AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-31, 17:55   Link #221
CWW
Lurker

Get a room you two! The high school president was the only girl this episode who wasn't incredibly mean. High school girls can be so vicious! She did start a fight, but to be fair the guy clearly provoked her. He kind of had it coming. The first and last segment were kind of duds though. I can't believe they reused that joke as I could see it a mile away the second time. I'm also probably the only one who doesn't like the girls are funky bit. They try too hard to break the fourth wall. Glad Karasawa put them in their rightful place. Brofist!
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 18:09   Link #222
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I like HSGaF because their behavior does more to puncture the bubble of superiority HS girls have about themselves than anything the boys do to them, even Karasawa.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 18:11   Link #223
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
^^What are you saying, Nago is clearly the best girl in the last episode. Sure she had some harsh words, but those are necessary to deliver the message. Also, is it bad that I'm actually a bit shocked that she's still high-school age? I thought she was at least college age...I'm being shallow here, but she really looks better when she dress up like she did with the convex mirror.
Old 2012-01-31, 18:11   Link #224
Elestia

Probably my favorite episode so far. Ishida playing the school council president was just the best part. Ironically, it happened when the episode was not focusing on the main trio.
Old 2012-01-31, 18:12   Link #225
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I don't know about you guys, but one of the main 'attraction' of this episode was seeing the girls get pwned for once in comedy Too often are guys depicted as... Well, as what the girls have described in this episode So it's good to see something different

And lets face it- Highschool girls are usually less bishoujo and more like Chocolate-hungry Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
^Ishida Akira, most famously know for Kaworu in Eva. He's always playing the snarky bishi.
And somehow the only big name male VA that still has a role in H-OVAs
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 18:15   Link #226
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
^^What are you saying, Nago is clearly the best girl in the last episode. Sure she had some harsh words, but those are necessary to deliver the message. Also, is it bad that I'm actually a bit shocked that she's still high-school age? I thought she was at least college age...I'm being shallow here, but she really looks better when she dress up like she did with the convex mirror.
I thought she was older too. And I agree Nago-san is the nicest girl in the series, and really the only one free of artifice. She actually seems to take a sort of Nee-san role with Tadakuni, who's probably the most genuine (read, least ironic) character in the cast.
Old 2012-01-31, 18:19   Link #227
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Lol, this didn't take long at all

Old 2012-01-31, 18:28   Link #228
warita
Dai-Youkai

I strongly disliked the way the girls were behaving in this episode..... but thats just me, I never was a friend of violent humor.

This is a series about hormon driven and girls deprived male teenagers... so i think the girls should play a minor role in this anime. Lets hope the next episode is low on tsundere characters.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 18:33   Link #229
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I strongly disliked the way the girls were behaving in this episode..... but thats just me, I never was a friend of violent humor.

This is a series about hormon driven and girls deprived male teenagers... so i think the girls should play a minor role in this anime. Lets hope the next episode is low on tsundere characters.
Lol, what tsundere characters?

And as you should probably be able to tell from this episode- The guys aren't THAT hormone driven and girls deprived.
Old 2012-01-31, 18:40   Link #230
DorkingtonPugsly

This was a good one, and my favorite part was probably the greeting table scene. Yeah that bit was quite spot on! And I did enjoy the new characters a lot, but in the preview did I see more new characters? If so, I'm again, excited for next week's episode. It really helps me get through the first half of the week!
Old 2012-01-31, 20:31   Link #231
Qilin
Romanticist

This is probably the first episode that didn't have a skit containing the main trio (Takenori, Hidenori, and Yoshitake), but the North Sanada High Student Council more than made up for that deficit. The president, with his playful heckling, and the vice-pesident, who looks like a delinquent, made for some good humor (at the expense of the pride of a few girls).

But really. The entire episode struck me as a huge "Take That!" towards the trend of overflowing High School Girl-themed titles in anime today, that's mostly in the last skit though. The boy's side is horribly underrepresented, so now we have this. That last skit, for instance, was satiric comedy gold.

Thus far, Karasawa is standing out as the most awesome character in the cast. Not only can he read the mood ("Can you provide some BGM?"), he even knows the secret to pacifying hostile high school girls ("Sweets!").

My only concern...
Spoiler for ep4:
Old 2012-01-31, 21:10   Link #232
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
But really. The entire episode struck me as a huge "Take That!" towards the trend of overflowing High School Girl-themed titles in anime today, that's mostly in the last skit though. The boy's side is horribly underrepresented, so now we have this. That last skit, for instance, was satiric comedy gold.

My only concern...
Spoiler for ep4:
I agree, but I think the whole series is a thumb in the eye to the trends you're talking about. That's why I didn't mind so much that the girls mostly hijacked the episode, because the point was to satirize that avalanche of series. That, and because it was funny.

As to Tadakuni, I agree, he did seem very sad and lonely. As I mentioned earlier, he's the least ironic character on the show - the closest thing to a sympathetic character, and certainly the most sensitive. I'm of two minds about this - on the one hand, even acerbic comedies can sometimes be well-served by a little bit of heart. OTOH, the strength of a really dark character comedy like "Seinfeld" is that it pulls no punches and brooks no sentiment. I like Tadakuni, and if he becomes too pathetic and isolated, that could put a damper on the fun a bit. I rather hope this was just a one-episode gag and the trio is back together next week. It does add to the authenticity, because when you're a teenager there's not much more upsetting than the notion that your friends are having fun and you're not invited.
Old 2012-01-31, 21:33   Link #233
Kakkou
Tch.

Sanada North Student Council President for MVP. I loved every moment he was featured. I'm hoping FukuJun's character will be as funny as him (C'mon Sunrise, bring him out already!).

Much funnier episode overall than 2 & 3. I like the growing cast of characters since it helps bring in fresher jokes. As amusing as the show's attempts at satirical revenge on high school girl anime by making them look really really awful may be, I hope they don't keep pulling that schtick too much or else it'll end up going from satire to just trying too hard to be funny.

That said, I still laughed at this week's Funky Girls skit because of how ridiculous it was. Yu Kobayashi and her animal screeches never cease to amuse.

Quote:
My only concern...
Spoiler for ep4:
I really doubt they'll go that way considering it's genre and 10 pages per chapter manga origins. This show doesn't appear to be anything more than a gag series so it'd be odd for them to do anything that remotely resembles development or more. It's probably best if it stayed that way too.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:09   Link #234
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As to Tadakuni, I agree, he did seem very sad and lonely. As I mentioned earlier, he's the least ironic character on the show - the closest thing to a sympathetic character, and certainly the most sensitive. I'm of two minds about this - on the one hand, even acerbic comedies can sometimes be well-served by a little bit of heart. OTOH, the strength of a really dark character comedy like "Seinfeld" is that it pulls no punches and brooks no sentiment. I like Tadakuni, and if he becomes too pathetic and isolated, that could put a damper on the fun a bit. I rather hope this was just a one-episode gag and the trio is back together next week. It does add to the authenticity, because when you're a teenager there's not much more upsetting than the notion that your friends are having fun and you're not invited.
Yeah. I really hope that they don't drag the joke past its prime. It isn't a very funny joke to begin with (if it was even a joke in the first place).

But my problem with this is if they just hand wave this in the coming episode, the (semi-)serious scenes with Tadakuni in this episode would have served no purpose, wasting valuable time for precious jokes in the process.

In the end though, I'd prefer this to remain the shameless satiric high school comedy I fell in love with three episodes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
I really doubt they'll go that way considering it's genre and 10 pages per chapter manga origins. This show doesn't appear to be anything more than a gag series so it'd be odd for them to do anything that remotely resembles development or more. It's probably best if it stayed that way too.
I wouldn't discount the possibility, but yeah. I don't think they'd do anything of the sort, but, like I said above, that would make some scenes in the episode feel rather out-of-place.

Or maybe that's the joke? Well, in a show like this, I wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed the case.
Old 2012-01-31, 22:12   Link #235
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
I wouldn't discount the possibility, but yeah. I don't think they'd do anything of the sort, but, like I said above, that would make some scenes in the episode feel rather out-of-place.

Or maybe that's the joke? Well, in a show like this, I wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed the case.
I do think that's the joke or at least a buildup for another gag they have in store next week.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:18   Link #236
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
"When can we see the girl in the mirror again?"
Old 2012-01-31, 22:48   Link #237
karuroso

probably never but I will never give up!
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:54   Link #238
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Anther funny ep. a great fight with some better fighting music
Old 2012-01-31, 23:50   Link #239
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Just caught up with this and given I don't have much time for new anime this has now pushed few new animes onto my "will watch later" list now, it's just too funny to pass up!

The whole boys vs girls thing of ep 4 was hilarious, one where the guys actually getting the upper hand in very funny and witty ways.
I loved the reception switch that was comedy gold

Like alot of others, this does remind me of my youth and the stupid and silly stuff I done.

And indeed Karasawa is awesome
He's that type of character that you want to see more of but know that if you do they would lose the charm they hold cause it's exactly the small doses of them that make them so great.
Old 2012-02-01, 01:04   Link #240
HandofFate

Apple cheeks confuse me, i can't imagine what apple cheeks are like in real life..is it real? I can at least imagine blue hair and stuff..

Tags
comedy, satire