frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Spoiler for ep 1:
Old 2009-04-05, 15:28   Link #103
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-04-05, 15:31   Link #104
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm not sure if I can stand the chara-des for Hajime, but the voice-acting is excellent all round. Sanpei Yuuko does Hajime with spirit, Nazuka Kaori is a great Kaya (lovely to hear her doing anger for once), and it's also great to hear Shiraishi Ryouko do a beautiful girl here, rather than a guy. She and Sanpei Yuuko are about the top names for teenage boys, and here they are playing opposite one another. I always like to see Renton (Sanpei) and Eureka (Nazuka) get together again, too.

The story didn't interest me much, however. I did look at the comic and felt that there wasn't a lot there for me. I love the Shinbou-Oonuma visual style, but did anyone else feel it was a bit perfunctory here? (maybe serenade_beta, for one, I see).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-04-05, 16:13   Link #105
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

That was a brilliant use of causality! I see another winner for SHAFT. The character designs are quite fitting for the roles played.

Does the boss remind anyone of Haruko from FLCL?
Old 2009-04-05, 16:44   Link #106
Fuze

The first episode didn't feel like it was a proper introduction at all. The name of the episode "Playback Part 2" is telling me that they will air the story out of order, so I guess I should continue to watch to see how it goes.

I kinda like the wackiness and the characters themselves don't seem all that bad, but I just feel like there is something missing for me. And the animation seemed inconsistent. At this point, my interest for this show is somewhere in the middle.
Old 2009-04-05, 17:19   Link #107
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Let me start with the ED, because for me it was excellent (the song, not the animation). OP was below SHAFT's average, but at least not annoying. Now moving to the character designs ... too retro and from what I little I observed quite different from the manga ... it will take some time to get used to. The storytelling was nice paced, it got around pointless expositions (with one minor exception) and I certainly hope they want look back in the future. The background art, especially in the beginning was just plain weird, at some point the were just panning two three background frames, which is even beyond retro (Disney in the 40's and 50's)! Finally, the humor ... well this was unexpected, I have found most comedies from SHAFT hilarious, this one was kind of flat, it took me 20 minutes to crack a smile ... not a good start. But things can certainly get better.
Old 2009-04-05, 17:25   Link #108
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
That was a brilliant use of causality! I see another winner for SHAFT. The character designs are quite fitting for the roles played.

Does the boss remind anyone of Haruko from FLCL?
In the manga they try to make it fairly obvious she is a reference to Haruko.(or if she isn't it is an incredible coincidence)

I thought this episode was rather iffy. I'm gonna keep watching because I think it could go either way from here.
Old 2009-04-05, 17:34   Link #109
SinsI

The first episode was great, and I also really liked OP and ED.
(I've never read the manga though).

Reminds me of Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:07   Link #110
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
I predict that this show will be even more unsung and unfairly hated than Negima!? -_-

Love the ED. It's quite rare for the EDs to be as awesome as OPs, but apparently this show has switched it up.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Old 2009-04-05, 20:13   Link #111
Midonin
Last Engage

I will second the "ED is excellent" comments. Ryoko Shiraishi did a great job.

That said, looking forward to more of this. I like the concept of the stable time loops set up, and am interested in getting to know more of the characters. That, and Shaft series are usually fun.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:25   Link #112
sirn
田舎者言うな

The animation part, I found it strange for Shaft show to have four assistant animation director but none are in-house for the first episode; they even credited Studio Pastoral as Production Assistant even though it's not Pastoral's episode. Because of this, I can put my expectations on Bakemonogatari, right, Shaft? (Badly disappointed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuze View Post
The first episode didn't feel like it was a proper introduction at all. The name of the episode "Playback Part 2" is telling me that they will air the story out of order, so I guess I should continue to watch to see how it goes.
No, the title is a parody to Yamaguchi Momoe's song in 1978: Playback Part 2. So I don't think there'll be Playback Part 1, or something. But the next episode will probably be an explanation episode, judging from the title. Edited: Nevermind that, apparently the next episode is manga's first chapter, it's either they only swapped the first episode, or they're going to air the story out of order. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin Ansem View Post
I predict that this show will be even more unsung and unfairly hated than Negima!? -_-
Already happening.

Last edited by sirn; 2009-04-05 at 23:26.
Old 2009-04-05, 21:41   Link #113
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
あたしにかけてぇ~
いっぱいかけてぇ~
。。。
せいしをかけてぇ~

Hearing that sung by a man is either priceless, disturbing, or both.
Old 2009-04-05, 21:50   Link #114
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 1 Screenshots.
Old 2009-04-05, 23:07   Link #115
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Epirsode 1:
Old 2009-04-06, 00:16   Link #116
animeffs13240
V for Victory

Spoiler for episode 1 thoughts:
i will continue watching it though cause i have nothing really else to watch and no i don't want any suggestions
Old 2009-04-06, 01:23   Link #117
stewie0814

Ha, well, i was initially put off by the art (retroness, weird character design, etc). But the second half o f the show made me forget them, I loved how everything got explained and how everything got connected together, I was impressed . Looking forward to the next one.
Old 2009-04-06, 02:44   Link #118
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

This show gives me the vibe of what happens when you give an amateur RETAS Studio and expect something to plop out.

Another show to scratch off my list.. but might as well finish the first episode.
Old 2009-04-06, 03:48   Link #119
TCman

It's a little dissapointment for me, it feels like a filler episode; the characters are weirdly drawn, their eyes are too big (in length) and they are drawn too close to each other and the girls' faces are too "small" for most of the time; sometimes it feels like it's "fan-made"; the character design should be more closer to that of School Rumble, since this anime is based on a manga created by the same mangaka as School Rumble, Jin Kobayashi. And maybe we can see some differences in animation quality, since the episodes 1, 2 and 3 each got a different animation director.

Also the pacing of this episode is too choatic for my taste. Maybe the creators want to make Natsu no Arashi more hilarious, but the original manga wasn't meant to be a School Rumble sequel. I don't find this episode funny at all, this episode is even in my opinion a little dull. Comparing to the manga, the manga feels more mysterious (especially the character Arashi) and the pacing is slower (which is also more comfortable in my opinion) and maybe a little "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" feel because Arashi's ability.

Things I like in this anime are some of the backgrounds and location: the rural area/small town.

As for the choice of VA, I might choose Mamiko Noto to be Arashi, since her voice fits in my opinion the character Arashi so much better.

I hope the next episode will be much better, because I like the manga so much. I will watch the 2nd episode since it's based on the manga as said earlier.

Edit: have listen to the OP and ED songs for a while; the OP song is quite good; I like the melody/tune. The ED is nice and flows quite well, by the way Ryoko Shiraish (who also voices Arashi in the anime) who sings the ED has a really nice voice.

Last edited by TCman; 2009-04-06 at 07:12.
Old 2009-04-06, 06:59   Link #120
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

*blink* *blink*

Why do I feel like I'm watching something from the 1980s....?

Oh, and the cake is a lie.

Seems like a fun light offering, won't mind following this for now.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, romance, shaft, shounen