AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you drop a series?
Never! No Retreat, No Surrender 9 7.20%
Rarely, unless the anime gives me actual pain 35 28.00%
I try not to 24 19.20%
Sometimes 19 15.20%
Often 16 12.80%
I don't care if it's the first or last episode, I'll drop it 17 13.60%
Always, anime sucks and I'm only here to emo about it 2 1.60%
I hate polls! They try to simplify everything in a manner too shallow for my hipster needs 3 2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-13, 08:19   Link #41
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

I'd take Never but I dropped Ghost in the Shell because it was just way too ugly. I didn't like the way it was drawn,I hated the music's guts,I hated the characters' guts,it just wasn't fun and I watch anime for fun.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:27   Link #42
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I selected "Rarely, unless the anime gives me actual pain", but turned out i finished watching 224 anime (and sequences, and OVAs) while dropped another 112 of them. However only 20 of them was dropped after watching ep 5 through, so mostly was scouting on new anime and drop if it's not interesting.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:47   Link #43
Forsaken_Infinity

Every season, I start watching all the shows that are getting subbed. And I drop down to 3 or so by the end of season. That's pretty huge I guess.

But that poll would be unfair representation of my behavior with this regard. I still watch a heck lot of shows and give dropped shows many chances on a later date. Had to coin flip between the last two choices.
Old 2012-03-13, 09:08   Link #44
starlol

Very often.
I dropped the show whenever i feel that there is nothing i can look forward to even if i continue watching it.
I try to watch at least 3 episodes before dropping any show.
starlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 09:52   Link #45
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This is my experience. There's not that many anime shows that I've watched but personally disliked so much that I explicitly dropped them, making the clear decision to never watch that show again.

But there's a fair number of anime shows that I just lose interest in and effectively "stall". Some of these I eventually get back to and finish off, but not all of them.

So if we count the ones I don't get back to as "drops" (which it makes sense to do after a certain period of time has passed, I think) then it's probably most accurate to say that I "sometimes" drop shows.
Pretty much this. I'm rather surprised that "dropping" a series seems to have such a negative connotation though. Maybe it would be better to call it "indefinitely on hold" because it's not like I dropped them because I eff-in hate it or think it crap. Most of the time I just can't work myself to watch any anime at all, thus I often put a lot of anime on hold, finishing them some season after.
Old 2012-03-13, 10:42   Link #46
Eragon
Still Alive

I try not to drop a show unless it's completely and utterly stupid or has tooo much fanservice(Seikon no Qwaser). One piece is the only show that I dropped because there were too many episodes to catch up on(like 400).
Old 2012-03-13, 14:33   Link #47
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The second option is closest to what I feel but it's a little more complicated than that since I have continued watching shows that are really really bad.

Personally I think there are two requirements for me to stop watching a series:
1) It has to be painful for me to watch
2) I have to lose interest in it.

One might think 1) would automatically lead to 2) but that has never really been the case for me...

[EDIT]

There is also the factor of ongoing series: It's easier to continue with a show when you only have to watch one episode every week.
I'd also like to point out that I don't consider myself to have dropped shows that I've watched one episode of and decided not to follow, because I don't think I picked them up in the first place. So I'm not counting them.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 15:07   Link #48
Riskbreaker

I only ever very rarely drop anime i choose to watch. The only times i ever did was with Shakugan No Shana's second series and Zero No Tsukaima's third series. And that was only purely down to the fact that in both instances, i was really starting to hate the characters involved in both storylines (plus, it didn't help that i'm not a fan of tsundere characters to begin with).

Other than that, i always persevere with a anime if i don't like it at first, just in case it gets better. Thankfully, in a fair few instances, that tended to pay off because otherwise i would've missed out on some brilliant anime over the years.
Riskbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 15:48   Link #49
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
If anyone had asked me back in 2010 how often I drop an anime, the answer would have been almost never. I had no responsibilities back then, but I expected to have almost no time to watch a show should I ever become busy again. The prediction of not having enough time to view anything due to real-life priorities was correct, but ironically the frequency of my anime dropping went from a rare possibility to absolute zero.

From the beginning of 2010 to the end of 2011 I was watching shows almost non-stop. Plowing through several series within a week wasn’t too strenuous a practice, but seeing multiple shows within a relatively short time frame eventually numbs whatever tolerance two years of free time can offer to someone.

Given that even the highest of tolerance thresholds can be broken during a lack of activity, I expected to start abandoning shows much more often now that I’ve become busy again. However my lack of spare time has made me extremely selective in deciding what shows I’m going to watch, which means I’m less likely to drop an anime in the first place. The chances of abandoning a series then become zero because my tolerance is still as high as it ever was, but now it’s not continuously being tested as a result of my lack of spare time.

To put it in the terms of the topic poll, the only reason I’ve ever surrendered was because the enemy was constantly on the attack. Now that I’m not under constant offensive pressure I have more time to scout for threats.

…In hindsight I should have selected the first choice from the thread’s survey.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 15:56   Link #50
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

need one more option

i rarely drop a series because i rarely pick up a new one.
Old 2012-03-13, 18:09   Link #51
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

I don't drop that many series since I always have in mind what I know I'll enjoy. I drop rarely. So "I try not to", but it happens.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 21:35   Link #52
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Sometimes.

It depends really, I try not to but some series are just too much for me. Although I have been dropping series out of boredom quite a bit recently.
Chandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 23:25   Link #53
king12354

I'll drop anything in a heartbeat once I realize that a show is hopeless plotwise (Infinite Stratos, High School DxD) for recent examples. I'll even drop it if I feel like the last episodes aren't worth watching (AnoHana, Kobato). Or if the plot goes too slow and looks like it leads to nowhere (Bleach, Katanagatari). I'll usually finish anything that meets the basic requirements though. All in all, it's somewhere over 50% drop rate with the recent anime series.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 23:44   Link #54
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
I don't drop anything because I don't watch that much anime in the first place. Well, I did drop Bleach and Naruto if that counts...

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos

Last edited by speedyexpress48; 2012-03-14 at 16:46.
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 01:38   Link #55
Xion Valkyrie

It it doesn't make me want to watch the next episode, then I'll either put it on hold (if it has god reviews) or just drop it outright.

I think out of the last season I only watched Fate/Zero and Last Exile 2, and Last Exile 2 is on hold.

I actually dropped Nanoha A's at the 2nd to last episode because I just lost interest. I just read the spoilers instead and called it a day.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 01:42   Link #56
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I'm a bit of a completionist so I'll suffer through just about anything for the sake of saying I'll never have to watch it again.

It's just when something is pretty bad to watch, it creates a bit of a backlog of other shows to watch since I tend to procrastinate on the next episode!!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 04:38   Link #57
Lenaisian
The Undead Summoner

I chose "Rarely, unless it's a pain to watch," I don't drop anime titles often, even though it really wretches my gut (like Yosuga no Sora, School Days)...

My standards are just simple: 1.) something to watch, and 2.) something to enjoy.

I'll just have to list down some titles I've watched to demonstrate how my standards work:

Something to watch:
1.) Rave Masters (the longest I have watched so far)
2.) Tenjou Tenge
3.) Mermaid Melody (gotta admit it, but i've skipped thru the end)
4.) Great Teacher Onizuka
5.) Aki Sora: Inside my Dream OVA 1 and 2 (I was intrigued as to why in the lowest pits of hell did this softcore hentai mini-series were added in the DVD that was meant only for the OVA of KamiNomi)

Something to Enjoy (Most Recent):
1.) R-15
2.) KamiNomi (The World God Only Knows)
3.) K-ON!! (season 2)
4.) HaGaNai (Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai)
5.) Hidan no Aria

these shows are not included on either list:

ON-HOLD (because I can't watch properly when I'm with some company who doesn't FULLY understand the glory and pains of the anime industry and referring it as to only CARTOONS or HENTAI):
1.) KissXSis
2.) Shakugan no Shana F (F as in Final)
3.) Zero no Tsukaima F

... and...

I would not want to watch (mostly long, mainstream animes)
1.) Bleach (local TV network dropped it after 100+ episodes)
2.) Naruto (series)
3.) KH: Reborn
4.) D-Gray Man
5.) Fairy Tail (local TV network dropped it after 50+ episodes, I think?)
6.) Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (season 1 and 2; maybe mecha wasn't my thing..?)

P.S: sorry if you find this biased and/or offensive.

Last edited by Lenaisian; 2012-03-14 at 04:50. Reason: additional info
Lenaisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 06:53   Link #58
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
I drop a lot of animes. In comparison to the majority of anime out there, I'm not very tolerant. Most are dropped after the second episode however. Very few do I drop before the ending.

I can only think of shakugan no shana season 1 and 2, where i drop it just before the end.

The reason I drop a lot is I've never really picked up an anime to watch. I mean the only one I follow now is hellsing which comes out one episode a year (or half a year, it hasn't been consistent). Or carnival phantasm which I didn't really see as an anime series but comic fan-service sketches for type-moon fans.

Dropped guilty crown and beelzebub this year

I think finished and dropped ratio is like 2:1. I don't really add 'dropped' to my anime-planet list because I simply don't remember the titles of the crap I dropped. 263:59 completed vs dropped ratio on anime-planet. Those 59 dropped are the ones that I at least remember the title of.

Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2012-03-14 at 07:03.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 08:59   Link #59
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

On average, I drop one show per season, though current season has proven exceptional with no show that I actively dropped. Ands rarely drop a show if I watched it all the way through. The furthest I dropped a show was at episode 7 (Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai), but I usually drop them long before that. Save some surprises, I can usually tell if I'm gonna like a show from the first few episodes.

I have a few shows from this and previous seasons stalled, but I do plan to finish them eventually, so I'm not counting those.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:28   Link #60
tag1981

I do a fair amount of research on a anime before I watch it. So I have only dropped one anime mid-way through and never plan on going back to it. And that was Highschool Of the Dead. My ultimate disappointment. I am a big fan of the Resident Evil games so I thought this anime was going to be somewhat similar in the serious story telling. Talk about a complete shock and a complete waste of time.
tag1981 is offline   Reply With Quote