AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-16, 19:12   Link #1
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Series enjoyable by viewers with no anime experience.

For whatever reason I've had quite a few people (who don't watch anime at all) ask for a series to watch as of late.

I think it helps to ask what their favorite type of movie is (to get an idea for their desired genre) but when I'm just asked for a damn good series that this person (who has never watched anime before, mind you) will enjoy...I have a pretty tough time.

Just a few things to consider:

-Even though they may be good, some animes just wouldn't be (fully) enjoyable as your 'first' series

-Many of the 'classic' series are licensed and hard to obtain (spending money isn't an option)

-(Some) Older series although not licensed simpy still lack distro and are hard to find

So, if you were presented with this situation what series would you recommend and why?

-Not sure if the topic gets the point across, couldn't really think of a better one.

--Thanks for moving the thread.

Last edited by Onibaba; 2006-02-16 at 20:16.
Old 2006-02-16, 19:18   Link #2
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
i think a good starter series is Cowboy Bebop or Trigun there pretty easy to get and so fun to watch
Old 2006-02-16, 19:25   Link #3
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
i think a good starter series is Cowboy Bebop or Trigun there pretty easy to get and so fun to watch
Hope this gets moved to the general anime forum quickly, and no those are not easy to get since they are licensed. If I'm wanting to just give anime a try I wouldn't be willing to spend money on it.
Old 2006-02-16, 19:32   Link #4
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Asking about the favourite movie is one option. Another one would be, to get an anime, which plays in the same country. That'll make it easier for newcomers, to understand everything (or at least a bit more) and he/she might be able, to shift inside easier. It's a good idea, to combine many aspects. That'll increase the chance of infection

Aesir
Old 2006-02-16, 20:20   Link #5
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I have Elfen Lied, and I brought it to school amidst those people who laughed at me because I watch anime. I let them watch the first episode. They wanted to watch the second, third ... until they finished it, and they respected anime because of Elfen Lied. That's how good this anime is.

Old 2006-02-16, 20:30   Link #6
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
yea...but maybe it's too bloody for some other people who are just getting started...but at the same time, others expect all nice and fluffy anime instead of blood and violence and so maybe Elfen Lied is a good choice for beginners...I would show them Bleach...I have an Anime Club and most of them are beginners, Bleach got them hooked...
Old 2006-02-16, 22:41   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I showed a bunch of my friends GunGRAVE as a first show. They are all gamers or jocks, so I figured they'd appreciate the mafia and guns aspect of GunGRAVE, which they did. To this day all of my friends think GunGRAVE is the best anime ever.
Old 2006-02-17, 00:21   Link #8
shikamarufoo

Naruto is great for beginners...my bro and sister in law got hooked with anime after watching it. Just try real popular stoff as most of the people watching it are watching anime for the first time.
Old 2006-02-17, 00:23   Link #9
haquti
うざい奴

It usually depends on what kind of genre, but if you want some anime that you can laugh I suggest you;

Full Metal Panic series
Excel Saga
School Rumble
Azumanga Daio

These are pretty nice to start with. Or you can try Evangelion but it might not be suitable for first anime. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun are also great series.
Old 2006-02-17, 01:30   Link #10
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Although good suggestions, he asked for unlicensed series probably still easily obtainable, those good ones are all licensed, so the choices would be the newer series.

As you said of course, knowing what genres (or movies so we can guess the genres) that you friend likes would be helpful.

Probably something easily enjoyable and to get caught up in(so nothing too deep, niche shows, strange, etc.), and that clearly shows the new viewer a taste of what anime is about.

Usually action animes do the trick. Comedy is a bonus.

Bleach should be a good choice.

Shakugan no Shana seems to be a good action, usual fighting with powers anime as well but I havn't seen that series personally.

Pani Poni Dash is pretty funny along the lines of Azumanga Daioh but it might have way too many anime related in jokes for a newcomer to enjoy completely.

Mai Otome is also another ongoing one with action, magic/mechs.
Old 2006-02-17, 03:28   Link #11
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibaba
Hope this gets moved to the general anime forum quickly, and no those are not easy to get since they are licensed. If I'm wanting to just give anime a try I wouldn't be willing to spend money on it.
I was under the impression that you were going to show off a series that you owned...

Haven't been keeping up with the fansub scene in quite a while. All of my recommendations would be already licensed, but for what it's worth:

• GTO. A little perverted, but VERY funny and a easy-to-understand, yet not simple-minded story.

• Ranma ½. These days, counted among the classics. Funny, fairly non-sequential (so you can show your freinds one or two random episodes).

Trigun. Can't recommend this enough as a starter anime. The first half of the series contains action and slapstick comedy in a Western-motif show, then changes gears and becomes much more serious and dramatic, with a plotline that carries throughout the second set of 13 eps. Almost two different genres in one, and shows different types of anime within itself while still maintaining cohesiveness.

• Angelic Layer. Really depends on the person, but I think it's an excellent beginner show. Lighthearted, slight elements of drama, action (though not gratituous violence).

• Stay away from fanservice-oriented shows. You're not doing yourself any favors by using those as first impressions.
Old 2006-02-17, 20:48   Link #12
wao
OK.

I strongly suggest you DON'T get AzuDai or Pani Poni Dash as beginning shows, they're very different from the usual style of entertainment and will seem 'too weird'. Esp. AzuDai, they won't get the jokes or the pacing and stuff.

If they prefer less violent stuff try showing them something like Honey and Clover.

If not well My-Hime (licensed, but not out on DVD yet) and Mai-Otome are actually very good for starting anime, even if it is intended as a moe show it has a lot of action aspects and the fanservicey bits can be kind of ignored.

You can also try the 'general audience' shows that have a lot of people hooked onto it, for example Gundam Seed. (Don't freaking show Destiny or I'll kill teh you!) But that is of course licensed. DVDs are all out as well.

What else is there... I wonder if they can enjoy Noein, it plays out like an enjoyable anime quite a bit of the time and it's kind of exciting and interesting, but the thing is they might have a big problem with the visuals, for they are unique... in the literal sense of the word. Okay scrap it, you need to be able to appreciate anime before you can watch this show I think. (That show is unlicensed but you can't find it on Animesuki due to MFI, however you can find it in other places.)

Full Metal Panic is one of those very popular shows, a lot of my friends who are only casual anime fans know this show.
Old 2006-02-17, 21:55   Link #13
ultrataro

You really should show liscenced anime, come on, you can afford a rental, right? How are you going to support anime otherwise? Without money, there wouldn't be anime. I agree that Cowbow Beebop is pretty darn good, unless they're not into action kind of stuff, and that aired on cable too. Most of the Ghibli stuff has pretty wide appeal.
Old 2006-02-18, 05:04   Link #14
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

unlicensed

yakitate
mahoraba
magikano
fullmoon o sagashite

licensed

kaleidostar
full metal panic fumoffu
stellvia
Old 2006-02-18, 05:31   Link #15
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Intelligent people will like deep anime, anime they've never seen before. A definite recommendation is Mushishi. However, the bell-curve of understanding these kinds of anime are also only for intelligent people. Less endowed people will want ecchi-types of anime.

The reason why most of my classmates (and I) enjoyed Elfen Lied is because we're mostly a bunch of nerds and geeks (we come from a special science school). That's probably why they were able to appreciate the psychological depth of that anime.

Mushishi is great if watched with your friends who are open-minded, who don't give anime the last word.
Old 2006-02-18, 13:18   Link #16
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataro
You really should show liscenced anime, come on, you can afford a rental, right? How are you going to support anime otherwise? Without money, there wouldn't be anime. I agree that Cowbow Beebop is pretty darn good, unless they're not into action kind of stuff, and that aired on cable too. Most of the Ghibli stuff has pretty wide appeal.
I can't believe I forgot about the Ghibli stuff. I've only seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but those were awesome. I must watch the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
unlicensed

yakitate
mahoraba
magikano
fullmoon o sagashite

licensed

kaleidostar
full metal panic fumoffu
stellvia
Although from the list I've only seen Yakitake!! Japan and Full Moon wo Sagashite, I would not really recommend those as starter anime. Full Moon might work -- actually, depending on the person it might work VERY well, but Yakitake would not.

I love that show, but it's a little too random and weird for me to recommend it.
Old 2006-02-18, 21:47   Link #17
wao
OK.

Also if they're the more intellectual type you can try things like Haibane Renmei and Kino no Tabi, if you want unlicensed ones then go with physics223's recommendation of Mushishi. Those are all not tpical anime.
Want something a little more confusing? Lain. It's also licensed.

One thing that has turned many people onto anime is the famous Neon Genesis Evangelion, but again that's licensed.

Notice the trend that most of these shows are licensed.

So far the unlicensed recommendations I agree with are:

Bleach (action)
Mai-Otome (action + cute)
Honey and Clover (slice-of-life/romance, great for girls)
Mushishi (intellectual)

I don't remember if FMP:TSR is licensed but if it isn't that'd be good, problem is you need to have watched FMP which is licensed.

Also Full Moon wo Sagashite is licensed. If you can still find it though, then show it to people ONLY IF THEY ARE GIRLY GIRLS if you want a high chance of enjoyment...
Old 2006-02-18, 23:52   Link #18
Asfad

It depends on what the particular person thinks of anime in particular, just like you recommend series' based on what genres the person likes. For example, you usually wouldn't recommend a slice of life series to someone who watches mostly action packed shounen.

For a safe recommendation, choose something that has a little bit of everything and does it exceptionally. Heres what I would suggest:
-Cowboy Bebop
-FMA
-Trigun
-Samurai Champloo

For the person who thinks anime is just for kids, stick em with a dark, mind-racking, or violent anime to give em a shock
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Kino no Tabi
-Akira
-Berserk
-Serial Experiments Lain

And for the people who are more tolerant or you tried the above and it didn't work too well, give em some great animes that are extremely different from the norm or something u wouldn't recommend to a beginner. I wouldn't recommend these to newcomers unless the conventional recommendations don't work.
-Monster (a very good starting recommendation, but the series length is a big detractor)
-Mushishi
-Honey and Clover
-Azumanga Daioh
-Excel Saga

I'm probably missing a few titles, but thats all I can think of off the top of my head
Old 2006-02-19, 00:39   Link #19
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned this yet. ~EDIT Oops just noticed above post... EDIT~ AKIRA! I just checked Amazon it's available used from around $7 depending on what version you get. It is also regularly shown on Encore.
Akira is what got my friends into anime. I showed it to them one day when our paintball game got rained out, and they were all hooked. Good choice if your friends are into action movies. Best part of it is that the dub is good, so you won't have to freak them out with subtitles and stuff. Princess Mononoke is another good choice. Once again dub is good, heavy action, and some deep plot backing it all. I also second previous recomendations of Cowboy Bebop *points at Fey shirt he is currently wearing* and Trigun. Both are heavily western influenced so they are very easy to pick up. And come on Cowboy Bebop is on Cartoon Network. Who doesn't get CN?!
I'd also suggest both Heavy Metal 2000 and Heavy Metal (2000 is a bit more "modern" so it appeals to a slightly broader audience). While they aren't strictly anime they do show that just because something is animated DOESN'T mean it's for kids (BOOBIES! ).
If you absolutely refuse to spend even a little money then Bleach I guess... I dunno if it'd appeal to everyone. Once again the subtitles will put a lot of people off. If you still have it or know where to get it Blood+.
Oh yes Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. Once again not strictly anime but it's an easy transition to anime since the CGI is heavily anime influenced. FFVII is also known to anyone who has ever played an RPG, so it's easy to transition into.
Old 2006-02-19, 11:12   Link #20
EdenB
Overlord

To the person who said support licenced, go rental and such, he did mention that this is to give recommedations of. Not to buy himself anyway and if it's the persons first time, they'll be more receptive to buying anime after seeing good anime for free. That and at least around here, most rental stores won't have anime outside of Digimon and Pokémon the movies.

And as for suggestions, if the person wants a comedy, maybe Da Capo. Assuming they're not the sort of person that would be disgusted between the adopted sister theme. If they want something with plot, then Kanon. For action, I would say Naruto but due to it's licencing, Bleach would be okay too. Though Bleach has a period where it's pretty slow.

Admittedly one of the best series to show people, would be Ranma ½ because it has pretty much everything. Though it's licenced so that's out of the picture.
Closed Thread