AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-06, 02:43   Link #121
kyp275
Meh

from what I understand the server location doesn't really matter, but whatever game you played and saved on a server stays there - ie. a game you saved on Euro West will not be accessible to you on NA West.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 15:44   Link #122
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

How do you make those really tall office building/apartments? I basically have huge Suburb City, and need more cash to support my policing, and schools.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 16:58   Link #123
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Tea View Post
How do you make those really tall office building/apartments? I basically have huge Suburb City, and need more cash to support my policing, and schools.
Mostly by upgrading your streets to a higher density type...
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 17:24   Link #124
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Mostly by upgrading your streets to a higher density type...
That shouldn't be either. One by one, I kept seeing features that shouldn't be with this game. Only part that kept me stoked in the glassbox engine.

* Small city size? Eh, OK.
* No buildable expressways?
* Single link to the regional expressway? Looks like SimCity Social.
* Mass transit limited to bus and tram? Uh...
* Non-customizable regions? This was a deal breaker to me. Cities between players should be unique, and so should the topography.

As a player for the 2000, 3000, and 4 versions... these kinds of things get noticed.

* The always online thing? I really don't care, as long as it works.

Quote:
The famed SimCity game series got a long-awaited and highly-anticipated reboot this week, but many expectant players have had to put their virtual city-building dreams on hold.

The newest entry in the PC game franchise — aptly titled "SimCity" — re-envisions the pioneering open-ended, city-simulation game that first brought out the urban planner in all of us back in 1989. But the online game has been plagued this week with lengthy wait times, server problems and other issues.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/in...-way-1C8725410

To make up for this -- the future expansion set should be Free.

Hopefully, everything does get sorted out - by the time I decide to go ahead and buy this game (and perhaps build a new computer). For now, EA isn't getting my money soon.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 17:31   Link #125
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Hopefully, everything does get sorted out - by the time I decide to go ahead and buy this game. For now, EA isn't getting my money soon.
Heh, I pulled the trigger when I saw the $20 preorder credid promo on amazon, effectively knocking the price down to $40.

It's gonna be tough finding the time though, Simcity and MLB the Show 13 now, SC2 next week.... oh boy....
Old 2013-03-06, 19:50   Link #126
kyp275
Meh

so which server is the animesuki one on?
Old 2013-03-06, 21:21   Link #127
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
so which server is the animesuki one on?
At the moment I have a public map setup (called Asuki). There's a couple randoms but most of the 16 slots are still available. You can search me on Origin, my name is Balmorca there. Feel free to pop on and claim a plot.

We had intended to setup a private server, but private invites just weren't working. Probably closer to the end of the week we'll try again for private and get something better going.

Edit: So when I said that I took a glance back at how many plots were left and there's... Three? I'm going to attempt that private and you can ask me on Origin if it worked or not.
Old 2013-03-07, 08:24   Link #128
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Maximum size SimCity 5 city mapped onto SimCity 4:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I can't believe people are actually paying for this swindle of a game. Even if you find it fun, financially supporting it is encouraging bad trends in gaming and supporting a giant company that eats up and sanitizes developers who were previously good.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 12:09   Link #129
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

Images

I can't believe people are actually paying for this swindle of a game. Even if you find it fun, financially supporting it is encouraging bad trends in gaming and supporting a giant company that eats up and sanitizes developers who were previously good.
Oh I completely agree. My earlier knowledge was just from a beta video anyway.

I wonder what else it takes for EA to realize they turned themself into the bogeyman of the hardcore gamer community - harsh sales drops I suppose.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 12:58   Link #130
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I keep hearing the trouble arises with the game's server makes me hesitate to make a purchase. How is it to everyone?
Old 2013-03-07, 15:18   Link #131
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I keep hearing the trouble arises with the game's server makes me hesitate to make a purchase. How is it to everyone?
There are still a lot of reports of server issues internet-wide, but I've had absolutely no issues being able to instantly log on to N.A. West server 1 since Tuesday night.
Old 2013-03-07, 15:57   Link #132
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

Images

Yup. The fact that y'can see the whole "city" on the screen... that's indicative enough as to the size of it.

Quote:
SC2 next week.... oh boy....
I shall celebrate with my 1000th Protoss team win.
Old 2013-03-07, 16:49   Link #133
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

The game servers are getting better everyday, this shouldn't be a factor in deciding to get the game or not (there is an available mod to play offline if that's your preference). I wouldn't normally say this, but I think I'm addicted to this game..
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 17:03   Link #134
kyp275
Meh

I have no idea how you guys are getting in, every server is showing as full/busy to me :/
Old 2013-03-07, 17:10   Link #135
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
I have no idea how you guys are getting in, every server is showing as full/busy to me :/
Even the reviews are so hard to get to:

http://www.jonathancresswell.co.uk/2...eview-simcity/

And now, an alternative:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...7423b652000013
Old 2013-03-07, 20:25   Link #136
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

http://kotaku.com/5989115/simcity-the-kotaku-review

I dunno, all I keep hearing is the server issue.
Old 2013-03-07, 20:34   Link #137
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
http://kotaku.com/5989115/simcity-the-kotaku-review

I dunno, all I keep hearing is the server issue.
If it weren't for the server issues -- people would likely be raving about it. I have a personal issue regarding the complete lack of region customization. The city size -- that's something I could probably live with.

The server issues is tied directly to people's money, where people have spent money into an unplayable game.

The multiplayer aspect? I've been waiting for something like this actually. SC4 has some back bone to that, where y'can build different cities that do interact with each other - but - it's just you alone controlling multiple cities. A multiplayer SimCity gives people the opportunity to see their virtual cities behave in response to other cities.
Old 2013-03-07, 21:01   Link #138
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Regarding that Civitas game, I just read it now, and while I'm interested in what they are trying to archive, I hope they get the game system right, not just a pretty face and accessibility. Their kickstarter page has half of its as project plan/description, while the other half sounds like a rant that kinda makes me be skeptical.
Old 2013-03-07, 21:43   Link #139
Kyuu
=^^=

Indeed. The Civitas team will have to show me something convincing before giving any kind of support.
Old 2013-03-07, 22:49   Link #140
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Oh man, this is so much fun to watch. Amazon, reddit, gaming sites...it's all on fire, lawl.

Oh what, the game? Don't really have much of an interest (EA Origin DRM etc.). But the server firestorm aside, some (who can play it) are complaining about simplistic AI causing major issues. I'm sensitive to AI problems like that so that's another strike.

Too bad. Maxis games are lovable, and if the music is classic Maxis like in the Sims series, I'd adore it just watching the game flows and listening to the music.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote