Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-12-30, 21:45   Link #321
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Unless I am understanding it badly and author does not want for Taiga and Ryuuji to be a romantic couple at all. Just sort of soul buddies that do not really have much romantic feelings for each other - then yes, one volume is enough
Yes I think you are understanding it THAT badly. Volume 9 (which I just finished) had setup such that both Ryuji and Taiga had already poured their hearts out at each other (they had show each other their most vulnearable side, and each also readily accepts the other), and that Taiga is ready to tell Ryuji her true feelings (she is no longer going to run away from telling Ryuji that she loves him, she knows what Minorin really thinks so all barriers are gone). Ryuji is also ready to tell Taiga that he will not leave her no matter what and he had gotten over his crush with Minorin, it is a set deal. One passionate confession scene is enough to seal it all - unless they do a "cheap reset" trick to introduce a reboot of their relationship or throw dumb obstecles like more outside characters like other many shounen lovecoms like to do - which I really don't see it happening now, I don't think there's going to be anything more that is needed to emphasis how far and developed Taiga and Ryuji's relationship had gone. However if they do a cheap reset I'll be the first to torch the books.

Also as I've said, ToraDora is more written as an idealised, perfect dream couple relationship from a female POV where their mutual feelings and bonding is more important and deeper display of affection than the flirting/touching/kissing than you see from male authors, heck it even reminds me of some old Japanese and Korean dramas aimed at young-middle age women (which, not so incidentially, the author is in that age and sex bracket) in its way of treating romantic relationships where heart bonding between a couple is above everything else and being thought of as highly romantic. It is not a matter of what you want or need to see to as proof that Ryuji and Taiga are a "romantic couple" (which is quite a silly definition you made up, IMNSHO), but how the author herself treats and approaches this relationship and all signs points to that your expectations are not going to be met. Or again, look at my example of Clannad as another relationship that closely resembles what we see here in ToraDora. Tomoya and Nagaisa hardly even touch each other but can you doubt that they're have no romantic feelings but just soul buddies by your definition? If you want the author to write about those "romantic" things, than again like I said before, you're reading the wrong series and are having the wrong expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I wouldn't mind an in depth volume 10 and 11 .... but I also see the non-artistic (business) part of the energy curve for the series bearing down towards a synchronized ending for the books and series.
Actually if you get a chance to read the novels, it totally feels like volume 9 was just a first part of a two part arc and it does feel very strongly that it sets up for a strong second half finish in volume 10. Also with how long ago volume 9 was published (October) I would think the script would've be finished even earlier than that, thus I don't think the business side had that much of an effect on it. It all reads like a very well planned out ending.

The only way I can see a volume 11 would be a really long epilogue type of story describing how all the characters lives their life after they have sorted out their relationships, but I find it incredible difficult to imagine the main story arc (Taiga and Ryuji sorting out their feelings for each other) to be able to carry on for more than what's being set up for volume 10.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2008-12-30 at 22:14.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 22:08   Link #322
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Also as I've said, ToraDora is more written as an idealised, perfect dream couple relationship from a female POV where their mutual feelings and bonding is more important and deeper display of affection than the flirting/touching/kissing than you see from male authors, heck it even reminds me of some old Japanese and Korean dramas aimed at middle age women (which, not so incidentially, the author is in that age and sex bracket) in its way of treating romantic relationships where heart bonding between a couple is above everything else and being thought of as highly romantic. It is not a matter of what you want or need to see to proof that Ryuji and Taiga are a "romantic couple" (which is quite a silly definition you made up, IMNSHO), but how the author herself treats and approaches this relationship and all signs points to that your expectations are not going to be met. If you want the author to write about those "romance" things, than again like I said before, you're reading the wrong series and are having the wrong expectations.
It would be good end to have those two as a couple bound in a non-physical attraction way. Of course , physical is good, but I always though than it created a week bound betweem peoples, than it need something else.
Old 2008-12-30, 22:10   Link #323
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Actually if you get a chance to read the novels, it totally feels like volume 9 was just a first part of a two part arc and it does feel very strongly that it sets up for a strong second half finish in volume 10. Also with how long ago volume 9 was published (October) I would think the script would've be finished even earlier than that, thus I don't think the business side had that much of an effect on it. It all reads like a very well planned out ending.

The only way I can see a volume 11 would be a really long epilogue type of story describing how all the characters lives their life after they have sorted out their relationships, but I find it incredible difficult to imagine the main story arc (Taiga and Ryuji sorting out their feelings for each other) to be able to carry on for more than what's being set up for volume 10.

I personally wouldn't mind an after-story. There's really not much of a reason to drag on the main arc of course.

I've been hearing a couple of different interepretations about the "climax" that's described though in the preview for volume 10. It seems like Dengeki Bunko has some kind of tradition of using a catch phrase like "ついに完結" or something like that. I think it's highly unlikely for there to be a volume 11, but you never know.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 22:25   Link #324
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
As I said before - non-physical relationship is very dysfuncytional. We all can blabber about idealism and romatism in poetry but real relationship is combination of both.

It is not skipping flirting and touching. Love consist from both spiritual and physical closeness, if you think that only spiritual is enough then you have either never been in a relationship or still lost in your idealistic fantasies.

Love cannot exist without both of them.

Plato was actually angry when he was misunderstood about Platonic Love, as Platonic Love was part of actual physical love. Anyone readings his Dialog Feast can see that as this is where he discusses love, platonic love and the eidos of Love.

He believed that those who are trying to approach love with only spiritual bond are just as much wrong as those who are approaching it with only physical bond.

Real love cannot function without these two going up together. If the author really ignores the physical part of relationship then Taiga and Ryuuji never really love each other. They are just spiritual buddies. Not lovers.

Thats why the whole issue of later volume becomes artificial as simply the main point of their relationship is already reached - their spiritual bond. What we see there is just needless running around. Since if it true what you say and I misunderstand everything, for the author it is spiritual bond that is only important here, but then she should not bring the emotions that are part of physical connection in as leading to the climax here.

If she wants to create a mix, then she should play more importance to the physical part as well and not randomly throw it as a final climax problem, which should not be a problem at all if the main focus is really spiritual connection.

Right now, if it really it is the way you look, and I misunderstood it completely, the author is showing how another dysfunctional relationship is build.

Without physical closeness it will never be love.

As I said in another thread - you cannot say that one thing is more important than the other. Without spiritual bond you will have sex, not love, without physical closeness (and flirting) you will have a companionship but not love too.

Love is like a tree. For it to grow it needs both sun and water. With only sun (spiritual bond), the tree will fade away, with only water (physical closeness) - it will never grow. Love is keeping a mix of them both.

For me it feels like the author is still stuck in the idealistic romance fantasies of her own. Sad, as with this Taiga's and Ryuuji's relationship is doomed, or at leats - will never become a love.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-12-30 at 22:39.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 22:29   Link #325
apr
Pedestrian

Have spoiler tags gone out of style? I was planning to write something deep and brilliant about the series, but this flu is turning my brain into snotty mush, so it will have to wait.

Spoiler for novels 9-10:

Uhoh, I think I may have contradicted myself (regarding "move on").
Old 2008-12-30, 23:33   Link #326
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I realize I'm being a stupid 'shipper here, but surely Ami is ten times the woman that spoiled brat will ever be?
While Ami may come off as more mature, I think the thing that sets Taiga and Ami apart, and even to a certain degree why even Ami herself is drawn towards Taiga is the level of commitment and determination that Taiga has but Ami doesn't. Ami sort of just dips her toes into things, she's not as committed to her cause as Taiga would do. Taiga's emotions are very honest and even extreme, when she likes you, even as a friend, she would do *literally* everything she can for you no matter how tough things gets or how much it hurts herself and asks for nothing in return even though she is far from being strong enough to be alone (such as how she was willing to put her ownself in danger and gave her bastard of a father a third chance because of Ryuji, also volume 8-9 completely highlights this side of her, the way she stood by Ryuji in volume 9 despite her own situations was absolutely beautiful). Ami still has that little self-protection instinct in her that keeps her from totally opening up or being 100% committing - she had doubts and her pride sometimes gets in the way, and also in a sense she opens herself up was just her trying to get people to notice that she herself wants/needs help. Taiga otoh doesn't do that, Taiga would rather herself suffer than let others worry about her, she would cry in a dark corner and then come out smiling at you, while Ami would throw a bit of a tandum to signal that she's not happy and wants attention. Their animal-inspired nickname seems to reflect this as well - a chiwuawua would cuddle up to its owner for comfort and protection but a tiger never shows its weakness even when it is hurt. Both Ami and Taiga has good intentions and both do something for the group, but it is this quality of Taiga's that is equal if not better than Ami's.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2008-12-30 at 23:45.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 02:20   Link #327
wistfulloner

Taiga might have grown that sort of maturity throughout the series, it's not really in-built in her from the very beginning. At the start she would dish out her agony in front of Ryuji, not really in the form of crying-in-a-corner. It's later in the series that she matures because of her interactions with other characters.

I like your comparison for the chihuahua and the tiger houkoholic, it really defines clearly how the two behave in general.

@Darknemo2000, I don't understand your deep "hatred" towards JC staff. Toradora! is redemption enough for their past failures in my opinion; if you really dislike this studio so much, it's a big mystery why you're still following this series. They have created some good ones, like Honey & Clover as well.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 04:23   Link #328
typhonsentra

Back to talking about volume 6 (I woke up in the middle of the night and am still thinking about it)...

Spoiler:

Keep in mind this is not a critique of the quality of the book/writing.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 05:39   Link #329
roan

Your reading of it is kind of distorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Back to talking about volume 6 (I woke up in the middle of the night and am still thinking about it)...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
And onto Ami...

First thing, what the hell was with people who've read these books ahead of the B-T translation and claimed Ami never developed strong feelings for Ryuuji? Because by this point that seems to of been a bold-faced lie.
I never said that. More like Darknemo did, but eh.
Spoiler:

Last edited by roan; 2008-12-31 at 06:07.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 06:22   Link #330
typhonsentra

Spoiler:
Old 2008-12-31, 07:15   Link #331
Darknemo2000

Spoiler for Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
@Darknemo2000, I don't understand your deep "hatred" towards JC staff. Toradora! is redemption enough for their past failures in my opinion; if you really dislike this studio so much, it's a big mystery why you're still following this series. They have created some good ones, like Honey & Clover as well.
And I do not understand your 'affection' towards them either. Specially when you are referring to the future and claim they have capable hands on doing original stuff when everything is against that - in Toradora their only really more or less original episode was in the beginning where Taiga was being Louise, that not so many liked.

And when you look at their original attempts on other series it is far from convincing about them having 'capable hands' about it.

Saying that for you it is mystery why I follow the series though dislike the studio a lot, is similar like saying why you are living in the country if you voted for different president and never liked the one who was elected.

You have very little choices left, either stay or leave the country (or watch or drop the anime), but because you like the country you are living in (and like the series that are getting animated) you have your choice possibilities limited.

Give me a different anime studio doing anime of Toradora and I would gladly switch to them, but since it is that JC Staff there isn't much choice for me left as I still want to see series animated. Though I would be more than happy if it was not JC Staff, believe me.

H&Clover is already old story - their latest masterpieces are ZnT2, ZnT3 and SnS2 (and for me Kimikisss though it is weirdly popular here, compared to how it is in japanese forums, but again I think it is probably because there are little fans of the game as only very little played it to begin with and when you have nothing to compare it with, you think that the one at the hands is best).

I have no choice but to admit that Toradora is doing fine, yet it could be better as their pacing is still ridiculous.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-12-31 at 07:51.
Old 2008-12-31, 08:33   Link #332
wistfulloner

If you're gonna view it that way, I can't stop you, but if even you say the first "season" is doing fine, why must you automatically assume the following episodes will be lousy just because JC staff is handling it? If it's doing fine, why would you want another studio to do it? How do you know this dream studio of yours won't screw the whole series up even worse?

H&C will still be a good story regardless of time, compared to your so-called "masterpieces". I don't see anything wrong with matching that to JC staff's potential.
Old 2008-12-31, 08:39   Link #333
Darknemo2000

Lets just say that when you make a lot of stuff some just happen to make some better than others.

If during a basketball game I shoot 40 times, naturally, I can make some of those shots connect, right? But if I shoot below 15% and my teams looses miserably but I still manage to make near twenty points, am I a good player? Hardly. Even if one or two shots were rather spectacular, it doesn't change the fact that I am a bad player.

When you look at the numbers of what they have created and the actual quality from all works you can see that it is average at best studio, that shouldn't be allowed to make sequels.
Old 2008-12-31, 09:02   Link #334
wistfulloner

So, you're trying to tell me that Toradora! is a good show by chance, just like the lucky 15% shots in basketball? A studio should not be allowed to make sequels to it's own successful anime series because it's past efforts were bad?

If you take a shot, it happens in a second. If you make a second season for an anime, it takes months. You may screw up in one second, but you have so many seconds in a month.
Old 2008-12-31, 09:20   Link #335
typhonsentra

Isn't Index a decent adaptation?
Old 2008-12-31, 10:01   Link #336
Darknemo2000

The source is bad already (Index is far from being very great novel series) so it being decent does not mean much - not to mention they still waste too much time on talking or animating useless scenes. Actually it would be good a Toradora director to place for Index because he likes skipping scenes with ridiculous pacing and Index badly needs quite a few scenes skipped.

As compared to Toradora it is filled with a lot of useless dialogge and monologe. But it must be the curse of the studio, that the series where they should not skip that much stuff around, they skip, while the series that needs skipping - they do not.

Wist, when they will make a good sequel then maybe we can talk about it again, so far though all of their efforts were within the amplitude of bad to worse.

So far there are only zero's marking their sequel efforts.

If players is bad at shooting, and cannot make any shots in the second half, would you tell him to shoot or bench him?

If you are a very bad coach you would tell him to shoot. If you are an average coach you would bech him, if you are good coach that does not like to break players confidence, you would keep on the court but tell him not to shoot unless it is 99% sure shot (like alone from under the basket).

But what if the player like JC Staff keeps shooting from whatever position it has thinking that all shots are 99% sure despite his latest ones not even touching the rim (ZnT2, Znt3) and so far hasnt made a single shot in, what to do...

I'd rather bench him and not see him making any more horible shots with poor shot selection and completely kill the game.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-12-31 at 10:20.
Old 2008-12-31, 13:08   Link #337
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

JC Staff really does have a mixed track record (some really good and some bad) -- but historically its biggest problems arise when it departs from the source material.

However, in the last couple of years I've found it more informative to look at the actual names on the team and their past credits than to use the studio itself as a predictor.

Also, I've found departing from the source material to result in failure or mediocrity for the most part regardless of the studio. There are some jewels... but considerably less than 50% pull it off.
Old 2008-12-31, 14:33   Link #338
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Also, I've found departing from the source material to result in failure or mediocrity for the most part regardless of the studio. There are some jewels... but considerably less than 50% pull it off.
Only studio I can think of that can pull it off is BONES... and this is because they have a tendency to depart from the source material long before it would actually be needed, in order to maintain internal consistency.

The problem with JC Staff being behind this is that they inevitably seem to think that original content is a good idea, and that their writers are artistic geniuses. Which, you know, they aren't.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 13:25   Link #339
gengar

erm i kinda new ..
does these novel have pics inside them?
cos e one i m reading >shana< has ..
do toradora has too? cos if have isit ok to post them hre?
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 13:37   Link #340
typhonsentra

Yeah, pretty much all light novels have illustrations. The only one I've read without any was Welcome to the NHK.

Tags
light novels, shounen