Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-07-08, 01:09   Link #2441
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Both endings being different (as in, reaching a different conclusion, not necessarily spelling out different events and arriving at the same conclusion(*)) would make the whole thing completely ridiculous. Throughout the series Anno gives enough hints for us to believe that he makes a moral choice regarding the Instrumentality: that he thinks it's fundamentally flawed. Shinji accepting the Instrumentality would serve no purpose whatsoever, and Anno suddenly changing his mind in the space of three years would be even more ridiculous.

(*) Though I would actually go ahead and argument that both endings depict exactly the same events, but that's besides the point.
Then why do the official books call the Shinji at the end of the TV series, "The Complemented Shinji"? Why is the TV ending set in 2016, but EoE in 2015?
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 22:18   Link #2442
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Then why do the official books call the Shinji at the end of the TV series, "The Complemented Shinji"? Why is the TV ending set in 2016, but EoE in 2015?
The problem is that this just says that the endings are not the same, but that doesn't mean that they still don't reach the same conclusion.

I think there's enough evidence out there to say that the two endings are not exactly concurrent. That's for sure.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 10:29   Link #2443
Airi
White Empress
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Airi
You know, I expected some kind of trailer for Rebuild 3.0.
Is it not out yet?
Airi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 04:02   Link #2444
Greg88

Well, there is the trailer from the end of the movie, AND, Hideaki Anno's official page at Khara's site has been updated with a biogrpahy in English, which states, quote on quote:
Quote:
At this time, Anno has thoroughly immersed himself in the production of the next installment of the Eva film project.
So yeah, 3.0 is officially in the works.

Also, since there hasn't been enough bitching in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another user on another forum
But in any event, and I think I may have said this before -- Rebuild is trying to do too much with too many characters while still being Shinji-centric. I was really impressed at how Anno developed so many characters in the series to the extent that he did, and the series had more running time than the films. Rebuild made the mistake of adding Mari and whatever her subplot is supposed to be along with the enhancing of Shinji's daddy issues while still trying to maintain the characters of Asuka and Misato and......... its simply too much. Rebuild is viewer overload, cinema for those with ADD. We get characters, just enough development for a tinge of symptahy to be felt; it's a writing nightmare. As I said before, it's like Eva does Twilight with its interesting, superifical supporting cast that is miserably underdeveloped.
Perhaps not so harshly, but i agree with him.
Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 05:48   Link #2445
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I can't believe he dares to compare NGE to Twilight, but OTOH, I agree with him.

Though I blame the movie format plus what I already said about Mari.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 22:59   Link #2446
krln99

LMAO! I wouldn't say the new series has devolved to Twilight-like depths, but the more blatant and overt set-up of the "love triangle" was quite noticeable. I'm not sure if it was done for expediency or fan-service, but it might be a little bit of both. With only 4 films to work with, as cheap as it is, "boy doing dumb/dangerous stuff for sake of girl" works and IRL is quite believable, even for the most emotionally messed up of individuals.

I'm still intrigued about how this all plays out. Mari was kind of a waste unless she has some other purpose in the next 2 films, and I it appears that Kaworu will probably be an outright baddie, which is fine by me, cuz I always felt the relationship between him and Shinji was overblow. Honestly, in the original, if they wanted Shinji to go nuts, they should have made him kill Rei/Asuka/Misato (which would have nicely dovetailed with those mommy/Fruedian issues). Ah, but I'm digressing here...

Asuka is also a waste if she doesn't come back strong in parts 3 and 4, which I'm hoping she will.
krln99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 02:27   Link #2447
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Hey, at least I can watch Twilight and laugh (Though, I'm laughing at it). Rebuild just makes me mad and sad.
Old 2010-07-20, 21:50   Link #2448
RisArk

Quote:
Asuka is also a waste if she doesn't come back strong in parts 3 and 4, which I'm hoping she will.
Asuka's always been a waste. That's nothing new.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 23:41   Link #2449
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg88 View Post
Well, there is the trailer from the end of the movie, AND, Hideaki Anno's official page at Khara's site has been updated with a biogrpahy in English, which states, quote on quote:

So yeah, 3.0 is officially in the works.

Also, since there hasn't been enough bitching in this thread:

Perhaps not so harshly, but i agree with him.
Wow, now that's harsh. But I guess the movie format is gonna make it hard for us to get into the character study that was the original.

Interestingly, I haven't been able to get any of my rl friends to give a damn about the Rebuild series. I generally get the same response-- Evangelion didn't need a remake and merely prettied up stuff isn't gonna cut it. I wouldn't say they are hardcore fans either, they just kinda liked it and felt that it wrapped itself well enough that they didn't need to see any more. TBH, it's a feeling I can't help shake off either. I'd really like to say something to the contrary, but I can't think of anything of substance really. But they have 2 more movies and part of me still wants to see the new path-- there's still a chance to surprise me. At the very least, the new angel fights do keep me amused and there will definitely be more.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 01:17   Link #2450
Greg88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
Have i ranted about how i hate the usual method of storytelling where the trained professional is overshadowed by those who have "guts" or "power of love" or any other bullshit like that? Because i hate that. God i hate that so much, makes me want to tear my hair out by the palmload. Especially if the "exemplary" pro is female and the lead character is male.

Well, at least NGE could make that interesting by adding in psychological issues and the need to "let yourself regress" in order for the Evas to really work. With Rebuild, i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by Greg88; 2010-07-21 at 01:34.
Old 2010-07-21, 08:14   Link #2451
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
If that's not a nice way to start a flame war, I don't know what is.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 08:40   Link #2452
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
I just finished watching 2.22, my mind was blown, what did I just watch?
I've watched the original NGE, EOE, 1.11, 2.22 and I'm still confused.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2010-07-21, 08:48   Link #2453
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agito Akiyama View Post
I just finished watching 2.22, my mind was blown, what did I just watch?
I've watched the original NGE, EOE, 1.11, 2.22 and I'm still confused.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
1.11 is just a sort of director's cut version of 1.00, nothing more. Same for 2.22 and 2.00. As for the sequel/prequel thing it's still in the open but I'm guessing it's no such thing and it's just a simple reboot (even if I'm one of those who would love to see it as a sequel).
Old 2010-07-21, 18:51   Link #2454
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Flame bait. What's next? Shinji is an emo pilot and should man up? Might as well go all the way if you are going there at all.
Old 2010-07-22, 02:25   Link #2455
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Flame bait. What's next?
Kaji smokes too much. What kind of role model is he for our children?
Old 2010-07-22, 02:41   Link #2456
RisArk

Did Asuka have the least Angel kills? Jesus christ, stop going Eva-lyzing on every word in the dictionary. Half-killed 2 Angels, took out by Bardiel, took out by Zeruel, and eliminated by mindscrew Angel. She's always been the "irony" pilot of the series, being a supposed prodigy yet being the most useless of the 3 fighters.

Quote:
Have i ranted about how i hate the usual method of storytelling where the trained professional is overshadowed by those who have "guts" or "power of love" or any other bullshit like that? Because i hate that. God i hate that so much, makes me want to tear my hair out by the palmload. Especially if the "exemplary" pro is female and the lead character is male.
The hell is half of that? You do realize Rei has far more kills and assists, right? She's a trained professional, too.

And Shinji is by definition an ace just as much as Asuka, since synch ratio=skill.

Quote:
Interestingly, I haven't been able to get any of my rl friends to give a damn about the Rebuild series. I generally get the same response-- Evangelion didn't need a remake and merely prettied up stuff isn't gonna cut it. I wouldn't say they are hardcore fans either, they just kinda liked it and felt that it wrapped itself well enough that they didn't need to see any more. TBH, it's a feeling I can't help shake off either. I'd really like to say something to the contrary, but I can't think of anything of substance really. But they have 2 more movies and part of me still wants to see the new path-- there's still a chance to surprise me. At the very least, the new angel fights do keep me amused and there will definitely be more.
I've had quite the opposite. Over a dozen people I've showed Rebuild, and they loved it. Maybe it's because they had the right things in mind: it's a movie, not a series and it's only half done.
Old 2010-07-22, 09:24   Link #2457
Greg88

Quote:
The hell is half of that? You do realize Rei has far more kills and assists, right? She's a trained professional, too.

And Shinji is by definition an ace just as much as Asuka, since synch ratio=skill.
Oh sure, in the series. There, it was made into a point that Asuka is plain delusional and overtly proud of her meager achievements.

OTOH, Rebuild, from the same perspective, is just fucking ridiculous.

Asuka gets introduced by Itano-circusing her way through a flurry of projectiles without taking a scratch, and taking out the core of an Angel, and i'm going to quote someone from Evageeks here, with some "unstabilized marksmanship that makes Robin Hood look like a punk bitch", while it took Shinji two attempts to make one clean hit on Ramiel's core while on the ground, using high end sniping equipment just one movie earlier.

They even throw in a military rank to show that she is supposed to be far better trained than any of the other Children, dropping multiple hints that she most likely earned her place to pilot Eva through some form of competitive examination (aside from her own lines, Gendo even remarks that "the pilot of unit-02 is going through final qualification exams in Germany" in 1.0, during a discussion with Seele).

Also, in Rebuild, synch-ratios and psychological health aren't really shown to effect the pilots ability. There is no quantitative measure of piloting skill in which Shinji or anyone else is shown to surpass Auska.

And yet, what does this all lead to? We get a speech from Rei about how Eva is "the mirror of your heart", and so, all that really matters is in your heeeart! ~insert cheesy music~ Even if you have superior training, it means nothing!

so, the main reason for Asuka getting sidelined is to deliver a horribly cliched Aesop about teamwork and love and bla bla bla.

I get it that it's a better choice to go for the sentimental side of things by showing the hero overcoming odds through.... nothing at all really, besides deus ex machina and being able to scream like they're passing a kidney stone (or at least, that's what the fandom wants to see. I'm giving a pass to the writers until the final movies come out). But i guess that just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I like the concept of one earning his/her stripes better. Maybe i'm just too old and jaded.

BTW, if i recall correctly, Rei got to do jack shit with her Eva piloting in Rebuild, aside from throwing herself in the way of danger to assist another. So yeah, you can extent this rant to her as well.
Old 2010-07-22, 21:30   Link #2458
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Whatever you think of Rebuild, this is GUARANTEED to make you D'awwwww.

Old 2010-07-22, 22:07   Link #2459
RisArk

Quote:
Maybe i'm just too old and jaded.
Most likely the problem. I have a friend that hates all Super Robot shows in general, because he doesn't like non-cynical personalities.

Quote:
And yet, what does this all lead to? We get a speech from Rei about how Eva is "the mirror of your heart", and so, all that really matters is in your heeeart! ~insert cheesy music~ Even if you have superior training, it means nothing!
Superior training has never been a factor in Eva Every time Asuka is in a fight after bomb-angel, she's either defeated soundly or dead. So it's not like it's anything new.

Quote:
so, the main reason for Asuka getting sidelined is to deliver a horribly cliched Aesop about teamwork and love and bla bla bla.
The main reason is to 1) replace Touji because of circumstances regarding time in the movies and 2) We don't know yet. Hey, if she wasn't the pilot replacing Touji, she'd still have her head chopped off again like in the series
Old 2010-07-23, 02:39   Link #2460
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think End of Evangelion's fight scene with Asuka contradicts your way of thinking (Even though in the end it was all for nothing, but hey her power ran out).

Anyhow... Asuka's failure as pilot in the second half of the Evangelion series is critical to developing her character, as well as her relationship with Shinji. Although it seems that they wanted to completely scratch her entire character in Rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Kaji smokes too much. What kind of role model is he for our children?
Yeah! And what about Misato!?! That slut has been sleeping around everywhere and even wants to get it on with a 14 year old boy! The things they show kids these days.

Tags
movie, remake