AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

View Poll Results: Log Horizon - Episode 25 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 17 26.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 41.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 19.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-26, 12:03   Link #121
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naole View Post
LH novels aren't really kid's stuff; they're british & Violent
They're "british"?? Did you mean to say "brutish"?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2014-03-26, 14:24   Link #122
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naole View Post
I agree with your sentiments.
LH novels aren't really kid's stuff; they're british & Violent and that context sets the stage for a brilliant post apocalyptic scenario.

The Anime is a bit of a let down; whether I watch S2 will depend on the web reviews
What?
Old 2014-03-26, 15:41   Link #123
Ickarium

I think the poster means brutish. Which is funny, as most light novels are written targeting middle and high school students. I think they have a really strange impression of what light novels are. A great deal of light novels aren't 'brutish and violent', including some of the most popular such as Haruhi (one of the few that got a NA translation) and so forth.

Reminds me of the people who want anime to be 'what it was before' - because they have the mistaken impression that in the 80s/90s, anime was all dark stories (because that was what was often translated at that point).
Old 2014-03-26, 20:16   Link #124
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
I think the poster means brutish. Which is funny, as most light novels are written targeting middle and high school students. I think they have a really strange impression of what light novels are. A great deal of light novels aren't 'brutish and violent', including some of the most popular such as Haruhi (one of the few that got a NA translation) and so forth.

Reminds me of the people who want anime to be 'what it was before' - because they have the mistaken impression that in the 80s/90s, anime was all dark stories (because that was what was often translated at that point).
As far as Europe is concerned, I blame the importer Manga Entertainment for giving the wrong impression that every anime are and should be "metal", dark and edgy.

Last edited by Sheba; 2014-03-26 at 20:30.
Old 2014-03-27, 01:22   Link #125
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
As far as Europe is concerned, I blame the importer Manga Entertainment for giving the wrong impression that every anime are and should be "metal", dark and edgy.
The problem stems from people not realizing that anime and manga are not genre's, or art styles, but simply japanese words for cartoons and comics.
And that they got stuff for all ages, and of all genres, and the stuff imported is just stuff execs think would sell.
Old 2014-03-27, 10:42   Link #126
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
To be fair, Naole said "LH novels," not "light novels," and the Log Horizon novels really are a good deal more brutal than the anime.
Old 2014-03-27, 11:13   Link #127
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
To be fair, Naole said "LH novels," not "light novels," and the Log Horizon novels really are a good deal more brutal than the anime.
Yup, Though I never tend to read up a series source material unless the anime has caught up with to a point. I can say for sure from what I've read so fare there ain't noting light about this novel.
Old 2014-03-27, 11:25   Link #128
J4n1

But not noticeably more British.
Old 2014-03-27, 14:45   Link #129
Ickarium

The LH novels aren't particularly brutish nor violent.

They're a bit more mature than the anime, but really people overtell it. It does mention certain issues but then it moves past it without focusing on it. Hell, that's the very reason I'd call them mature - they don't focus on rape, murder and torture in a juvenile 1990s grim anti-hero way, but acknowledge it happens and /moves on/.

It's why I love the anime. You can neatly excise the brief mentions without hurting the story at all.
Old 2014-03-28, 09:54   Link #130
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
The LH novels aren't particularly brutish nor violent.

They're a bit more mature than the anime, but really people overtell it. It does mention certain issues but then it moves past it without focusing on it. Hell, that's the very reason I'd call them mature - they don't focus on rape, murder and torture in a juvenile 1990s grim anti-hero way, but acknowledge it happens and /moves on/.

It's why I love the anime. You can neatly excise the brief mentions without hurting the story at all.
I agree.

Mamare isn't one to wallow in grim-dark and one would notice that he tend to avoid the worst possible scenarios in his writing. He certainly doesn't toy with his characters the way Narita Ryogo does (I swear, I won't be surprised with DRRR! ends with an Izaya victory =w=).

Whether this is the outcome of a positive mentality, a lack of pages to allow further exploration, or just simply laziness... I don't know. But the bottom line is that his plot is generally balanced between pragmatism and optimism, and leans more towards believing in human goodness than otherwise =3

Signature by liro
Old 2014-03-28, 10:05   Link #131
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Mamare always strikes me as someone who managed to balance light-hearted fun with gravitas as demonstrated in his earlier work, Maoyuu. And he does brilliantly so. He acknowledges that many people are bastards, but that we can always do better and improves as long as we work hard for this.
Old 2014-03-28, 15:03   Link #132
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

That said, I'd enjoy watching someone doing a rampage of revenge, or an analysis of the grave situations that occur...

Then again, I'm AX and that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Old 2014-03-28, 16:20   Link #133
Ickarium

AX? Not familiar with the acronym.
Old 2014-03-29, 03:01   Link #134
Jaden

Well, at first I thought this story is just a dumb romanticization of the MMORPG genre, but it's slowly gotten better. I like that they are finally addressing the real world, just incredible how that was ignored until now.

The addition of Kureha is a good prelude to that, because here's a character that will never want to go back, and will do anything to keep everyone else trapped in the game. Perfect villain. She even has the right idea when callling Shiroe the same as her. Is Shiroe going to just abandon the game once he finds a way out? He does seem to be enjoying himself a bit too much in there.
Old 2014-03-29, 12:52   Link #135
LKK

Log Horizon has been among my top most eagerly anticipated weekly simulcasts since its debut 25 episodes ago. Only once did my score drop below an 8. (It was a 7 one week.) I rated several episodes 9 and IIRC the Rudy episode got a 10. The Rudy episode was unquestionably my favorite episode of this series and one of my favorites of the season across all the series. The show started strong, stayed strong throughout its middle, and ended even stronger. Overall score from me: 9.

I'm very much looking forward to the second season. My only dilemma: I had planned to continue with the novels once the anime was done. But now that I know for sure there's going to be a season 2, do I continue with my continue on plan? Such happy a dilemma.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2014-03-29, 13:25   Link #136
Tales
Don't lose you WAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The Rudy episode was unquestionably my favorite episode of this series and one of my favorites of the season across all the series. The show started strong, stayed strong throughout its middle, and ended even stronger. Overall score from me: 9.

I'm very much looking forward to the second season. My only dilemma: I had planned to continue with the novels once the anime was done. But now that I know for sure there's going to be a season 2, do I continue with my continue on plan? Such happy a dilemma.
Rudy was willing to die to become an adventurer, I like his determination. And that fact the he is seen as a dog to Isuzu

But maybe you should wait for the next season for the hype.
Old 2014-03-29, 14:00   Link #137
Ayulsa

Quote:
Just read up to book 5, where the anime ended. Easiest solution... Except then you'd have to deal with that giant cliffhanger again.
Old 2014-03-29, 14:20   Link #138
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Another suggestion would be to read the side stories, such as West Wind Brigade, to have other POVs.
Old 2014-03-29, 14:24   Link #139
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayulsa View Post
Just read up to book 5, where the anime ended. Easiest solution... Except then you'd have to deal with that giant cliffhanger again.
I'm maybe 1 chapter away from s1's end already. The question is whether I can resist reading on during the months before the start of s2. I have a poor track record when it comes to my ability to not give in to long-term temptation. So I'm not optimistic about the odds of not spoiling myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Another suggestion would be to read the side stories, such as West Wind Brigade, to have other POVs.
Eh? Now there's an option I hadn't considered. Didn't even know about, actually. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Last edited by LKK; 2014-03-29 at 14:25. Reason: added second quote
Old 2014-03-29, 17:11   Link #140
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I'm maybe 1 chapter away from s1's end already. The question is whether I can resist reading on during the months before the start of s2. I have a poor track record when it comes to my ability to not give in to long-term temptation. So I'm not optimistic about the odds of not spoiling myself.

Eh? Now there's an option I hadn't considered. Didn't even know about, actually. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
I recommend it, the side stories are very interesting.
WWB gives you a very good view on what was happening in the earlier episodes behind the scenes.
You'll also be treated to slew of characters who only had cameos in the anime.