AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 19
10 out of 10 : Nearly Perfect... 30 28.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 34.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good... 8 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 5.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.94%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-11, 06:40   Link #161
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuu99 View Post
Gaining the trust of other races may be beneficial to his main mission in the long run, assuming the theory no race alone can reach the world tree is true. Kirito also learned from SAO that having good partners (eg. Asuna) is easier than soloing, especially at higher levels.
A two man and woman party with your girlfriend is the best party EVER!!!!

*Kill mobs, flirt, grinding then flirt, kill mobs again then flirt....grrrrhhhh
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 06:58   Link #162
xDrac

But still.... Kirito only has a week right? Not much time, imo he should be in a rush and he clearly isn't. (or doesnt seem to be in too much of a rush)
xDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 07:04   Link #163
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrac View Post
But still.... Kirito only has a week right? Not much time, imo he should be in a rush and he clearly isn't. (or doesnt seem to be in too much of a rush)
It's only been a little bit over 2 days since he met Sugou at Asuna's hospital room.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 07:11   Link #164
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Honestly, I'm sad at the lack of urgency Kirito shows to save his girlfriend
Poor Asuna....
Gotta hate Lyfa for distracting him from his main mission. Would like ALO much more if it was only Kirito.
Nah, it's because Kirito is a private person so he doesn’t show how stressed he is. Remember that he has the experience of living for two years under constant threat for his life and tried to still be able to enjoy his live (and his love) to the fullest during that time. So it is hardly strange that he can enjoy the game while still keeping his focus on what his main goal is.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 07:56   Link #165
Methuselah
Payback is a b*t#8, huh?

Kirito seems to have it under control. He even knew what Leafa was talking about when she mentioned to him about "there will be a meeting in 45minutes of many nations" whereas he instantly asks what Salamander will benefit from attacking.

Dunno... I don't feel like he is screwing around during the deadline.
Methuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 08:06   Link #166
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Well as was pointed out earlier what's the point of going to the World Tree if you'll be defeated? As was said in the beginning, getting to the top of the world tree has been the main quest since the start of ALO. Many of the ALO races armies have tried and failed. Maybe Kirito's thought of getting a coalition of races to try is what is needed to break through the obstacles?

I dunno, I just think that getting in the good graces of the 2 leaders of the games races fits perfectly with Kirito's goal of getting to the top of the world tree. Actually it makes more sense than trying to do another one man show ala 74th SAO floor boss. O-o

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 08:15   Link #167
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Guys... Just give them some items and they're all happy.
Old 2012-11-11, 08:23   Link #168
Bombo
TSF Fans

Amazing episode...I have been waiting for this moment
Finally i can see the monster even i thought will be dragon = \ ... Yui cheering Bunch her baba so cute ~~~and kirito like to eat human and how he can trade with players ...YEAH ITEMS Over friends XD.
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 08:31   Link #169
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Guys... Just give them some items and they're all happy.
Men will always be men I guess.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 08:31   Link #170
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Acting decisively and rushing are two completely different things. (quote from some movie). Right now he is doing the former.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 09:32   Link #171
Seiryuu

So, according to this episode just after 9 minutes, Sugu's avatar's romanization is neither Lyfa nor Leafa, it's Leefa. Good to know.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 10:52   Link #172
dmaxzero

Somehow the in source material this episode was more badass and fun. The whole quests to rescue Asuna is like somewhere else here.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 11:47   Link #173
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Illusion is meant to fool only the eyes. If strictly speaking, it should never increase nor decrease your character's current health, energy and attack rate. The only possible effect could be putting your enemy in confusion, lowering the attack, defense and critical rates

You said it friend. +
Not sure why so many seem to think Illusions can't do damage. Especially given we're all watching anime here.

Think about all other illusion user characters in anime, more times than not. Illusions DO end up being able to do physical damage, if they're strong enough. The whole "your mind makes it real" And even more so in videogames.

I'm playing an MMO right now, where a class has a tree called Illusion. And half the spells are to the effort of "Makes target think they are cast aflame" and guess what, it ends up inflecting burning status on them AND does burning DoT damage despite it saying in-game its an illusion, but it still strong enough to do physical damage to the target. In fact, Illusion and Transformation are pretty much the same tree.

Taking Kirito's example directly. It makes sense that its classified as an 'illusion' He didn't REALLY turn into an actual monster, he just took on the guise of one. And along with it, gained +reach, and +size. But he's didn't actually turn into the monster 1 for 1. If he was just a lv5 regular newbie, turning into it would actually work against him because he still has the crappy stats and is now a bigger target.

Kirito would have been able to slaughter the whole army in regular form with his broken stats, only reason he couldn't was because of the super defensive tanking formation the group took. The group might have still had a chance after he changed if they didn't all suddenly panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
Somehow the in source material this episode was more badass and fun. The whole quests to rescue Asuna is like somewhere else here.
lol, your right.

In fact, I totally forgot about Asuna while watching this entire episode till the very end.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2012-11-11 at 11:58.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 12:07   Link #174
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Great ep, pacing was fun, didn't feel any dragginess. It's a mark of how good an episode is when it ends and i go, "Wait it's done?"

Also, that underground city is totally Blackreach. And actually chanting words to form spells is :3

Also, I totally feel that a whole bunch of players in their 30s and 40s, upon entering this dungeon, were most disappointed when the three most commonly said words in Skyrim didn't work, lol. Too bad we don't have shouts.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 12:25   Link #175
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This episode was just fun. I suppose in a game like this a spell that turns you into a monster doesn't sound too amazing. But anyone who was in SAO knows that boss monsters are scary as hell. All the more reason to look similar to "The Gleam Eyes" who sent Kirito and Asuna running and screaming when they first saw him . Probably aren't many boss monsters aside for particular quests.

Just shows that Kirito is always going to carry those experiences. Just because he knows they will be alright if they die there doesn't mean he can just take it. Living two years in SAO and having to survive everything changes your perspective.

Still, some good laughs. Be it Kirito freaking Leafa out with putting her fingers in his mouth or making that deal to get information .
Old 2012-11-11, 12:44   Link #176
shadow1296

what i dont get why did he become gleam eyes, the spell only said he'd become a giant monster not specifically gleam eyes, is its effect causes Random SAO bosses transform into or was it the first thing that the first thing that came to his head that he thought was scary because if thats the case why didn't he become the giant skull centipede from floor 75 thats much more intimidating or does the monster he becomes have to have a somewhat human shape?
Old 2012-11-11, 13:00   Link #177
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
what i dont get why did he become gleam eyes, the spell only said he'd become a giant monster not specifically gleam eyes, is its effect causes Random SAO bosses transform into or was it the first thing that the first thing that came to his head that he thought was scary because if thats the case why didn't he become the giant skull centipede from floor 75 thats much more intimidating or does the monster he becomes have to have a somewhat human shape?
I think he just become the Gleam-Eyes by change.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 13:49   Link #178
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
Maybe it does involve having some kind of mental image. It'd be a really random thing if they just spun a roulette for any monster in the entire game. Though that doesn't mean it isn't random. As to why the Gleam Eyes, maybe it is because that humanoid shape is easier to handle. It's like the wings thing, took a while to get everything down with that. Couldn't afford to be tripping over all those legs. Plus that boss is more than intimidating enough for the job.

Is something to wonder about. If he has any control over the form and if he does was it simply the first monster that came to mind?
Old 2012-11-11, 13:55   Link #179
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Haven't really felt a need to post until now, but I have to say, I'm generally enjoying this. At least, I think this second arc is a bit better than the first; storyline is a bit tighter, more focused, and a distinct lack of month-long time skips. (I can go into my thoughts on the first arc elsewhere if people are interested).

But as for this arc and episode, I am a bit put off by the little-sister-crush angle, mostly for the cliche reasons. Also, yet another ingame girl crushes on a guy; this IS an MMO, and girls don't instantly crush on ingame guys, unless they are trying to get free stuff. It's more of a personal pet peeve than anything, but I would have preferred Leafa helping Kirito just because she is a good person, or because of simple friendship, or even just to repay a debt (frustration with Recon can play a role in there, too).

But, overall I can ignore this aspect, because it is a fairly decent anime. Not perfect, and not the best, and it doesn't aim to raise any bars; but neither does it dive below them.

More particularly to this episode, it spoke to my pet peeve of shields. At least in the first arc, the shield was moved to block the blow. There was plenty of room to go around three stationary guys; at the least, the shield people should have been moving around to block his movement.

As for the "illusion" considering the spell came from Yui, and Kirito is fairly hax anyway, so I'll just presume it was tweaked until we get an explanation. Given that the mind can be convinced of anything (which brings up several interesting theorems in the context of a realistic VR simulation), there is wiggle room for surprising conclusions.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 17:19   Link #180
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Again, I'd like to point out, that D&D, arguably the mother of all RPG's, has plenty of illusions that deal damage. "Your mind makes it real" is old. Very old.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote