AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-26, 00:55   Link #21
arkxkra
全力全開

wow, this look nice, can't wait, but aug only in cinema, then the dvd at least 6month after cineme only released, long wait.
Old 2008-04-26, 18:38   Link #22
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Whilst I'm no big fan of Oshii (Innocence was just a tad too... you know), the trailer's gotten me really excited. It also doesn't hurt that the character designs are by Nishio. Now if only Oshii can just calm down and not create a show that reeks of pretense, my worries would be nonexistent by now.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 11:23   Link #23
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://sky.crawlers.jp/index.html

The trailer's on the official site now. Here's what I think:

- looks boring as hell
- character designs don't look that great
- CG looks awful
- action sequences look iffy
- another boring pilot love story
- great music
- lol Oshii
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 15:34   Link #24
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

^I agree. I haven't read the manga, so I don't know if the characters look different, but they look really plain in this movie. CG doesn't look good IMO, but I've never really like CG to start with. Give me Macross Plus or Cowboy Bebop the Movie style dog fights and I'll be more than happy.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 18:31   Link #25
ZODDGUTS

Not really feeling the character designs they look too plain.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 11:55   Link #26
vspirit
...huh?

Hmm...Kikuchi, was it? Cinema-released anime tend to get big name japanese actors and actresses to voice their leads, don't they? Is it to up the appeal at the box office? They did the same for Sword of the Stranger though Nagase did a decent job.

The main guy chara's voice seems rather dead to me. And the whole thing has a very Shinkai Makoto feel to it...minus the tragic boy/girl dynamic that always seems to be the focus of his works. Rather, this one just seems tragic.

Character design reminds me of Texhnolyze for some reason...
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 08:19   Link #27
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://sky.crawlers.jp/index.html

The trailer's on the official site now. Here's what I think:

- looks boring as hell
- character designs don't look that great
- CG looks awful
- action sequences look iffy
- another boring pilot love story
- great music
- lol Oshii
I do agree this show looks rather stale/boring/Clichéd/uninspired/whathaveyou, even the dog fights didn't look that good.

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-05-20 at 07:19.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 14:09   Link #28
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Oshii is looking at the box office?

He wants to compete with Miyazaki?

WTF?

Perhaps you should re-read that article, since it appears to me that you misunderstood some parts of it.
I know this is an older post, but I felt like adding a bit to the discussion. Mamoru Oshii, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and Toshio Suzuki were all independent directors/producer/writers back in the early 80s (and before), and they were thinking about working and or collabarate together on a future project. But, due to creative difference between Oshii, Miyazaki, and Takahata, Oshii ended up leaving their little group. Later, Miyazaki, Takahata and Suzuki would turn their group of friends into a company called Studio Ghibli, while Oshii would forever remain independent.

Since there split, Oshii has had a long standing friendly rivalry/competition with Studio Ghibli, and Miyazaki especially. Oshii has lauded Miyazaki, but considers his stories too idealistic and simple. Whereas Miyazaki has commented that Oshii is too self-serving in his movies (i.e. he makes movies too much for himself and not enough for an audience) and too much of a philosopher. But, they both respect each other greatly (hell, Studio Ghibli helped to finance Innocence).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 06:10   Link #29
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
I do agree this show looks rather stale/boring/Clichéd/uninspired/whathaveyou, even the dog fights didn't look that good.
not many anime with dogfight nowadays (my first and last was last exile) , anything is better than nothing
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 10:49   Link #30
martino
makes no files now

During a commercial break for Real Drive 6 there was some footage shown with commentary regarding Sky Crawlers. Not sure if it was footage from one of the trailers, but if anyone is interested I could cut it out and upload somewhere.
Old 2008-05-31, 21:22   Link #31
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
Hmm...Kikuchi, was it? Cinema-released anime tend to get big name japanese actors and actresses to voice their leads, don't they? Is it to up the appeal at the box office? They did the same for Sword of the Stranger though Nagase did a decent job.
Don't forget about Chiaki Kuriyama. Hopefully they don't cast her as another killer school girl.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 23:31   Link #32
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm just hoping that it's not being turned into a sappy love story given that the screenplay is by Chihiro Ito....
...and I hope it is. I like the look. I like the acting, based on the preview. I have come to doubt Production IG, but since their problem for me seems to be the writing, I am glad they brought in someone who can really write drama.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 14:24   Link #33
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
It seems another trailer has been released: http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x5yw12_sc-t3_creation

I hope dogfights will have more screentime than the rest of the movie's themes, they look really awesome.

By the way, Kawai Kenji
Old 2008-06-30, 14:53   Link #34
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Loving it more and more with every new glimpse. Could it be that Oshii will make an actually exciting steampunk anime where Otomo failed so miserably?

People who say his action scene animation is rubbish and gonzo-like... I don't really know what to say... we must have been watching completely different clips.

As for the the story, I'm actually mildly interested in it. To be honest, I've always found Oshii's stories to be very engaging, even if constantly covered by facades of either sentimentality or intellectualism. To me, it's just a matter of paying attention. As long as I don't get carried away by the WOW-factor, I usually happen to actually like his storytelling. I certainly wouldn't want the eyecandy to supplant the story as a lot of people I've discussing this movie with seem to prefer.

I say, go ahead, give me a melodrama. Why the hell not, as long as it compliments the action and vice versa.

PS: Kawai's style is very obvious. He seems to be in the habit of repeating himself in movies like this, a trait shared by Kanno (for which I am beginning to be annoyed with both of them). But it's bunch of nice tunes, so let's just leave it at that.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-04, 16:54   Link #35
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

An acquaintance of mine visited the premiere in Tokyo, says the film is incredibly beautiful.

He did, however, warn me off spoilers and refused to divulge them himself, so now I'm dying to know what's so special about that plot there.

Anyone seen it already? How about some general reactions?
Old 2008-08-04, 18:06   Link #36
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

The 2 reviews I read for this movie say that this is one of Oshii's best movies. I haven't read any bad things about this. I want to see how well this does in the box office.
Any idea when the DVD is coming out?

Last edited by Haohmaru; 2008-08-04 at 18:42.
Old 2008-08-04, 18:36   Link #37
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Around Christmas time, give or take a month, most likely.
Old 2008-08-05, 16:06   Link #38
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Anyone seen that documentary thing that's out? I'm about to watch it, but since I won't understand it, maybe someone can tell us what it's about.
Old 2008-08-06, 04:18   Link #39
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
this is the video PV of the theme song, which has a good 4:30s of footage from the movie which is not in the trailer.

can't wait for the DVD release, cuz so far this anime looks awesome.
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 04:28   Link #40
v1nx

Send a message via ICQ to v1nx
Mamoru Oshii's Message -Sky Crawlers TV Documentary- is out if anyone interested.

It sort of a movie about how SC were born.

Much of it - preview of the SC itself
v1nx is offline   Reply With Quote