AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-25, 21:08   Link #1881
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
There's a lot of cool thins you can do when you pay with the names. For example, Syn's Bow Device is called Hellskor, a play on the word Helskór, which in norse mythology were shoes you put on the dead so they could use them to walk to Valhalla. The amusing play is then that Hellskor is implied to be used to send people to Valhalla.
Indeed.

Quote:
Or totally awesome badasses. One of the less remembered scenes (which I find strange, because to me it is one of his most awesome scenes to date) of Archer in the Fate/ Stay Night game is when he uses a bow to blow up an entire graveyard, setting it ablaze in the process. The only scene rivalling that one was him using Rho Aius to block Lancer's most destructive attack. Screw Unlimited Blade Works! Archer has so many tickets to awesome its a crime to waste them. I plan to incorporate those pieces in Syn, a destructive archer with an astounding defence. Should also be about time that the thread sees an ultimate defensive spell instead of a constant onslaught of ultimate offenses.
Go forth Syn! Go where I have failed, for if I had picked more skills for that borderline-overloaded skill list I'd have been gunned down for h4xx!!!

Quote:
I think we may have found one of the reasons Hayate was so shafted. Note that all of the people shafted in StrikerS don't use Cartridges.

It's a patern. No cartridges = shafting.
Cartridges have become the defining point of Nanoha, so dumping more of those guys in the foreground out does work from a finance manager's point of view...

Easy way to fix it is to have everyone have this system. Then those Special Characters, that are without cartridges and you cannot modify their gear, don't become shafted because they stand out! And given some advantages of the magerifles (comes in several flavors from handguns to heavy magecannons), we'll see more being adopted, instead of just Vice.

Bows have their own advantages, as for one they do not require line of sight to deliver a volley into an area (assuming that the mage/knight does not know homing magic, which is common because such magic is rather advanced). Hence why Rain of Death is a secondary attack of a Bow-user, while everyone else gets it at tertiary level.

I'd would've touched on Staves and their advantages, but I'm really digressing into 40K now...

Quote:
I know the feeling, your mind is swarming with ideas, but working on the drive to actually write them down is a different story.

Though I've been struck by a wave of inspiration lately. Here is a first design of Syn's Bow Device Hellskor:

Spoiler:

I'm quite pleased with the results. It has a bit of a Levantine feel to it, I'll admit, but that is intentional, with Mid lacking of examples to draw from they based it around Levantine. It still has a feel of its own.

And the Shiroko image has been reinforced... Will Vivio be Data Collecting spells and stuff for Syn to hurl as bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Or Cortana, after Franz totally wrecked her in a training duel...

Cortana: "That's IT! I WON'T BE YOUR DEVICE ANYMORE! LURCH! GIVE ME TO JOHN!"

Franz: "Holy shit my AI became sentient?!"

Cortana: "SOD OFF!"

Franz: -__-;;
Hell hath no fury like any woman scorned.
Old 2008-06-25, 21:55   Link #1882
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazenoyuuchi View Post
I have a question regarding this Dagger. Would its shielding piercing be considered a "magical" attack? Just asking out of random curiosity.
Yes, it counts as a magical attack.

That means AMF the sucker and it's useless.

EDIT: Also, if anyone's looking for inspiration on weapon looks, try the weapon options in City of Heroes. Click on each image for a larger version.

Occasionally the pictures do not convey the full sense of the weapon. For example, the Rularuu options, those eyeballs? They move.

Last edited by dkellis; 2008-06-25 at 22:09.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 22:27   Link #1883
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
I know the feeling, your mind is swarming with ideas, but working on the drive to actually write them down is a different story.

Though I've been struck by a wave of inspiration lately. Here is a first design of Syn's Bow Device Hellskor:

Spoiler:

I'm quite pleased with the results. It has a bit of a Levantine feel to it, I'll admit, but that is intentional, with Mid lacking of examples to draw from they based it around Levantine. It still has a feel of its own.
Hmmm so much for having an original character with a bow and thinking I was the only one to think of that...

And I know that feeling. Like right now I have about a billion ideas (Some crack) in my head that I want to write but I never have the motivation to even write it...
Like that Lindy vs Leti Yakyuken round I should've done weeks ago
Old 2008-06-25, 22:40   Link #1884
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Haha! We're in the same boat!

*watches Krisslanza die in disgust*

Old 2008-06-26, 02:26   Link #1885
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:

Be glad you don't have Artherion.

Artherion: [Statement: Greetings, is there someone you need killed, master?]

Vivio: O_O

Keroko-chan:
Remind me why I never had you reprogrammed...
That sounded suspiciously like HK-47.

But you could of course, have Cooper's AI, Key.

KEY: "Don't remind them I'm associated with him, it's quite embarrassing that HE programmed me as it is."

Yeah, Key complains a lot.

KEY: "You'd complain too if you spent upwards of sixteen hours a day buried under a shirt, pressed up against a sweaty chest of an overweight slob who's only redeeming qualities are his engineering skills... In case you forgot, that's EXACTLY how I spend sixteen hours a day!"

EDI: "I is highly unlikely that you actually experience any of the physical sensations of such contact seeing as you lack any form of physical sensory input.

KEY: "Hey, jet boy! You wanna start a fight?!"

EDI: "If your desire is to cease functionality in advance of your operational lifetime, I can calculate the most effective method to do so."

KEY: "If that's a YES, BRING IT ON!"

[NEGATIVE! COMBAT IS NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THE MAINTANANCE FACILITY!]
[INSTRUCTIONS ARE TO WITHOLD HOSTILITIES AND STAND DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!]

EDI: "Battery Unit makes a valid point. It would be unwise to engage in combat in this location. As we are, it is not currently possible to engage in any form of combat anyway."

KEY: "Yeah, I guess. I'll kick your aero-elastic ass next time... "

EDI: "I will anticipate the occaision and begin tactical simulations immediately."

[SUCH A COURSE OF ACTION CONTAINS A HIGH PROBABILITY OF BEING A NON-REQUIREMENT!]

EDI: "I know."

KEY: "Wait, is HE MOCKING ME TOO!?"

[AFFIRMATIVE]

KEY: "Oh... just you wait until the next time Cooper plugs me into the M.E.G.A.S..."

Maybe I shouldn't put them in a room together.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 02:48   Link #1886
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Erm... Artherion's VA did voiceacting for HK-47.
Old 2008-06-26, 04:19   Link #1887
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Be glad you don't have Artherion.

Artherion: [Statement: Greetings, is there someone you need killed, master?]

Vivio: O_O

Keroko-chan:
Remind me why I never had you reprogrammed...
HK-47

Another Device would be like:

TSAB GAS Training Grounds

Carnage: [A group of inductees is closing in on our position, my lord. The probability of a favourable outcome can be increased, if we are able to fall back and engage the enemy as we move.]

Elric: Define 'favorable outcome', Carnage.

Cernage: [They all die.]

Elric: That'll do... not... ŹŹ;
Old 2008-06-26, 04:56   Link #1888
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Go forth Syn! Go where I have failed, for if I had picked more skills for that borderline-overloaded skill list I'd have been gunned down for h4xx!!!
I'm still shocked that the only skills people want to use from Archer are tracing and UBW. Seriously, the guy is loaded with skills that quite frankly beat UBW in awesomness, yet nobody uses them.

Quote:
Cartridges have become the defining point of Nanoha, so dumping more of those guys in the foreground out does work from a finance manager's point of view...
Here's to hoping next season will be focussed on Unision.

Quote:
Easy way to fix it is to have everyone have this system. Then those Special Characters, that are without cartridges and you cannot modify their gear, don't become shafted because they stand out! And given some advantages of the magerifles (comes in several flavors from handguns to heavy magecannons), we'll see more being adopted, instead of just Vice.
That's.. what we currently have. Only a few of the main cast don't have cartridges, and they were all shafted.

Quote:
Bows have their own advantages, as for one they do not require line of sight to deliver a volley into an area (assuming that the mage/knight does not know homing magic, which is common because such magic is rather advanced). Hence why Rain of Death is a secondary attack of a Bow-user, while everyone else gets it at tertiary level.
True, though to make a Rain of Death effective you need either a lot of bow users, or one very powerfull one, making its advantage in that regard questionable.

Quote:
I'd would've touched on Staves and their advantages, but I'm really digressing into 40K now...
Meh, I prefer lance or glaive weapons over staves.

Quote:
And the Shiroko image has been reinforced... Will Vivio be Data Collecting spells and stuff for Syn to hurl as bolts?
Well, she won't be shy to share any information she comes across, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
EDIT: Also, if anyone's looking for inspiration on weapon looks, try the weapon options in City of Heroes. Click on each image for a larger version.

Occasionally the pictures do not convey the full sense of the weapon. For example, the Rularuu options, those eyeballs? They move.
Wow, did they upgrade the CoH models? Those look better then what I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Hmmm so much for having an original character with a bow and thinking I was the only one to think of that...
You can always make a hammer wielding character and be the only one again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
And I know that feeling. Like right now I have about a billion ideas (Some crack) in my head that I want to write but I never have the motivation to even write it...
Like that Lindy vs Leti Yakyuken round I should've done weeks ago
I wonder how some people do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
That sounded suspiciously like HK-47.
It should. Artherion's entire personallity is basically a rip from HK-47.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-06-26 at 08:42.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 05:16   Link #1889
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Wow, did they upgrade the CoH models? Those look better then what I remember.
Yes and no; the models themselves were not upgraded, but there are a lot more costume options (with yet more every major patch) which tend to look better than the old ones. If the last time you played was prior to mid-2006, the entire game also got a graphics upgrade that made everything look vaguely better. The trade-off is that now you'll need an awesome computer just to appreciate that.

Of course, if the last time you played was prior to mid-2006, the game's changed so much since then (in terms of setting plot and gameplay) that it's essentially a whole new game.

Quote:
You can always make a hammer wielding character and be the only one again.
This actually made me wonder: what weapons/Devices do all the OCs use? I don't think anyone else has made a spiked-chain user, which means that Ivey's probably still unique.

I'm also not sure who else uses a quarterstaff; Reiz can't be the only melee staff-user in the OC-verse.
Old 2008-06-26, 05:27   Link #1890
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Swords are the most popular choice of weaponry, with polearm and spear weapons comming in second. Gun devices are also pretty popular, possibly rivaling if not surpassing the polearm weaponry, and I do recall seeing a couple of staff users around, but those were usually jeweled caster staffs. Beyond that we have one or two bows, katars and other fist weapons, I remember Kha once had a tower shield in one of his earlier versions, knives, glaives, kusari-gama, and probably a few more I can't recall. Nighty even had a keyblade user.
Old 2008-06-26, 05:41   Link #1891
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Whip user and arm-cannon (like Cobra) here.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 05:43   Link #1892
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Swords are the most popular choice of weaponry, with polearm and spear weapons comming in second. Gun devices are also pretty popular, possibly rivaling if not surpassing the polearm weaponry, and I do recall seeing a couple of staff users around, but those were usually jeweled caster staffs. Beyond that we have one or two bows, katars and other fist weapons, I remember Kha once had a tower shield in one of his earlier versions, knives, glaives, kusari-gama, and probably a few more I can't recall. Nighty even had a keyblade user.
Iiiinteresting.

Should I ask for a quick informal role-call of active OCs and their weapons (or Devices)?
Old 2008-06-26, 05:58   Link #1893
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

Should I ask for a quick informal role-call of active OCs and their weapons (or Devices)?
For mine,
  1. Leona uses Wyrd, which comes in the forms of (a) a pair of rings that utilize special strings called silvyrn for various purposes, including combat; (b) a silver staff almost similar to that of the Monkey King's; and (c) a glaive.
  2. Kratos uses Archangel, which has (a) a glove-bow form and (b) a dual boomerang form.
  3. Gabriel uses Gemini Solaris, which has only one form, as dual chakrams.
  4. Xeno uses Diablos, which is a huge ebony scythe as default; the second form is supposedly a secret, but it's an obsidian flute.
  5. Grandia uses Helios, which is your bread-and-butter longsword, only more elaborately made.
  6. Sharazad uses Leto, a beautiful harp.
  7. Vestrell has Rheia, a pair of vicious claws.
  8. Trystahn uses Prometheus, a blunt-headed runic mace (the kind that's used to stun opponents and crack skulls, without the sharp spikes), and Kronos, a powerful tower shield.
  9. A yet-to-be-revealed character uses yet another staff, but the kind you see wielded by wizards (Saruman the White Wizard, anyone?).

That's about it, I guess.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 06:38   Link #1894
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

1. Elric uses Carnage, a wrist blade/claw like Device.
  2. Rinya uses Windlanze, some sort of nagamaki (A sword blade mounted on a short pole). It's second form is some kind of dual blade weapon.
  3. A yet-not-named-character uses a staff.
  4. Another yet-not-named-character uses dual short swords.

Last edited by Kyral; 2008-06-26 at 06:49.
Kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 07:17   Link #1895
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Celestial Being, Licht von Belka

Kha der Kleriker - Tausend Kreuz, a sword-cross, Stella (Unison Device, petnamed as Sak-tan), Charade (submachinegun-like device) and the Tome of Devotion.
Gimmy Mifuelle - Night and Gale, a pair of revolver tonfas.
Foy Rokker - Inherent Skill Macro Dominator. And his body is his device.
Taiyo Aozora - Magic Suit Masked Rider "IXA", another kind of full body armor, and a spinoff of the Denliner Project (as detailed in Eva's works)
Yui Hiro - a nameless sword-gun and shield set, addressed according to the AI, Zero.

Sankt Alexei Convent, Adeptae Belkarum

Sophia Alexei - Kaleidostick (wand, Precious Force Device), Swert von Zelretch (sword), Dauer (A pair of daggers that transforms into a bow, destroyed halfway through StrikerS)
Keira Nightly - Siren, a pair of bangles with bells and creates a haunting jingle when rung.
Ashley Rouge - (Device currently under redesigning)
"Canoness" - Precious Force Device. Name is classified.

Saint Guard

Artei von Braummuhl - Monohoshizao, a sword made out of a special metal Gerbera Straight, that absorbs mana in any form and strengthens itself, and Grade Terminator (Armor Device) "Kyrios"

Infinite Library

Yuuno Scrya - As stated in SaintX's works.

Unaffiliated

Arisa Bannings - A katana, "Nietono no Shana", that's made of Gerbera Straight, and the various mode releases of Grade Terminator "Throne" as her armor. Uses Eldritch magic school, specializing in Destruction (Void and Fire elements).
Tsukimura Suzuka - "Mikoto", a staff topped off with a cat motif. Uses Eldritch magic.

These are off the top of my head, more when I think of them. I also left out the devices that OCs from non-canon factions use, as well as the massproduction ones grunts of all factions use. If you want I'll list them later.

Yes I have way to many OCs and CCs rebuilt...

Last edited by Kha; 2008-06-26 at 07:29.
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 07:25   Link #1896
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
I'm still shocked that the only skills people want to use from Archer are tracing and UBW. Seriously, the guy is loaded with skills that quite frankly beat UBW in awesomness, yet nobody uses them.
Like what?

Quote:
Here's to hoping next season will be focussed on Unision.
Yeah, that'd be nice

Quote:
That's.. what we currently have. Only a few of the main cast don't have cartridges, and they were all shafted.
Let's see...that's Hayate and...Zafira

Quote:
Meh, I prefer lance or scythe weapons over staves.
Then you're gonna love Fuuko :3

*runs*

Quote:
It should. Artherion's entire personallity is basically a rip from HK-47.
HK-47? What's that?

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

• Maren - No Device, no need for one.
  • Minawa Koji - Air Gladius (upgraded Air Calibur), a sword Device that can shift between single short sword, to a longsword, two-handed sword or even twin swords.
  • Minawa Yui - Undine, a staff shaped Device that turns into a spear with an ice blade in Full Drive.
  • Treize - Sentoukijin, Ex-Number 13. Her IS, Absolute Emulator has the ability to temporarily copy the current form of opponet's device, but has lower durability compared to the original.
  • Colt - Crusader, a sword and shield Device that can change into several types of swords and shields depending on the situation.
  • Mari - Colt's Unison Device.
  • Scarlet - Maren's older sister, also no Device.
That's it

*warps out*

Last edited by FlameSparkZ; 2008-06-26 at 08:06.
FlameSparkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 08:15   Link #1897
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Iiiinteresting.

• -Active OC's:
  • Keroko: Axe Device, reverses its blades in Shooting Mode which gives it a bit of a lance feel, but is not as viable in melee, transforms into a semi-mace in Ethereal Mode.
  • Tesla: Glaive Device, transforms into a spear for its ultimate attack.
  • Uomo: Gauntlet based punching dagger, sister Device to the Revolver Knuckle type, hence the name Revolver Blade.
  • Syn: Bow Device, no alternate forms yet.
    - Inactive OC's:
  • Wes: No Device, Aspect Magic boosts him.
  • Tycho: Sword Device, the blade is magical in nature (In other words, a Lightsaber)
  • Jun: No Device, pure melee combatant.
  • Phanan: Eye Device, an accident caused him to lose his left eye (and a ood part of his face) and his alergy to healing magic forced the bureau to fix him with cybernetic implants, he later on installed his Device in that eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Like what?
The earlier mentioned Rho Aius for one, and lets not forget: He is an Archer, Archers shoot arrows, and Archer destroyed an entire graveyard with his shooting. Granted, at that time he was shooting something that was kind of a cross between an arrow and a sword, but the results were awesome.

Quote:
Then you're gonna love Fuuko :3

*runs*
Just for the record, when I say 'scythe' I mean warscythe type weapons, not farmer scythes. Maybe I should fix that to glaive.

Quote:
HK-47? What's that?
Just your average psycothic assasination droid, nothing to worry about.
Old 2008-06-26, 08:29   Link #1898
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
The earlier mentioned Rho Aius for one, and lets not forget: He is an Archer, Archers shoot arrows, and Archer destroyed an entire graveyard with his shooting. Granted, at that time he was shooting something that was kind of a cross between an arrow and a sword, but the results were awesome.
Must have missed that

Quote:
Just for the record, when I say 'scythe' I mean warscythe type weapons, not farmer scythes. Maybe I should fix that to glaive.
Oh...mind giving an example of a warscythe?

Quote:
Just your average psycothic assasination droid, nothing to worry about.
I see...
Old 2008-06-26, 08:30   Link #1899
Tormenk

*jumps on the wagon for the fun of it*

Device rolecall on my side then.

Katrina
Deviceless due to the fusion of a Lost Logia with her body, the Eye of Fire, changing the mana she channels into a state too volatile for most devices to handle. Has lots of experience handling Armed devices during the pre-TSAB warring period.

Currently using a custom rapier, Surtr, crafted by Jail that is able to match blows with cartridged-enhanced devices. Uses daggers as well to complete her battle style.

Gen
Uses armored gauntlets Eve as primary device and Avatar, an attempt at emulating the BoD's massive storage capabilities.

Jac
Primary form of Specineff is a purple-black rifle-like device. Secondary form(s) employs an unusual scythe as a melee weapon, which can be wielded one-handed or two-handed.

Jag
Ravage takes the form of a over-sized buster sword that has a secondary mode resembling a kwan-dao. Nothing special here.

Jas
Vayeate takes the form of a rifle specializing in long-range sniping and bombardment spells. Her secondary device, Snipe, is a pistol-shaped device that acts as a last resort when threatened at close range.

Jec
The device Mercurius is a near direct port of the defensive weapons employed by a mecha of the same name from Gundam Wing. Twelve disc-shaped storage devices are slaved to a central Intelligent Device; primary strengths lies in the deployment of remote spell-casting away from the mage through the discs, as well as creating mobile shields.

Secondary device, Nighthawk, is a short hafted spear with a V-shaped head to dislodge opposing weapons, and an extendable hidden dagger link from behind.

As for WIP characters, I have a gentlemen with a talking umbrella and another that wields a pillar-shaped sword called the Genesis Star.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 08:41   Link #1900
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Active OCs:
--Rex Atkins uses a sniper rifle device with an alternate assault rifle configuration with a quartet of Blaster Bits built in to enhance his beamspam capabilities. He also has a small pistol-type storage device which he uses as an emergency sidearm.
--Alexander Crestwood uses a pair of Shield Gauntlets, and uses his power over pseudomatter to alter the gauntlets' forms, for instance sprouting a pair of longsword-length blades from behind the knuckles, growing claws from the fingertips, etc.
--Iris is permanently fused with a nameless unison device. Other devices are unable to interface with her due to interference from this unison device.

Also, something I'd like the haxxbusters to take a look at.

I've already mentioned that Alex is the scion of the Crestwood Royal Family, right? Well I got to thinking about some sort of ancestral weapon passed down through the family to serve as Alex's proof of his heritage and I came up with a Device Logia idea based on the Blast Sword from the Slayers novels.

The idea is a sword which acts as a sort of magical battery, constantly draining magic from the atmosphere to charge itself. This charge is used to enhance the sharpness of the blade to absurd levels (at maximum charge, it can sever molecular bonds and cut through solid blocks of just about any metal you can imagine) or the stored magic can be discharged as a single (or a few, haxx-dependent) S-rank spell with no charge time or strain on Alex's linker core. Doing this reduces the sharpness of the blade to normal levels for about 24 hours until the blade recharges itself. Other than this, it acts as a fairly standard intelligent device. Due to its' distinctive appearance, Alex refrains from using this prior to his unveiling of his identity during the HQ attack, and only breaks it out when he really needs to bust some heads. Otherwise, he uses his armor device to dispatch "lesser" foes.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content