AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 98 66.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 23.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 7.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.68%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-22, 19:42   Link #61
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I have to say, Kuze is a fairly inept politician, even for his age... he feels more like a mere bureaucrat. If anything, Sayuri and Yuiichi in this version of Kanon are far quicker in wit and in tongue. A statesman in the making, this Kyuichi... you sly dog. I have to say, his priorities and situational handling has left quite a mark on me.

Then again, those who have the ability to preceive and act accordingly supposively are less likely to ever see the events they forsee to be realised, as they would've acted before the scenario can unfold. That however, doesn't seem to be the case all the time...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2006-12-22 at 19:57.
Old 2006-12-22, 20:25   Link #62
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
There's very little left for me to say here. Second ten for Kanon, and I think the third ten I've ever given an episode of anything.

As Shiro mentioned, the use of the Once Upon a Dream Waltz was absolutely beautiful, and... well, watching Yuuichi in both the ice cream scene with Shiori and then snapping at the Student Council President, I was once again enthralled with Sugita's voice. Fantastic.

Animation was superb, and seeing the interleave work so well was also a huge plus. It'll be interesting to see how they try to blame everything on Mai in ep 13... and exactly what justification they try to give blaming her for the upper windows shattering in rapid-fire time.

Oh, and for one irreverant thought... Mai eating the sausage, just before the dance, and her two lines. Ah... sure, KyoAni. Sure. ^^

And thank you to all the hardworking subbers for a fantastic Christmas present. We love you guys!

-Andiyar
Old 2006-12-22, 21:17   Link #63
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
From this episode :

Geez ( ;^_^)
The other amazing things about those stars is that not only did they take the time to put REAL constellations into that shot:

1. On first glance it looks to me like they decided to draw the correct area of the sky that would have appeared early in the morning shortly before sunrise during that time of year (the clock showed 4:07AM in the anime).

2. The stars each had their own color. Without my old astronomy program I can't verify, but they might have even taken the time to use the correct star colors.

3. If you notice they animated atmospheric disturbance of the starlight. So you can see the dimmer stars winking while the brighter star's light holds steady. Your video quality determines how well you can see that effect. In one of my videos I can see the effect quite well while with the other video I have I can't see much.

Someone really took time out just to animate those stars. O_O
Old 2006-12-22, 21:53   Link #64
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Fantastic episode. Mai is Moe. <3 Kyon1 and Mai are really good dancers. o.o Sweet.

And then an EPIC BATTLE!!! Sayuri-san, nooo~~~ ;_; HULK SMASH! ^^

She has witnesses this time. Surely no one expects her to have been able to bust all of those high windows, and the demon recked havoc for a good bit before Mai brought on teh sword. Student council president must PAY for his insolence.

19:57 - I just found this clip a little odd. It looked like Kyon1 was humping Mai while telling her to be happy. @_@
Shows how much I know about dancing, I guess... >_>
Old 2006-12-22, 22:09   Link #65
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I think anime overemphasizes the stupidity of crowds and people's ability to rationalize things. There's also the fact that the injured students (perhaps I'm optimistic to assume no deaths, but you know how resistant most anime characters to blunt force trauma) won't have sword wounds.
Old 2006-12-22, 22:14   Link #66
Jer
(((( _°Д°)))~hwat!?

Send a message via MSN to Jer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
19:57 - I just found this clip a little odd. It looked like Kyon1 was humping Mai while telling her to be happy. @_@
Ahaha~
Well, kinda. Overall, the episode was fantastic. Mai looks elegant.. just gorgeous. Her various expressions in this episode were priceless moments. Uber win!! Nayuki sleeping is just moe. ++ Sayuri has more screentime which is why I'm gonna rate this episode a 10!
Old 2006-12-22, 22:33   Link #67
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Someone really took time out just to animate those stars. O_O
That's just Kyoto Animation, though. I mean, the amount of detail they put into their work at times is just astonishing.
Old 2006-12-22, 22:35   Link #68
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Eh heh heh heh. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that soon, DanielSong39 (whom I shall refer to from here on as "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named", or "You-Know-Who", or simply "HIM") will come up with more of his meaningless drivel. It's an undeniable fact of life. Oh well.
Actually that's unfair. He did give this episode a 5. He must have really liked it! ;-)

And everyone's entitiled to their own opinions. Even when they're wrong!
Old 2006-12-22, 22:54   Link #69
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
a question to the kanon veterans : was mai THAT obsessed with food in the game /2k2 version?
(i thought she was going to dance with her fork and sausage )
Yes, in the game anyway. I've only been able to play as much as Haeleth released translated so far though (57%).

And I agree about the sausage. I was watching her right hand to see if she was still carting the food along!

I don't recall Ayu coming to live with Minase family in the game, so that was a surprise (in the previous episode). I was also pleasantly surprised that Ayu extolled the virtue of Nayuki to Yuuichi. That was new to me. Yuuichi was surprised by that as well. Funny how KyoAni obeyed the rule of threes when presenting the joke about Ayu's good qualities. The third one she agreed with. You'll understand what I'm babbling about once you've watched it.

I was also waiting for the bit where Yuuichi gets Mai to nod affirmative by waving the bento up and down. That was in the game and I had expected it last episode, so I was glad to see it animated. Small point, but funny, at least to me.

It was interesting how Shiori's last name was revealed at last. I haven't yet played Shiori's arc in the game so I don't know if that's how it happened there but it was made clear very early in the 2002 anime right away. Well done.

Spoiler for Kuze:

Compared to the 2002 version, I really like how Mai's story is being told. Although it seemed like they spent more time than they should have (Toei) on Mai's story in 2002, at the expense of everyone else, even though it still felt rushed (given that there were only 12 episodes), in KyoAni's version it doesn't feel like any time has been wasted so far. Maybe others who have seen the earlier anime will know what I mean. Since they interleaved Mai's introduction with other characters, the storytelling feels much more natural this time around. I'm rambling. Sorry.

This episode and the previous one were excellent pieces of work (well they all have been). All in all, a wonderful Christmas present from Japan.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:08   Link #70
Jaruromania

The veranda scene with Ayu was easily my favorite of the episode. The veranda has been recreated from the game PERFECTLY by KyoAni. Ayu's genuine but absurd concerns and questions for Yuuichi, as well as Yuuichi's responses to them, were hilarious as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 23
It was interesting how Shiori's last name was revealed at last. I haven't yet played Shiori's arc in the game so I don't know if that's how it happened there but it was made clear very early in the 2002 anime right away. Well done.
It was also revealed really early in the game, which kind of put me off, since it makes Yuuichi seem either stupid or really forgetful. This kind of makes more sense, to reveal it to him later and him immediately knowing, since he should at least know all his friends' last names.

I haven't played Shiori arc either, so my only recollection of it is from the 2002 series. But as I recall, the scene where they are
Spoiler:
is incredible.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:34   Link #71
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Now that you mentioned this, this map seemed a bit funny to me...so I used my own star table to check it over.

How should I say this, hmm, yes here it is- Unless you live at a place with a latitude higher than 70' North (aka in the North Pole), you ain't gonna see constellations like this.

It is impossible for anyone in japan to see this celestial sphere in Feburary. The horizon would have cut Ursa Major(おおぐま) into half. Furthermore, assuming that the characters are looking at the night sky vertically, the time should be around 11:00AM, not 4 AM.

The correct way (as in 4:00 am) to look at that picture of the celestial sphere would be to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. Then you will see Auriga (ぎよしや) at the bottom of the picture. Ursa Major's Altitude would be around 55' at NW direction.

It is definitely a goof on KyoAni's part ^_^;;

PS: And they have Saturn in that picture. Can anyone find it? ^_^

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-12-23 at 01:30.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:47   Link #72
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Loved this episode.

Most everything has all ready been said about it.

But my favorite part was how witty Yuuichi was to the student council president. I like how he stood up for Mai. Good stuff!

The battle was well done I have to say. But, everyone could see something strange was happening before Mai ever got that sword. For the student council president to blame her for it is rather absurd, imo.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:49   Link #73
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(Either that, or Nayuki, AKA Asakura, really is in Yellowknife... but I am positive that the town looks nothing like how the animation has shown it.)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-12-23, 00:13   Link #74
Pakxenon
popcorn

Aside from a few tasteless moments (I didn't find the karate chop very funny - more on the dumb side), I give this a 10/10 for the Ayu, the Shiori, the chibi Nayuki, the head-bumping Nayuki + Keropi, the waltz, and the fight. The cliffhanger is KILLING me!
Old 2006-12-23, 00:54   Link #75
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

One thing about the Static Subs/Eclipse translation that I think should be pointed out is that they used the word "sick" instead of "a cold." I think it makes more sense to use the latter for "kaze."

Friend: "Um, why is she at school?"
Yuuichi: "She's absent from school because she's sick, right? ..." (because she has a cold, right?)
Friend: "Sick?" (A cold?) "She's not sick." (She doesn't have a cold.)

It's a minor point, perhaps, but the point isn't whether she's sick or not. She's been absent from school since the entrance ceremony at the start of the first semester, as revealed by her freshman friend.

Spoiler for minor, if you've been watching closely so far:

I don't know how other fansubs handled this scene (about 9 minutes into the episode). So whatever. Sorry for the minutae. ;-)
Old 2006-12-23, 01:10   Link #76
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

I think its high time we asked for the Perfect 11 rating.

KyoAni is doing a tremendous job. The ballroom sequence was awesome, except for the part close to 19:57, which looked very odd, frankly. The story developed for every character in this episode. In fact I never expected seeing much of others in this episode.

Chibis rock again. I simply feel bad for Nayuki who just doesnt get noticed. But Mai definitely sole the show. She really rocked in that costume. My jaws lterally fell down when i saw her face.

"Orewa Mai no itsumo soba ni hoshi" (I wonder if i was able to frame that right)
Old 2006-12-23, 01:19   Link #77
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Everything makes sense now.

MAI IS FIGHTING SAI!!! LOLOLOL.

<LOL>Kyoto Animation : Following the journeys of emo sad girls in snow remake, apparently the internet fandom has been claiming us to be remake gods, despite only having remade one series. Apparently, that's how good we are. Therefore, we would like to fakishly announce that Kyoto Animation has decided to embark on our best selling franchise "Sad *gender* in *season(s)*", and remake Hikaru no Go cross-overed with Key. Sad Boy with Ghost x Sad Girls in Snow. It'll be our monumental original studio animation landmark.

Hikaru no Go : A Second Rebirth coming to you at 20XX. <LOL>

Jokes aside, I may flammed for this, but despite all the animation prowess the dance scene exhumes...

Kuroyanagi's [hips forward and back movement during the dance] >> Yuuichi's.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-12-23, 01:40   Link #78
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

I too wondered about Yuuichi's hip movements during the dance sequence. Was he trying to score, merely trying to outdo Kitagawa's Elvis impersonation, or simply didn't know how to ballroom dance?

Whatever the reason, I understand, Yuuichi. I understand. Mai was omega kawaii.
Old 2006-12-23, 01:45   Link #79
michaelman90

This episode was awesome. Period. All hail KyoAni.

I don't remember finding the ball scene in Toei's version near as entertaining as this one (I'd have to watch it again to compare aesthetics, but I'm willing to bet the KyoAni version wins in that department as well..). I gave it a 10/10, because my standards aren't near as high as others out there (and even if they were, I'm more
generous ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
and what about her cute fixation on the bento box?
That scene was the inspiration of...
MY FIRST EVER SELF-MADE AVY!!

And the people rejoiced...

I'll get better at it (I hope...)
Old 2006-12-23, 01:46   Link #80
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Lambada (the whole hip-dance thingy) can be danced in a ballroom dance.

Though I found Yuuichi's dance transition to Lambada a little out of place. Meh, what do I know, I've only done ballroom dances twice in my life.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Closed Thread