AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-19, 14:13   Link #1
Camus

Anime for me and the wife

I been an anime fan since I was a kid, great classic animes like saint seiya, mazinger got me hooked.

But I recentlly got married and I'm having a hard time getting my wife to have the same appreciation for anime. I got her to watch all of naruto with me and the 1st season of school rumble and I also got her to watch The Twelve Kingdoms, she really liked that one, we watched in 3 days. But aside that I can't seem to find animes that we would both like.

The animes I like are all aimed at guys and the animes that are aimed for girls don't seem very appealing to me. Is there animes out there that have a little bit of both so we can both enjoy, I'm really having a hard time finding animes like these. Any of you guys have suggestion of animes you have shared with your girl friend or wife that you both liked? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2007-09-19, 14:43   Link #2
mdauben

What sort of non-anime movies and TV series does she like? Your best bet would be to find something along those lines as an introduction to the field for her.

I suppose the sterotypical recomendation would be some sort of romantic comedy anime. Two possibilites I know of are Nodame Cantabile and Lovely Complex. They include lots of "guy accessable" comedy, without indulging in the sort of fanservice common in romatic comedies specifically aimed at guys (but which turns off a lot of girls). Both of these are actually at least in part aimed at female audiences, but avoid the sort of overdone melodrama common in a lot of "shoujo" anime. The only problem is that neither of them is licenced in the US, so you would need to watch fansubs, and I don't know how she feels about watching subtitled shows?
Old 2007-09-19, 14:58   Link #3
Camus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
What sort of non-anime movies and TV series does she like? Your best bet would be to find something along those lines as an introduction to the field for her.

I suppose the sterotypical recomendation would be some sort of romantic comedy anime. Two possibilites I know of are Nodame Cantabile and Lovely Complex. They include lots of "guy accessable" comedy, without indulging in the sort of fanservice common in romatic comedies specifically aimed at guys (but which turns off a lot of girls). Both of these are actually at least in part aimed at female audiences, but avoid the sort of overdone melodrama common in a lot of "shoujo" anime. The only problem is that neither of them is licenced in the US, so you would need to watch fansubs, and I don't know how she feels about watching subtitled shows?
well, she doesn't watch anime, I'm the one who is trying to get her to watch more so we can have another common interest. aside from sailor moon when she was a kid and the animes I mentioned above she hasn't see much. as far as tv goes, well she likes smallville some others that I don't remembers and we watch House and Law and Order together.

Yeah, I'm going to check out both of your recommendations Nodame Cantabile sounds pretty interesting, not too sure on Lovely Complex it kinda sounds too mushy for my taste although she might like it. Its hard to find middle ground anime most romantic commedies are either for guys or girls and very little in between. Thanks a lot for the rocommendations mdauben, much appreciated .
Old 2007-09-19, 15:02   Link #4
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
LoL why naruto?

How about something mature?

Tragic/Tearful/Romance - Try Kimi ga nozomu eien

Horror/gore/WTFness - Try Elfen Lied, Hellsing

Funny/LMAO - Try Seto no Hanayome (not mature as such but really funny)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-09-19, 15:29   Link #5
Camus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
LoL why naruto?

How about something mature?

Tragic/Tearful/Romance - Try Kimi ga nozomu eien

Horror/gore/WTFness - Try Elfen Lied, Hellsing

Funny/LMAO - Try Seto no Hanayome (not mature as such but really funny)
Ugh! never! I got deceived into watching Kimi ga Nosomu eien and I was depressed for like a week, I'm not a massochist and wouldn't want to go trought that again.

I have seen Elfen Lied and don't really feel like watching it again, Hellsing I might have to look into. As for Seto no Hanayome, yeah we started watching that but stopped with that episode where they had the singing competition, that was a big turnoff for us.

Thanks for the suggestions Deathkillz
Old 2007-09-19, 15:40   Link #6
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camus View Post
Yeah, I'm going to check out both of your recommendations Nodame Cantabile sounds pretty interesting, not too sure on Lovely Complex it kinda sounds too mushy for my taste although she might like it.
Well, Lovely Complex does have some "mushy" moments, but its got a lot of very funny characters and situations, too, and most of the fans of the series seem to like it for those reasons. Still, it is definely a romantic comedy, so if you are not into the romance you might not enjoy it as much.
Old 2007-09-19, 16:10   Link #7
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Anime for both mmm. Bit hard to decide. But i'll just go by the list of anime i enjoyed and would dare showing my sis

Have you tried the Full Metal Panic series? I really believe everyone can enjoy it.
Byousoku 5 Centimeter
Aria the Animation Slice of Life. Soothes the mind watching it
Tsubasa Chronicle Magic/Fantasy/adventure.
Utawarerumono Seeing you mention 12 kingdoms. Perhaps utawarerumono can sort of offer something interesting for both of you.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2007-09-19, 16:29   Link #8
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

you could try Death Note and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni... they're really good regardless of whether you're a guy or a girl...

as i'm a girl, i haven't shared them with a girlfriend or a wife, though... *keff*
Old 2007-09-19, 16:45   Link #9
Furudanuki

Here are some series that my wife and I are watching together now or have enjoyed in the past:

ARIA - Drama, Comedy, Science fiction, Slice of life
Azumanga Daioh - Comedy, Slice of life, School
Ghost Hunt - Comedy, Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Supernatural
Karin - Comedy, Romance, Supernatural, School
Nodame Cantabile - Comedy, Romance, Music
Ouran High School Host Club - Comedy, Drama, Romance, School
Scrapped Princess - Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Science Fiction
Seirei no Moribito - Adventure, Fantasy
Old 2007-09-19, 16:51   Link #10
Kirarakim

How about Fullmetal Alchemist, it has some great action scenes but also a great plot and a sentimental aspect.

Although it's a romantic comedy I think Maison Ikkoku has stuff that would appeal to both you and your wife.
Old 2007-09-19, 17:53   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There are many great recommendations in this thread; let me add a few more.

First, there's Hataraki Man, a show about the travails of a 28-yo female editor working in a Japanese publishing house. The show drew a substantial audience of adults when it showed in Japan. (11 episodes; unlicensed)

Next, you might try Saiunkoku Monogatari, a fantasy adventure romance that has some similarities in terms of setting with Junni Kokki. The heroine is a feisty young woman who wants to become the first female imperial official in Saiunkoku. (39 episodes; licensed; season two is now airing in Japan)

Another series you might both enjoy is Bartender, a slice-of-life show about life, love, and the ties between alcoholic beverages and human memories. The first episode is a bit slow, but it gets better quickly. (11 episodes; unlicensed)

Next, how about a couple of movies? While all the Miyazaki films are worth watching, my personal favorite is Mononoke Hime (aka Princess Mononoke), a complex meditation on the relationship between nature and human progress. Another movie you might enjoy is Millennium Actress, which portrays the history of 20th century Japan by following the career of a Japanese film actress.

For all-out hilarity, you might try School Rumble or Jungle wa Itsumo Hale noche Guu. The first is the best high-school romantic comedy I've ever seen; the latter is undescribably weird and funny as hell. (SR is 26+26 episodes over two seasons; Guu is 26; both are licensed)

If you like science fiction you could try Noein or Dennou Coil. Noein is complete in 24 episodes, and the last DVD shipped this week. Dennou Coil is ongoing and unlicensed.

Finally, if you're willing to invest some time, you should try watching Monster, perhaps one of the best television series I've ever watched in any medium. The protagonist is a Japanese doctor practicing in Japan who becomes involved with a serial killer; if you like House and Law and Order, you'll probably like Monster as well. (74 episodes; unlicensed)

Of those already mentioned, I'd second Seirei no Moribito, Nodame Cantabile, and Azumanga Daioh.
Old 2007-09-19, 17:54   Link #12
DanielSong39

Without a doubt, School Days.

Great characters, a soap-opera plot, and a delicious ending (whenever that arrives).
Old 2007-09-19, 19:02   Link #13
Camus

wow thanks guys, these are all very good suggestions, I don't even know where to start. I guess we will just work down the list, so far Nodame Cantabile is pretty funny we both like it. Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 2007-09-19, 21:11   Link #14
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
From my own experience if you want more adult anime that has more of a realistic theme to it, I'd recommend Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, NHK ni Youkoso!, Byousoku 5 Centimetre, and maybe Elfen Lied or Nodame Cantabile.
Old 2007-09-19, 21:16   Link #15
tyc00

Have you tried Great Teacher Onizuka? That's a great one that I watch with my sister and she usually hates anime. She's 30 by the way so she's kinda mature. The Crest and Banner of the stars series is also really great, though I'm not sure how into sci-fi you are. But it is a great mature series. Fantastic Children is also a great anime that most older audiences will enjoy. Oh, and how can I forget Planet ES!! It's another Sci-fi one but is a very realistic drama about space life. Very mature watch in my opinion.

And so you can read my suggestions easier:
-Great Teacher Onizuka (execellent blend of comedy and drama)

-Crest/Banner of the Stars(Fantastic sci-fi anime. Romance, amazing action, and awesome characters!)

- Fantastic Children(a very touching and exciting story that mature audiences should enjoy)

-Planet ES (Sci-fi space drama about life in space. Deals with relationships, daily life, and yes, terrorist attacks!!)
Old 2007-09-19, 21:50   Link #16
retardation
phantom loser

you could try general realistic/classy animes like planetes, gto, genshiken etc. i think those have universal appeal. or you could also try shonen type anime that have female main characters like kurau: the phantom memory, noein, and so on.i've noticed that girls love shakugan no shana, zero no tsukaima and those types of shows, which are shonen i guess as well.

women love ouran high school host club. i didn't hate it. you could try that.
Old 2007-09-20, 02:41   Link #17
schiffer
Born Insain
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to schiffer
Try a movie, like Howl no Ugoku Shiro/Howl`s Moving Castle.
and look up, Mushishi
Old 2007-09-20, 18:09   Link #18
MagicMango

Fate/Stay Night - Drama, Action, Romance, Fantasy. I guess it's kind of a middle ground romance anime you were looking for. Great character development, action, and a wonderful storyline.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - Because everyone needs more Haruhi.
Old 2007-09-20, 21:44   Link #19
xlxsinxlx

A lot of childish animes here, and from my point of view, the "mature" animes you guys are talking about usually has to do with blood and gore like higurashi and elfen lied lol... Something up with that or what. But yea, a sense of action for adults Ikkitousen (although i didn't really like it, story line was too boring and it was more to attract attention of adults then actually doing anything)
Old 2007-09-20, 22:23   Link #20
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxsinxlx View Post
A lot of childish animes here, and from my point of view, the "mature" animes you guys are talking about usually has to do with blood and gore like higurashi and elfen lied lol... Something up with that or what. But yea, a sense of action for adults Ikkitousen (although i didn't really like it, story line was too boring and it was more to attract attention of adults then actually doing anything)
SeijiSensei listed some of the best mature series of recent years: Hataraki Man, Bartender, Saiunkoku, Monster. Noein and Dennou Coil are also rather mature, despite being focused on kids.

Higurashi and Elfen Lied are mature-oriented because they're more psychological (and gorey) thriller/horror-ish. There's also a lot of action that can be considered mature, but is watched by younger people. But then ratings in Japan are quite different to most of the English speaking world, especially the prudish Americans, so that's a different kettle of fish...
Closed Thread

Tags
wife