AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 11:48   Link #1
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Mod Edit: I split this conversation from the Episode 1 thread. This will likely be a recurring topic of conversation throughout the series, and this is the thread where you can compare these two works by the same author. Please be civilized and don't bash one work or another. Support your points with real arguments. If you will be comparing from the novels, please use spoiler tags.

Original post follows, re-joining discussion in progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
This is what Accel World wishes it could be. I watched only one episode so far, and I already love it.
The animation was beautiful and the backgrounds were simply gorgeous.The characters design looked exactly like in the novel.

As a MMO player myself, I find the premise terrifying, especially since I'm such a bad gamer.
Actually, I would say that Accel World contains superior technology than SAO, and is actually the next step up after SAO. In AW, VR is intertwined with reality and people can access VR any time, any place provided they have BB installed. NervGear is limited by the fact that it's not mobile like the technology in AW is (And really, who wants to be walking around with a big helmet on their head anyways? ). There's also the fact that SAO takes place before AW...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-09 at 16:06.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:50   Link #2
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Actually, I would say that Accel World contains superior technology than SAO, and is actually the next step up after SAO. In AW, VR is intertwined with reality and people can access VR any time, any place provided they have BB installed. NervGear is limited by the fact that it's not mobile like the technology in AW is (And really, who wants to be walking around with a big helmet on their head anyways? ). There's also the fact that SAO takes place before AW...
I'm not talking about technology, I'm talking about PLOT. Which Accel World sadly lacks.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:55   Link #3
hero147

[mod edit: removed conversation from original thread]

I had to drop Accel World for aesthetic reasons. Shallow yes, but I couldn't stand the main character. Did not like his chubby animation and his personality really did not make up for it.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-09 at 16:07.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:55   Link #4
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm not talking about technology, I'm talking about PLOT. Which Accel World sadly lacks.
Sorry for the misunderstanding then. I still disagree with your point. Perhaps you could point out some examples?

Last edited by Rennir; 2012-07-09 at 17:14.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 11:57   Link #5
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Yeah Accel World is to the 3DS as SAO is to the virtual boy. Plus the acceleration ability is a nice bonus and has many practical real life uses. I'm not going to lie I'd love to be able to do that and play games at the same time, it's like the ultimate gamer's empowerment fantasy, whereas I would definitely not want to be trapped in SAO having to fight my way out, which is probably the utlimate gamers nightmare. Like I said quite different stories and takes on the pros and cons of where gaming could be headed at some point in the future, with an obviously fantastical twist.

Yeah though this is because Accel World takes place like 50 years from now whereas I think SAO is only 10 years in the future. Lot of time to make massive technological leaps and honestly I'd swear almost plausible in some fashion if technology really is advancing as fast as people like Sony claim. At least more plausible than some people might argue.

Quote:
Ummm no not really from what I've seen of it. If you've actually watched the show you'd know it has plenty of plot and character development as well as a ton of backstory. Are you sure you actually watched Accel World? Also this show has barely even gotten off the ground, how can you even begin to say it has much of a plot going on. It's been pretty much pure exposition and setup with this episode. I wish people wouldn't jump the gun so much and allow the story to actually go somewhere before making these sweeping generalizations about what the show does or doesn't have.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:24   Link #6
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Lot of time to make massive technological leaps and honestly I'd swear almost plausible in some fashion if technology really is advancing as fast as people like Sony claim. At least more plausible than some people might argue.
Yeah just compare where we were 20 years ago to where we are now. It's incredible how fast this new technology is evolving. We've made more technological leaps in the past 20 years than we have in the entire history of humanity. Hell, we're already starting to dip our toes into AR stuff with Project Glass and Microsoft's upcoming Forenza...
Old 2012-07-09, 12:25   Link #7
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Ummm no not really from what I've seen of it. If you've actually watched the show you'd know it has plenty of plot and character development as well as a ton of backstory. Are you sure you actually watched Accel World? Also this show has barely even gotten off the ground, how can you even begin to say it has much of a plot going on. It's been pretty much pure exposition and setup with this episode. I wish people wouldn't jump the gun so much and allow the story to actually go somewhere before making these sweeping generalizations about what the show does or doesn't have.
Aye, while AO and SAO share some similar elements, they're really two different kinds of stories.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:26   Link #8
Dark Wing

Quote:
Okay no just no...Accel world has just as much plot, character interaction and development as SAO. We've already had 2 story arcs and getting into the 3rd so tell me how is there no plot?
Old 2012-07-09, 12:31   Link #9
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Yeah Accel World is to the 3DS as SAO is to the virtual boy. Plus the acceleration ability is a nice bonus and has many practical real life uses. I'm not going to lie I'd love to be able to do that and play games at the same time, it's like the ultimate gamer's empowerment fantasy, whereas I would definitely not want to be trapped in SAO having to fight my way out, which is probably the utlimate gamers nightmare. Like I said quite different stories and takes on the pros and cons of where gaming could be headed at some point in the future, with an obviously fantastical twist.

Yeah though this is because Accel World takes place like 50 years from now whereas I think SAO is only 10 years in the future. Lot of time to make massive technological leaps and honestly I'd swear almost plausible in some fashion if technology really is advancing as fast as people like Sony claim. At least more plausible than some people might argue.

Yes, I am watching Accel World. AW is wasting it's potential on stupid moe and ecchi comedy instead of plot and characters development. It's not bad, just very disappointing for me as a sci-fi nerd.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:36   Link #10
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Yes, I am watching Accel World. AW is wasting it's potential on stupid moe and ecchi comedy instead of plot and characters development. It's not bad, just very disappointing for me as a sci-fi nerd.
Well.... to be fair the beginning of AW is its weakest part, the main story doesn't really pick it 'til later.

[mod edit: removed conversation from the other thread]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-09 at 16:08.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:54   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
This will be my last word on this matter since as mentioned above this isn't the thread for comparsion and I'm actually trying to show why trying to strike a defining comparsion with AW is kind of pointless right now. Yes it definitely has some of those aspects, but they are hardly the major focus. Also could it not just be that it has had more episodes so it's actually had the time to spend on some more lighthearted fanservice type stuff. I will be very surprised if SAO doesn't have at least some fanservice and moe characters looking at some of the character designs for the females and I'd be willing to place money on Kirito having a bit of a harem of his own by the time this show is where Accel World is. And why should that be held against it anyway if the characters are still interesting.

Again I can't stress quite enough the difference between a full cour of episodes and one single opening episode.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 18:49   Link #12
Utsuro no Hako

For the record, here's the illustration for the SAO/AW crossover:

Looks like Kirito's thinking, "Mmm, tonkatsu."

Kawahara claims the story is non-canonical, but he recycled so many ideas in Accel World that it's hard not to imagine AW as being SAO's future.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 19:00   Link #13
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Looks like Kirito's thinking, "Mmm, tonkatsu."
I have to admit, I LOL'd

sorry Porky-kun
Old 2012-07-10, 00:07   Link #14
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Aye, while AO and SAO share some similar elements, they're really two different kinds of stories.
its also strongly hinted that AW is the future of SAO timeline. By like 20+ years
Old 2012-07-10, 00:12   Link #15
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
its also strongly hinted that AW is the future of SAO timeline. By like 20+ years
Well, it's a fan-favorite speculation, but so far Kawahara has only given a not-very-strong statement of "not right now" :P
Old 2012-07-10, 06:49   Link #16
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

yeah some fans would really think like that especially after seeing Kuroyukihime wondering about something when Haruyuki talked about "black swordsman" that he fought
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 07:46   Link #17
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
Strongly hinted? Not quite.

Spoiler for Sword Art Online, Light Novels, Volume 7-9 (it occurs pretty late in the series):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Well, it's a fan-favorite speculation, but so far Kawahara has only given a not-very-strong statement of "not right now" :P
I suppose that's one to interpret what he said in the afterwords of volume 10 of AW ("There is no clear connection"). Interestingly enough, the 3 people I asked to check it seem to agree in thinking the worlds aren't connected; perhaps they're just likeminded people?

From what I've seen, most people just want to believe the two worlds are connected/the same as a forms of justification for thinking that Kuroyukihime is Asuna and Kirito's daughter. Some of their evidence for thinking is so is illogical to the extent that it becomes somewhat laughable. I have no problems with speculation, but sometimes, fans just tend to go over the top with it.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 08:48   Link #18
novalysis

Well, some speculate that KYH is an orphan.... just see the Asuna thread....

That's the only remotely plausible way.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 08:55   Link #19
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Well, some speculate that KYH is an orphan.... just see the Asuna thread....

That's the only remotely plausible way.
Ha ha.. ha ha. -_-

That's precisely why I don't want it to be true; I hate having to see my favourite characters, and especially couples, die. And that's something I'm adamant about.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 09:00   Link #20
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Ha ha.. ha ha. -_-

That's precisely why I don't want it to be true; I hate having to see my favourite characters, and especially couples, die. And that's something I'm adamant about.
I'm sure we all want to
Spoiler for novel:
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote