AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-06, 18:23   Link #1
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Occidental holidays in Japan

I know Christmas is a holiday in Japan, but I'm always surprised when I see anime characters celebrate it like American or European people. I know they also celebrate Valentine's day and some other holidays. Since traditional occidental culture is very different than traditional Japanese / oriental culture, I was wondering why it's so popular in Japan. I know it has to do with assimilation, but they don't celebrate it in some other Asian countries. Also, to what extent are those holidays popular? Is it just like here or a minor holiday?
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 18:56   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Christmas is not an official holiday in Japan... the Emperor's Birthday is, and so is New Years', so it is a holiday season.

Christmas is associated with romance more.
Old 2003-12-06, 21:22   Link #3
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Really?..
That's strange. ^_^;; But when I think of it, I often saw characters talk about how they want to spend Christmas with their boyfriends or girlfriends. I wonder why it's that way though.
Old 2003-12-06, 21:57   Link #4
Shii
*Fansubber

Remember that Japan is, like, 0.3% Christian.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 22:03   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

True, but Christmas isn't nessisarily seen as a Christian holiday in other parts of the world. It is however seen as a family holiday where family gets together and enjoys each other's company and exchanges gifts.

For anyone interested, here's the normally observed holiday's in Japan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2062.html

I'd be curious from our Japanese members which of these holidays would be special enough that workers would be given the day off with pay, or just the day off period. ^_^
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 00:10   Link #6
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
True, but Christmas isn't nessisarily seen as a Christian holiday in other parts of the world. It is however seen as a family holiday where family gets together and enjoys each other's company and exchanges gifts.

For anyone interested, here's the normally observed holiday's in Japan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2062.html

I'd be curious from our Japanese members which of these holidays would be special enough that workers would be given the day off with pay, or just the day off period. ^_^

^_^;; Oh, I really don't know.. I don't look at it from a Christian point of view because I'm not Christian. And I know that.. Christmas is always the holiday with gifts and food and Santa. :P

I just find it kinda odd that.. You guys say it's a romantic holiday, which makes a lot of sense.. ^^;; But there's a lot of Santa's and stuff like that which isn't really romantic.. @_@;; Also do kids actually believe in Santa? what's the point of Santa being there if kids don't believe in it, or if Japanese people don't exchange presents? ^^;;;
Old 2003-12-07, 01:35   Link #7
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Hm, yesterday my japanese friend told me, that it isn't a family thing, but more something for couples to spent some time together.
Popular opinion seems to side with me
Old 2003-12-13, 00:58   Link #8
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

well~ my POV would be =)
holidays are for people to relax and brings family/friends/lovers (minasan) together so I guess it's not only Christmas, and Valentine's day~ but from Chinese New Year to American Independence Day
Oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote