AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Mai Hime or Mai Otome, Which do you like more?
Mai Hime 223 62.82%
Mai Otome 59 16.62%
Both Equally 73 20.56%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-07, 15:14   Link #41
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
HiME. That anime was a masterpiece IMO. It even made me cry which doesn't happen that often
I don't think the ending sucked that much.

And, uh, besides - Otome was just one disaster in the end..
Old 2006-04-07, 15:39   Link #42
Bossman

Definately Hime, the battles were much better in that one and all himes were quite unique where as in Mai Otome their powers are very similar.
Old 2006-04-07, 15:50   Link #43
AmamiYui

Another vote for HiME. Nothing in Otome can touch HiMElander arc in intensity, story and execution wise.

And Mezame > Materialise.
Old 2006-04-07, 16:32   Link #44
viet80

I prefer both
Old 2006-04-07, 19:46   Link #45
hokysioh

so, as you see mai-hime is still and will be the best compared to mai-otome. Otome is just not a match to hime cause it was lame...And all the people who chose Mai-Otome u people need to open your eyes or watch it again from the begining of hime to otome and then choose
Old 2006-04-07, 19:50   Link #46
Solitaire

Overall I felt more moved by Mai HiME - I liked majority of the characters,it had good quality fights,nice character development,flowed nicely,good music and had many interesting plot twists.

Since My-HiME is my favourite anime I feel a bit biased for saying Mai Otome is my second favourite anime because of My-HiME anyway. If it didn't have the same characters,music and the anticipation to see if it would be have the same plot twists as HiME...I'm not sure if I would of liked it as much. I am disappointed not seeing my favourite characters as much as the others...Nao,Mai,Mikoto,Akira...but I also fell in love with new characters such as Tomoe,Akira,Mashiro and well a variety of the minor characters introduced near the end. I felt as if a lot of it's potential was wasted, although I still found it to be more enjoyable than ever other anime I've seen beside HiME...not that much, but more than enough to keep me satisfied each week. One thing I did like is no reset and the last 3 episodes have just been just amazing to me. If only more characters actually died and had an emotional downfall just like Aoi(like what Erstin should of go, considering I didn't feel bad for her at all ==)...I feel it would of been better if it was 52 episodes and didn't have so many pointless episodes...but to be fair I thought the episodes I liked flowed much more nicely than in Mai HiME because of the story telling. In HiME, it was usually one part of the episode I found was good, while the other parts seemed to just be average. In Mai Otome I can think of many ,action-packed, touching and dramatic episodes that I can watch over and over again - 7,10,12,18,24,25,26. And even though I'd still rate the music for Otome 10/10, just having the Materialize vocal song didn't seem like enough. Mezame and Dhuran's theme were far superior and the OST even included the instrumental version for Mezame as well. I also think it's funny that the series is called Mai Otome, but Mai didn't even have any scenes that strike me as interesting. She looks awesome and all, but I thought atleast her introduction into the series would be dramatic or atleast she'd have a decent fight scene...feel shafted I didn't get to see a materialize scene for her or a proper one for Nao either, but meh xD. I just hope the OAV will have new music and give other characters a bit more screen time.
Old 2006-04-07, 21:21   Link #47
Akuma-sama
Purr, good kitty...

I would have liked Otome a LOT more if it didn't have the Black Knight Syndrome. You know what that is?
Nagi: "HAH! I just shot you in the HEAD!"
Sergei: "...it's just a flesh wound."
Nagi: "YOU LIE!"

...and Nagi as King Arthur is a very, very disturbing thought.

That said, I liked HiME a LOT better. HiME was about 12 girls stuck in a situation they didn't want, forced to fight those they thought as friends (or kill their own loved ones by killing their rivals, ne Shiho?), to prevent the end of the world. The ending was kinda meh, but after much reflection, I find it more satisfactory than the alternative "bad" ending... Mai ending up all alone, having beaten Mikoto and the Obsidian lord... or even having been forced to wed him to enter the next festival, would have been extremely painful.

Otome... if the war of the twelve kings had been explained better, more dramatically, then fine. If the characters would just KINDLY STAY DEAD (Tomoe, damnit, you're not superwoman, you can't survive a kilometer-high fall without your robe! SERGEI, 'nuff said!!), then it would have been good.
The first half was very well handled... mostly, except that Tomoe's jealousy had no real basis. Really, Otome is a case of the base having been hastily built; they focused too much on the "decorations" (introducing robes and HiME characters) instead of building the real plot. Hence, when the war starts, it looks like it's one deus ex machina after another, more meant to service the fans than telling a coherent story. Case in point, Miyu's very last scene. Did they need to complicate things further by adding that place?!
It's been said before, but Otome could have been spread into a 52 episode anime. If the war had been like 15 episodes instead of ~6, there would have been a LOT more time for it to really settle. Hell, the nature of Nagi's dictatorship on Windbloom gets one measly little hint!

...that, and Sergei simply wouldn't die. If he'd died, the series would have been saved, I think.
Honestly, I know there are some who say men think with their d*ck, but even mastah pimp shouldn't be able to survive a bullet in the head...
...I think.
Hmm... This bears reflection...
Old 2006-04-07, 22:18   Link #48
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Both...all characters unite again, along with new ones. Both are awsome, my only pet peeve about the series being Sergey. LOL
Old 2006-04-08, 13:35   Link #49
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
To Solitaire:

Erm...I think mashiro is also in Mai HiME series...the director...same as Akira...he's Mai's brother's friend/love...remember the 'secret ninga of Fuuka Academy'? That's her

And Serget *did* die, but the organ turned time backwards for him where he wasn't killed yet, but in the end it's still not able to completely reverse the damage, but instead completely reversed his memory...

but still, I think Mai HiME is much better.
Old 2006-04-08, 13:54   Link #50
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokysioh
im just saying mai-otome was stupid cause everyone forgot who mai's brother was and that how does midori chan have her child still and some thing happened to mikoto's brother (reito) that he turned into a cyborg... and the story was stupid they should of never even mad mai-otome,, or they should of made it as a sequel, cause it is completely different story and they dont even how mai alot, when the title is (mai-otome),, it is the worst anime i have ever seen
Okay I know Mai Otome is bad but NOT that bad...please refrain yourself from the flaming before you DO SOME THINKING.

Midori's 'child' is not the child like you see from Mai HiME. It's a slave, but just a more advanced version(since she's the leader, she can always have the best equipment)

Reito is not mikoto's brother in Mai Otome. Think of it again, boy.

You say the author don't know Mai enough, then who ELSE would know Mai better, eh?

About the title...I can't blame you...the Englishmen just decided to make a up a title completely different from the one they're supposed to be. The *real* title for Mai Otome is Mai[Z]-HiME, where [Z] is a Chinese/Japanese character, which in this case mean 'secondary'. The original full name of an Otome is [Z] HiME, stands for:
[Z] type
Highly-advanced
Materialising
Equipment

which is made by Serras, an aritficial HiME whose power is compared to an Orphan(an Otome's simbal is the same of the Orphan) from Mai HiME.
the word [Z] is pretty hard to translate itself(since it's from ancient language), and Mai-secondary HiME sounds crap, the Englishmen have decided to give it a name to whatever they like, hence Mai-Otome...
Old 2006-04-20, 23:51   Link #51
Sabu113

Thumbs up

Mai Hime was a LOT better than Mai Otome. There is almost no comparison. Hime is far deeper and far better done. The story is always gripping. There's an actual emotional attachment and it actually meant something when **** hit the fan and somone got killed. The characters were very real and it was very easy to become immersed in the story. It is probally one of the best animes ever created, just because of its beautiful character development. (9.6/10)
*The ending while kinda corny wasn't too bad because we actually cared that those people had died, so it's okay.

Mai Otome is a good anime. It's not even near as good as Hime, but it's a good anime in it's own right. It was a decent story and they did manage to create an interesting concept. Execution however was nothing like Hime and by the design probally, the emotional connection was almost non-existant. Plus the ending really sucked... cmon more than one picture of it give me something like gundam wing.. 4 episodes on the final battle, but each rocked. (4 might be stretching it for otome but you get the point) (7.6/10)

My biggest gripe though is that there isnt any direct sequel to Mai Hime. Even a fumoffu would be nice. Mai is such a wonderful character... theres still time for her, natsuki and co to make their school interesting. Maybe slice of life/ fumoffuish OSTs? would be nice.
Old 2006-04-21, 15:50   Link #52
shinigami1101
Its spelled nookyouler XD

Location: Trapped between the real world and a fantasy created by my mind.
Send a message via AIM to shinigami1101
i vote for HiME because i really appreciate a story with plot twists that i cant predict.
Old 2006-04-22, 21:44   Link #53
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokysioh
so, as you see mai-hime is still and will be the best compared to mai-otome. Otome is just not a match to hime cause it was lame...And all the people who chose Mai-Otome u people need to open your eyes or watch it again from the begining of hime to otome and then choose
That's your opinion, not a fact. If Mai Otome was so lame, why did you waste your time watching it? Don't like it, don't finish it, it's just that simple.
Old 2006-04-22, 23:40   Link #54
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Mai Hime, definately. I do like Mai Otome, and it was enjoyable for what it is, but Hime is one of my favorite series now. I can't say that for Otome. Also, as for the Hime ending, I can see where people have their complaints, but I liked it, I'm glad to see a happy ending turn up, and as one person sugested, the alternative would have been a real sad ending. If you think about it, every other time Himes came together to fight, it resulted in all but one making it. In Hime, they broke the cycle, so the nice ending where things were undone was a victorious matter. Heh, my 2 cents on the ending.

About Hime again, as people have said, it was handled better. More gripping, more emotional. Drama and comedy pulled off better (especially the drama). Better action, more dynamic, better presentation of story and plot. That's my take on the two. Mai Otome is to Mai Hime as Metal Gear Solid 2 is to Metal Gear Solid. The sequels were still good in their own right, but did not outshine their predecessors.

If their is a third installment in the Mai Universe, I hope it lives up to Mai Hime more than Mai Otome has.
Old 2006-04-23, 10:43   Link #55
Haseo
The Terror Of Death

Location: Hell, North Carolina, United States of the Shitty America
Send a message via AIM to Haseo Send a message via MSN to Haseo
I'd have to go with Mai-HiME. And I'd have to agree whole heartedly with Urzu. Mai-Otome was good, I like the things that went on, and the anime in general. It just didn't have the same grip on me as Mai-HiME.
Old 2006-04-23, 18:15   Link #56
ShinigamiRukia
Ketchup Drinker

Send a message via MSN to ShinigamiRukia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseo
I'd have to go with Mai-HiME. And I'd have to agree whole heartedly with Urzu. Mai-Otome was good, I like the things that went on, and the anime in general. It just didn't have the same grip on me as Mai-HiME.
Yup I would have to agree with both of you, i like Mai-HiME much more that Mai-Otome.But Mai-Otome wasn't all that bad I think....

Thanks mangalowres for the avatar ^^
Thanks vandakiara
for the sig. ^^
Old 2006-04-26, 21:22   Link #57
User36564
Inactive Member

Mai Hime is definately FAR superior than Otome. Mai Otome doesn't have a real story line. The pacing is totally off. The only redeeming factors are the soundtrack and the art.

Mai Hime was fantastic!
Old 2006-04-26, 23:34   Link #58
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
If Mai Otome was so lame, why did you waste your time watching it? Don't like it, don't finish it, it's just that simple.
Well, in order to compare the two honestly, both have to be watched fully (meaning until the end). And there you have it boys and girls, a prime example of the fact that sequels don't usually live up to their originals.
Old 2006-05-05, 23:03   Link #59
kaira15753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
That's your opinion, not a fact. If Mai Otome was so lame, why did you waste your time watching it? Don't like it, don't finish it, it's just that simple.
Obviously it's an opinion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. and how can u stop watching something once you start. And plus if u watch an anime that was good and the sequel comes out u probably think it's as good as the original.
Old 2006-05-08, 02:00   Link #60
AMon10A

I would have to say, after watching the first 4 eps of Mai Hime again the show is much better carfted then otome. Don't get me wrong I mean Otome was a great show and I enjoyed what I saw. I think a great metaphor for the two shows would be to compare the opening scenes on the ferries. Mai was already on the ship headed for the school and poor hapless Arika got passed by the ship and was left to walk to the school. My vote gose to Mai Hime purely on being very well put together compared to Mai Otome and the over all tone of Hime. My only fault with it would of course be the ending sort of, but I suppose it was only fair given that up to the point of it they had either killed or incapcitated most of the cast and unless your trying to end on a depressing note. sorry if this is a little incoherent. I'd just like to add that I beleive that Otome suffered from a little Destinyits mind you it wasn't much since the ending made sense.
Closed Thread