AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 20 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 45.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-25, 15:12   Link #41
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Hehehe and he says that he just does it for no reason xD. I think L is 22 or somewhere around his 20s.
Haha, the way he talks calmly about it and his eyerings tells us he is a veteran in doing weird stuff

I hope the Yagami reality show will stop soon, otherwise Raito would definetely become crazy, being careful every second around him...

Besides, the animation is just incredible.
Old 2006-11-25, 19:10   Link #42
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokirigirl View Post
My thought, as someone said before, is that Raito is 10 step ahead. Thanks God he took days in advance writing criminals names...
I doubt that the writing in advance helps much, L could already have deduced that he can control the time of death from a previous situation. I thought that him casually looking through those magazines was a bit suspicious, he was *too* casual about it, without any real response to it. He might aswell have been looking through a dictionary. Also his reaction to the announcement on tv was kinda suspicious. Why bother making such a statement, unless he wanted to rub it in? As for the miniature tv, it seems he prepared that beforehand at some point. But unless he knew that nobody in the house likes potato chips, I would think that was a big risk. What if someone else in the family would get the munchies for potato chips? Using that tv to make an alibi for himself only makes him more suspicious because the targets were unlikely Kira targets. Or did he already go for light criminals like that?
Old 2006-11-25, 20:11   Link #43
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
5 is really not enough.
camera doesn't have a huge angle sight (don't expect such 180°, this is impossible).
you have then already some blind spot near of the camera sides.

example : http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9...camera4vh2.jpg
Note this example is absolutely not accurate and is done only to understand the camera problem.

as you can see, the sight range is really narrow at the beginning. with 4 camera in an EMPTY room, you have already 4 blind spots (assuming the camera have an excellent range too).

so, you will have to deal with :
-height (a camera, especially miniaturized, won't be able to record a large place entirely)
-objects
-blind spot made by the object themself : if a curve is on the middle top, the bottom camera would see only the back of the curve, while the top camera won't be able to catch the curve on their side.
-distance (miniaturized camera don't really have a powerful sight, so it won't really cover a long distance, so some details on the opposite wall would be blurry etc.

so you have to put lot of other camera to compensate this.

and since Light's room isn't really plain (you have a bed etc), there are several levels and angles to set.

well to keep it simple... for 5 camera.....

one can be in front of light
second can be behind him
third one can be on the left
forth can be on his right
fifth can be on the top.

i just think that 64 cameras is a little too outrageous and not realistic. HAHA

if i was to observe light i can't even see 64 screens at the same time
Old 2006-11-25, 20:38   Link #44
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
well to keep it simple... for 5 camera.....

one can be in front of light
second can be behind him
third one can be on the left
forth can be on his right
fifth can be on the top.

i just think that 64 cameras is a little too outrageous and not realistic. HAHA

if i was to observe light i can't even see 64 screens at the same time
the problem with such easy analogy is light position.
so, you are expecting observing light when he is ONLY sitting next to his desk?
as you can see, the desk isn't in the center of the room, but rather in a corner. let's say you have a camera in each direction, and one above...
how about the 3 others room corners? the blind spot are terrible huge if you are using linaer sight. (if we consider his desk at the bottom left corner, not only the top right corner is whide open, but you also have the center without anything around)

like i tried to show with my drawing, with such evident places (bias or not), you will note that with a plain area, you already have blind spots... so, with a dark, cluttered teenager room, this is pobably not good at all.

re-watch the episode, and pay attention on the camera scene (or else, look at lilith's picture of the camera): you will see their height, but also their sight direction. (you can see that there are 3 height level, also more than 2 camera per side : like 3-4 in the same height, at the same left/right side)
you will understand that light room is pretty long, and is around 3-4 metres tall, while the area is most likely bigger than 15m²
the wall aren't really free either : you see lots of shelf and all. (though it is nice to hide camera in there, it has a reversed edge : it creates more blind spot.)

if you put someone under observation, you would want to have EVERY move, every possibility recorded, EVEN if some area of the room will be most likely not suspicious.

if you leave some blind spot, what would guarantee that light wouldn't profit of this flaw?

in fact, light found the flaw : he used himself as a blindspot, and put the potato chips bag slighti in bias, so no camera would be able to see what it is inside, EXCEPT if a camera was on the desk itself.

i'm aware that "64" seem really an exaggerated number, but in reality, this is not that crazy. (though it's fictional, it is not that hard to believe that miniaturized camera has : horrible resolution, horrible angle sight, and horrible farsight)

if you increase the number of them, you just increase the possibility to find some clues (you don't really need to observe what does light... instead, you can also observe the room, and it surrounding. light was lucky enough to have some death note scrap in emergency, because if he would pick up te death note in his desk, he would be spotted : L would be wondering why Light would place a notebook in such sophisticated trap)

but as some said earlier, the anime fails with L : the camera choice was really dumb, simply moronic.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2006-11-25 at 21:06.
Old 2006-11-25, 22:04   Link #45
EfrainMan
Scourge of the Seven Seas

I don't think 64 cameras is really excessive, only slightly. The room could probably be covered in about 30-40 cameras (I counted 24 in Liliths's screengrab). Since they're supposed to be super small to be well hidden, yeah they probably wouldn't be that good.

Also, there's the possibility a camera could be discovered by accident. A normal person would start searching and maybe find several cameras (maybe a dozen) and think "damn, 12 cameras? That's a lot" or until they felt satisfied and stop right there, leaving still a bunch more. You guys said it yourself, 64 cameras seems excessive. You'd probably stop after just several.

And I have to say, this was the funniest ep in the series so far...not a difficult task
Old 2006-11-25, 22:53   Link #46
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Line of Sight

This episode marks another well deserved ten from my ranking.

It's hard to take seriously the dense and foggy tension that both L and the investigation time are putting through when they're snacking on ice-cream scoops, all served courtesy from Watari; if you noted, Chief Yagami was served a bigger serving of ice-cream.

Second. It just amazes how Ryuk's intimidating looks and appearances washes all away when he's trying to play dumb in order to catch on Light's attention span. Not to judge the book by the cover, because I do not even think that Ryuk takes himself quite seriously and neither to literally mean his threats.

Third. The highlight was all the stylized freeze shots and frame cuts focused on Light opening the bag of chips with such a dramatized effects, as to mean the climax has peaked.
Writing names on his left hand, writing equations on his right hand, Ryuk going withdrawal in what would be the most vilest trap ever- putting on seemingly erotic poses.

Light's now metaphorically speaking on a boat crossing through a narrow trench full of tight, jagged turns. If he doesn't veer the boat on right angles, taking into the account both the speed, the overall mass of the boat, and the outlined shapes of each turn, then the boat will be scratched and slashed by the spiky ends once attempts to veer to clear that turn.

Let's not forget that L overanalyzed that the people killed once announced to the media where low-profile criminals, that is people arrested for minor crimes or small offenses.
When L knows better that until now Kira's been targetting the big fishes who had committed capital crimes.

Secondly, how can Light be so sure that nobody at the recycle center won't notice the crashed parts of the portable TV sticking out from the potato-chips bag?
Old 2006-11-25, 23:21   Link #47
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I''ve been biding my time patiently while watching this series...I finally caught up with everyone else so I can now post in this forum without the prospect of being spoiled...Like many I thought last episode was intelectually shattering, but I found this ep to also be quite remarkable in a different way...While Light is little too arrogant for his own good his deductions are quite nice at times...Him noticing that someone would go to the lengths of re-positioning his paper-trap exactly as it was before being the harbinger that he was under seige was well concieved...

As for L's constant countering to what he was seeing from Light I take that with a grain of salt...Obviously to the audience it seems as if Light is losing in some respects despite his seemingly perfect adaptations, but I see that as L's extreme...L personifies overkill in-terms of analysis and him being overly-speculative of Light's movments is more telling of L's obsessive inquisitive nature rather than Light's mishaps...While Light may be acting suspiciously "normal" I take it L would would equally bothered if he wasn't acting as "perfect"...To be sure it helps having an invisible reaper to aid you if you're Light which L could never comprehend or equate in his observations (The intel on the cameras from Ryruk is invaluable)...So basically I'd say Light is still ahead despite people thinking L is closer that he really is...Arrogant snot doesn't equal main-suspect...

As for the rest of this episode Ryruk's drug-addicted withdrawl from apples was too funny...I could see that even being a bargaining chip with Light at some point^^....Also L slurping ice-cream as he psyco-babbles Light's actions was, well, weird...Light has some house-cleaning to do but he's far from being a main suspect IMO...Anyways can't wait for the next episode of this great series...
Old 2006-11-26, 06:29   Link #48
Darashinai
R.Y.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Writing names on his left hand, writing equations on his right hand
...and that's what didn't set well with me THIS episode. Talk about f'in unlikely....how about f'in impossible. It's brainsurgery enough to write kanji with one's naturally used hand, but with the other?! Legibly?! Not to mention, how does he know that he's writing the correct kanji for the name? (Oh, right, he can see the TV through the bag!! What was *I* thinking?!?!?!) How many forms of Youko and Watanabe are there?!?! Impossible not that he's somehow that ambidexterous, but that circumstances would exist for the owner of the Death Note to be ambidexterous. It's just....*throws up hands* When will the madness end?!

And no one's explained how Light could hear the TV and the cameras in front of his desk didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Secondly, how can Light be so sure that nobody at the recycle center won't notice the crashed parts of the portable TV sticking out from the potato-chips bag?
He can't be!!! The only people more anal in the world than L are recycle center workers in Japan.

If one were to shout plot-hole (or really annoyingly convenient circumstance), I'd go with my first comment.

That said, props to Ryuk!
Old 2006-11-26, 07:06   Link #49
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Darashinai...

I do not have knowledge of kanji or writing it, however, I can assume that it's a possible task if the name is on TV and all you have to do is copy it, is it not?

He can see the TV from the opening of the bag, I don't find it strange at all (just praise his really good eye sight, hehe). It didn't mention him listening to the TV, just watching it. So, the mics can't catch anything. And what Klashikari said!

Last edited by Lilith; 2006-11-26 at 07:12. Reason: hee hee
Old 2006-11-26, 07:08   Link #50
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darashinai View Post

And no one's explained how Light could hear the TV and the cameras in front of his desk didn't.
it was explained in the manga that Light only pay attention to the name of the criminals written on the screen. he didn't hear anything.

EDIT : lilith was too fast ~~
Old 2006-11-26, 09:27   Link #51
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
I'm not sure how Light is gonna get away for -300USD in his bank account now...L will check on Light account balance and might find that it is suspicious :/
Old 2006-11-26, 09:43   Link #52
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well maybe he has some cold hard cash stuffed under his bed?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-26, 13:12   Link #53
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Hehe. Or maybe he bought it a long time ago and only now used it in the bag of chips trick?
Old 2006-11-26, 15:44   Link #54
zka

Loved the episode. The things Light prepared are nasty ;D although I think he exaggerated a bit with those comments in the living room and with killing "small" crooks... One would think that he should know already about that L will notice it and... yeah... catch up

Last but not least... Ryuk can dance ;D
Old 2006-11-26, 18:03   Link #55
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving unless your a criminal and Light probaly didnt allow you to make it that far. It amazed me how smart and how far ahead light thinks about things. I mean the things he does to see if someone has gone in his room and the writing of criminals names in the deathnote just encase something happens to him is stunning. But L is also amazing not leaving one clue unturned the sheer amount of cameras he placed around the house was insaine and whats more insaine is that Light not only discovered them but manipluated Ryuk into finding the locations of all of them on top of that he realised that the tv broadcast was just a trick to test Kiras reaction to the announcment of 1500 agents coming to japan. However when L learns that Penbars finace killed her self and the fact that one of the agents working on the kira case saw her things will get intresting indeed. Light is such a dick i would tell him to go to hell but im affraid he might outwit satan and take over
Old 2006-11-27, 03:49   Link #56
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Light is such a dick i would tell him to go to hell but im affraid he might outwit satan and take over

</pointless post>
Old 2006-11-27, 07:36   Link #57
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike Rouge View Post
Then there's Naomi-san. Her body hasnt been found yet. Do you think she maybe left some sort of note behind? People leave suicide notes behind all the time.
Not always. That's just a Hollywood myth. A significant amount of people get depressed and just kill themselves with no warning and leaving no note behind. Anyway, since Light didn't command Naomi to leave a note, there's no reason she would have.

Good episode. I'm actually surprised L managed to narrow the group of possibles down as quickly as he did. Obviously the game between L and Light still has a long way to go, but it seems they're about to have a number of head-on battles very soon. But it looks like Light isn't quite as many steps ahead as he was just a few episodes ago. What really impressed me in this ep was that neither party made a stupid move.... on this occassion it was purely a case of Light outwitting L (or Detective Yagami at least), although the war is far from won. Light in particular has had a rush of blood on a few occassions (ep 2 when he killed the fake L) or a few times where he hasn't been in complete control (last ep when he was trying to get Naomi's name), but he seemed a lot more aware and in control in this ep.
Old 2006-11-27, 11:39   Link #58
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

No matter how many times I watch this scene, whether in the manga, movie or anime, I can't help laughing at Ryuk's hopelessness at not having any apples to eat.

Gotta love the way Madhouse makes eating a bag of chips look so dramatic. lol
Old 2006-11-27, 14:01   Link #59
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Nice epi, I only wish the animators hadnt used footage from epi 1, I was like disappointed when I saw that. But Light opening the bag in dramatic fashion was funny. Ryuk is definitely more funny in this epi, I loved when he was trying to get Light's attention.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2006-11-27, 14:24   Link #60
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Not sure why everyone thinks so deep into the potato-bag sealing issue and doubts on the feasibility of getting one sealed without a production line. I once had a sealer myself, and it is nothing magical or of high technology. They were everywhere and I could simply pick one in the supermarkets and grocery stores with a cost of like US$2. It looks just like a stapler with heating conductors. To seal a potato-bag/plastic-bag, All you need to do is to press the sealer along the opening of the bag. The heat from the conductors will melt the edges and get it sealed.

Sorry but seems like this is off-topic :P
Closed Thread