AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-15, 18:24   Link #1
ace firefist
Kerazy.com Editor

Send a message via MSN to ace firefist
Question a little tip for anbu&aone naruto subs.

I don't want sound like i'm bitching but could you guys use "genjitsu" instead of illusionary technique and so on...

Another example is "shadow replication technique" it would sound better if you use "kage bunshin no jutsu".

Its just that i'm and other people are used to it.
ace firefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 18:54   Link #2
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Yes indeed. In fact, just sub the whole episode in Japanese, because it would sound so much better that way.
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 18:58   Link #3
ace firefist
Kerazy.com Editor

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
Yes indeed. In fact, just sub the whole episode in Japanese, because it would sound so much better that way.

sorry to have offende you but like i said i'm not bitchin.

Jus sayin it would sound better if you did it that way just like [TW]

but there taking a long time because their busy.
Old 2004-05-15, 22:39   Link #4
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace firefist
sorry to have offende you but like i said i'm not bitchin.

Jus sayin it would sound better if you did it that way just like [TW]

but there taking a long time because their busy.
Everyone has different tastes. Don't you agree, however, than in an English fansub, technique names should be in English?
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 22:56   Link #5
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Kage bunshin no jutsu.

Well, it's kinda depend. it sounds ok to you because you have some understanding of japanese language. But there are people that's doesn't speak japanese at all, and the purpose of translation is to make them understand what it means.

It's kinda beat the purpose of translation if you just typing in the japanese words. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 03:32   Link #6
weyoun6
Romanji is evil

Send a message via ICQ to weyoun6
romanji is the deepest evil we face today. I really dont think there should be any non-translated words, and I hate romanji in any subs, its just distracting. Besides, what If someone less knowlegable than you wants to know what that move means.
weyoun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 04:08   Link #7
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

i personally like sticking with the name if it is for a move/technique and such, then put whatever it means in brackets somewhere for the first time or something :S
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 09:28   Link #8
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Pff! No way aone/anbu, don't do that! You gotta appeal to the REAL hardcore and leave the technique names in kanji! Oh yeah! -_-
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 09:39   Link #9
LytHka
Banned

This was a pointless complaint since ANBU/AonE is at their 83nd release of Naruto. Nuff' said.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 09:57   Link #10
ace firefist
Kerazy.com Editor

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
This was a pointless complaint since ANBU/AonE is at their 83nd release of Naruto. Nuff' said.
Its never tooo lateeeeee to change.
Old 2004-05-16, 11:08   Link #11
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
I dont think theyll change how they sub it because of how you and a few others feel. Dont mean to be rude but if you like how TW subs then wait for TW subs to be released.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 13:03   Link #12
ace firefist
Kerazy.com Editor

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpixel
I dont think theyll change how they sub it because of how you and a few others feel. Dont mean to be rude but if you like how TW subs then wait for TW subs to be released.

How many people do you need for a fansub group which only has one project.

I am.
Old 2004-05-16, 13:41   Link #13
LytHka
Banned

Why would you need to sub a dialogue that you can hear? I mean... you hear the characters say "kage no bunshin jutsu" or "genjutsu". The most logical thing to do is to translate those. This topic is just about another guy being a smartass because he switched from TW to ANBU/Aone.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 16:42   Link #14
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Why would you need to sub a dialogue that you can hear? I mean... you hear the characters say "kage no bunshin jutsu" or "genjutsu". The most logical thing to do is to translate those. This topic is just about another guy being a smartass because he switched from TW to ANBU/Aone.
personally, I still occasionally get genjutsu and taijutsu mixed up when I see them as genjutsu and taijutsu. While that's less and less over time, it's still something that I personallly experience. I won't have that momentary blip of confusion if someone says "Illusionary Techniques" and "Hand-to-hand combat" because those terms have a more salient meaning to me.

I'd rather not have to stop and re-figure it when someone says "Lee isn't good at genjutsu" and I have to stop and think of what that means.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 01:54   Link #15
Karala

While I do think things like nicknames and attacks (etc) should stay in Japanese, because that's their original name and they can sound sort of stupid in English, with an added translation of what they mean the first few times, that's just my opinion.

Over all I have no problem with it being in English, I'm sure many people would have no idea what they are saying otherwise and it is for people who speak English, not for people who speak Japanese, or have studied up on the intricacies that are the Naruto attack names.

Lets not forget, it really isn't that big of a deal, I mean you can hear them saying the words, just forget reading the subs when they call attacks, problem solved.
Karala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 03:56   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karala
While I do think things like nicknames and attacks (etc) should stay in Japanese, because that's their original name and they can sound sort of stupid in English, with an added translation of what they mean the first few times, that's just my opinion.

Over all I have no problem with it being in English, I'm sure many people would have no idea what they are saying otherwise and it is for people who speak English, not for people who speak Japanese, or have studied up on the intricacies that are the Naruto attack names.

Lets not forget, it really isn't that big of a deal, I mean you can hear them saying the words, just forget reading the subs when they call attacks, problem solved.
Now you mentioned it, I kinda agree some nicknames or names shouldn't be translated, specially people names. ^^

Sakura san = Miss Cherry Blossom

That kinda reminds me of those old kungfu movies that has really funny names translation. ^^
Old 2004-05-17, 04:10   Link #17
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

No one translates people's names. They might try to romanize them differently...for instance "Maiku" -> "Mike" but they wouldn't translate their name. Point being that they still sound the same and if I were to call out "Maiku" or "Mike" that person would probably respond. Whereas if someone called out "Miss Cherry Blossom", I highly doubt a person named "Sakura" would respond.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 18:14   Link #18
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

Quote:
How many people do you need for a fansub group which only has one project.
which group is this?
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 18:22   Link #19
MasafumiGotoh

Toriyamas World. But they do translations in certain manga.
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 22:10   Link #20
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Sexy no jutsu was an english term they come up with, right? I'm not sure if heard it right, I tough it sounds different in japanese.