AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-11, 17:24   Link #1
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Helen ESP

Summary from Baka-Updates . Five years ago, Helen lost her sight, hearing, and ability to speak in a traffic accident. She was living peacefully with her uncle and her guide dog Victor until, one day, she awoke to her mysterious powers.

Apparently Helen ESP is gaining a popularity among the Franken Fran readers after getting some translation, therefore this thread came along the way as well. I do not think there is a thread on this. Unlike Franken Fran, it does not contain gore and psychological treatments. Helen is not mentally depressed, yandere, or in need psychological therapy like we all want her to be. She deals with her problems through mysterious power and mostly a positive attitude. Those that is looking for mentally depressed and handicapped patients that finding a hard time adapting to life/extremely sadism, this is not the place to be. On the other hand, if you are looking for a bit of slice of life with bits of supernatural events, continue on.
Old 2010-05-11, 18:32   Link #2
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
The art seems to be a lot crisper in Helen, at least for Helen herself. I love seeing Manga artist get better with their work. Helen is a nice contrast to Franken Fran, they should release them on the same day always to balance each other out...
Old 2010-05-11, 20:23   Link #3
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Chapter 9 contains a little bit of the Franken Fran morbid element though.

Spoiler for ch 9:

So is chapter 8 once you reach the ending.

Still, it is a much, much happier manga, and for a girl who lost her sight Helen's eyes sure seems to be full of emotion and life.
Old 2010-05-11, 20:37   Link #4
FateAnomaly

For some reasons, I feel that this series isn't drawn as well as Franken Fran though. The stories are also somewhat light on substance.
Old 2010-05-12, 06:35   Link #5
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
For some reasons, I feel that this series isn't drawn as well as Franken Fran though. The stories are also somewhat light on substance.
Except the attempted rape. Yeah a girl who can't see, hear or scream is vulnerable as a victim. Good thing that ghost or whatever saved her. Touch is the only other sense left to her but a trauma like that if it happened she wouldn't be so trusting of people anymore.
Old 2010-11-14, 07:56   Link #6
ReddyRedWolf

Is it just me or Helen is being portrayed as a catch of a woman? One is that boy who is her classmate head over heels off her, little brother of her old nurse. Another is the big guy little brother of her classmate who nearly went blind. In another chapter she ended up at the place of a guy in Aomori who immediately thought of her as those magical girlfriend type and help her go home. Latest chapter has a boy in the hospital with esp who is a bit crazy taking her with him and is flatly rejected.
Old 2010-11-14, 09:08   Link #7
paladinenvec

D: its looks that being blind,mute and deaf attracts rapers and her ESP powers attract ghosts(or a combination of both) , poor Helen indeed...
Old 2010-11-14, 11:25   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Gave this a shot. Two chapters in and it's giving me a very familiar vibe... something like... Aria meets Someday's Dreamers I think?

I'm not too sure but it feels very familiar and I like it.
Old 2010-11-14, 15:38   Link #9
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I was reading this for a while, well only got back into it again since there have been alot more releases lately and I gotta say it's a oddly nice little read.
Oddly weird in some ways but just very nice.

I still kinda have trouble believing that the author is the same person that does Franken Fran but then when ya read the corss over omake it comes to together

I like the interactions of Helen and Victor, thats a interesting part of the story.
Old 2010-11-14, 16:22   Link #10
OpenDoors

Its really too bad that theres only 2 volume. Its really unique and I am sad to see it go.
Old 2010-11-15, 00:30   Link #11
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

wow so the same author who wrote Fran wrote this as well? At this point I believe he has a split personality.

Tags
shounen