AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-06, 13:12   Link #201
Sakome

Thank you 4Tran for the chart and list. Though on the official web-site I saw that they do have their ranks listed and its based on the British Royal Airforce, I believe the ranks you listed are about the U.S Airforce equivalant though.

Yeager - Flight Lieutenant
Lucchini - Pilot Officer
Clostermann - Flying Officer
Bishop - Sergeant
Sakamoto - Major or Squadron Leader
Miyafuji - Sergeant
Wilcke - Wing Commander
Barkhorn - Flight Lieutenant
Hartmann - Flying Officer
Juutilainen - Pilot Officer
Litvyak (MiG-60) - Flying Officer

Something interesting to note is that Wing Commander actually outranks a Squadron Leader. Wilcke seemed to be in charge during that brief skirmish but Sakamato is definetely a capable officer herself.

I could be wrong on this but I believe the minimum rank for a Pilot is a Sergeant. Due to the experience, knowledge needed to fly as well as that pay equivalant. Another darker note is that they give them the rank of Sergeant due to if they were captured in enemy territory the enemy would treat them better, higher rank places more importance and information *or so the enemy thought*. During World War 2, they gave bombing/fighter pilot crews all the rank of sergeant when they found out the Germans treated Sergeants better.

I'm surprised Perrine is based on a French pilot. I thought from her clothes and her kind of Ojou personality it would have been British. I also think its funny that the American one has the biggest boobs .
Sakome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 15:19   Link #202
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
That's very interesting. What'd also be interesting to know is the average kill/mission ratio, especially since the article mentions how German Aces flew until they died, while experienced Allied pilots were regulated to training duties. Realistically, I suspect pilots wouldn't get more than a few per mission due to ammo/fuel limitations.
There's no such thing as an average ratio, the vast majority of pilots never got any kills at all. Looking at Hartmann's figures, he got 352 kills in 1404 missions, but there's enough variation between the combat environments that making comparisons to other pilots in other militaries doesn't really work.

The reason why the Germans have such lofty kill records is because they were usually up against very green VVS pilots. Moreover, after the Battle of Britain, there were far fewer Luftwaffe aircraft for the Western Allies to shoot down as they stayed on the strategic defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They seem to be launching conventional planes at the end of the episode. Apparently, for this show at least, the military isn't satisified with the idea of leaving the fate of the world in the hands of a few teenagers.
Yeah, but you know those Zeros are only there to let the Neuroi show off how powerful it is, and that the aircraft are going be shown as completely ineffectual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakome View Post
Thank you 4Tran for the chart and list. Though on the official web-site I saw that they do have their ranks listed and its based on the British Royal Airforce, I believe the ranks you listed are about the U.S Airforce equivalant though.
Not quite. Strike Witches (and just about all other anime) use IJA ranks for their soldiers (the IJN lacks the Gunso rank). Imperial Japan lacked a separate air force, so all pilots conform to their standard service ranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakome View Post
I'm surprised Perrine is based on a French pilot. I thought from her clothes and her kind of Ojou personality it would have been British. I also think its funny that the American one has the biggest boobs .
I think that the stereotype of British characters being Ojou types isn't really supported by anime. Based on the gag in Azumanga Daioh, I think that it's pretty much to be expected that the American has the largest breasts. It'd be very unusual if Strike Witches didn't be play up this stereotype.
Old 2008-07-06, 15:49   Link #203
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There's no such thing as an average ratio, the vast majority of pilots never got any kills at all. Looking at Hartmann's figures, he got 352 kills in 1404 missions, but there's enough variation between the combat environments that making comparisons to other pilots in other militaries doesn't really work.
I meant for the average kill(s) per mission for each pilot. Just a meaningless statistic with no real meat on it.

Quote:
The reason why the Germans have such lofty kill records is because they were usually up against very green VVS pilots. Moreover, after the Battle of Britain, there were far fewer Luftwaffe aircraft for the Western Allies to shoot down as they stayed on the strategic defensive.
Meaning German pilots avoided combat when possible? Live to fight another day? Or maintaining the Luftwaffe was no longer a high priorty?

Quote:
Yeah, but you know those Zeros are only there to let the Neuroi show off how powerful it is, and that the aircraft are going be shown as completely ineffectual.
They may surprise us, but I won't be disappointed if they don't.

Quote:
Based on the gag in Azumanga Daioh, I think that it's pretty much to be expected that the American has the largest breasts. It'd be very unusual if Strike Witches didn't be play up this stereotype.
Japanese < Hawiian < American.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 18:43   Link #204
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Foreigners are usually "bigger".....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 18:55   Link #205
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Foreigners are usually "bigger".....
Hard to say how long that stereotype will last though. I understand Japanese girls are getting fatter these days.
Old 2008-07-06, 21:54   Link #206
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

ty jiyuu for understanding cuz really i cant seem to watch it on the net well i watched it onec but not anymore than that in crunchyroll
(HECK CR DOE NOT EVEN ALLOW PLAYBACKS!!)

well truth be told i only liked the girls than the plot

alsoi prefer skygirls (in story/plot and girl and mecha theme)

but ill be sticking with this just abit more for the sake of finishing but still... darn i cant put it in words on what should i say.....

ohh yeah this relly reminded me of these

technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 00:17   Link #207
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Shame there isnt a guy version of mecha musume lol
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 00:28   Link #208
FateAnomaly

I have a theory why young girls in the show don't wear pants/skirts. The strike witches don't wear them cos it make putting on their machines more diffcult. But they feel embarassed if they are the only ones not wearing anything. So in order not to affect their combat ability, the world's governments decide to make all young girls not wear anything.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 00:58   Link #209
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I have a theory why young girls in the show don't wear pants/skirts. The strike witches don't wear them cos it make putting on their machines more diffcult. But they feel embarassed if they are the only ones not wearing anything. So in order not to affect their combat ability, the world's governments decide to make all young girls not wear anything.
Or maybe Strike Witches are Idolized by young girls around the globe?
Old 2008-07-07, 07:34   Link #210
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Shame there isnt a guy version of mecha musume lol
Gundams... Maybe
Old 2008-07-07, 08:04   Link #211
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
That is one of the dumbest thigs I've ever heard. I should HOPE that THAT is NOT the reason
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 08:21   Link #212
kaosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
That is one of the dumbest thigs I've ever heard. I should HOPE that THAT is NOT the reason

How about providing us with your view on the subject?
That would be alot more constructive that what you just said...

But more importantly,is the fact that the girl don't wear any skirt/pants the main point of this anime? XD

Till now we got:

2%of military reference
30%of skygirls vs strike witches nonsense
2% of anti-war vs war (main char)
and 65% of underwear talk XD
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 08:24   Link #213
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Um, no it's not a dumb reason. It was similar to the reasons in Sky Girls because the skin-suit was just that: A skin suit for them to use the machine well.

If you have pants or even skirts, it's going to impede wearing the brooms. Even in real life, the reason why professional female athletes wear a lot of skin tight clothes or just skimpy bikini bottoms is because anything more would impede their actions. That said, it would make sense for them to wear tight pants too, but MOE wins out in the end!

As for the ep itself, I finally got around to watching it (Damn you Crunchyroll! >shakesfist<), and I must say I was pretty impressed. The visuals are on another level than Sky Girls' and the recruitment was just as much fun as SkyGirls' if not more so with Sakamoto showing off. Also, the MUSIC was pretty amazing as well. It was only the first episode and the music already is creeping into my head.

Overall, definitely not as bad as all the moe/fanservice-haters made it sound. Heck, even with all the crotch shots, I think the moe factor was just right.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 10:01   Link #214
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
HAHA

Very weird theory.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 12:02   Link #215
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I liked the first episode it was fun and funny. Its like having sky girls back again but with a shit load more of adorable girls with magical animal ears and tails. I will be watching this one quite closely. The Strike Witches fighting style was nice overwhelm, surround, and bombard the shit out of it to open up the core and destroy the enemy. It also looks like they always attack in pairs i guess one is backup. The weaponry was and nice rounded out. Long range, short range ,heavy missile barrages and light and heavy amour piercing long range fire. Very fun start might not be up some peoples alleys but hey i watch it for what it is.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2008-07-09 at 13:56.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 20:28   Link #216
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Um, no it's not a dumb reason. It was similar to the reasons in Sky Girls because the skin-suit was just that: A skin suit for them to use the machine well.

If you have pants or even skirts, it's going to impede wearing the brooms. Even in real life, the reason why professional female athletes wear a lot of skin tight clothes or just skimpy bikini bottoms is because anything more would impede their actions. That said, it would make sense for them to wear tight pants too, but MOE wins out in the end!
I seriously doubt the creators gave much thought to the "no pants" situation. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I strongly doubt that I am. If you're doubtful, go back and watch the first 3 minute opener and explain to me the scientific purpose of all the crotch shots
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 21:29   Link #217
kaosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
I seriously doubt the creators gave much thought to the "no pants" situation. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I strongly doubt that I am. If you're doubtful, go back and watch the first 3 minute opener and explain to me the scientific purpose of all the crotch shots
At the same time,i doubt the creator goal was to make us debate the "why" of the no-pants situation.
I mean,woohoo,this is fan-service!

Time to move forward!

Seriously....
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 22:11   Link #218
FateAnomaly

Actually i put the theory up just for laughs. There isn't really anything else to talk about as its just the first episode and not much has been shown yet.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 22:43   Link #219
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

"To wear pants or not to wear pants, that is the question"

-quoted from hamlet when shakespear sees this anime

I randomly think of it just for fun
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 00:48   Link #220
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
ty jiyuu for understanding cuz really i cant seem to watch it on the net well i watched it onec but not anymore than that in crunchyroll
(HECK CR DOE NOT EVEN ALLOW PLAYBACKS!!)

well truth be told i only liked the girls than the plot

alsoi prefer skygirls (in story/plot and girl and mecha theme)

but ill be sticking with this just abit more for the sake of finishing but still... darn i cant put it in words on what should i say.....

ohh yeah this relly reminded me of these

or to put thing to a blunt and painfull truth

THE WRITER WANTED IT THAT WAY SO THANT FANSERVICE WILL NOT BE OVERVIEWED

cuz well here look we see girls flying and well fighting and also that is too much windy(in thatmosphere that is)

since if a girl wear a skirt(not pants cuz well you get the idea)

there would be like over excessive fanservice and the writer might think it is too much and try to hide the fanservice by making the girls allover the world wear nothing

in shot it is like hiding somthing in plain sight

(though the quick 2 sec randome pic on the girls pants/underwear made me twitch)
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume