Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-12, 20:23   Link #241
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I think some of these things was already discussed in the ps3 thread.
The problem using the vita, or psp, as a ps3 controller is the latency and bandwidth for the connection between both devices. You can use the wifi, but that would mean that the you will have to use the ethernet port for internet connection. The bluetooth bandwidth won't be enough for streaming large amount of data. Of course instead of mirroring the Wii U, you can just sent some raw data that the PSP/Vita has to process themselves, but in that case it is highly likely that the latency will increase. If people are really obsess to use this kind of feature, best would be to use the DS3 as controller and Vita as a second screen, for lag insensitive functions.
Alternatively just use the usb ports, which would be the best solution.
If you have the PS3 connected via WiFi to a router you can have the Vita as well and as such you can send the date through there (which means that you can easily get a solid 4 to 8mbps which is enough to stream 720p).

If you want to go the Bluetooth route you get a thoretical peak of 2.1mbps which as you correctly put it isn't good for much in the way of video streaming.

In both cases the latency wouldn't go much above the 20/30ms tops and that's in a very low quality link, in reality it's more in the range of 5 to 15ms (if it weren't bluetooth wouldn't work for the Dualshock3/Sixaxis now would it?)

However you're missing a very important fact: unlike the Wii U remote the Vita is a very capable gaming system on it's own and from what I've seen Sony talk about such integration would most likely use the Vita to actually render the scenes instead of just streaming video (like I presume the Wii U will do it and how the current Remote Play functionality on the PSP works). If you don't have to stream a full 30/60 fps video and you just need to send packets of information in a client/server architecture than you can make due with a very low bandwidth link most of the times.

Take PC online gaming for example: I've played games from quake to counter strike for years and I've seen my connection rise from 56kbps do 30mbps and I've always been able to play reasonably well. Why's that? Because the amount of data traded between my computer and the servers was never that large. The most important thing for networked gaming is the network topology and how long stuff takes to reach the destination (latency) and that has more to do with raw processing power, distance and the broadcasting medium used than the amount of bandwidth available.

PS: Sorry for the long slightly off-topic post.
Old 2011-08-13, 02:32   Link #242
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
...In both cases the latency wouldn't go much above the 20/30ms tops and that's in a very low quality link, in reality it's more in the range of 5 to 15ms (if it weren't bluetooth wouldn't work for the Dualshock3/Sixaxis now would it?)

However you're missing a very important fact: unlike the Wii U remote the Vita is a very capable gaming system on it's own and from what I've seen Sony talk about such integration would most likely use the Vita to actually render the scenes instead of just streaming video (like I presume the Wii U will do it and how the current Remote Play functionality on the PSP works). If you don't have to stream a full 30/60 fps video and you just need to send packets of information in a client/server architecture than you can make due with a very low bandwidth link most of the times.

Take PC online gaming for example:...
Looping the control input via network is possible, but is it consumer friendly, i don't know. Technically anything is possible, see onlive. If your netcode is optimised, it can mask the effects of lag, no doubt, and i'm pretty sure sony have something in their sdk sorted for that.
BTW i was just listing the possibilities how the devices can communicate. That bit "raw data that the PSP/Vita has to process themselves", was referring what you pointed out that the Vita would data and render images itself. I'm pretty sure I said that this, and gave it as a reason why a simple port between both Wii U and PS3Vita would not be as straight forward as some people think it would be.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 15:21   Link #243
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Looping the control input via network is possible, but is it consumer friendly, i don't know. Technically anything is possible, see onlive. If your netcode is optimised, it can mask the effects of lag, no doubt, and i'm pretty sure sony have something in their sdk sorted for that.
BTW i was just listing the possibilities how the devices can communicate. That bit "raw data that the PSP/Vita has to process themselves", was referring what you pointed out that the Vita would data and render images itself. I'm pretty sure I said that this, and gave it as a reason why a simple port between both Wii U and PS3Vita would not be as straight forward as some people think it would be.
They could easily port from the Wii U: they just needed to write a small viewer on the Vita to show the video data, nothing fancy. Would it take full advantage of the Vita? Not a chance.

Also I don't think it's particularly un-friendly, just look at the Dualshock3/Sixaxis: they simplified the pairing process by using a USB cable to do it so they could easily do the same for the vita. It would actually be pretty kickass to have a small "PS3 Gamepad mode" on the Vita.

Also sorry for missing that reference to raw data.
Old 2011-08-14, 05:26   Link #244
Sides

Let sony know what gadgets you want for the Vita

Sony wants to know what peripherals you want for the Vita. Read more on andriasang.com

Direct link to sony's suggestion thing

I think the biggest joke about Wii U or PS3/vita is actually Apple, with their Ipad/Iphone + Apple TV combo.
So apparently Dual Screen is the next big thing in gaming. Nothing against apple btw.

Last edited by Sides; 2011-08-14 at 13:27.
Old 2011-08-16, 12:45   Link #245
Zexas

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/...nference-live/

I just knew it, that dual analog is a sent from heaven! . You could tell that the guy playing resistance is realy enjoying himself

Last edited by Zexas; 2011-08-16 at 12:59.
Zexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 14:05   Link #246
Sides

Nicked form neofag forum,
full PSVITA specs, source sys-con.com. I have no idea who they are and how reliable their source is.
If the specs are true, it kind of kills the ps3/360.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-08-16, 14:13   Link #247
Zexas

I like how they use the touch screen for throwing grenade

Oh and again that dual analog just lovely
Old 2011-08-16, 14:40   Link #248
Zexas

You just gotta love this

Old 2011-08-16, 14:41   Link #249
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While not really into shooters that's definitely a handy thing being able to just touch and fire off the grenade.

Some nice and fun videos for sure. So many ways for those guys to get killed .
Old 2011-08-16, 15:30   Link #250
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

11 new trailer

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 23:12   Link #251
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I can't wait to play Monster Hunter games without that stupid gesture for D-pad camera controlling.
Old 2011-08-23, 23:43   Link #252
Sides

PSV are getting a couple of Chunsoft games!
First one title is Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: Jyuichi-nin-me no Suspect. Kamaitachi no Yoru started off on the super famicom/snes as a sound novel and manged to appear on different devices through out time.
This game, the lastes installment, will also appear on PS3
Source andriasang.com

Second game is created by the team that made 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persona, Nine Doors. This title, Gyokugen Dasshutsu Adv: Zennin Shiboudes, will be also appearing on 3DS
source andriasang.com
We already have a thread for this game, click link to discuss the game

Little King's Story Sequel coming to PSV
Yup sequel is being published by Konami. The original game was developed by Cing & Town Factory, but unfortunately Cing is no more. Not 100% sure who is developing the game, but the IP is owned by MMV. Source andriasang.com
Old 2011-09-01, 02:53   Link #253
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works)
Dynasty Warriors Next (Tecmo Koei)
Asphalt Injection (Konami)
New Little King Story (Konami)
Mahjong Fight Club (Konami)
Shinobido 2 (Acquire)
Power Smash 4 (Sega)
Uncharted (Sony)
Gravity Daze (Sony)
Hot Shots Golf Next (Sony)
Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru (Chunsoft)
Disgaea 3 Return (Nippon Ichi)
Ridge Racer (Namco Bandai)
The booth will also have 18 unannounced Vita games.

Old 2011-09-02, 04:37   Link #254
Zexas

Sony Readying 80 PlayStation Vita Kiosks for Tokyo Game Show

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment is giving PlayStation Vita a huge push in its first public Japanese debut at the Tokyo Game Show. The company already said that it will have 31 playable Vita games in its booth. Today, CEO Hiroshi Kawano revealed at the Vita community blog that the booth will have over 80 Vita units available for sampling all those games.

The actual number of Vita games that will be on display is actually higher than the 31 playable titles. When you add in video-only games, the figure jumps up to around 40, Kawano said.
Ummh uh.... as much as I love the news that vita would be having tons of game, this might be a little bit overloaded.

During PS2 era I missed some of the best game because simply there're too many of them.... hope that it wouldn't be the same.
Old 2011-09-02, 04:50   Link #255
Westlo
Lets be reality

Well they all won't release @ the same time.. but it will be good to see how far alone some are.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-02, 04:58   Link #256
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Are PSP2 and Vita just the same thing?
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-02, 04:59   Link #257
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexas View Post

Ummh uh.... as much as I love the news that vita would be having tons of game, this might be a little bit overloaded.

During PS2 era I missed some of the best game because simply there're too many of them.... hope that it wouldn't be the same.
If you miss games, they are not exactly going to disappear. They can wait for you to re-discover.

On the other hand, we know what happens when a new Hand-held gets released with barely any blockbuster games...
Old 2011-09-02, 10:02   Link #258
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If you miss games, they are not exactly going to disappear. They can wait for you to re-discover.

On the other hand, we know what happens when a new Hand-held gets released with barely any blockbuster games...
Yep, I'm actually glad I can see someone think of it as "abit overloaded". All good for me, means I got choices.

Me likes choices!
Old 2011-09-02, 11:14   Link #259
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Are PSP2 and Vita just the same thing?
ehh yes, thought this already common knowledge by now

Old 2011-09-02, 14:45   Link #260
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexas View Post

I can relate to your feelings about this. Would be too bad about missing (even though can always go back and find them) some games. Still do agree it's probably for the best. Need to show off what this system can do and why people should want one. Give people a lot of good options to work with and they'll pick one up.

Tags
playstation, vita, vita tv