AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-10, 01:59   Link #1901
kujoe
from head to heel

Actually, it's the same for them. Neither Sheryl or Ranka truly know their pasts at the start, and the revelation of such affects their respective roles in the present story. The twist is that their pasts are intertwined through Grace's machinations.

The only thing that has it made for Sheryl is her career at the beginning of the story—but as a character, she too has 'paid a price' to know who she is. The revelation of her past isn't just revealed to her on a silver platter.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:03   Link #1902
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
As for the interview, I hope there is an OVA. Plus, a Ranka spin-off would be kinda nice, as she IS a big part of Frontier's survival. After all, if Ranka hadn't met Sheryl and Alto, would we have gone on this long journey?
I'd like to see a Ranka spin off myself, from the movie scenario in particular since it gets a more TBC vibe. While TV series only had the "triangle" inconclusive.

Maybe Sheryl and Alto will show up as secondary couple-best friends support with Michel and Klan. Maybe Ranka will have her own little triangle with two new guys (or Nanase and someone else ). It'll be cute to see Alto coaching her to make a choice... and finding herself on Alto's shoes. I don't think it'll happen, but I like the idea.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-04-10, 02:23   Link #1903
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I might be back with a translation/summary in a bit. Choices choices.
That'd be nice. It doesn't need to be the entire interview, just the juicy bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Macross Zero.
Oh. D'oh. It's early.

And artwork doesn't substitute for actual story. ^^
Old 2011-04-10, 02:26   Link #1904
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Hm, I don't remember it being stated that Sheryl had amnesia like Ranka, just that she was on the street for years. She stated to Alto that she was an orphan, yes; but she never truly finds out her past.
Precisely. That's what I meant, and said. Sheryl doesn't truly know her past.

The specifics aren't the same, but the circumstances are quite comparable.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:28   Link #1905
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
Spoiler for Japanese:
omatase...

I left out the short summary at the top. Stuff in the [square brackets] is what I think makes more sense given what Kawamori-sensei seems to want to convey, or just my thoughts in general.

Spoiler for English translation:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-10-21 at 01:00.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:31   Link #1906
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Also, "Magical Zentran Klan" would be much better and more people actually like the character. ^^
Of course it would be better, this reminds me of that eye-catch where she "magically" transforms from little klan to the big one.

And well yeah Kawamori is such a troll so now we can say that "oficially" Alto just folded with the Queen, right? but about Sheryl waking up he leaves it open ended...

And about Sheryl and Ranka, I agree that they understand eachother really well, from all the love triangles in Macross I think Ranka and Sheryl are the most friendly rivals, the second place would be for Isamu and Guld but that didn't really ended well.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:32   Link #1907
Thess

Quote:
I hated the ending of the series too. And reaching out his RIGHT hand made it kinda weird, as he should've extended both hands, but he reaches on the side of Ranka and not Sheryl. But the triangle was announced "inconclusive" as I'm going "um, really?" First off, he extended ONE hand, and it was to RANKA. Which many stated he wants to scoop Sheryl up, but I doubt that. It would've made it "inconclusive" had he extended BOTH hands. But only one... gee, I wonder who is trolling again.
I liked the ending of the series, but it seemed more conclusive... you know everyone was alive and well?

Plus Alto might had extended his right hand because he's right handed. And if you squint at the scene, he was tilting to his left. But we know that trolling official spread had him reach there and hand out BOTH hands. Because they wanted to play with the suspense.

He seemed more decisive in the movies, though? Not Just about the girls, but overall in his choices. Besides there is her best friend (with Sheryl), so it makes sense they would talk about it. Sheryl would kick him if he says something dumb.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-04-10, 02:34   Link #1908
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
And about Sheryl and Ranka, I agree that they understand eachother really well, from all the love triangles in Macross I think Ranka and Sheryl are the most friendly rivals, the second place would be for Isamu and Guld but that didn't really ended well.
Well, you know how it is between pilot dudes. Nothing like a dogfight to bring on some male bonding.

Kind of reminds me of a couple friends of mine who were drunk and were about to punch each other. They went out of the bar to settle their differences, and came back with one arm around the other's shoulder later.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:37   Link #1909
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
He seemed more decisive in the movies, though? Not Just about the girls, but overall in his choices. Besides there is her best friend (with Sheryl), so it makes sense they would talk about it. Sheryl would kick him if he says something dumb.
I dispute that he was more decisive in the movies. Being about to be blasted into the next universe tends to make snap-of-the-moment decisions much easier. And the series just... ended. Had we had five more minutes of it, I think a clear decision would have been shown ( if we go by how things were going in-universe. I wouldn't trust Kawatrolli to not drop his burning husk of a VF-25 on Alto for a last middle finger to the audience ).
Old 2011-04-10, 02:40   Link #1910
Thess

Quote:
And well yeah Kawamori is such a troll so now we can say that "oficially" Alto just folded with the Queen, right? but about Sheryl waking up he leaves it open ended...
Actually, he does confirm it...? SORTA. In his wry way. I understood that people might have missed that after the shock of Alto's disappearance, but then upon rewatching a couple of times realized it. The hints are there before the credits roll. Unless I misunderstood the text (and doublechecked what was karice67 translation about which leaves me with that conclusion).

But leaves their reunion/her awaking/his return to our imaginations? Anyway, by the tone in general, he seemed to lean on the hope side.

Old 2011-04-10, 02:45   Link #1911
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah, I agree. You don't need to attach the quotation marks on "officially". It's practically the word of God Himself.

Of course, the presentation of the ending is still the way it is.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:45   Link #1912
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I dispute that he was more decisive in the movies. Being about to be blasted into the next universe tends to make snap-of-the-moment decisions much easier. And the series just... ended. Had we had five more minutes of it, I think a clear decision would have been shown ( if we go by how things were going in-universe. I wouldn't trust Kawatrolli to not drop his burning husk of a VF-25 on Alto for a last middle finger to the audience ).
All I will say is this: trust me, it wasn't "a snap-of-the-moment decision" for Alto.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-10, 02:45   Link #1913
magnuskn

Huh. Okay, now that was a cryptic message about Sheryl awakening. A hint in the credit roll? Anyone has an idea what he is talking about?
Old 2011-04-10, 02:45   Link #1914
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Well, you know how it is between pilot dudes. Nothing like a dogfight to bring on some male bonding.

Kind of reminds me of a couple friends of mine who were drunk and were about to punch each other. They went out of the bar to settle their differences, and came back with one arm around the other's shoulder later.
Yeah that's normal for us My brother got Boxing gloves for him and his friend and they fought on our backyard to settle their problems.

Thanks for the translation karice67, my only problem now is that I really want a release date for the DVD/BD.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:47   Link #1915
magnuskn

Quote:
All I will say is this: "it wasn't a snap-of-the-moment decision" for Alto.
I didn't mean it in the sense that he just decided then that he was in love with Sheryl, but telling Ranka that he didn't feel that way about her and telling Sheryl that he did love her was something I think he had to decide at that moment. Because of the incoming ordenance.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:48   Link #1916
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Thanks for the translation karice67, my only problem now is that I really want a release date for the DVD/BD.
I'm sorry...I now think I really shouldn't have translated that until we at least had a date. I wish I hadn't read it myself!

Quote:
I didn't mean it in the sense that he just decided then that he was in love with Sheryl, but telling Ranka that he didn't feel that way about her and telling Sheryl that he did love her was something I think he had to decide at that moment. Because of the incoming ordenance.
I think...it would have been difficult at any other time.

But the decisive thing...it's not just this particular moment: he is definitely more decisive in the movie. It's not something you can really get from summaries I'm afraid.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-10, 02:48   Link #1917
Thess

We thank you for the hard work, karice67.

Quote:
Huh. Okay, now that was a cryptic message about Sheryl awakening. A hint in the credit roll? Anyone has an idea what he is talking about?
Spoiler for speculation+spoilers:

Old 2011-04-10, 02:54   Link #1918
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
I'm sorry...I now think I really shouldn't have translated that until we at least had a date. I wish I hadn't read it myself!
On the contrary this helps to make the wait for the movie less annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess
But leaves their reunion/her awaking/his return to our imaginations? Anyway, by the tone in general, he seemed to lean on the hope side.
Yeah I liked the tone of his comments.
Old 2011-04-10, 02:54   Link #1919
magnuskn

Quote:
I totally disagree, you've probably spared us several months of heartburn.

Quote:
But the decisive thing...it's not just this particular moment: he is definitely more decisive in the movie. It's not something you can really get from summaries I'm afraid.
I'll have to watch the movie first to get a real sense of it, true. But I guess it is more my beef with so many people trying to pin the "indecisive" label on the character in the series.

---

Thanks Tess for the hint to the ending. Yeah, that should be it, I guess. Although wasn't the hint "in the characters which appear in the endroll" ( which I take to be "the writing in the credits"... or did Karice mean the actual characters like Ranka and Sheryl?) ?
Old 2011-04-10, 03:00   Link #1920
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

@ Dash Hunter and magnus
Nah, I meant more for myself. Now I simply can't concentrate on anything else, like preparing for classes!

Quote:
Although wasn't the hint "in the characters which appear in the endroll" ( which I take to be "the writing in the credits"... or did Karice mean the actual characters like Ranka and Sheryl?) ?
To be honest, I'm still puzzling over this, because I don't remember the end credits anymore (not to mention I was one of the 'shocked people' who almost missed even the 'stirring' scene...)

- Patrick Stokes

Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song