talking about After Story, in which case we all know what happens there.
It's not that forgot or that I didn't know what episode he was talking about, I just wanted to know specifically what issues he had with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Besides that, I felt like that the pacing for that episode was wacked. It's probably me since I'm well aware I'm in the minority here (see episode 16 rating poll) I did watch most of After Story in one sitting.
Ah, I see. Well the pacing felt perfect for me but it varies from person to person, you're not the only person to have said that. As for Torch, you know that I completely agree with you on that. Horrible moments for them to stick to Torch considering how many other BGM's or vocalized BGM's that they could have thrown in there to keep the atmosphere consistent. One of the biggest gripes I had with the series (from the few that is.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 02:59   Link #445
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Oh, I get it now. Duh.

This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about the ending theme not matching the serious overtone of After Story. I don't know exactly what effect they were going for, but somehow...it works. When all's said and done, Torch captures the essence of Clannad fairly well, as if to say, "As hard as it gets and no matter what goes wrong, everything's gonna be all right."

Now, had Nagisa's death meant the end of the series, and they chose to use this very same theme, I'd be upset right along with you guys.
Old 2010-04-19, 03:53   Link #446
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

To be fair, I thought Torch was even more out of place at the end of AS ep21.
Old 2010-04-19, 06:32   Link #447
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
To be fair, I thought Torch was even more out of place at the end of AS ep21.
^, this seriously I mean the only other anime I've seen to be so bad with an upbeat ED right after being serious/sad was Sora No Woto .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 12:45   Link #448
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

You guys are so depressing.
Old 2010-04-19, 12:52   Link #449
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
It's not that forgot or that I didn't know what episode he was talking about, I just wanted to know specifically what issues he had with it

Ah, I see. Well the pacing felt perfect for me but it varies from person to person, you're not the only person to have said that. As for Torch, you know that I completely agree with you on that. Horrible moments for them to stick to Torch considering how many other BGM's or vocalized BGM's that they could have thrown in there to keep the atmosphere consistent. One of the biggest gripes I had with the series (from the few that is.)
Lol, maybe they are like, oh you must have read the VN already; everything will be fine anyways!

I also felt like they should have ended the series on Chiisana Tenohira, not that they didn't make good use of it.

But fine, another gripe I have is that in episode 16, Kotomi spends some time making a discussion about the other world. That is good and all for the plot, but this never goes anywhere. If they showed her going somewhere with it, the ending might have felt less wacky. I dunno, it just seems to be a missed oppurtunity.

Of course, sometimes they are better off not explaining it, because it'll seem silly the more you think about it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 14:52   Link #450
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
^, this seriously I mean the only other anime I've seen to be so bad with an upbeat ED right after being serious/sad was Sora No Woto .
There's also Elfen Lied with all the blood/gore/nudity followed up with BABY I WANNA BE YOUR GIRL.

Ugh.
Old 2010-04-20, 03:36   Link #451
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Yo, Das, read that review of yours earlier in the topic and I thought it was not only one of the most well-composed and entertaining viewpoints I've read so far, but they fall so far in line with my own that I actually feel discouraged to type one up myself. I'm not sure if you still hold those views now, but for what it's worth, I think we both have most of the same ideas on how the series went, how we think it should of went, and what we felt about the characters. Pretty uncanny.

Not trying to kiss ass, just giving you your props, but the real reason I'm posting is because of one line in particular:

Quote:
The scenes in the theater club room where Nagisa/Ryou/Kotomi are all chatting together and Kyou and Tomoya are sitting off to the side talking between themselves really sealed that for me.
Which episode was this in? I simply must see this for myself.
Old 2010-04-20, 05:21   Link #452
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I think it's the one before the violin recital. Where Kyou decides to HAVE a recital. lol.

Where Kyou's all "I WANT TO JUMP YOUR BONEZ TOMOYA"

And Tomoya just goes to sleep.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 11:47   Link #453
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Yo, Das, read that review of yours earlier in the topic and I thought it was not only one of the most well-composed and entertaining viewpoints I've read so far, but they fall so far in line with my own that I actually feel discouraged to type one up myself. I'm not sure if you still hold those views now, but for what it's worth, I think we both have most of the same ideas on how the series went, how we think it should of went, and what we felt about the characters. Pretty uncanny.

Not trying to kiss ass, just giving you your props, but the real reason I'm posting is because of one line in particular:

Which episode was this in? I simply must see this for myself.
Episode 11. About 5 minutes in there's the scene with the magic wand. Tomoya and Kyou are sitting on one side of the room watching Kotomi, Ryou and Nagisa going through the prop box. It sort of made Tomoya/Kyou different from the rest of the drama club crew in my mind.
Old 2010-04-20, 14:42   Link #454
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I see. No wonder I didn't notice that little tidbit; there was no chemistry in the moment and Tomoya really didn't pay Kyou any mind, despite her obvious advances. I guess he was just never interested in her that way to begin with. :/

Ah well, it was worth investigating anyway. After all, it's always the little things that help you appreciate the grand scheme of things.
Old 2010-04-20, 17:17   Link #455
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
Episode 11. About 5 minutes in there's the scene with the magic wand. Tomoya and Kyou are sitting on one side of the room watching Kotomi, Ryou and Nagisa going through the prop box. It sort of made Tomoya/Kyou different from the rest of the drama club crew in my mind.
I believe this also supports your statement of Kyou and Tomoya being so alike to each other, which really was the downside of a possible romantic relationship between them. It seems like Tomoya's unresolved issues would have remained unresolved.

Thinking about it now, I think Yukine might have been the only other female in the series that could have worked the same as Nagisa, if we consider the personalities. But there was never any romantic tension between them so it was never a question to begin with.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-20, 18:34   Link #456
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Yukine is like, Nagisa 2.0. She's cuter, more selfless and understanding, hopelessly optimistic, and most of all, strong enough to face her own problems. She has such a calming presence that you can't help but to like her.

If After Story is that good with Nagisa, then with Yukine...holy shit, I'd probably give this anime a full 10.
Old 2010-04-20, 20:53   Link #457
DeX-kun

Quote:
Yukine is like, Nagisa 2.0. She's cuter, more selfless and understanding, hopelessly optimistic, and most of all, strong enough to face her own problems. She has such a calming presence that you can't help but to like her.
Now don't misconstrue the facts either. I hope you're not implying that Nagisa isn't strong enough to face her own problems because while there were times she had help with certain issues, there were other times where she settled them herself. Besides, the same can be said about Tomoya.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-20, 22:14   Link #458
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Well part of what made the Tomoya/Nagisa relationship work is the fact that Nagisa needed somebody to help her. Yukine didn't really need that and because of that couldn't really drive Tomoya out of his shell. She doesn't give him something to work for like Nagisa did.
Old 2010-04-24, 22:09   Link #459
qwertyuiopz

i was rewatching and skipping through bits of the series and i still hate that fuuko appears out of no where and gets all the screen time while the rest of tomoyas friends disappear except for kyou
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 04:51   Link #460
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Unfortunately, that is one of the more realistic things in After Story. People move on; childhood friends grow and move apart. The only people with a reason to stay in the town are Fuko and Kyou, and so they are the only ones there as adults.
VRMN is offline   Reply With Quote