AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-07-27, 20:46   Link #101
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Her only salvation would be for no one to be in tenpai at the end of the round so that they play an extra hand (and then she'd be east), so she's betting everything on that.

Quote:

50-50 is good gamble. I will put 10 USD on the possibility she is not going to throw that 1 away:P.
More on it dragging out a little more (not that that is a bad thing). It would be kind of anti climatic to have the taishou match ending at the very beginning of a volume, and then leaving the rest of the volume for a very long epilogue and the start of the next arc or something. It'd be better to have it finishing in 2 or 3 chapters, and 2 chapters or something for the epilogue (losing/winning reactions among the different teams).

Any bets on who will win?

- Saki: Points in favor: the series is named after her, main character, the power of last year senpai's, the power of promises. Points againt: wa~y too predictable outcome.
- Koromo: Points in favor: currently 1st place with a large lead. Points againt: currently in 1st place with a large lead, designated antagonist.
- Yumi: Points in favor: East seat, the power of being in the high school last year, the power of dark horses. Points against: Not designated protagonist or antagonist.
-Kana: Points in favor: For the lulz. Points against: About everything else.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-07-27 at 22:53.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 01:07   Link #102
Trans-Fat

A 13-Orphans. Someone will finally win with a 13-Orphans. After we have seen at least 3 almost succeeding on a 13-Orphans, it will bound to happen that someone will finally win with one. Saki almost had one, Tsuruga almost had one, and also Kana almost had one (ch. 48). Koromo next?
Trans-Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 04:13   Link #103
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
More on it dragging out a little more (not that that is a bad thing). It would be kind of anti climatic to have the taishou match ending at the very beginning of a volume, and then leaving the rest of the volume for a very long epilogue and the start of the next arc or something. It'd be better to have it finishing in 2 or 3 chapters, and 2 chapters or something for the epilogue (losing/winning reactions among the different teams).
I still think they are trying to finish match in anime and manga at same time and all that mangaka's pauses was there for this reason. Anime with current pace will be finished in 2 episodes (it'll be bit tight but ...) and it's exactly weekend after next issue of YG will be out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Any bets on who will win?
Hehe, does this really need comment?
Old 2009-07-29, 05:33   Link #104
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
Well. . since Teru is in her 3rd year, the winner should be obvious ~
I hope

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 09:56   Link #105
Proto

In that case I would appreciate at least some twists there like more than one school going to the next stage.
Old 2009-07-30, 13:23   Link #106
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Not gonna happen. It's already been said that only one team from the prefecture goes on to nationals. Who wants to watch Ryuumonbuchi go again? Uh... then wouldn't we just call the manga Koromo?

Besides, a Kiyosumi loss means less Hisa. I like the other schools just fine. If they want to stop by and help Kiyosumi prepare for nationals, then by all means, come by and have a friendly-- but they're not the leads.

Saki's going to win with a yakuman ron on Koromo, because then she'll win by ~1,500 points, which will be the dramatic close finish that most people want. (And some people hate. Oh well. That's what you get for rooting for the dark horse.)

The yakuman will most likely be 13 orphans, because several not-too-subtle hints have been dropped about 13 orphans already in this arc. Fujita has said that Koromo leaves herself open to it, and Yumi has already been in tenpai for it, not to mention it's one of Teru's signature moves.

Add in the speculation by the reporters on whether Saki is related to Teru, if Saki pulls out a 13 orphans at the end to beat Koromo, it would just drive them nuts. (Especially after some of the nutty hands Saki has pulled off already.)

Granted, she could have another entirely different hand. We can't see her discards, and all we can see is her initial hand, but she had 6 orphans to start with. By the 7th go-round, she very well might have picked up 7, if she had some sort of freakish luck. Oh wait, her game is built around that. She wins on rin-shan-kai-hou like it's a tanyao. :P

Koromo may very well not play the 1-pin... but why would she not play it? Her game isn't built around defense, it's built around crushing everyone around her. I wonder if she's ever had to play against people she's had to "defend" against, rather than just smush like bugs. So I'd wager on her tossing the 1-pin. (Or just dropping it on the table in surprise after Saki says something else.)

And I agree-- the taishou round should end with next week's chapter. It should tie in right with the anime.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 03:00   Link #107
metronome
Mad Loli

wait a minute, so 13 wonders/orphans can turn the saki's situation and beat koromo in one go? how come I dont think it is possible unless by the time koromo throw that 1 ball/pin at least 2 people won from her(eg, yumi and saki win from the discard koromo thrown away).
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 03:08   Link #108
emauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronome View Post
wait a minute, so 13 wonders/orphans can turn the saki's situation and beat koromo in one go? how come I dont think it is possible unless by the time koromo throw that 1 ball/pin at least 2 people won from her(eg, yumi and saki win from the discard koromo thrown away).
The point difference between Saki and Koromo is slightly below 64k. So if Saki wins with a 13 orphans ron from Koromo she can easily cover the distance (Saki gets +32k and Koromo -32k) and turn the tables in one go. I think the difference then will be 1500 points.
emauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 17:29   Link #109
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Yeah, Koromo is only 62,500 points ahead of Saki, so if Saki gets a Yakuman ron off of Koromo, Koromo is toast. It doesn't matter which one. It's just that some of us think it's going to be 13 orphans.

I forgot that Kana was in tenpai for 13 orphans in an earlier hand, too, but Saki won with some cheap hand. But two people have been in tenpai for it in the taisho round so far, and it's supposedly one of Teru's specialties, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Saki pulls it off.

Of course, going for 13 orphans when you only have 6 of them in your initial hand is just nuts. She may just have a suu an kou. That would work just as well. Either way, she's coming with a yakuman.
Old 2009-07-31, 18:34   Link #110
Hurricanez
Air Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Spoiler for for my weird ways :):
there is nothing to hide it.

its all good, desu.
Hurricanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 01:20   Link #111
metronome
Mad Loli

Hmm, looking at the anime preview, seems like koromo discards that 1 pin/ball and someone pung it....
Old 2009-08-03, 01:30   Link #112
Proto

I think rather than a pung it's a kan, since she's revealing 3 1-pin from her hand.

So at least in the anime either she's going for a su-kantsu or she's trying to prop Yumi with some dora's so that she can ron koromo. Only two real possibilities I see.
Old 2009-08-03, 02:12   Link #113
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Well, the only person whose hand you don't see in c51 is Yumi's, so having that data might explain what happens later on after Saki calls the 1-pin.

But I guess the end is going to be even weirder than I thought it would be. I lose points for thinking too conventionally.

I wonder if Kobayashi will be able to wrap up the taisho round this week if he goes that way with the story. (Yumi winning off of Koromo, and dragging the round out even longer.) I was thinking that they'd try to coordinate wrapping up the arc in both the manga and the anime at the same time... but now I'm having serious doubts about that. I'm sure the anime will be done with it next week. But the manga? Not too sure about that now.
Old 2009-08-03, 05:32   Link #114
Bambi

Bah, that preview really made mess in my nice theorycraft
Btw I wonder about counting score after Su Kantsu, if forth Kan is open is it considered ron? Anyway I don't think it will end this way, but right now I'll rather wait till end of week then make another theorycraft

But somehow I still believe it will end in ch52 ..... I hope
Old 2009-08-03, 10:57   Link #115
cynicalicious
I like pie.

I wonder if Yuuki's explanation of the rule in this tournament where someone who plays into an open kan which leads to a rin-shan-kai-hou pays as if it's a ron in the anime means that Saki's going to win that way?

Whenever someone goes to the trouble to point out a somewhat obscure rule like that, well, it usually becomes amazingly important. (And somewhat annoying.)
Old 2009-08-03, 11:48   Link #116
Proto

It's not really an obscure rule. Actually, personally I thought it was a standard play, and not an optional rule as they are playing it here.

(<-- Actually first heard of the rule in the Ishikawa vs Akagi match in Akagi)
Old 2009-08-03, 12:45   Link #117
metronome
Mad Loli

I do have a feeling that actually the game will ended by at least 2 player win koromo off, either saki and yumi(big chance), or saki and kana, or may be even 3 of them eats koromo points off haha.(this is if they try to follow reality in the real world, surprisingly enuff, statistic shows that the chance of 2 people winning off one people is higher than getting a special hand to beat one people out directly)

and about the rule mentions, actually in my play is like this:
You discard 6 pin, someone kang
and that guy keep kang until he won.
then you are the only payer(which hurts a LOT)- not 3 player....
but I know some guys play using 3-player-pays rule if someone get rin shan kai hou
so I always think it is standard rule too

ah this reminds me of my mahjong times
there was one time one of our friend get tsumo already, but he forgot, so he threw away that tile. and then we(3 other player) win at the same time the time he threw away that tile.....:P
that's kinda ironic and hurts a lot too.
hopefully koromo doesnt have to experience that.
Old 2009-08-03, 13:25   Link #118
Proto

Quote:
I do have a feeling that actually the game will ended by at least 2 player win koromo off, either saki and yumi(big chance), or saki and kana, or may be even 3 of them eats koromo points off haha.(this is if they try to follow reality in the real world, surprisingly enuff, statistic shows that the chance of 2 people winning off one people is higher than getting a special hand to beat one people out directly)
Actually in some rulesets a triple ron results in an abortive draw.
Old 2009-08-06, 20:38   Link #119
cynicalicious
I like pie.

So frustrating. All sorts of rumors are bouncing around about both the anime and its relation to the manga, and I can't discuss them either here or in the anime thread. -_-

That's what I get for reading 2chan... and JP blogs. Bah.

Just had to vent while waiting for c 52.
Old 2009-08-06, 20:56   Link #120
Proto

Don't bump the thread without reason! The moment I saw a new post a ran to some raw provider channels to see if the chapter was released. You meanie.

Why can't you discuss it? Trade secret?

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri