AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-06, 22:41   Link #2141
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
His characterization? He would have gone to the village to investigate.
"Hey Hikari, calm down dude!"
"Hey Hikari, don't do that man, the Sea God won't like that!"
"Hey Miuna, sit tight and don't go anywhere!"

That's some characterization, .

Don't get me wrong, Kaname's my favorite character because of the unlimited suffering potential that's waiting in store for him but man, considering that the first half was entirely centered on Miuna, Hikari, Manaka, can't a man at least ask for more screen time for everybody's favorite psycho in the second half?

There are eight episodes left, of course, but when the episode centers on a place he cherishes too only to have completely zero screen time save for the above lines, clearly something's wrong. Unless Okada plans on revealing Kaname to be a scale of the Sea God in secret or something, .

Japan needs to stop with the best friend gets the short end of the stick trope, it's getting pretty annoying (which is probably the main reason why I stay away from harems entirely but I digress).
Old 2014-02-06, 22:47   Link #2142
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
"Hey Hikari, calm down dude!"
"Hey Hikari, don't do that man, the Sea God won't like that!"
"Hey Miuna, sit tight and don't go anywhere!"
In other words, he was the voice of caution and consideration relative to the more emotional/impulsive Hikari and Miuna. I think that's a good role for Kaname, reflective of his generally calm intelligence, and making him a foil for the other two character.

And... Kaname's a psycho? Where the heck did you get that from?
Old 2014-02-06, 22:51   Link #2143
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
There are eight episodes left, of course, but when the episode centers on a place he cherishes too only to have completely zero screen time save for the above lines, clearly something's wrong. Unless Okada plans on revealing Kaname to be a scale of the Sea God in secret or something, .

Japan needs to stop with the best friend gets the short end of the stick trope, it's getting pretty annoying (which is probably the main reason why I stay away from harems entirely but I digress).
Even Visual Art Key does the same to the MC's friends...
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 22:58   Link #2144
Hero of the day
Masa~san <3

Dayum fantastic episode. I certainly did not expect Manaka to be back this early. I had dead sea vibes going throughout the episode; complete with creepy dolls, illusions of the past and sub-zero atmosphere. I've also noticed that the women from the sea are slowly heading towards the surface. First Akari, then Chisaki and now Manaka. It's like they want the sea people to go extinct. Well who cares about that when you're gonna outlive the surface people anyway? (thank you hibernation) The SeaGod is pissed, he's gonna let the surface die from Saltflake snow now, that's what you can for taking his bride! Well it's not like Hikari had a choice, Manaka started losing her ena and began drowning. I expected the Sea God to put a tough resistance but it seems all he could do was collapse the place. Where are your goddamn water whips? Is this an indication that his powers are growing weaker? Why was the shrine destroyed? Why did Manaka lose her ena anyway? Is it part of the sacrificial process where the bride will die soon and become one with the Sea God? Why are Miuna's shoulders so smooth? And 2nd Ofunehiki is basically confirmed. I will bawl my eyes out when I see Hikari wear his old sea uniform and becomes the flag bearer again.

I expect Manaka to be in the new OP too.
Hero of the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 23:00   Link #2145
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In other words, he was the voice of caution and consideration relative to the more emotional/impulsive Hikari and Miuna. I think that's a good role for Kaname, reflective of his generally calm intelligence, and making him a foil for the other two character.

I was going to say this. Going there would also be his choice which makes sense with his characterization, just like Chisaki didn't when she had the option. Also where did the psycho thing came from? He can be passive-aggressive while Tsumugu's passive and Hikari is aggressive, but psycho?

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 23:09   Link #2146
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple
Ah, that was a nickname that 4chan popularized after the first episode, due to his joke about how Chisaki's chances will be better with Hikari if Manaka's out of the running (combined with the fact that, being the first episode, there wasn't much else in the way of characterization to go off at the time). Kaname's of course a very stable and reasonable character in actuality, but yeah...

Thess, how is Kaname a 'Nice Guy'? He's a sincere friend of Chisaki's that just so happens to like her, I don't recall anything even remotely manipulative about his behavior.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 23:22   Link #2147
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Ah, that was a nickname that 4chan popularized after the first episode, due to his joke about how Chisaki's chances will be better with Hikari if Manaka's out of the running (combined with the fact that, being the first episode, there wasn't much else in the way of characterization to go off at the time). Kaname's of course a very stable and reasonable character in actuality, but yeah...
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Episode 1 was ages ago, so I don't remember the context, but if I had to guess, Kaname probably just meant that Chisaki should be glad at Manaka crushing on a land-dweller. The alternate interpretation is funny though...
Old 2014-02-07, 02:37   Link #2148
Thess

Quote:
Oh okay... I still fail to see how this applies, that remark is classy passive-aggressive behavior of Kaname voicing Chisaki's wish to have Manaka love Tsumugu and get her 'out the way'. Kaname rubbed it on her face.

Quote:
Thess, how is Kaname a 'Nice Guy'? He's a sincere friend of Chisaki's that just so happens to like her, I don't recall anything even remotely manipulative about his behavior.
Kaname admitted he wanted to spend time with her because he liked her, his actions were never sincere of helping people. His attitude, patiently waiting for her knowing Hikari will never return her feelings and knowing Chisaki's insecurity and self isolation is a touch manipulative and pressuring. He kept reminding her his feelings and makes her feel guilty, I gave a comparison with Hikari and Manaka on this. Hikari honestly supports Manaka's feelings for Tsumugu, it hurts him, but unlike Kaname there's no real pressuring or expectation from his part. Tsumugu lacks this too with Chisaki who, despite of his obvious attraction, never tried to confess because she was emotionally vulnerable. He told her right-way about Hikari, even told Hikari to go and see her.

Kaname has obvious signs of Nice Guy vs nice guy (Tsumugu who keeps pushing Chisaki away, leave a year to help her people without asking anything in exchange, Chisaki takes her own choices. Their answer to Chisaki's question: "Should I go?" is an example of Kaname and Tsumugu, both care for her, one is 'nicely' giving her a suggestion and the other wants her to take her own choices as adult even if he comes across as standoffish). This contrast was also present in the first half, Chisaki was the one who sought out Tsumugu as comfort and confidant. Kaname is the one who chases Chisaki to be her comfort (which he revealed to be 'excuses' to spend time with her).

He is actually a nice guy to Sayu, for instance. And Hikari. It's just with Chisaki who comes across like this. It's all fine too, because it makes Kaname nicely flawed and unable to deal with hormones and love feelings.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 04:16   Link #2149
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Man, that was fast.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 04:19   Link #2150
ices
Working Hard

Be careful with your wish

ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 06:54   Link #2151
kira22

may happen that Chisaki try jealousy of tsugumu after the return of Manaka.
kira22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 07:44   Link #2152
Sakuratsuki

The most people think that the pairings are already confirmed (like hikari x manaka etc). But I only want to say, this time it is not the case. Like the picture Ices posted. The question is: 'why does Manaka want to lose her ena?' It is obvious because of Tsumugu.

I don't ship anyone, but I think Okada will do something else this time. Because there are enough hints for other possible pairings.
Old 2014-02-07, 07:57   Link #2153
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
Be careful with your wish

Where is that screenshot from? An older episode, or a preview of the next episode?
Old 2014-02-07, 08:14   Link #2154
ReinhartX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Where is that screenshot from? An older episode, or a preview of the next episode?
episode 10 ...where they were having the feast before hiberation

on other notes... i really want OST played when they found her till the end ...it sounds so heavenly
ReinhartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 08:18   Link #2155
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinhartX View Post
episode 10 ...where they were having the feast before hiberation
Thank you for that. Well then, I don't think that comment had anything to do with Tsumugu. I think that was just Manaka's way of saying she didn't want to go into hibernation for several years. Which makes sense given that she was afraid that her and/or some of her friends/loved ones wouldn't be waking back up...
Old 2014-02-07, 12:14   Link #2156
erdii

well now that manaka woke up all relationships are mess. if Manaka had any lingering feeling for tsugumu, the series would be perfect for me. complete chaos well I really hope she still feels something for tsumugu
Old 2014-02-07, 13:45   Link #2157
EroKing

Images
More Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-02-07, 13:54   Link #2158
deadite

I wonder what kind of process was Manaka undergoing. Do you think she would really die or is this Hikari's misconception? Why do I have the feeling that Manaka decides to go back to sleep? Why are only the sea kids naked but the others aren't. Is there anything more to this?
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 15:33   Link #2159
shaqpabst

If anything we notice sense the time skip that the series has been centering more towards Miuna and Sayu which is perfectly fine it even gave me an understanding of the characters more and made me appreciate them more.

But with that said, now that Manaka is back those girls are gonna be in the back burners for the people they like, with not even a second glance which pisses me off sense I believe Miuna deserves Hikari if anybody
shaqpabst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 20:59   Link #2160
MCAL

This was very atmospheric. I felt pretty tense throughout the entire episode, though I could do without Miuna tearing up every dramatic moment and her chewing on those pocky sticks seemed out of place to me. Without a doubt though, the scene between Hikari and his dad was the best moment of the episode. And judging by the preview, he seems to be taking the narrator role back from Miuna which is completely fine by me.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen